AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-06-14, 00:45   Link #41
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I think that was all before the VHS was invented.
Only the men and boats thing
Old 2011-06-14, 18:53   Link #42
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor View Post
Can people not read a post and laugh anymore?
Actually, this topic did make me LOL.

I still have a VHS collection of Bubblegum Crisis.

I never got involved with the video swapping scene, but that was the very series that sucked me into the world of anime. Thank goodness for the video rental shop that had the insight to provide those "tapes."
Old 2011-06-14, 19:19   Link #43
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
This thread makes me feel too old
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-14, 21:12   Link #44
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
It's nice when you look back at your past and get nostalgia. Though it's a bit lonely at the same time. Though if I were you, there's no way I would be lonely. I can't relate to you that much though since I download full series in less than a day.
Modern-day nostalgia is interesting. The things we're talking about are only 10-20 years old from the present day. Technology has progressed so rapidly during that time that it almost feels like a lifetime passed: everything we knew and were used to is basically gone, or changed rather dramatically.

When did most people experience nostalgia? I was always under the impression that nostalgia was for the elderly - they'd walk around and remember how a town was so different 50+ years prior, and how life was so different back then. The rate of change was slower. All of us here may experience multiple moments of nostalgia because the rate of change that we live with is so fast (assuming you spend a lot of time in the digital realm - the rate of change offline is probably about the same).

And yet for us, most things haven't disappeared for good. If you're nostalgic for your old operating systems, fire 'em up in a virtual machine. Same for the old software you used to run. Even websites can usually be returned to, or viewed on the internet archive if they no longer exist.

Yes indeed, modern-day nostalgia is interesting...
Old 2011-06-15, 07:42   Link #45
jdennis007

Subbbbb???? Dubbbbb????? I remember paying money for raw episodes and having to buy them from the same guy because if you bought one from some else it could be completely different episodes, you might get one or two new episodes and the others could be ones you had already. I still have a few legal VHS tapes around too.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 12:57   Link #46
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

You kids with your fancy HDTV and complex remote controls!

In my day I was the remote control! And there was only 13 channels on the dial! Yes, DIAL!

Mom: Go change the channel.
Me: <gets up from floor and reaches up to the DIAL to change the channel> *clackclackclackclack*
Mom: You're spinning it too fast, you're gonna break it!
Me: <sigh>*clack* *clack* *clack*

Damn lazy kids these days.

Last edited by Endless Soul; 2011-06-18 at 11:45. Reason: Avatar changed, stuff in original post now irrelevant
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 13:03   Link #47
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post

In may day I was the remote control! And there was only 13 channels on the dial! Yes, DIAL!

Me: <gets up from floor and reaches up to the DIAL to change the channel> *clackclackclackclack*

PS: I see the OP and I are using *almost* the same avatar. I guess we were thinking alike.
I don't even watch live TV. It's chock-full of balderdash.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 14:21   Link #48
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The nieghbor had one of those...and a cable box.

We had a slightly newer television that had four big buttons and some hidden knobs and a primative remote. Channel up or down. Volume up or down. And I think a red and green tint rocker And maybe a brightness rocker.

Still only had about 7 channels.

But we had a BetaMAX...as well as a VHS
Old 2011-06-15, 15:45   Link #49
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
When did most people experience nostalgia? I was always under the impression that nostalgia was for the elderly - they'd walk around and remember how a town was so different 50+ years prior, and how life was so different back then.
I started getting nostalgic in my twenties. Most of my nostalgia is for things that pre-date wide usage of the Internet and the WWW. I do have some fond memories of going to university for the first time and using a NeXT computer (something I had read about during the 80s but never seen) during a freshman engineering course to stumble onto the Internet and rec.arts.anime.

Speaking of analog TV, one of my strongest memories from childhood in the late 70s was my older sister never being allowed to watch a full episode of Star Trek to her eternal frustration. There was only one TV in the house (one of those huge wooden console style TVs), and Star Trek aired in syndication where we lived from 5-6PM. However, the evening news (another relic) aired at 5:30PM, and my father would always turn the channel over from ST driving my sister batty. This was before VCRs so it's not like she could record it either.

I used to have a large collection of fansubs in college (around 400 tapes at a time). I ended up giving the entire set away when I graduated to the cousin of a friend from Mexico. Simply too much trouble to move all those tapes, although I wish I had kept some for nostalgia purposes (there were some from a group called Tomodachi that I was really fond of). Receiving a mailing of fansub tapes was always a thrill, although I don't miss the VHS days because getting your anime that way was a major PITA. Besides the often horrible quality (n-th generation tape dubs) it was hassle trading tapes via SASE (I refused to "buy" fansubs). People were picky about what tapes they would accept (for good reason I suppose), there were limits on how much you could request at a time, people often did not have complete series, etc. Digital fansubs now are so much better.

One last thing I miss: cheap four color comic books printed on newsprint and sold on newstands. I don't read comics anymore for a variety of reasons, but I sure miss spinning the comic rack and putting down my 35 cents (then 40, then 50, then 60, then 75 in rapid succession, inflation back then sucked) for a comic book.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 03:15   Link #50
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:

In my day I was the remote control! And there was only 13 channels on the dial! Yes, DIAL!

PS: I see the OP and I are using *almost* the same avatar. I guess we were thinking alike.

My grandmother had a TV like that. Actually, she still has the one in her bedroom....
Old 2011-06-17, 03:27   Link #51
Sides

Come on, until last year i had 5 channels. Had to get a DVB-t box, because of the digital switch over, and it is not worth it, still just watching the 5 main channels.

IIRC we had to send tapes to some college student who then taped the subs videos onto it. Kind of expensive, so got a club thing together, where we shared the costs.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 04:45   Link #52
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
Actually, this topic did make me LOL.

I still have a VHS collection of Bubblegum Crisis.

I never got involved with the video swapping scene, but that was the very series that sucked me into the world of anime. Thank goodness for the video rental shop that had the insight to provide those "tapes."
The sight of those tapes brings back memories. I think with just a tad upgrade in visual qualities, Bubblegum Crisis would be one of the series that may be popular with current anime fans if it aired on TV. Well, back then, most TVA were made with intention to last about a year instead of mere 3 month, so while OVA had the visuals, TVA had either the plots or the comedy. How I miss Urusei Yatsura...
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 07:08   Link #53
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Modern-day nostalgia is interesting. The things we're talking about are only 10-20 years old from the present day. Technology has progressed so rapidly during that time that it almost feels like a lifetime passed: everything we knew and were used to is basically gone, or changed rather dramatically.
So true. It feels just like yesterday, but the truth is at least 10 years have already passed.

I was really sad to see the end of Lonelyanime (IRC channel where I got Mahoromatic episodes), and pretty sure that I'd never see again the friends that I've met in IRC channels. The fun times of 10 years ago, sometimes the memories come back, a bit sad but it's still a good feeling to remember every once in awhile.

Quote:

My grandma has a large black and white TV that uses the dial. It still functions and she prefers using it.
I just smile seeing her use the old thing, perhaps she enjoys reliving the good old days.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-06-18 at 07:18.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 20:45   Link #54
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Quote:
Lessee. Two second downloads. Beautiful animation that actually doesn't drop in quality in episodes 4-11 of a series. Holographic experience. And my prediction, a way to somehow choose what some characters do. Like a dating sim, but with a real anime that changes how things unfold giving infinite endings or possibilities (School Days doesn't count). It sounds like something a Japanese company would do.
I would love that personally. So I can have my paring become cannon instead of the one I don't like. xD

Or have my characters all die painfully just to be a sadistic little troll.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 17:02   Link #55
Kirarakim

I'm in my late 20's but got into anime later in life (became a fan in college) so I've only been a fan for about 10+ years which I guess is longer than some but not as long as others.

I certainly never experienced the VHS fansubs but I do have some episodes of DBZ on VHS. This was around the time when they were selling the series as both single DVD/VHS and when I first started collecting I did not have a DVD player yet. Gosh it reminds me of what is happening with BR/DVD and what do you know I don't have a Blu-Ray Player yet.

So even in what I consider the short time I've been an anime fan so much has changed.

* VHS is obviously dead
* Singles are dead (I actually collected Yu Yu Hakusho completely in singles)
* Never went through IRC for fansubs but remember Kazaa..that would take forever. And certainly searching for fansubs was a lot harder when I first became an anime fan.
* I am ashamed to admit I bought a few HK bootlegs back in the day. Thankfully I think with fansubs and even official subs being easier to find these have almost completely disappeared. Or maybe I've just become ignorant to them.
* I remember reading Online text translations to the Rurouni Kenshin manga (before it was licensed) and thinking that was the most wonderful thing ever.
* And really the biggest change is there doesn't seem to be a BIG series bringing in anime fans: There is no DBZ, Pokemon, or Yugioh. I don't know what that means for the future of anime fandom.
Old 2011-06-27, 20:41   Link #56
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
And we had to pay for the tapes! And we sent out money out to questionable people without knowing if we'd get our product or not! And the quality was horrible! And we loved it!

You kids now with your "IRC" and "3.0MBPS bittorrent" and your "Trustworthy fansub groups" are all spoiled.

Nothing like it was back in the day with dial-up downloads where we get 1 episode of an anime that was only 100MB and with a 280i resolution which took the entire day to download as long as no one tried to make a phone call on that phone line.

Back in the day where you go to bed and sleep 9 hours then wake up and be proud your download of the 1 episode was now all the way at a stellar 60% and 4.7KBPS was considered blazingly fast. Back in my day, we'd get fansubs from old school Direct Connect from the providers and pray that the user didn't suddenly go offline leaving your with a 92% completed file which you then had to go from channel to channel looking for a single user who had the same file while selected "T1" in the options for users.

Those days were the best.
HAH...I'll be glad for a 4.7kbps torrent any day....seeing as the ones I need are like invariably 0.1kbps and take 1 week to finish....

Anyway before proper online access was available it was all cable TV...
Old 2011-06-27, 20:46   Link #57
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
...Back when
-Men were made of steel and boats out of wood
-Driving was dangerous and sex was safe
-Tits were real and TV was fake
the 90s was the height of the silicone age
Old 2011-06-27, 21:33   Link #58
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That's why I said most of that was before the VCR was around. Most of that was in the 70s (aside from the men and boats analogy would is 1850s or older for the most part)
Old 2011-06-27, 23:53   Link #59
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
When I was your age, my fansubs were on VHS!
........I still have those nth gen hardly watchable VHS copies from decades ago, somewhere in the dark corner of my closet.
Hell I even have cassette tape recordings I made of Japanese radio shows from the 80s in that closet.

...... probably right next to a laser disc of Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer.
Old 2011-06-28, 00:25   Link #60
Forsaken_Infinity

You know, it's still more or less the same way for some parts of the world (I spent 17 years of my life at such a place). And I was downloading two to three low res episodes in 24 hours even two years back. And that too, only if the electricity or the internet didn't fail on me. Sigh. I am surprised I saw as much stuff as I did tbh. Well, I bought some crappy dubs and some subs where I could, I had help (as in i had a bunch of friends who would all download stuff and then we'd all share) and extreme perseverance was kinda hammered into my blood but really, I couldn't possibly do it now... I am amused at myself for complaining about some of the subs and deleting a fansub for another like it's nothing. Forget other people who couldn't possibly hope to relate. I do it. But you know, things change. And if they are for the better, so be it.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote