AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-05, 13:29   Link #161
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

They should just done original anime IMO.
Old 2013-04-05, 13:41   Link #162
Urizithar

If I'd like to watch live action I would be watching it. No need to push it on me -> dropped. It may have awesome story but as an anime it's shit cause it actually isn't anime at all.
Urizithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 13:49   Link #163
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

My own opinion is that this first episode was visually outstanding. I loved it. The realistic detail and tiny movements that rotoscoping made possible really worked for me. I liked the fact that so many of the girls were chunky -- just like in a real school. I even liked the way people's features only appeared as they walked closer to us.

The story is evolving slowly, but the feeling of this show is just excellent, so far. At a higher aesthetic level, patiently carrying us toward flowers of evil.

I dropped the manga after a few chapters, because it was so oppressively dark, but we'll see how this progresses. It will have served a purpose if we all read a bit of the poetry of Baudelaire:

"O Death, old captain, it is time. Let us raise anchor!
This country bores us, let us set sail!
Though the sky and sea are black as ink,
You know our hearts are filled with rays of light.

"Pour out your poison to comfort us!
This fire burns our brains. We want to
Plunge to the bottom of the gulf -- Hell or Heaven, it matters not.
To the depths of the Unknown, to find something new!"

Something like this anime.

EDIT: I also loved the BGM/sound effects. And the MC's lively dead eyes. This is one of those anime episodes that was over before I thought it was half done. Great sign. I think the "anime community" has totally missed the boat. For one episode, at least, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2013-04-05 at 15:33.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 13:53   Link #164
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Did people ever learn from the horrible animated movie "Lord of the Rings"? I guess they did not.
But that wasn't horrible because of the animation -- it was horrible because they had terrible designs for the orcs and Balrog, a terrible script, and they ran out of money halfway through. The shots of the Fellowship in that clip look really good, and I'd go see a film in that style if all of it were that quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Well, they've successfully drawn the attention of the entire anime-watching community with this. Time to check it out.
On the plus side, you don't often get three pages of discussion just on a raw.

However I suspect most people are just coming in to trash the show without even watching it and will disappear by next episode.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 14:10   Link #165
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I liked the fact that so many of the girls were chunky -- just like in a real school.
Too bad most people don't watch anime because they want realistic character designs. That's what the j-dramas are for.

And people wouldn't be complaining so much if it was not a highly anticipated adaptation of an actual story with set character designs.

If they wanted to try out new things, they should have done it in an Original Anime, and there wouldn't be such a fuss over it.
Take Panty and Stocking for example. Some people liked the PPG art, and those who did not just dropped it right there without losing a thing.
In this case, fans of the manga pretty much got screwed.
Old 2013-04-05, 14:34   Link #166
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I actually don't remember the last time the whole anime community have collectively hated something. The first thing that pops into my head is Endless Eight. That expectation and let down can get to you.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 15:11   Link #167
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
I actually don't remember the last time the whole anime community have collectively hated something. The first thing that pops into my head is Endless Eight. That expectation and let down can get to you.
That's right, and in a global level btw. I'll see just few minutes, but I really think I won't follow this anime (just the manga that was like a bomb after the first part).

Truth be told, there is a small percentage of people that actually like it, but so far, the amount of rage I'm seeing is too big.
Syokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 15:31   Link #168
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Gotta say this is perfect so far. A story about evil springing into the hearts of youngsters because they are forced to live in a routine life is literally shitting on what is routine for anime viewers!

Rejoice you shit eating anime viewers! This show will definitely push you out of your boring routine!

That said I fucking hate the character designs too lol
Old 2013-04-05, 15:53   Link #169
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina_putri View Post
Can someone gives a summary from this link? I think an it's interview between the mangaka/author and the anime director.

http://natalie.mu/comic/pp/akunohana

Edit: Using Google Translate, it seems the mangaka/author recognized that the character visuals is going to "murder" the readers of the manga.
And Google Translate is lying.

