AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: What matters more to you: Foreshadowing or Surprise?
Surprises Galore! This is what makes Code Geass/Valvrave such wild memorable rides! 4 13.79%
Surprises. Little foreshadowing, *just* enough for plot twists to make sense after the fact 19 65.52%
Solid foreshadowing. One plot twist per show is fine, but more than that is pushing it. 5 17.24%
Much foreshadowing. I'm Keima Katsuragi! I want to see the ending from almost the very beginning! 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-03-17, 23:03   Link #21
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Surprises with little foreshadowing to explain it later is what I prefer. Typically because I miss the foreshadowing in the first place until I get whacked with a surprise. Then I look back and am amazed by the foreshadowing that was hidden. That's the type of thing I really like.
Old 2014-03-18, 04:22   Link #22
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Surprise and foreshadowing are not mutually exclusive and they have different narrative goals. At the end of the day, it's a case by case basis. Not a useful comparison IMO.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-18, 05:02   Link #23
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Surprise and foreshadowing are not mutually exclusive and they have different narrative goals. At the end of the day, it's a case by case basis. Not a useful comparison IMO.
I think you're underestimating the impact of foreshadowing. I also think that the more idealistic responses to this thread might also be underestimating it.

Yes, the odd extremely well-written show (at least in this respect) may manage to have foreshadowing without completely tipping viewers off to the coming surprise (if the goal is to be surprising). But that's very and increasingly rare, in my experience.

Consider death flags, which is basically a form of foreshadowing (even if it is an ironic one, at times - i.e. Characters X says A, meaning he's sort of jinxed himself and -A is going to happen). How often do people here on Anime Suki fail to pick up on death-flags? Very rarely, in my experience. A death flag basically gives the surprise away (the character death to come may otherwise have been a surprise, even if an upsetting one).

Quite often, if not typically, there is a trade-off between having foreshadowing or having surprises (and to the extent you can have both, it typically must be very light foreshadowing indeed). This is the reality of entertainment in the internet age where viewers are increasingly genre savvy.
Old 2014-03-18, 08:27   Link #24
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Voted 2. I love to be surprised, but I hate the Valvrave style of storytelling. Twists need to make sense and not come out of absolutely nowhere. A little foreshadowing is necessary. As Aohige already said, the best kind of foreshadowing is the one you don't notice until after the big reveal. Unfortunately, few writers can pull that off. More often than not, the foreshadowing is too strong and ruin the impact of the surprises. I think it's always better to have too much foreshadowing than none at all though.
Old 2014-03-19, 01:18   Link #25
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'm more surprised at the examples that something like OreImo got brought up in this conversation, as the development of the romance seems (to me) very clear from the beginning of the story to the end. If people were really "surprised!" by it to that degree, I think they missed a lot of foreshadowing. Of course that doesn't mean that every detail and twist is completely obvious (I myself had guessed a slightly different permutation), but I would think it falls somewhere in the acceptable (?) range of "a small surprise to many that you can more easily coming in retrospect".

I'm not sure if there's a side conversation that could be had about cases where the "surprise" was indeed foreshadowed, but some were so hoping for something else that they allowed themselves to be "suckered" into a false sense of hope/security in terms of the plot direction. This ties in to a conversation we had in the other thread about "defeat" in romance series. But perhaps this is always the case with surprises, even if they're foreshadowed; as was mentioned, there are many ways to throw people off the trail, even if the evidence is clearly there.

Anyway, going to leave this here for whatever it's worth, but it isn't really part of the core debate except in that it was introduced to the discussion previously.

TL;DR…
OreImo replies to Archon_Wing
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-03-19, 06:37   Link #26
Vegard Aune

It is my opinion that plot-twists are a fickle business, and one that is very difficult to get completely right. Don't set it up clearly enough, and viewers will perceive it as a deus ex machina, and think less of the story because the big twist just sorta happened with no prior indication that it was possible. Set it up too overtly, and viewers won't be surprised because they'll have long since figured it out anyway, in which case they might think less of the story because the big twist was obvious from a mile away.
So for me, it's an easy choice for the second option. Foreshadow it just enough that the twist will make sense when it happens, but not so clearly that the audience will actually figure it out before it comes. And then looking back at it in hindsight when they know that the twist in question will happen, they suddenly see that the clues were there all along. Of course this is easier said than done, but yeah, that to me is the ideal way to do it.
Old 2014-03-19, 12:51   Link #27
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'm more surprised at the examples that something like OreImo got brought up in this conversation, as the development of the romance seems (to me) very clear from the beginning of the story to the end. If people were really "surprised!" by it to that degree, I think they missed a lot of foreshadowing. Of course that doesn't mean that every detail and twist is completely obvious (I myself had guessed a slightly different permutation), but I would think it falls somewhere in the acceptable (?) range of "a small surprise to many that you can more easily coming in retrospect".

