AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-06-01, 23:17   Link #1
DeathAngelBR
Yuri addict

recommend me something

So here's a list of animes I enjoy(ed):

Gundam stuff
Macross
Death Note
Code Geass
Claymore
Clannad
Nodame Cantabile
Stratos 4
Sentou Yousei Yukikaze
High School of the Dead
Ah! My goddess!
Angel Beats
Steins;Gate
Accel World
Sword Art Online
Infinite Stratos
Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse
Oda Nobuna no Yabou
Yosuga no Sora
Date a Live
Red Data Girl
Valvrave
Majestic Prince
Attack on Titan

I tried to watch Hataraku Maou-sama, Samurai Girls and Sora no Otoshimono, but thought they were meh...

Last edited by DeathAngelBR; 2013-06-05 at 16:46.
DeathAngelBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 06:51   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

That's a fairly diverse list, so here are some varied suggestions.

First I'll suggest Seirei no Moribito, a story set in a fantasy Asian empire. The protagonist, Balsa, is a 30-yo spear-wielding bodyguard-for-hire who is tasked with protecting a young prince from assassination. It's one of two novels by anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko that were adapted by I.G. The other, Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, targets a slightly younger crowd, but I recommend that as well.

If you haven't watched the sequels to Nodame Cantabile, you should give them a try. The "Paris-Hen" sequel had a different director and is not as good as the original, but the "Finale" sequel brought back the original staff and is definitely worth watching.

Nodame was shown on what is known as "noitaminA," a long-running anime block on FujiTV that started with "josei" shows aimed at older teen girls and young adult women. I recommend taking a look at two other shows from that block, Moyashimon and Toshokan Sensou. The first is a "campus hijinks" type of show about a college freshman who can see microbes. (Watch the first season; the second is a bit of a bust.) [i[Toshokan Sensou[/i] is another "senpai romance" like Nodame except the characters are part of a group of armed librarians protecting the right to read. There may be other shows from the noitaminA block that catch your eye. I strongly recommend the two "Apothecary" stories, the final arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales called "Bakeneko" and its successor Mononoke.

Two unusual shows with a stronger "action" component are Baccano! and Kurenai. The first concerns gangsters and immortals in Prohibition America. The latter is another bodyguard type of story where a 16-yo boy becomes responsible for a kidnapped 7-yo heiress. Both of them are by the excellent studio Brains-Base.

Finally I'll recommend Monster. It's a long haul at 74 episodes, but I found all of them gripping.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 22:15   Link #3
DeathAngelBR
Yuri addict

Half way through Kurenai, so far so good. Toshokan Sensou on its way. I'll definitly check all of those out. And yea, I've seen all of Nodame sequels.
Also just got Fate Stay Night, not really a priority tho.

Thank you.
Old 2013-06-04, 14:04   Link #4
EvaGucci

Maybe try to watch Avatar? I really enjoyed it, so maybe you will too?
EvaGucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 18:26   Link #5
kitten320

Code Geass = Death Note, Guilty Crown
Claymore = Berserk, Ga-Rei Zero
Clannad = Kanon 2006, Air, Little Busters, Kokoro Connect, AnoHana
High School of the Dead = Ga-Rei Zero, Elfen Lied
Angel Beats = Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
Steins;Gate = Madoka Magica, Mirai Nikki
Accel World = Guilty Crown
Yosuga no Sora = Green Green
Attack on Titan = Berserk, Shiki, Shinsekai Yori

I mentioned series that are similar to the ones you liked in one way or another. some you might like more than others.

I also would encourage to give Psycho-Pass a go.
Also have you ever tried Fullmetal Alchemist?

Stay Night wise, you really should check it's prequel Fate/Zero. I also liked movie with alternative story more as well.

If needed I can give more info on some of the titles.
Old 2013-06-05, 16:42   Link #6
DeathAngelBR
Yuri addict

Oops! I forgot to add Death Note to the seen list.