In short (note that this is a quick & dirty summary):
- At first Nagahama (the director) refused the offer to direct the adaptation, because he thought that simply turning this manga into a pretty, clean-looking anime would be pointless. He says that he believes that when the mangaka draws this story he's seeing something "else" which he expresses as a manga. So there would be no point in simply presenting it in animated form, at that rate you might as well just read the manga and be done with it.
- He thought if it was to be adapted at all, it should be done as a live drama. When he was offered the job the second time, he pitched the idea of using rotoscope. He was aware that the result would be different from the manga.
- Oshimi (the mangaka) says Nagahama is right about the way he creates the manga: the original story is something that exists in his head, and he draws what he sees in his mind. So basically the anime and the manga are two different versions of the story that exists in Oshimi's head. By the way, he was also aware that due to the rotoscope the anime would look different from his work, and he thought it was an interesting idea.
- Oshimi also says that he thinks Nagahama has a very deep insight into the story, and firmly believes that he's taking it in the right direction. He also very much approves of Nagahama's wish of the anime leaving the viewers with a scar.
- Oshimi was pretty much "in" on the whole thing, they tested the rotoscope method on him.
- The interviewer asks about the impact the visuals would have on viewers, and Nagahama says he's well aware that a lot of people will go "what the fuck" and "this is gross," "I hate this, I'm not watching this." But he's pretty much okay with that, too, because he thinks it's fine as long as it leaves an impact on people. Viewers may dismiss it right away, but some may check it out later and find it interesting, or they may come across the manga, recognize the title, and read that.
- Oshimi says that he once got a fan letter from a high school girl who wrote that when she read the manga in middle school she thought it was stupid, but she tried to read it again when she was older and she found it very good. Nagahama says that this is what he's going for, to leave an impact, even if it's negative. He's trying to create something that one can't just ignore or dismiss.
- Oshimi also says that the anime has many scenes that he wishes he would've drawn the way they are in the anime, for example a scene with Kasuga and Nakamura in the classroom.
- Also, he confesses he's writing the manga with the intention of murdering the readers with it (metaphorically, of course), thinks the anime is doing the same, and relishes the idea of the viewers getting slaughtered, jokingly of course. (lol #1)

They leave the following messages to the fans:
- Oshimi: He guarantees that those who feel very strongly about Aku no hana will enjoy the anime. However, chara-moe types, those who go "Nakamura-san, unf unf" will probably feel betrayed. (lol #2)
- Nagahama: Since it's so different from the usual anime, he can't say that everyone will love it. But those who watch the first episode and think "I want to see more" will not have their expectations betrayed.

If anything, this made me want to watch the show even more. I hope they're right and it's going to be interesting.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-04-05 at 16:27.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 15:57   Link #170
zarqu
Stüldt Håjt!

I freaking loved the Kubrick stare scene. The character designs are unorthodox, but I didn't find them so rage worthy as rest of the internet, it seems. It felt weird seeing faces appear out of nowhere, though

I'm actually looking forward to what this series has to offer next. Kaoru Chujo described the manga as "oppressively dark", which can only be a good thing.

edit: Super Hans' quote in my sig feels oddly on point...
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 15:58   Link #171
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I initially didn't intend to watch this but I at least had to check out the first episode after this shit storm. After a deep analysis and careful consideration... ... I came to the conclusion the animation style is garbage. The chara design is stuck in some kind of uncanny valley. It's not as good as live action nor traditional animation. The movements of the characters are jerky. Characters in the background are sometimes frozen with a dumb smile on their face, killing any kind of immersion this style could have created. Reused footage is very obvious (not much in this ep but it'll probably get worse over time).

At the end you can only wonder why they didn't make this into a live action. This series doesn't have any added value compared to it, it in fact looks worse. If they didn't want to make this a traditional anime, they shouldn't have made this at all. I fail to see how the rotoscoping makes this any better than it would have been as a normal anime. To me, this style only detracts from the story. I laughed quite a few times while watching this, and I doubt it was their intention to make this funny.

It's a shame because it wasn't all bad. The backgrounds, the music, and the voice acting were excellent. Can't comment on the plot since nothing happened but I enjoyed the oppressing atmosphere.
Old 2013-04-05, 15:59   Link #172
kitten320

I like rotoscoping but that's just horrible... I won't be able to watch this kind of style for 12 or whatever number of episodes... even 20 minutes is too much!
Old 2013-04-05, 16:03   Link #173
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Don't get me wrong, I think the manga's art is absolutely gorgeous. But I like the anime's art because it looks more realistic, or I what I think is the more 'average' Japanese schoolpeople looks. Sure it's still too early to tell, but this art direction might be more suited to the story they are going to tell.