I'm not sure if there's a side conversation that could be had about cases where the "surprise" was indeed foreshadowed, but some were so hoping for something else that they allowed themselves to be "suckered" into a false sense of hope/security in terms of the plot direction. This ties in to a conversation we had in the other thread about "defeat" in romance series. But perhaps this is always the case with surprises, even if they're foreshadowed; as was mentioned, there are many ways to throw people off the trail, even if the evidence is clearly there.

Anyway, going to leave this here for whatever it's worth, but it isn't really part of the core debate except in that it was introduced to the discussion previously.

TL;DR…
OreImo replies to Archon_Wing
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Of all honesty, I wasn't really paying attention to why this got in here, but I suppose I could indulge this.

Spoiler:

Ironic that this might belong in the other thread better. I think it's also fair to say I'm engaging in something called "premise sniping", which is something that is unfair in most contexts. I of course feel this is somewhat proper though.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 16:55   Link #28
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Spoiler:
Just a simple reply to this...

Spoiler for OreImo Plot and Themes:
Old 2014-03-19, 19:12   Link #29
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Oreimo:
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 20:23   Link #30
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Spoiler for Oreimo:
Spoiler for OreImo:

Anyway, I'm thinking now that maybe I should move the entire OreImo slice of this thread into its own thread in the OreImo section to be more clear, as I think it's sufficiently detached from the core debate of this thread.

Edit: And that aside, have any of the people commenting about this show actually watched it through from start to finish to understand how things are connected? For example, I see Marcus H. saying in another thread that he never watched the second season OVAs. How can you make any sort of reasonable argument about the plot themes and elements without considering the story on the whole and understanding the intricacies of the plot? Did you just assume "I understand enough of what it's about; I don't have to watch it"? No wonder what you're saying doesn't make any sense to me...
Old 2014-03-19, 20:30   Link #31
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Say, have anyone thinking that foreshadowing and surprise are for messing up cliches? For example, you thought that this character A will love B, but then the winner is C. In order to do that, what they have to do is making situations with layers of meaning under it. It's like putting false flags on a route.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 20:55   Link #32
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Anyway, I'm thinking now that maybe I should move the entire OreImo slice of this thread into its own thread in the OreImo section to be more clear, as I think it's sufficiently detached from the core debate of this thread.
No, anything but this. It's not every time that we have to discuss a particular series on its own series thread. This is why we have the General Anime subforum: to discuss anything about anime, specific series or whatever.

Quote:
Edit: And that aside, have any of the people commenting about this show actually watched it through from start to finish to understand how things are connected? For example, I see Marcus H. saying in another thread that he never watched the second season OVAs. How can you make any sort of reasonable argument about the plot themes and elements without considering the story on the whole and understanding the intricacies of the plot? Did you just assume "I understand enough of what it's about; I don't have to watch it"? No wonder what you're saying doesn't make any sense to me...
I've been spoiled enough to know everything that had happened in the Season 2 OVAs without needing to watch it.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2014-03-19, 22:02   Link #33
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
No, anything but this. It's not every time that we have to discuss a particular series on its own series thread. This is why we have the General Anime subforum: to discuss anything about anime, specific series or whatever.
No, our rules and guidelines state that discussions related to specific shows should go into the most appropriate location. You can't have threads in General Anime that would rightfully belong in another section, and extended tangents should be split off into their own thread in the more appropriate section. General Anime is not an "anything goes" sub-forum.

Quote:
I've been spoiled enough to know everything that had happened in the Season 2 OVAs without needing to watch it.
A key point in this thread is the relation between surprises (generally, plot twists) and foreshadowing, which tie back to the central narrative themes. How can you expect to understand the relationship between the elements if you don't actually pay attention to the details and go only based off of second-hand, biased reports? This is just another variation of "premise sniping" that is discussed in the other thread. I would say without reservation that you may think you know everything that happened in those OVAs, but you don't appear to understand it, or the significance/connectedness of it, at all. At this point, having already made your judgement, preserving objectivity if you do watch it may be difficult. (This doesn't mean that you will like it either way, of course.)
Old 2014-03-19, 22:14   Link #34
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
No, our rules and guidelines state that discussions related to specific shows should go into the most appropriate location. You can't have threads in General Anime that would rightfully belong in another section, and extended tangents should be split off into their own thread in the more appropriate section. General Anime is not an "anything goes" sub-forum.
You know that such an approach has killed off more discussions than ever.

