AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-05-24, 03:05   Link #21
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

"Gate" is the title of the series, so why not name it "Gate"?
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 16:30   Link #22
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

That would be allot more sensible, wouldn't it (and jeez! Modernn? This is a most shameful thread on my part )
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 17:57   Link #23
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Hmm, this series sounds pretty cool, I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 23:35   Link #24
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Someone found this fanart for the series on a related site:

Cute Demigod berserker + fire support + Hueys = WIN

Also, Google translated JP Wiki page for the novel, including list of characters. Even with the barely understandable english, spoilers still abound.

Original untranslated JP Wiki page for those wanting to take a shot at a proper translation

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 02:43   Link #25
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Hmmm the folks at Baka-Tsuki seem to be getting interested in this one. Here's some impressions lifted from there (credits to wellis for his contact with Baka-Tsuki):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaTsuki

...But since I enjoyed the sample of vol.1, now I have a copy of the book with me. The depth of the story is certainly more than your conventional light novels, given the adequate length and greater artistic freedom (this is originally an internet novel after all).

The scale of the story and the SDF focus reminds me of Hiro Arikawa's Library Wars and SDF Triology. As for the story, it has a flavour of Shouji Gatou (famous for FMP). The setting is in particlar similar to Cop Graft, another decent work by Gatou sharing a similar world with a portal linking the fantasy kingdom and the modern world, and with heroines from the fantasy world interacting with real-life soldiers. But then the focus of the two are drastically different. Gatou's story is a more personal one, focusing solely on character development, but this one feels like the Western epic fantasies, placing an equally great focus in establishing the fantasy world and illustrating international politics.
Also, some interesting notes about the politics of the setting:

Quote:

For the international politics, the author takes a Japan-centric view and leans towards the right (a regrettable thing indeed) but as a whole it is quite believable. It is said that control over the wide and undeveloped fantasy land with resources not too different from the earth may tilt the international power balance, as it was during the colonization era. Every country was therefore watching closely on every move Japan took and is anxious to take a share.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Quote:

It was not much different from any ancient / medieval country that used territorial expansion as a means to garner resources and give legitimacy to their rule. It was a monarchy and the King seemed to be the one that has a final say on military and other issues.

Spoiler for Spoiler:

As a note:

Quote:
No. It is a conventional fantasy novel like Harry Potter in terms of size, price and layout. The only thing that makes it look like a light novel is its cover...

Spoiler for Spoiler:
LOL at the last part But seriously... can you blame them?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 09:39   Link #26
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

People on Bakatsuki becoming aware of this series is an extremely good thing! Decent sounding idea's like this deserve attention.

I did kind of get the suspicion, based on the loose google translate of the wiki page that this was a bit more developed than just some random light novel. The author really paying attention to the politics/economics in the modern/fantasy worlds.
Old 2011-05-26, 12:59   Link #27
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Spoiler:
Hell Yeah!

This is the biggest reason I'm intersted in this, elves in modern present day setting.

Hope we see a translation soon!
Old 2011-05-26, 14:19   Link #28
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Hope we see a translation soon!
Someone's made a request thread about in on Baka Tsuki.
Old 2011-05-27, 13:55   Link #29
paladinenvec

I want to see this translated!!! Politics+Fantasy+Military = Must read for me!!!
paladinenvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 00:14   Link #30
wellis

My name's wellis, and I'm the one who started that request thread on Baka-Tsuki. From what I've read, I doubt it'll get translated because there's so much content. Does anyone here know any Japanese, because maybe translations can start here?

Here are sample pages from each books, with each sample being the first 60 pages:

http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/dreamboo...ple1042448.pdf (Book 1)
http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/dreamboo...ple1042743.pdf (Book 2)
http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/dreamboo...ple1002773.pdf (Book 3)

Along with that, here's a copy of the original web novel: http://www.mediafire.com/?eppz4n1m126abmc (Character encoding is Shift-JIS.) Is that okay to link to?
wellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 03:28   Link #31
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis View Post
My name's wellis, and I'm the one who started that request thread on Baka-Tsuki. From what I've read, I doubt it'll get translated because there's so much content. Does anyone here know any Japanese, because maybe translations can start here?

Here are sample pages from each books, with each sample being the first 60 pages:

http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/dreamboo...ple1042448.pdf (Book 1)
http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/dreamboo...ple1042743.pdf (Book 2)
http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/dreamboo...ple1002773.pdf (Book 3)

Along with that, here's a copy of the original web novel: http://www.mediafire.com/?eppz4n1m126abmc (Character encoding is Shift-JIS.) Is that okay to link to?
agreed this is a pretty daunting task. other than the cover there is nothing "Light" about these novels. even though there is only 3 vol so far but there is more than 1000 pages worth of content already. and the accepted translation of the title is:"Gate - Thus the JSDF fought there"
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 03:52   Link #32
wellis

Yeah that's the problem. One of the posters on Baka-Tsuki's forum said I could try looking for translators on other forums and start from there. Do you know anyone who knows Japanese and can translate?
Old 2011-05-28, 11:42   Link #33
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

i am very interested on this it great to see modern weapons vs magical ones hope to see this translated
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 14:03   Link #34
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypokstick View Post
agreed this is a pretty daunting task. other than the cover there is nothing "Light" about these novels. even though there is only 3 vol so far but there is more than 1000 pages worth of content already. and the accepted translation of the title is:"Gate - Thus the JSDF fought there"
That's certainly a daunting prospect and it's often hard to get even single volumes from a light novel series translated to.

Perhaps this series will prove popular enough in Japan to warrant making an anime. And that will be good if for no other reason, than to draw attention towards the original source material.
Old 2011-05-28, 17:15   Link #35
wellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's certainly a daunting prospect and it's often hard to get even single volumes from a light novel series translated to.

Perhaps this series will prove popular enough in Japan to warrant making an anime. And that will be good if for no other reason, than to draw attention towards the original source material.
I can see the actual novels are tough to translate, but what about the samples I presented is that alright?

Also is there anyone on Animesuki who could translate them?
Old 2011-05-29, 04:16   Link #36
wellis

Talking Got new information!

Quote:
Brief character introduction at the request of Wellis:

Japan•ITAMI Youji (the lead character)
33 years old. First Lieutenant of the Ground Self-Defense Force. Team leader of the Third Recon Team. An otaku who loves to read doujinshi and online novels. Work is nothing more than something that provides an income source for his interest.

•KURATA
21 years old. Staff Sergeant of the Ground Self-Defence Force. Member of the Third Recon Team. The driver of Itami's military vehicle. An otaku who has a moe fetish over Nekomimi (Cat ears) and Kemono (monsters in general). On otaku topics he can chat happily with Itami, his superior.

•KUROKAWA
23 years old. Sergeant First Class of the Ground Self-Defence Force. One of the female members of the Third Recon Team. Having a height of 190cm and being a nurse, she mostly talk calmly like a lady, but occasionally give people a tongue-lashing.

•KURIBAYASHI Shino
24 years old. Sergeant First Class of the Ground Self-Defence Force. One of the female members of the Third Recon Team. Having a petite frame but with relatively large busts for her body, she also has a martial arts emblem.

•TOMITA Akira
27 years old. Sergeant First Class of the Ground Self-Defence Force. Member of the Third Recon Team. He studied astronomy through university distance learning courses and has both the ranger and airborne emblem.

•MOTOI (Parody of KOIZUMI Junichiro)
Prime minister of Japan. Worrying about how to repel with the internal and external interventions in regard of the interests of the "Special Region", he has lots of stress.

•KANOU Tarou (Parody of ASO Tarou)
Defence Minister of Japan. Responsible Minister for the issue of "Special Region". His otaku interests are well known among the Japanese public. He was also an otaku acquaintance of Itami in the past.

•Risa
The ex-wife of Itami and an artist of doujinshi catered to females.

USA•DIRREL (Parody of Bush)
President of the United States. In order to secure more interests in the "Special Region", he involves himself in a number of conspiracies.

China•TAI De-chou
President of the People's Republic of China. He plans to secure interests in the "Special Region" by sending Chinese migrants to the area.

Russia•ZYUGANOV (Parody of Zyuganov?)
President of the Russian Federation. Worrying that the abundant resources in the "Special Region" would dilute Russia's influence, he involves himself in a number of plots.

The Other World / The Special Region•Duka Luna Marceau
165 years old, with an appearance of a 16/17-year-old. She is from a superior race of elves, with blonde hair and blue eyes, and had been living with her father in the village of Kowan. The whole village was destroyed by the attack of an ancient dragon and she was the only survivor.

•Lelei la Lalena
15 years old. A sage and sorceress of the human race. The second disciple of Cato the elder sage. Although being a knowledgeable person with outstanding talents, she is lack of emotions. Due to her petite frame she looks younger than she actually is.

•Rory Mercury (Loli Mercury )
961 years old, with an appearance of a 13-year-old. Demigoddess and the apostle of Emroy the god. Despite of her delicate frame, she is widely known as Rory the Reaper, who will smash her enemies with her gigantic halberd with no mercy. Her gothic lolita dress of is an outfit for priestesses.

•Molto Sol Augustus
The Emperor of the Empire. In order to strengthen his power and influence he even attempted to conquer Japan through the Gate.

•Piña Co Lada
19 years old. The beautiful daughter of the Emperor. Realizing at a early stage the gap of strength between the Empire and Japan, she has been busy struggling to protect her home country. After knowing Itami, she was exposed to the otaku subculture and was strongly influenced.
Here it is!
Old 2011-06-01, 22:55   Link #37
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Japan•ITAMI Youji (the lead character)
33 years old. First Lieutenant of the Ground Self-Defense Force. Team leader of the Third Recon Team. An otaku who loves to read doujinshi and online novels. Work is nothing more than something that provides an income source for his interest.

•KURATA
21 years old. Staff Sergeant of the Ground Self-Defence Force. Member of the Third Recon Team. The driver of Itami's military vehicle. An otaku who has a moe fetish over Nekomimi (Cat ears) and Kemono (monsters in general). On otaku topics he can chat happily with Itami, his superior.
Yeah. This shouldn't be surprising at all though strangely, this would kind of be annoying if it wasn't for the fact that these guys weren't military. Gives them a bit more weight to them.

Though it's awfully convenient that the ONE guy with monster ear fetish gets to be sent to a fantasy kingdom

Quote:
•KUROKAWA
23 years old. Sergeant First Class of the Ground Self-Defence Force. One of the female members of the Third Recon Team. Having a height of 190cm and being a nurse, she mostly talk calmly like a lady, but occasionally give people a tongue-lashing.

•KURIBAYASHI Shino
24 years old. Sergeant First Class of the Ground Self-Defence Force. One of the female members of the Third Recon Team. Having a petite frame but with relatively large busts for her body, she also has a martial arts emblem.
So the tiny chick and the HUGE chick? The latter I really could easily see intimidating someone.

Quote:
•KANOU Tarou (Parody of ASO Tarou)
Defence Minister of Japan. Responsible Minister for the issue of "Special Region". His otaku interests are well known among the Japanese public. He was also an otaku acquaintance of Itami in the past.
More Otaku topics though when you consider some Japanese ministries ACTUALLY had to deal with their members playing DS and talking about Gundam...

Quote:
•Risa
The ex-wife of Itami and an artist of doujinshi catered to females.
Very interesting.

Spoiler for speculation:

Quote:
•Piña Co Lada
19 years old. The beautiful daughter of the Emperor. Realizing at a early stage the gap of strength between the Empire and Japan, she has been busy struggling to protect her home country. After knowing Itami, she was exposed to the otaku subculture and was strongly influenced.
...this makes me LOL

Is this the Dark Elf chick we see on the covers? Though beautiful daughter of the overlord heel face turning BECAUSE she pragmatically recognizes the power of the opposition is an interesting mix up.
Old 2011-06-01, 23:43   Link #38
wellis

Roger is there anyone on Animesuki who would know Japanese and be able to translate the novels? I have some samples as well as a copy of the original web novel I could show them.
Old 2011-06-02, 06:42   Link #39
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Not sure I really know anyone like that, sorry Wellis

(Though the idea of Otaku soldiers isn't implausible)

suace
Old 2011-06-02, 09:31   Link #40
AlaAlba

this series sounds really interesting looking from all you guys' reviews/summaries.
and in one way similar to FMP, on its genre of military mixed with fantasies, and me love it .

but the main guy is a 33 years old guy, too old for a main guy doesn't he?
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, harem, military science fiction