I never made past FMA 1st episode... dunno why.

I'll get Fate/Zero when I make room in my HD.
Old 2013-06-05, 19:52   Link #7
kitten320

How about giving it a second go
If no you can try Brotherhood, 1st episode is slightly different.

Well in that case I would also suggest to give Monster a try. Ghost Hunt could be a good try too.
Old 2013-06-08, 07:42   Link #8
DeathAngelBR
Yuri addict

Okay, I'm done with Kurenai and Mirai Nikki. Needless to say I loved Yuno's yandere crazy psycho personality.

I just finished watching 1st episode of Kanon 2006 and got impatient with it. It doesn't look like the kind of anime I would be done with in a single day (like I did with Accel World, Mirai Nikki, Steins;Gate, SAO, Muv Luv...), and those gigantic eyes the girls have aren't really appealing to me. Tell me it gets better. ">.<
Old 2013-06-09, 15:21   Link #9
kitten320

Well just like Clannad it needs time to build up stuff first so it will take a while.

And Kanon is clearly of different genre than the ones you just mentioned. If that's what you want I would go with Madoka Magica or Psycho-Pass next. Ga-Rei Zero is a good one to choose too as well as Berserk.
Old 2013-06-09, 23:01   Link #10
DeathAngelBR
Yuri addict

I meant to say there was nothing funny or interesting in the 1st episode. In Clannad there was that mysterious parallel universe at the beginning, then the funny starts with Kyou throwing a book at Tomoya, then Tomoyo beating that gang, and on and on...

Back then I watched all available episodes of Clannad one after another.
Old 2013-06-10, 07:58   Link #11
kitten320

Been years since I watched Kanon to be honest but from what I remember it is a bit more serious than Clannad but it still has similar theme with magic and stuff. First arc is the longest, most people didn't like it but were happy with the rest.

I have to agree, 1st arc is slow but final was quiet sad. I would try to get pass 1st arc in your case and try arc 2. If you won't like series after both arcs, I guess it is not really for you.
Old 2013-07-04, 00:19   Link #12
DeathAngelBR
Yuri addict

Bump.

Ok. As of recently I finished watching Amagami SS, Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai, Elfen Lied, Fate Stay Night / Zero / UBW (I have no words to describe the awesomeness of this), HighSchool DxD, and... Sasameki Koto. I guess I'm one of those who expected that sweet confession at the end and went WTF at how it ended; it was great, but it kinda left an empty space and I haven't found something to fill the gap.

Now I'm currently watching:
Maria-sama ga Miteru S1/E06
B Gata H Kei (this brings me tears of laughter)
Sengoku Collection, Shinsekai Yori, Ben-to (these 3 are so, so IMO... not in a hurry to finish them)
Ore no Imouto S1
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W
(and, ofc, Majestic Prince and Attack on Titan)

Also in my quoted list:
Aria series
Kampfer
Kore wa zombie desu ka (first episode left me an awful first impression)
To Love-Ru series
Maria Holic
Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?
Sekirei: Pure engagement
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Sengoku Otome

So... something to replace Sasameki Koto?
Old 2013-07-04, 05:11   Link #13
kitten320

Maria-sama gets better with each episode while Shinsekai Yori with each episode. It has slow start. It mostly picks up after first time skip and becomes amazing in second half.
Old 2013-08-06, 21:21   Link #14
DeathAngelBR
Yuri addict

Bumping this.

I finished Maria-sama recently; it was great, fantastic, lovely. I was really into it when I started watching season 2, and watched it all the way to the end of season 4 non-stop. It was very touching, I got very emotional - still am, to the point of crying when discussing it with friends, and as of writing this - with Yumi and Touko's relationship.

At the same time I picked up My Teen Romcom SNAFU. Although very entertaining I was kinda disappointed with how it ended as I expected a pairing to form.

This weekend I heard about Strawberry Panic... and watched all 26 episodes in less than 2 days; pretty much the only anime I watched during the weekend. I loved it as much as I did Marimite. I still go back to the last episode just to see Shizuma rushing to the catedral for Nagisa and running off with her... and Hikari's beauty when standing by Amane's side!

Then today I watched Kuttsukiboshi. It had everything I missed in Marimite and SP in just 2 freaking episodes. Then I started thinking I'm running out of good yuri material...? Hopefuly not.

For kicks I picked up Bakemonogatari (I hate how some scenes have the art replaced by those annoying texts), Campione, Occult Academy, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, Watamote, Dogs & Scissors, OniAi, Tayutama, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Love Lab.

Three others I'm truly enjoying right now are Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Shigofumi and Symphogear G. The first season of Symphogear had something I've been missing for a long time: tons of character songs, and awesome ones!

In my to-watch-soon list are:

Omamori Himari
Rinne No Lagrange
Saki Achiga-hen
Kimi ni Todoke
Princess Lover
Shukufuku no Campanella
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito (took a quick look at the first episode and was like what the fuck?)
Kannazuki no Miko

=====

So... if you know of any decent yuri anime I should look up for... do tell me.
Old 2013-08-07, 13:37   Link #15
kitten320

Sadly anime wise there is massive lack in yuri department. From what I know and hears there are the following:

Mai HiME - while yuri is not the main factor, the couple is the one who got me into yuri world.

Aoi Hana, might give you Maria-sama feelings.

Aria the Animation - while it is not yuri, it has this suttle atmosphere like Maria-sama and develops nice relationships between characters. Gets better with each season. Origination is a pure win especially if you watch everything else until then.

Candy Boy is something you could try out.

Ga-Rei: Zero - while it is not yuri, two main heroines have very strong and touching relationship. It is a mix of action/horro/cpmedy/drama.

Didn't watch these but yuri wise there are:

Sasameki Koto
Blue Drop
Simoun
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito

If you are willing to try out manga, then I strongly recommend:
Girl Friends
Old 2013-08-07, 15:00   Link #16
Eragon
Still Alive

Haha, welcome to the yuri side. There is no return

That said, anime is really not the medium for yuri. I mean that, you won't a well defined yuri relationship in most shows that are tagged yuri. Manga is where most of the good stuff is. But, if you are like me and consume stuff at insane speed then you are going to run out of that too. Yuri (good yuri, anyhow) is in serious short supply. And if you really want your fix, there's always Fanfiction I mostly get my fix there, as of now (The MSGM fandom has some of the best fanfics I have read)

Oh, and do try out Simoun and Sasameki Koto.
Old 2013-08-07, 16:33   Link #17
Augustana

how about Makoto Shinkai?
5 Centimeters per Second
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
The Garden of Words
Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below

i promise those animes will not dissapoint u...
Old 2013-08-07, 17:16   Link #18
DeathAngelBR
Yuri addict

@kitten320

I've seen Sasameki Koto. I had high hopes after the 1st episode, then Kazama used a mask and nothing really happened till the (disappointing) end.

I have Aria the Animation; took a quick look at the 1st episode and figured it would take a hell lot of time and patience to watch it. Perhaps on my vacation in a month or so.

@Eragon

I'm not really into manga. I have this need for animation, awesome seiyuus and decent music. I'm only reading Attack on Titan because of damned cliffhangers, and Claymore.

I'll certainly check Simoun out.

@Augustana

Judging by reviews alone all of those seem pretty good. I'll take a look.

Arigatou

Last edited by DeathAngelBR; 2013-08-07 at 23:29.
Old 2013-08-08, 05:13   Link #19
jdennis007

This is not a yuri suggestion but I noticed you have Gundam and Macross on your list so I thought I would recommend if you have not seen it, Full Metal Panic.
Old 2013-08-08, 12:32   Link #20
Angelbeats5160
Pocky-loving Ninja

I know a LOT of anime, but I'm just going to say Kobato is a good anime to try. ^_^
Angelbeats5160 is offline   Reply With Quote