AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-05-01, 10:34   Link #141
DMurphy

I'm not really feeling that invested in Arc-V yet, oddly. But I'm sure I will, I do love Yu-Gi-Oh.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-01, 14:28   Link #142
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
That's not saying much Fact is the only main duelist in the Yugioh series who was shown to be really good through the first 4 episodes is Yusei but eventually they all lose big time.
Sure the others had wins over big opponents but most of them were luck early on Yuuma was shown to be utter crap as a duelist early. Jaden wasn't bad but he wasn't good either. Yugi was lucky to beat kaiba and really I have a hard time believing that was Yugi dueling for most of that series.
It really WASN'T Yugi most of the time, but Atem. Very few times did Yugi have any real input from what we've seen. It wouldn't be until times like vs. Mai in Duelist Kingdom (where he became a total fraidy cat most of the time), vs, brainwashed Bandit Keith, vs. brainwashed Joey, vs. Zork, or Atem himself that Yugi really had more direct Dueling involvement.

The only time Yusei really lost was the first time vs. Kiryu and Ccapac Apu, but Yusei was given uber plot-armor by conveniently having his D-Wheel break down out of nowhere and allowing him to avoid having his soul taken by Ccapac Apu, so in ways, it's hard to count that as a "whole" loss. Otherwise, he was a freaking Kira Yamato-level "Jesus" Duelist for 99% of the series, making the "heart of the cards" look like plain luck with his asspull draws, convenient Traps, uber-situational cards working at such perfect moments, etc.

Judai actually was pretty good in terms of Dueling itself, just not so much in the more "scholastic" side of it (as we see with his sleeping in classes and whatnot). Otherwise, he probably would not have been able to defeat Chronos, an Obelisk Blue teacher at that, in the first episode as he did or against Misawa, who had been able to lock him out of his Fusion strategy (at the time) with Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell, and so on.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-01, 16:50   Link #143
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post

Judai actually was pretty good in terms of Dueling itself, just not so much in the more "scholastic" side of it (as we see with his sleeping in classes and whatnot). Otherwise, he probably would not have been able to defeat Chronos, an Obelisk Blue teacher at that, in the first episode as he did or against Misawa, who had been able to lock him out of his Fusion strategy (at the time) with Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell, and so on.
Crowler was pretty weak as a duelist and really if you look at his duels notice that really flame wingman and Thunder giant won him most of his early games the neo-spacians never made sense to me as for Bastion that was really his most impressive duel from what I saw
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-01, 17:10   Link #144
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
Crowler was pretty weak as a duelist and really if you look at his duels notice that really flame wingman and Thunder giant won him most of his early games the neo-spacians never made sense to me as for Bastion that was really his most impressive duel from what I saw
Chronos makes up for quite a bit of it when it came to Dueling Camilla and his rematch with Judai in Season 3. I blame his superiority complex from early on (underestimating his opponents) for his failures. As soon as he started to let that go (the whole "Obelisk Blue > Osiris Red" no matter what), he quickly started becoming a better character.

I didn't mind the Neos stuff too much early on, but as soon as there was way more support and stuff like Rainbow Neos, Neos Wiseman, and God Neos appearing out of nowhere, I got tired of it. And then you had stuff like D. Heroes and even Evil Heroes that clearly mocked the E. Heroes, so it really made me wish the E. Heroes got more general "E. Hero" support to help them keep up.
Old 2014-05-02, 11:24   Link #145
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
The only time Yusei really lost was the first time vs. Kiryu and Ccapac Apu, but Yusei was given uber plot-armor by conveniently having his D-Wheel break down out of nowhere and allowing him to avoid having his soul taken by Ccapac Apu, so in ways, it's hard to count that as a "whole" loss. Otherwise, he was a freaking Kira Yamato-level "Jesus" Duelist for 99% of the series, making the "heart of the cards" look like plain luck with his asspull draws, convenient Traps, uber-situational cards working at such perfect moments, etc.
We have to remember that Yusei did lose to Jack before the series started (Ep 2. in a flashback) and during that loss, he started to use more spell and traps cards. Plus he was very smart (he builded three D-Runners, help Crow on his, made D-Boards for the kids) so that is the reason why that he because a duelist like that and why LDS has a classes about him (Fudou Style Solitaire Theory).
Old 2014-05-02, 15:43   Link #146
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

reoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
We have to remember that Yusei did lose to Jack before the series started (Ep 2. in a flashback) and during that loss, he started to use more spell and traps cards. Plus he was very smart (he builded three D-Runners, help Crow on his, made D-Boards for the kids) so that is the reason why that he because a duelist like that and why LDS has a classes about him (Fudou Style Solitaire Theory).
Which is why I didn't mention it; that loss didn't take place in the series itself, but before the series.
Old 2014-05-02, 22:52   Link #147
justavisitor

Plus at this moment Yusei is the only one who never needs any partner to win the duel.

Atem-yugi Judai-Yubel?? (never finish the whole gx) and Yuma-astral (speaking about astral, in theory, he could actually always take a look at the opponent's cards while yuma is dueling XD)

and if you think drawing uber-situational card is bad, take a good look at zexal ep 98...yuma draws the wrong card, shows it to the opponent and he changes the appearance of the card by performing "re contract universe"!!

Frankly i don't mind those, as long as they do it with a cool pose, great bgm, and good story XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 23:00   Link #148
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Plus at this moment Yusei is the only one who never needs any partner to win the duel.

Atem-yugi Judai-Yubel?? (never finish the whole gx) and Yuma-astral (speaking about astral, in theory, he could actually always take a look at the opponent's cards while yuma is dueling XD)

and if you think drawing uber-situational card is bad, take a good look at zexal ep 98...yuma draws the wrong card, shows it to the opponent and he changes the appearance of the card by performing "re contract universe"!!

Frankly i don't mind those, as long as they do it with a cool pose, great bgm, and good story XD
Actually, Yusei had Jack and Crow help him against Rex, and also had Team 5D's during the D-Wheel Tournament (Jack and Crow, though Aki substituted during the preliminaries when Crow was injured), but with how "godly" Yusei was made, he may as well have been by himself as he's the one who tended to completely steal the spotlight and was the last one to Duel among the team each time, thus being the one to finish the opposing team.

Yugi had Atem, though it was primarily Atem who did a majority of the Dueling (no Dueling input from Yugi). I'd say the closest there was was against Mai and then Pegasus.

Judai only really had Yubel's power, but didn't exactly have Yubel alongside him, giving him tips and whatnot Only made a few "spiritual" appearances, but not much more than that.

Yuma was the only one who really had a partner through Astral, but even that sort of waned later in the series compared to early on (where Astral actually would tell Yuma what cards he should use and such).
Old 2014-05-02, 23:46   Link #149
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

I didnt mind because GOD the duels in 5Ds were entertaining as hell especially with the strategic side
but anyways im glad the actual duel got more focused on in this episode. Even if the actual duel was pretty 'eh'
Great ending to it though
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 00:11   Link #150
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
I didnt mind because GOD the duels in 5Ds were entertaining as hell especially with the strategic side
but anyways im glad the actual duel got more focused on in this episode. Even if the actual duel was pretty 'eh'
Great ending to it though
Eh, honestly, to me, there wasn't that much strategy, especially later on, and especially in the Riding Duels, where regular Magic Cards were never used (as it would result in taking 2000 damage) and only Speed Spells (which they really started seeing very little use later outside of Speed Spell - Angel Baton for convenient drawing). The rest of the time, it's constant (uber-)situational Trap Cards.

There's not many combos and strategy like you would see in Duel Monsters or even GX outside of spamming Special Summons for an easy Synchro Summon or something.
Old 2014-05-03, 04:55   Link #151
DMurphy

Then again, the duels in the series have always held little to no resemblance to actual dueling. Yusei and Yuma were the grand high kings of eerily specific situational cards; Jaden always seemed to have access to Polymerisation despite presumably having only three in his deck; and half the time Yugi didn't even obey the rules.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 05:03   Link #152
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
and half the time Yugi didn't even obey the rules.
no, its malik. jounochi won against him but suddenly he died before he launch the attack
Old 2014-05-03, 12:28   Link #153
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Then again, the duels in the series have always held little to no resemblance to actual dueling. Yusei and Yuma were the grand high kings of eerily specific situational cards; Jaden always seemed to have access to Polymerisation despite presumably having only three in his deck; and half the time Yugi didn't even obey the rules.
At least Judai eventually got things like Miracle Fusion (and the manga, had things like Another Fusion, Spirit Fusion, Fusion Birth, and whatnot) and used other things like Fusion Sage, Friend Dog/"Wroughtweiler", Fusion Recovery, and so forth for Polymerization or Fusion in general.

And Yugi/Atem DID obey the rules. The anime/manga of Yu-Gi-Oh! came out before the actual card game, and even then, the earliest version of the game (by Bandai) played out pretty similarly to the manga. So, technically the modern OCG/TCG that most people know of doesn't "obey the rules", lol. Obviously quite a number of things were changed around for gameplay and balance purposes.
Old 2014-05-04, 01:43   Link #154
balongbitz
Ordinary Bystander

oh yeah, episode 5 of Arc V will be moved next week due to the world table tennis relay 2014 tokyo conference(that's what translated on google translate).
Old 2014-05-11, 19:35   Link #155
bakato

Good news. I took a peek at the summary for the next episode and the next episode titles. Looks like we're getting a throwback to previous types of summoning.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-11, 19:40   Link #156
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Not much really. A Fusion today, a Synchro Summon, and such. Given there's no brand new Extra Deck mechanic this time like Synchros and Xyzs were, unlike 5D's and ZeXal, they can actually afford to keep using such things and not have to pretend that the previous thing(s) barely existed just to keep attention on the new thing.
Old 2014-05-11, 19:44   Link #157
bakato

Quote:
Not much really. A Fusion today, a Synchro Summon, and such. Given there's no brand new Extra Deck mechanic this time like Synchros and Xyzs were, unlike 5D's and ZeXal, they can actually afford to keep using such things and not have to pretend that the previous thing(s) barely existed just to keep attention on the new thing.
Spoiler for Summons:

Besides, with our main character the only one capable of using Pendulum summons, it makes sense for other characters to use previous forms of summoning.
Old 2014-05-11, 20:35   Link #158
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Spoiler for Summons:

Besides, with our main character the only one capable of using Pendulum summons, it makes sense for other characters to use previous forms of summoning.
Technically the Fusion Summon happened already as episode 5 came out RAW today;

Furnimal Bear
Earth/Fairy/3/1200/800
You can Tribute this card, then target 1 "Polymerization" card in your Graveyard. Add that target to your hand.

Edge Imp Scissor
Dark/Fiend/3/1200/800
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned, you can target 1 "Furnimal" monster you control. Return that target to the hand, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Furnimal" monster from your hand.

Des Troy Scissor Bear
Dark/Fiend/6/2200/1800
"Furnimal Bear" + "Edge Imp Scissor"
Once per turn, when this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, you can equip the destroyed monster to this card. This card gains ATK equal to the combined ATK of the monsters equipped to it by this effect.
Old 2014-05-14, 15:30   Link #159
Awrya
U mad?

Fusion monsters finally appear.
I wonder if some later characters will use a mix of xyz, synchro and fusion monsters, similar to real life decks?
Old 2014-05-14, 21:11   Link #160
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Fusion monsters finally appear.
I wonder if some later characters will use a mix of xyz, synchro and fusion monsters, similar to real life decks?
I hope so! Then we'll be able to see how well Pendulum summon stacks of against its predecessors.