Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-26, 10:31   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Thoughts on the Winter/Spring season

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the selection of spring anime kind of disconcerting? Not only is there half as many as fall, but most also seem of a much lower quality on initial inspection. I've researched the few I could get info on and out of the 6 I bookmarked for review, I may only track one of them depending on the quality of the first 3 episodes. That's one out of nearly 26 shows!! Of course fall was worse. Nearly 60 shows and I only ended up tracking 5 of them. I'm starting to think that this anime glut someone mentioned a while back is really starting to show itself in the same way the movie glut in america is. IE lots of shows, very little quality. Is there any one series (or more than one) that you guys feel will stand out this spring, or are you also feeling that this is going to be another slow/poor season.

hehe. As an interesting aside, during the fall 2003 and spring 2004 seasons my internet connection just about had a bloody heart attack with all the series I was tracking and downloading. I think at one time I was tracking over 35 series in each season alone!! Now my internet connection sits dormant nearly 5 of 7 days a week doing nothing as I'm only tracking 11 series right now. 5 active from the fall season and 6 that are from previous seasons that are still on my list because releases are coming at a painfully slow rate.

EDIT: Just FYI, the current list of fall anime can be found here at Pukiwiki the same site that hosted the fall list. ^_^

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2004-12-26 at 12:47.
Old 2004-12-26, 13:32   Link #2
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Is it just me, or does anyone else find the selection of spring anime kind of disconcerting? Not only is there half as many as fall, but most also seem of a much lower quality on initial inspection. I've researched the few I could get info on and out of the 6 I bookmarked for review, I may only track one of them depending on the quality of the first 3 episodes. That's one out of nearly 26 shows!! Of course fall was worse. Nearly 60 shows and I only ended up tracking 5 of them. I'm starting to think that this anime glut someone mentioned a while back is really starting to show itself in the same way the movie glut in america is. IE lots of shows, very little quality. Is there any one series (or more than one) that you guys feel will stand out this spring, or are you also feeling that this is going to be another slow/poor season.

hehe. As an interesting aside, during the fall 2003 and spring 2004 seasons my internet connection just about had a bloody heart attack with all the series I was tracking and downloading. I think at one time I was tracking over 35 series in each season alone!! Now my internet connection sits dormant nearly 5 of 7 days a week doing nothing as I'm only tracking 11 series right now. 5 active from the fall season and 6 that are from previous seasons that are still on my list because releases are coming at a painfully slow rate.

EDIT: Just FYI, the current list of fall anime can be found here at Pukiwiki the same site that hosted the fall list. ^_^
Well admittedly, good anime has been harder to find of late, but there are still plenty of series to enjoy. It's probably not fair to expect the same number of good series as there had been not that long ago. Still, I'm looking foward to air, negima, ah megami-sama, girls bravo season 2, and xenosaga. I'm sure I'll check out others too. Even if they aren't the best series, they can still be fun to watch.
Hopefully we'll get better series later in the year.
Old 2004-12-26, 17:02   Link #3
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Aw... poor baby, maybe you might actually have to go out and have a life??? ^_^ haha. Anyways, I just watch whatever the heck interests me and if there isn't, I'll just go back and watch something I haven't yet before, because I don't spend every minute watching all the crap I've dloaded....
Old 2004-12-26, 19:28   Link #4
Seraph

Air, Gallery Fake, Girls Bravo Second Season, and Sky of Iriya Summer of UFO all look pretty interesting too me. I'll probaly give them a try.
Old 2004-12-26, 20:13   Link #5
Thelastguardian

I have high hope on AIR (as with everyone else), Negi, and Ichigo 100% OVA. Although this coming season may not appear as...fulfilling as the others, there could be black horses lurking, waiting to be found (anyone remember KGNE and how much dissing it got when the first ep came out) .
Old 2004-12-26, 21:45   Link #6
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

True, and I think my tastes have probubly grown and matured a bit more now too so that's entirely possible to be part of the cause for my more critical view of the newer shows.
Old 2004-12-26, 21:58   Link #7
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
Aw... poor baby, maybe you might actually have to go out and have a life??? ^_^ haha. Anyways, I just watch whatever the heck interests me and if there isn't, I'll just go back and watch something I haven't yet before, because I don't spend every minute watching all the crap I've dloaded....
OMG! You mean like outside? Out there with the hot orb? That's crazy!
(Sorry, I just think it's very pathetic to tell someone to "get a life" when nobody can define what life should be.)

Anyway, I completely agree about this fall. Most of the series we got were crap and there was only one superb show, Elfen Lied. Most of the rest were just mediocre and not worth my time.

edit: Oh yeah, Kannazuki no Miko was also great.

Last edited by Archuka; 2004-12-27 at 09:22.
Old 2004-12-28, 02:37   Link #8
Mr. Shabaz
Lazy Member

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shabaz
I agree this upcoming season isn't overflowing with must see tv. The only shows I'm really looking forward to are Mahou Sensei Negima!, AIR, Ah! My Goddess!, and Girls Bravo Second Season. I might watch Sky of Iriya and Mahoraba simply out of curiousity, but I'm not jumping outta my seat for them either. Last season I only followed 4 or 5 show real closely, and a few others I followed whenever I felt like getting around to them. Plus, like Thelastguardian mentioned, there could be a sleeper in the bunch we simply haven't heard enough of yet to get us excited. So even though there aren't as many new shows available, I don't think it'll be a huge dissapointment with what is out there.
Old 2004-12-28, 03:15   Link #9
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

This Winter, I think that Gallery Fake looks really interesting:
Unfortunately it is the only show besides Air that looks interesting to me this Winter, hopefully I'll prove mistaken.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-12-28, 07:20   Link #10
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Ya know, I didn't give Air a second look until I saw the new AMV that came out on the front page of the site. For some reason it didn't catch my interest initially, but now it's on my to be watched list. hehe. So maybe there is a glimmer of hope for this season.

Oh, ande Mr. Shabaz, I do also agree that Mahoraba looks interesting, most definately. At least worth checking out if for nothing more than the chibi cuteness factor.
Old 2004-12-28, 13:56   Link #11
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
I dont watch much anime poor me huhuhu well anime is when u are truly bored ..nothing to do ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
Old 2004-12-28, 19:36   Link #12
Spooky-Electric

There isn't much that interests me, but I don't care that much honestly. I have a ton of series I still need to catch up on.
Old 2004-12-29, 00:15   Link #13
Mr. Shabaz
Lazy Member

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shabaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Oh, and Mr. Shabaz, I do also agree that Mahoraba looks interesting, most definately. At least worth checking out if for nothing more than the chibi cuteness factor.
No doubt. Cute stuff goin' on there.
Beyond the art work I don't know what the show is even supposed to be about. Although I'm guessing it's another one boy surrounded by many girls.
Closed Thread