But then again, I'm one of the few that had the slightly chubbier designs of Real Drive grow on me. I can just imagine the otaku fanbase not buying into this.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 16:06   Link #174
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Viewers may dismiss it right away, but some may check it out later and find it interesting, or they may come across the manga, recognize the title, and read that.

Why would they pick it up again when they already know the story from the manga?

The only thing the anime was supposed to do is to add some nice visuals and sound to the manga, thus making the experience more complete. Since it pretty much failed to do that, there really is no point in watching the anime once you had read the manga.
Old 2013-04-05, 16:09   Link #175
RollingPenguin

Quote:
Reused footage is very obvious (not much in this ep but it'll probably get worse over time).
I think there was a thematic purpose to that actually.The reason why they only adapted 20 pages of first chapter and used same footage was to show monotony and repetitious activity of adolescent life.
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 16:10   Link #176
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
Why would they pick it up again when they already know the story from the manga?
Perhaps because... wait for it... no, really, this may be surprising... not everyone reads the manga? I know, I know, I was shocked, too. (And I haven't even read the manga!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
The only thing the anime was supposed to do is to add some nice visuals and sound to the manga, thus making the experience more complete. Since it pretty much failed to do that, there really is no point in watching the anime once you had read the manga.
That's exactly why the director said that turning it into a traditional anime would be pointless.

FWIW, I'm no fan of rotoscope either, but if that's how this show wants to roll, fine, at least it's doing something interesting with it.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 16:16   Link #177
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarqu View Post
I'm actually looking forward to what this series has to offer next. Kaoru Chujo described the manga as "oppressively dark", which can only be a good thing.
As a connoisseur of grim/dark anime, I don't think oppressively dark is really the right word for it.

For me, it's not the darkness that's oppressive but the angst. I mean this might be the angstiest manga ever with the most hopeless cast of characters. It's kind of similar to Watamoto in the hopeless angsty feel that it gives you although this series is even more angsty, though slightly less dark, than Watamoto.

That being said the characters and relationships in this story are some of the most honest I've seen in a romance manga and that's what makes it impossible for me to stop reading the manga even though I hate most of the characters and find it nauseatingly angsty.

It's just so believable.

Anyways, about to watch the first episode. Interested to see how the roto-scoping looks.
Old 2013-04-05, 16:17   Link #178
Revan21

Quote:
Perhaps because... wait for it... no, really, this may be surprising... not everyone reads the manga? I know, I know, I was shocked, too. (And I haven't even read the manga!)
Still, take one look at the anime and another one at the manga. I don't see why anyone would want to watch the anime first instead of reading the manga.
Wel, maybe those who don't like to read or the manga is not translated to their language.
Old 2013-04-05, 16:21   Link #179
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

Sorry to say this and i apologize in advance but this adaption is a PURE SHIT. Is something so bad that i don't have more words to describe it, pure shit, unoriginal, not elegant, junk.

I think this is the first time drop an anime after the first episode but really, i can't stand this distort chara and animation, my body refuse, i feel like i want to throw up. Is like they raped a good plot.

I love anime because they have a original and beautyful style, far from the west stereotypes, this roto-crap seems an late 80 european cartoon. I hope the producer get fired along with the people who did this.

Why they don't make an dorama? An doarama like the author want...

Dropped. This not japan animation, this is an offense to all anime fans. Fuck you to the animation studio who make it from the bottom of my heart.

1/10 regardless the story can be a masterpiece or not.
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 16:27   Link #180
Revan21

Quote:
That's exactly why the director said that turning it into a traditional anime would be pointless.
Even his untraditional approach is worthless when it looks like this

The director says it's fine that people don't like it as long as it leaves an impact on them. But does an impact that leads to the dropping of the series after a few minutes in really proves/worth something? And with 30shows coming out in every season, he's really stupid to believe that someone will pick it up later when they did not like it for the first time.

Tags
avantgarde, romance