Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-05-07, 22:21   Link #501
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I thought Kaguya was his relative, not his fiancé?

Oh well, whatever. Getting back on topic...
I actually had the impression that Kallen's family were either low ranking nobility, or nobility whose title had been lost, similar in status to Millay's family. Was fairly certain there was some line in the early episodes regarding it, though for the life of me I can't find it.
Kallen's Britannian family side was actually not in the first draft of her original background; she was suppose to be a 100% Japanese.
Kallen was given mixed background when it was decided she need to attend Lulu's school for a while, for fan service reasons. Thus I believe there is next to nothing important plotwise relating to Kallen's father. He wasn't even suppose to exist.
Old 2008-05-07, 22:26   Link #502
Archaic

Really? What's the source on that?

Even if her family wasn't supposed to be important plotwise initially, by portraying Kallen's background as so well to do (at least on a level where one would expect her to be used to high society), it doesn't make much sense for them to abandon it entirely. Personally, I'm hoping for at least a throwaway scene of her sticking it to the step-mother.
Archaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 22:27   Link #503
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Well, they kept his job a secret and given the fact that they moved her story to R2 seems to indicate he'll have some role. Her brother will probably get delved into more as well.

Besides, those original backgrounds may not matter much. C.C. was originally supposed to be an angel after all, though that paticular background actually seems to still have some merit to it.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 22:27   Link #504
Marsala
Delurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Kallen's Britannian family side was actually not in the first draft of her original background; she was suppose to be a 100% Japanese.
Kallen was given mixed background when it was decided she need to attend Lulu's school for a while, for fan service reasons. Thus I believe there is next to nothing important plotwise relating to Kallen's father. He wasn't even suppose to exist.
Note bold. That pretty much says it all about the plot of Code Geass.
Marsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 22:31   Link #505
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

What, that it's all about fanservice? I think they have more purpose to Kallen then simply that or else there would be no point in keeping her around.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2008-05-07, 22:45   Link #506
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsala View Post
Note bold. That pretty much says it all about the plot of Code Geass.
Oy. Her role in the school life was actually quite important. Lest you forgot all the episodes where she went from quiet, reserved to open and lively. There's also her interaction with Lelouch which was rather important, namely the Refrain episode.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 22:56   Link #507
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

That was really only important to her and served to flesh her out a bit more. I honestly don't quite see how any of her time in school was all that important. Any importance she has is with the Order.

Old 2008-05-07, 23:07   Link #508
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
That was really only important to her and served to flesh her out a bit more. I honestly don't quite see how any of her time in school was all that important. Any importance she has is with the Order.
Well, I meant for her character. That is what this thread is about.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 23:13   Link #509
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Oh, alright then. Episode 9 was the most contributing episode to her character.

Old 2008-05-08, 04:02   Link #510
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
She is family I believe, but that really doesn't matter actually.

I never got the impression they were nobility at all. Just a well to do family headed by a man with a good job in the Empire. I don't see why she needs to be nobility.
The schools' awe over her wouldn't make sense. Almost everyone at Ashford has money as it seems like a very prestigious and expensive boarding school.

Money wouldn't impress them as much as a connection to nobillity. What would impress these ambitious non-noble rich kids?

I think her father may be a low ranking noble and next in line to inherit a superior title from his father. Kallen herself may be in line for a title of her own. Her father was coerced by his family into an arranged marriage and dumping his japanese lover/wife. If he was next in line for a big title he would have to keep up appearances and not be seen with an 11 as a wife. Anyhow, he may have already inherited the title and this is why he is never home.

Marrianne's connections to the Ashford's may have involved her career in the military. She could have been a test pilot and befriended the Ashford's who were involved in weapons development.

It wouldn't be shocking if Kallen and Lelouch were betrothed to each other at an early age. And if wouldn't be surprising if the Emperor manipulated events to get them to come together in japan. Who exactly leaked information of that secret project to the rebels that lead to Lelouch meeting C.C. and Kallen? The rebels were barely organized. . . how did they get that piece of intelligence?
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 04:37   Link #511
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
What, that it's all about fanservice? I think they have more purpose to Kallen then simply that or else there would be no point in keeping her around.
Note that I never suggested that Kallen was all about fanservice; rather, Kallen's role in the story needed spicing up from being just your regular Japanese resistance fighter that she was before, and making her attend school also give her more chance to interact with Lulu.

But yes, Kallen was changed and made to attend Lulu's school because it added fanservice potential. They likely consider it a waste not to.

Kallen's job to supply fanservice is like how CC supply pizza cameos; it is part of what they do, but not why they are there. None the less, Kallen is now a full-time BK member and no longer attend school, hence reverting to her original background.
Old 2008-05-08, 04:54   Link #512
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Just because she was a random full japanese girl in the original rough draft of the story doesn't mean the writers could not have decided to give her the Princess Leia treatment. Leia wasn't supposed to Luke's sister and Darth Vader's daughter originally.

Maybe they decided the story needed a mortal female protagonist to complement the main character.

She could very well turn out "Kallen the Red Princess/Queen," wife of Emperor Lelouch by the time the series is over.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 05:06   Link #513
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
The schools' awe over her wouldn't make sense. Almost everyone at Ashford has money as it seems like a very prestigious and expensive boarding school.

Money wouldn't impress them as much as a connection to nobillity. What would impress these ambitious non-noble rich kids?

I think her father may be a low ranking noble and next in line to inherit a superior title from his father. Kallen herself may be in line for a title of her own. Her father was coerced by his family into an arranged marriage and dumping his japanese lover/wife. If he was next in line for a big title he would have to keep up appearances and not be seen with an 11 as a wife. Anyhow, he may have already inherited the title and this is why he is never home.

Marrianne's connections to the Ashford's may have involved her career in the military. She could have been a test pilot and befriended the Ashford's who were involved in weapons development.

It wouldn't be shocking if Kallen and Lelouch were betrothed to each other at an early age. And if wouldn't be surprising if the Emperor manipulated events to get them to come together in japan. Who exactly leaked information of that secret project to the rebels that lead to Lelouch meeting C.C. and Kallen? The rebels were barely organized. . . how did they get that piece of intelligence?
Um, what awe? She was popular because she was pretty, intelligent and because she rarely came to school. While it was said to be a nice school, I don't recall anything about everyone being somewhat rich. Rivalz sure as hell isn't rich.

Whoever said they were impressed? All the guys liked her because she was pretty. Her lack of showing up seemed to add to this in some way.

Okay, somewhat possible yet no proof yet.

It was already mentioned that Marianne did some sort of huge favor for the family at some point which is why Millay's grandfather let Lelouch and Nunnally stay with them.

I'd be surprised actually and I honestly don't see any point to such a plotline. Why would they ever be betrothed over the Ashford family, where it seems reasonable that had things not gone bad would have reaslted in Lelouch possibly marrying Millay.

You seriously think that the Emperor is going to take the time to make sure two kids end up in Japan and meet? When he has much better things to do and has shown he really doesn't care all that much? The info came from Naoto. Though we don't quite know how he got it yet, all of them did think it was just poisonous gas.

Given their father, I wouldn't be that surprised if Naoto somehow got the info through him somehow or simply hacked somewhere and got lucky.

And where are you getting all this Princess Kallen stuff?

Edit: Never mind, you'll end up being right in the end given the new magazine info about Kallen.

Last edited by Dann of Thursday; 2008-05-08 at 05:41.
Old 2008-05-12, 00:48   Link #514
m-san
Narcoleptic Insomniac

Kallen's school life was fanservice?! Come on. She showed a bit of her human side with her school facade as well. She was also concerned about the safety of the student council when the Black Rebellion was taking place [ep22, IIRC]. It also raised important points about her character, such as her devotion for Zero. She is so devoted to him, she'd risk herself in her attempt to assassinate Suzaku, just to further his cause [or so she was made to believe by Diethard]. It was also nice how her attitude towards Lelouch sharply contrasted her attitude towards Zero, thus developing her into the Karen she is now, who views Lelouch and Zero as separate entities. That wouldn't have been possible without her school life. And I think developing those stories are far from fanservice either. So please before you say such things, be sure what you say is accurate...
m-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 00:56   Link #515
Westlo
Lets be reality

Some people aren't getting what Vallen Chaos Valiant is saying, he's saying that she was given a Britannian background for fan service purposes not that her entire school thing was pure fanservice. And yes of course things can change no matter what the intention was in the first place.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 03:19   Link #516
ZeroSama
All Hail Lelouch!
*Author

Spoiler for episode 6 detalis:
ZeroSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 03:31   Link #517
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSama View Post
Yeah, I was watching and I did indeed hear a faint "Lu", but it's nothing concrete.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 03:40   Link #518
Stretch5920

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSama View Post
Sounds like just a whimper to me, but I guess people can take it that way if they want to. We will never know.
Stretch5920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 04:12   Link #519
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Yeah, I was watching and I did indeed hear a faint "Lu", but it's nothing concrete.
What this guy said.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 04:16   Link #520
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Yes, nothing more, nothing less.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote