Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-02-20, 17:07   Link #1
AshenRaven
From another world

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk [Light Novel]

Synopsis (quoted from elsewhere):
Quote:
The Academy City on water, "Rikka". This city, otherwise known as 'Asterisk', was famous for being the world's largest stage for the integrated battle entertainment <Star Wars Festival>. The young boys and girls of the <Starpulse Generation> belonging to the six academies made their wishes with Shining Armaments in their hands, vying for supremacy -- Amagiri Ayato is one of them.

Ayato arrived at Rikka at the invitation of the Student Council President of the Seidoukan Academy, Claudia, and right after that he incurred the wrath of the <Petalblaze Witch> Julis, and ended up having to duel her.

"If you're obedient, I'll pardon you by grilling you to only about well-done?"

"..... That would be cooking me thoroughly to my core, right?"

Then, in the middle of their duel, an assassin had fired a bullet at Julis -- ?

The greatest academy battle entertainment, begins here!
Author: Yuu Miyazaki (三屋咲 ゆう)
Illustrator: Okiura
Publisher: MF Bunko J
Alt. Names: 学戦都市アスタリスク

Story sounds pretty cool despite all the other LNs out there with the same setting.
If you're thinking that the cover looks like something from IS it's because the illustrator are one and the same.

IMPORTANT: This work is now licensed, so you may not link to or discuss where to find fan translations.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2015-12-02 at 19:19. Reason: Removed reference to illegal site
AshenRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 12:00   Link #2
XFire
150% done

Sweet, there's a thread for this. I've been looking all over for more info on this series. The limits of my knowledge are.....
  • The guy uses swords
  • The first girl uses flames
  • Thankfully not the whole "Only guy in all girl academy" cliche
  • MC was called in for some reason

Anyone care to add or correct the list?
Old 2013-07-19, 12:09   Link #3
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Sweet, there's a thread for this. I've been looking all over for more info on this series. The limits of my knowledge are.....
  • The guy uses swords
  • The first girl uses flames
  • Thankfully not the whole "Only guy in all girl academy" cliche
  • MC was called in for some reason

Anyone care to add or correct the list?
Everything's right on the money. The male-female ratio is even, except that the top twelve in the academy are mostly females for fanservice.

Student council president reminds me of Cecilia from IS and our MC came to the academy for information regarding his sister.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 20:03   Link #4
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
Everything's right on the money. The male-female ratio is even, except that the top twelve in the academy are mostly females for fanservice.

Student council president reminds me of Cecilia from IS and our MC came to the academy for information regarding his sister.
Sweet. Any spoilers to share? Anything from abilities to characters would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2013-07-19, 20:09   Link #5
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Sweet. Any spoilers to share? Anything from abilities to characters would be greatly appreciated.
I was only able to get that from the scanlated one-shot and chapter 1. Oh, yeah. To the joy of what may easily be the majority of the members of this forum, our main heroine is hot and NOT violent. At least, not in the annoying tsundere way reminiscent of ZnT's Louise and Shana.
Old 2013-07-19, 21:44   Link #6
XFire
150% done

Quote:
I was only able to get that from the scanlated one-shot and chapter 1. Oh, yeah. To the joy of what may easily be the majority of the members of this forum, our main heroine is hot and NOT violent. At least, not in the annoying tsundere way reminiscent of ZnT's Louise and Shana.
And my evaluation of the series has now sky-rocketed.
Old 2013-07-20, 01:58   Link #7
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

^^ The main heroine tried to kill him at first though. But after that she doesn't act violent anymore, at least not in Louise and Claire's level (I don't really count Claire as tsundere, but a bitch).

I read the detailed spoiler of this LN vol. 1 in Thai months ago, no update from the blogger ever since. Google translate is your friend, but I think it's almost unreadable.

Spoiler for link to spoiler vol. 1 (Thai):

Last edited by Kleeyook; 2013-07-20 at 03:45.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 11:51   Link #8
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
^^ The main heroine tried to kill him at first though. But after that she doesn't act violent anymore, at least not in Louise and Claire's level (I don't really count Claire as tsundere, but a bitch).

I read the detailed spoiler of this LN vol. 1 in Thai months ago, no update from the blogger ever since. Google translate is your friend, but I think it's almost unreadable.

Spoiler for link to spoiler vol. 1 (Thai):
Yeah, but look at the process. Our MC walked in on the heroine changing when he tried to return her handkerchief. Now, a typical tsundere heroine like Louise would have just blushed, stuttered baka, and tried to incinerate him, but this heroine blushed, stuttered at him to look away, finished changing, asked for handkerchief, thanked him saying that she was in his debt, and then tried to incinerate him.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have just witnessed the evolution of the main heroine. Let's all give a round of applause. *clap*clap*clap*
Old 2013-07-20, 11:56   Link #9
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Yeah, but look at the process. Our MC walked in on the heroine changing when he tried to return her handkerchief. Now, a typical tsundere heroine like Louise would have just blushed, stuttered baka, and tried to incinerate him, but this heroine blushed, stuttered at him to look away, finished changing, asked for handkerchief, thanked him saying that she was in his debt, and then tried to incinerate him.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have just witnessed the evolution of the main heroine. Let's all give a round of applause. *clap*clap*clap*
I'm more impressed that the MC actually fought back instead of just getting Team Rocket'd into the horizon.
Old 2013-07-20, 11:57   Link #10
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Quote:

It doesn't change the fact that she tried to kill him for pepping on her, even by accident...

Ofcourse, it's all for the comedy, although no one would laugh about that excessive punishment in real life, where such little mishap could result in violent death...
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 12:07   Link #11
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
It doesn't change the fact that she tried to kill him for pepping on her, even by accident...

Ofcourse, it's all for the comedy, although no one would laugh about that excessive punishment in real life, where such little mishap could result in violent death...
Yeah, but the point is that it wasn't the irrational and annoying sort of violence you'd see from Louise. She even answers the our MC's questions as to why she wants to kill him. She's so much more reasonable.
Old 2013-07-21, 07:42   Link #12
setsuna86

Thanks for opening this thread AshenRaven. I think, it will help me to know the fans of this LN. As I write on the forum on BT, I decide to translate it, so if there are many fans of this, I think that my choice of LN was not wrong.
I want to know the opininon of each fan.
setsuna86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 10:06   Link #13
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by setsuna86 View Post
Thanks for opening this thread AshenRaven. I think, it will help me to know the fans of this LN. As I write on the forum on BT, I decide to translate it, so if there are many fans of this, I think that my choice of LN was not wrong.
I want to know the opininon of each fan.
Sweet, a translator. I'll go first: Thanks a million. This seems like a great LN, so looking forward to it.
Old 2013-07-21, 10:21   Link #14
J4n1

Quote:
Yeah, but the point is that it wasn't the irrational and annoying sort of violence you'd see from Louise. She even answers the our MC's questions as to why she wants to kill him. She's so much more reasonable.
And that, right there, makes all the difference.
She did not just blindly flail at someone trying to hurt them and possibly injure them or bystanders.
She calmly thought out the situation, decided what the appropriate action was, and then tried to hurt, and possibly injure, the MC.

And, having heard his excuses, and her reasons, i can't say she does not have a point, sometimes, no matter how well intentioned or ignorant, you just need to accept the punishment for what you have done.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 13:41   Link #15
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
And that, right there, makes all the difference.
She did not just blindly flail at someone trying to hurt them and possibly injure them or bystanders.
She calmly thought out the situation, decided what the appropriate action was, and then tried to hurt, and possibly injure, the MC.

And, having heard his excuses, and her reasons, i can't say she does not have a point, sometimes, no matter how well intentioned or ignorant, you just need to accept the punishment for what you have done.
As if that wasn't enough, spoiler on the BT thread reveals that

Spoiler for MC:
Old 2013-07-21, 13:44   Link #16
whsie

Quote:

Spoiler for MC:
Not sure about that. I've read 2 volumes and I don't feel he is the clear cut #1 though he is at the top. That girl (forgot her name) in the second volume is clearly more skilled and the president- Claudia- hasn't revealed her hands yet (IIRC her power controls time) .

Further, of the 6 schools, the MC's school is supposed to be the weakest. That's part of the reason why Claudia was giving special attention to the MC. Any talent is welcomed.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 14:37   Link #17
J4n1

Quote:

Spoiler for MC:
Not sure what that has to do with the point i was making.
Spoiler:
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 14:54   Link #18
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Spoiler:
I was just using it as another point as to why this series is so awesome. An evolved heroine and a calm, cool, strong MC. What's not to love?
Old 2013-07-21, 20:32   Link #19
whsie

Quote:
Spoiler:
Personally, I hate Louise as much as the next person. The heroines of HnA and STnBD also fall into the same category. Those are incorrectly written tsunderes if you can even call them that.

I can safely say that aside from the beginning, the heroine in this series doesn't go off on the MC like that anymore.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 09:42   Link #20
blade82

i don't intend to defend Claire but compared to Louise she became more softer after some time
blade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history, fantasy, harem, school life