AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-04-19, 13:07   Link #61
Lawfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
If you can afford it I would go for one of those pro screens used in studio, broadcasting and film shooting, some of those JVC, flanders and panny(plasmas) could fit your requirement better than those NEC, Eizo or HP you have listed.
Is that the sort of thing you are referring to:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-mon...deoproduction/

http://www.sonycenter.lu/194-sony-moniteur-production

?
Lawfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 14:41   Link #62
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Those small screen oled don't really do the tech any justice. Except for saving energy they are a bit gimmicky for that kind of job.
It doesn't matter what kind of AMOLED display you have. They have oversaturated colors. It's just a quality of the technology. I've seen the big LG AMOLED TVs and monitors, they look just as vibrant and eye-poppingly bright colorwise as the screen of my Nexus phone.

This looks good for consumers sure, but it's near-useless to professionals who need the colors to be accurate, to match exactly on the screen and on the printed photos.
Old 2012-04-19, 16:18   Link #63
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It doesn't matter what kind of AMOLED display you have. They have oversaturated colors. It's just a quality of the technology. I've seen the big LG AMOLED TVs and monitors, they look just as vibrant and eye-poppingly bright colorwise as the screen of my Nexus phone.
OLED like plasma screens uses most energy when they have to create white/bright colours which makes them kind of useless for mobile devices, imo. A IPS, or any lcd tech for that matter, with led backlight would be better suited for such devices and provide better image quality and colour accuracy on limited power supply.
Not sure about the LGs, but the sonys have colour filters and their patented something something, and once calibrated with a probe it looks pretty accurate. Still I would take a CRT over them anytime, but these screens are pretty light and much more easy to carry around than a crt and they save space in the van/car. Then again these screens are quoted to have around 30000 hour life time and considering the price it is not suited for mass market imo.

@Lawfer, yeap, but there are other manufacturers that do offer similar screens for that market, like JVC and Panny
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 16:53   Link #64
Lawfer

Quote:
@Lawfer, yeap, but there are other manufacturers that do offer similar screens for that market, like JVC and Panny
Does Sony offer any LED Pro monitors in 16:9 or 16:10 1920x1080? (aside from the super expensive OLEDs, I mean.)
Old 2012-04-19, 18:23   Link #65
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

This looks good for consumers sure, but it's near-useless to professionals who need the colors to be accurate, to match exactly on the screen and on the printed photos.
This is correct. All kinds of OLED displays have absolutely terrible color accuracy (many also have really fucking weird gamma ramps), and what's worse is that their color representation changes over time, so you have to keep recalibrating them very often if you want any sort of reliable color representation.

Please do not buy OLED displays.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 18:47   Link #66
Lawfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Please do not buy OLED displays.
PVM-1741 = 3500€...

You don't have to tell me twice. But I did once buy a TV for that price , one of those Sony's Bravia XBR2 in 2006, SD content (Playstation 2, Wii) and pretty much anything non-HDMI looked absolutely horrendous, plus the screen died on me after maybe 200 hours of use.

New technology is always overpriced and far from perfect.
Old 2012-04-20, 03:16   Link #67
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfer View Post
Does Sony offer any LED Pro monitors in 16:9 or 16:10 1920x1080? (aside from the super expensive OLEDs, I mean.)
Not as far as I am aware off. Think Flanders have one or two models that uses LED backlightiing, there is a reason why they are not so popular. Think without filter the backlight will cause the colours to look unnatural. Having said that I haven't seen those RGB backlights yet, so maybe they are somewhat better.

In any case you can always look for a Sony GDM-FW900
Old 2012-04-20, 12:10   Link #68
Lawfer

Quote:
Not as far as I am aware off. Think Flanders have one or two models that uses LED backlightiing, there is a reason why they are not so popular. Think without filter the backlight will cause the colours to look unnatural. Having said that I haven't seen those RGB backlights yet, so maybe they are somewhat better.

Flanders don't have any monitors for sell in Europe. I have the Bravia RGB backlight LED TV from Sony and the colors look great on it, better than the result I would get from the previous model of the Bravia line that used WCG-CCFL.

But most companies use LED Backlight now from what I've seen, as a matter of fact the Pro Monitors from JVC all use LED backlight, while the most highend ones all use RGB LED (DreamColor, W2420R, IP240ex, 324i). The reason Sony doesn't use LED on their pro monitors is because these monitors from the LUMA line are a couple years old already (2007, 2008, 2009).

Though the fact that the high end color critical accuracy monitors all use either RGB LED or CCFL (Eizo, NEC, HP, Quato, LaCie, Dell, LG) instead of regular LED backlighting may be an indication that regular LED is not as good as it should be.

Also I read that the lifespan of regular LED monitors is lower compared to the lifespan of CCFL and RGB LED, also display that use regular LED tend to turn blueish with time, similarly seen with CCFL display that tend to turn yellowish with time.
Old 2012-04-20, 15:06   Link #69
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfer View Post
Also I read that the lifespan of regular LED monitors is lower compared to the lifespan of CCFL and RGB LED, also display that use regular LED tend to turn blueish with time, similarly seen with CCFL display that tend to turn yellowish with time.
The blueish tone is traceback to the way how the white light is achieve. Some backlight uses a blue or green diode mixed with phosphor substance to get white coluring. Others, like high end screens, uses R-G-B diodes to get this, but those screen are normally much more expensive, like you said.

Plasma is another alternative, but don't think they do small plasmas anymore and even then some screen do suffer from phosphor trails. Besides that they aren't really suitable as a computer monitor, static image aso.

Since you already got a premium TV, maybe you should use that to view anime and get a decent monitor for your other work. You can get a small server, think HP are doing a cashback deal on their amd powered ones, to store your anime collection and that way you can share those between all your terminals, like notebook, pc, ps3, TV, tablet aso.
Old 2012-04-20, 16:15   Link #70
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I have a normal LED TV (Samsung UE40C6000) and there is absolutely no blueish tone to it.
The colors are the best I have seen so far. Placing a fullscreen high-res picture on it looks amazing.
It didn't cost a fortune either. Less than most of the monitors discussed in this thread...

So if TVs like this exist, I really doubt that no one is able to build a decent LED monitor.

You should just go around and pick one that looks good instead of buying into all the marketing gibberish that's trying to sell you the latest most expensive crap.
This thread is heading into videophile territory...
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 00:48   Link #71
flying ^

Quote:

I doubt most laptops or even desktops with new vid cards these days can display greater than 60hz refresh rate (in ideal 1920x1080 rez) using that analog monitor. 60hz on a CRT = flicker gallore!
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 01:08   Link #72
Lawfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
I doubt most laptops or even desktops with new vid cards these days can display greater than 60hz refresh rate (in ideal 1920x1080 rez) using that analog monitor. 60hz on a CRT = flicker gallore!
Forget CRTs, my PC can display 75hz over 1280x1024, no problem. I think I am going to get the W2420R from LG, this one is already factory pre-calibrated and the least expensive of the RGB displays.