Quote:
...(This doesn't mean that you will like it either way, of course.)
That's the reason why I wouldn't pick up the second season specials even if someone gives me a thousand bucks for it. It's not pretty, and will only ruin my day.

Old 2014-03-19, 22:52   Link #35
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Oreimo Season 2 and its specials were terrible series, not because of the "result" (though the result was in itself quite bad as it portrays a TERRIBLE message about sibling relationships) but because of what happened during its course. It trolled shippers and intentionally sunk them one by one whilst the author was laughing manically with a "UMAD" trollface. At least that is how I imagine it.

But it is far from the worst "asspull" I've seen in anime. That, or an example of that has to go to "Key" adaptations, in particular Clannad After Story.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 23:04   Link #36
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Oreimo Season 2 and its specials were terrible series, not because of the "result" (though the result was in itself quite bad as it portrays a TERRIBLE message about sibling relationships) but because of what happened during its course. It trolled shippers and intentionally sunk them one by one whilst the author was laughing manically with a "UMAD" trollface. At least that is how I imagine it.

But it is far from the worst "asspull" I've seen in anime. That, or an example of that has to go to "Key" adaptations, in particular Clannad After Story.
The later point I think also ties into RF pointing out issues of adaptation. where intent becomes horrifically clouded when transitioning into mediums, making it cause quite a dilemma. What may have maintained atmosphere over a long period of text doesn't work the same. What may have seem like adequate growth can seem rushed.

Spoiler for Clannad, Kanon, and Little Busters:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2014-03-19 at 23:21.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 23:23   Link #37
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
It trolled shippers and intentionally sunk them one by one whilst the author was laughing manically with a "UMAD" trollface. At least that is how I imagine it.
I still have to come to terms with exactly how/why people took it that way, but there's no discounting that this was the perception by some/many. I think it was actually quite important for the show's message for Kyousuke to do what he did, although some of it does come across as a bit disjointed given that adaptation compression factor. I really don't think any of it was an asspull, if you were paying attention to the way the plot was developed. It was all very properly foreshadowed and clear, particularly in retrospect. But again, to the theme of this thread, the gap between foreshadowing and "Surprise!" is apparently influenced by many factors, certainly not limited to shipping preferences.
Old 2014-03-19, 23:29   Link #38
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Life seldom comes with foreshadowing and neither should story twists. That's my general opinion. Having said that though I also enjoy being able to look back afterwards with 20/20 hindsight and see little signs that indicated the story might turn. Proof that the author knew in advance where he was going all along even if I didn't have a clue at the time.
I personally think that there is a consistency to our characters and personalities that does lead to a foreshadowing of sorts in our lives--and that should be reflected in storylines. Sudden external events can change the environment, but characters' reactions to them should correspond with what we know of their personalities.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 03:47   Link #39
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

A related issue is what defines a plot element as foreshadowing? Is it the foreshadowing that predicts the ending, or is it the ending that retrospectively defines earlier plot lines as a form of foreshadowing?

Put another way, if the ending of the story were to be changed, would the earlier clues still be foreshadowing, or would they become red herrings instead?

For me, the threshold between foreshadowing and surprise lies in the answer to the above. If the story is structured in such a way that the clues are well-hidden but also sufficiently well-established, such that during a rewatch, a viewer is led to the firm conclusion that the earlier clues retain their foreshadowing characteristics, then I would say that it's a well-written ending.

Conversely, if the structure of the story is such that there are so many clues strewn all over, to the point that a different ending would transform the actual foreshowing into red herrings and the actual red herrings into foreshadowing, then that crosses over to the realm of too much surprise for my liking.

Example:

Comments on Kokoro Connect's ending from another blog (not that I agree with the analysis, but it illustrates the approach I'm referring to)

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

Last edited by frivolity; 2014-03-20 at 04:03.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 04:01   Link #40
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Kokoro connect is just another example of another badly written melodrama anime that used a body-switching gimmick at first, then whatever the heck that supernatural being known as Heartseed wanted to do because he was bored and felt like it. It's a stupid idea and excuse of a vehicle for drama and it's an excuse of a series that got shippers riled up.

There were asspulls left right and centre, with the most notable being
Spoiler for Spoiler for Kokoro connect somewhere in the first third:

And there was that real life drama with a certain voice actress and eufonius somehow getting involved in that too...
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote