AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-02-09, 14:51   Link #21
Alawa

I just finished Juuni Kokuki. It was perfect for me. I really loved it, though the final five episodes were a little anticlimactic for me.

Now I am given the impossible task of choosing one of the many listed to watch next.
Alawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 15:53   Link #22
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawa View Post
I just finished Juuni Kokuki. It was perfect for me. I really loved it, though the final five episodes were a little anticlimactic for me.
It's based on a series of novels and when the credits rolled the first time you reached the end of one of those novels (actually the anime mostly covers the first and 4th novels in the series). A couple of the side stories are from other books and they never got to finish them because they ran out of money or whatever (I only read Yoko's books because that's the only story I really cared about).

But I do love the anime version of the story, and I like how they added Yoko's two high school friends to flesh things out (they weren't in the original story).
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 13:38   Link #23
Alawa

I just finished Ga-Rei Zero. I really, really enjoyed it, with the only real fault being that there are only 12 episodes.

Almost tempted to make a Kagura forum signature.
Old 2014-02-11, 16:38   Link #24
kitten320

Really glad to hear it. And yeh it could be longer

Though there is a continuation in manga format though I personally was not able to read it because of some issues I had with it but you might like it
Old 2014-02-11, 19:12   Link #25
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
A couple of the side stories are from other books and they never got to finish them because they ran out of money or whatever
I always heard that Ono Fuyumi, the author, became ill after the first 39 episodes were finished. The second season was in production, but because it looked like she wasn't going to finish the required novels, they cut what they had into the six-episode side story that ends the anime version. Ono has said publicly that she intends to write more about the Kingdoms, but since more than half-a-dozen years have passed since that interview it seems unlikely.

Alawa, I'm going to recommend one more show that I omitted because it does not have a lot of "action." That show is Saiunkoku Monogatari. Since you liked both Moribito and Junni Kokki, I suspect you might like this show as well. It's set in yet-another fantasy Asian empire, in this case one that looks a lot like T'ang China (ca 600-900 CE). The heroine, Shurrei, is very feisty and well-acted by Kuwashima Houko. There's some romance, but Shurrei has more important goals on her agenda. The first season is stronger than the second; both number 39 episodes.

The first season was unlicensed for quite a while, then distributed by Geneon USA and later by Funimation as Geneon's agent. Now the license has expired. I leave you to your own devices to find the torrents. Google is your friend.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 23:29   Link #26
tedybearsoka

i think u should try avenger im not sure if you'll like it because im a little iffy about it myself but i think its an ok anime
tedybearsoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 10:22   Link #27
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I think Madoka Magica should be next.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-14, 11:17   Link #28
Alawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I think Madoka Magica should be next.
I just started this. The collage-animation fight scenes aren't my favourite, however, I'm enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I always heard that Ono Fuyumi, the author, became ill after the first 39 episodes were finished. The second season was in production, but because it looked like she wasn't going to finish the required novels, they cut what they had into the six-episode side story that ends the anime version. Ono has said publicly that she intends to write more about the Kingdoms, but since more than half-a-dozen years have passed since that interview it seems unlikely.

Alawa, I'm going to recommend one more show that I omitted because it does not have a lot of "action." That show is Saiunkoku Monogatari. Since you liked both Moribito and Junni Kokki, I suspect you might like this show as well. It's set in yet-another fantasy Asian empire, in this case one that looks a lot like T'ang China (ca 600-900 CE). The heroine, Shurrei, is very feisty and well-acted by Kuwashima Houko. There's some romance, but Shurrei has more important goals on her agenda. The first season is stronger than the second; both number 39 episodes.

The first season was unlicensed for quite a while, then distributed by Geneon USA and later by Funimation as Geneon's agent. Now the license has expired. I leave you to your own devices to find the torrents. Google is your friend.
This honestly sounds amazing and will be what I watch next.
Old 2014-02-14, 17:56   Link #29
Alawa

I just finished Madoka Magica. I enjoyed it, though I didn't care for the rate of the character development of the main protagonist.
Old 2014-02-15, 00:31   Link #30
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Who was the main protagonist?

I tend to think of it as a three act story.

The first covers Mami and Madoka as the main characters.

The second has Sayaka and Kyoko as the main characters.

The third has Homura and Madoka as the main characters.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2014-02-15, 00:39   Link #31
Alawa

Hmm, that might change it. I was following it from the perspective of Madoka being the main heroine.
Old 2014-02-15, 09:15   Link #32
kitten320

Never saw Madoka as main character, for me personally it always was Homura and the rest with Madoka being last. Her only traits as main character show in last episode.
Old 2014-02-15, 10:12   Link #33
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawa View Post
Hmm, that might change it. I was following it from the perspective of Madoka being the main heroine.
Heh... wait till you see the Rebellion Movie.

Also, since this anime was inspired by Faust, it's notable that Homura is the obvious Faust parallel, with Madoka lining up with Gretchen.

Old 2014-02-16, 00:48   Link #34
Alawa

I read a lot and occasionally read the creations of my friends, which makes me read some books with "lead" characters that are overshadowed by side characters.. I was under the impression that Madoka was the main character -- Madoka Magica, she was the first character introduced, she was the character followed around the most, etc. -- and the other characters taking the spotlight over her. I am also occasionally thick skulled, haha.

I would not have minded it being like it was, but I feel like 12 episodes just wasn't enough to get proper character development for all of the characters. It was just a little rushed for having so many characters/acts. At least for my taste
Old 2014-02-16, 10:36   Link #35
kitten320

It was and that's where manga comes into place. Anime focuses mainly on Madoka, Homura and Sayaka.

There is manga called Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica: The Different Story that is set in other time line and focuses mainly on Tomoe and Kyouko what gives them far more depth and I would highly recommend it.

And then there is movie sequel that I still have to watch myself.
Old 2014-03-02, 00:10   Link #36
Alawa

Well, I got busy making myself forum signatures, reading and actually working.. I started watching Shakugan no Shana, but I don't overly care for how it follows the male character with Shana being a secondary character -- as an impression of the first episode. I will definitely continue watching it, though.
Old 2014-03-02, 07:57   Link #37
TheSix

If it helps, my personal impression of Shana would actually be that it focuses more on her than him: A story about a girl who considers herself little more than a weapon slowly becoming more human and empathic over time. For instance, there's a whole four episodes dedicated towards her past during the first season, with Yuuji being absent for almost the entirety of it.
Old 2014-03-02, 09:37   Link #38
AntonKutovoi

There's somewhat forgotten anime, called Grenadier: the Smiling Senshi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenadier_(manga)

It's somewaht similar to Trigun, but have a female lead and also have some fanservice. It's not something unique or super-good, but it's still fun to watch.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 10:11   Link #39
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSix View Post
If it helps, my personal impression of Shana would actually be that it focuses more on her than him: A story about a girl who considers herself little more than a weapon slowly becoming more human and empathic over time. For instance, there's a whole four episodes dedicated towards her past during the first season, with Yuuji being absent for almost the entirety of it.
I too think that the show (first season at least) focuses much more on Shana. It's just that Yuuji is our main observer of Shana, for the reason that he is the first person who sees Shana as an individual instead of a weapon. We see Shana through his eyes because he is the audience surrogate.

I mean, Yuuji is the one who gives Shana the name Shana. Prior to that she's just referred to as "the flaming-hair, blazing-eyed hunter" which is pretty badass as far a nom de plume goes, but isn't really a name.

Old 2014-03-03, 05:43   Link #40
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
You want a strong, badass female lead? Try Jormungand, surprised no one said it yet.
The main character is one of the most intriguing and overconfident female leads you'll find. There's a solid cast of supporting characters from both genders, but she owns the show.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote