AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-25, 22:26   Link #141
Sol Falling

As for GeK, I think that's actually being held up by Oyatsu, where their timer is busy with university. Hyouge Mono comparatively seems to be a fully internal project largely just dependent on whenever Ladholyman finds time to translate extra episodes. Yesterday's 5-episode marathon was amazing, lol.

Anyway, I've been really enjoying this series as well. I think what's kind of incredible about this series is that it actually manages to communicate some extent of the qualities of "shibui", "wabi", etc. on an experiential level, at least enough to coherently express their meaning. I found it pretty funny how, just like Furuta, this series managed with its presentation to make me also do things like feeling lust towards CG depictions of tea jars, lol. As a concrete exploration of aesthetics, Hyouge Mono delivers a unique type of content which is pretty much incomparable to anything else provided by modern anime. The more I watch, the more I find that this show is a really accessible treatment of some of the most esoteric/distinct aspects of Japan's cultural heritage.

I'm quite glad that there's still a sizeable chunk of 9 episodes before the end, as I honestly haven't gotten enough yet. On the other hand, the latest episode seems to point towards the mental breakdown/deterioration of Rikyuu, one of the staunchest pillars of aesthetic thought to this point in the series. I'm not certain where the series will head from here, but it feels pretty tragic (there's also the issue of course of Tokugawa displacing Hideyoshi, which the series has already brought up). The loss of Nobunaga was a pretty big deal for me in this series too, I gotta admit I'm pretty nervous about losing a bunch of characters as we head towards the ending.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2013-03-26 at 09:54.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 09:50   Link #142
Dartz

The loss of characters is inevitable, as their real counterparts died as well and this anime is taking history in terms of time, personage and place very accurately.

Nevertheless this anime is IMHO the best anime for me in the past 6 years.

A side note might be considered a spoiler by some people but it's not intended to be a spoiler:

The anime end is respective to chapter 93 of the manga, it is around the middle of volume 9. There are 16 volumes out there and Hyouge Mono is not finished yet. As being a series, which syndication was on NHK BS PREMIUM there might be a second season in the FAR future.

Last edited by Dartz; 2013-03-26 at 10:33.
Dartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 12:23   Link #143
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
Sol is right - Ginga e Kickoff has been fully translated and it's in Oyatsu's hands now.

With any luck Hyouge Mono will be finished before April. This is one of the most difficult shows I have ever tackled - thank goodness for Wikipedia and those Japanese history classes I took in college.
Old 2013-03-29, 12:34   Link #144
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

And we all thank you sincerely for your efforts! I often wondered whether the Japanese dialogue included archaic words or grammatical structures appropriate to the period. If so, I can imagine it would be a bear to fansub, certainly in comparison to a high-school romantic comedy.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 17:08   Link #145
Dartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladholyman View Post
Sol is right - Ginga e Kickoff has been fully translated and it's in Oyatsu's hands now.

With any luck Hyouge Mono will be finished before April. This is one of the most difficult shows I have ever tackled - thank goodness for Wikipedia and those Japanese history classes I took in college.
Thank you for your great effort

Will you also translate the "meihin-meiseki" special episodes? They are a very interesting source of information regarding the various masterpieces shown in the series.
Old 2013-03-29, 19:06   Link #146
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladholyman View Post

Yes, of course I echo the gratitude for all your fine work. Doremi (going all the way back to Petopeto-san) has always been associated with underappreciated and brilliant anime.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 05:55   Link #147
Sol Falling

Holy crap. Another 5 episode release. Doremi, you are too god tier. Also, all of this coming in the last weeks of the spring semester is totally worsening my procrastination habits, lol.

In any case, these last couple episodes were freakin' amazing. The backdrop of the politics at the time of Hideyoshi's downfall interleaved with Oribe's final formation as an aesthetic. It is simply too incredible.

Apologies if it's been mentioned in this thread before; I get the vague feeling that it might have. However, does anyone know how the anime's 39 episode count/pacing compares with the manga source material? Did this turn out to be a full adaptation? Or can we expect that there is more to the story after the anime? 'Cause basically, everything feels like it is coming to a head so nicely that I might be perfectly convinced if 39 is the end.

Man, I want to show this anime to other people. It's just so new and fresh and awesome in the end.
Old 2013-04-01, 10:39   Link #148
Dartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
[...]

Apologies if it's been mentioned in this thread before; I get the vague feeling that it might have. However, does anyone know how the anime's 39 episode count/pacing compares with the manga source material? Did this turn out to be a full adaptation? Or can we expect that there is more to the story after the anime? 'Cause basically, everything feels like it is coming to a head so nicely that I might be perfectly convinced if 39 is the end.

Here is the answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartz View Post
[...]
The anime end is respective to chapter 93 of the manga, it is around the middle of volume 9. There are 16 volumes out there and Hyouge Mono is not finished yet. As being a series, which syndication was on NHK BS PREMIUM there might be a second season in the FAR future.
The anime is very faithful to the manga with some minor changes in the area of gore. As usual the manga is more explicit.
Old 2013-04-05, 15:25   Link #149
Dop
Mmmm....

You know, it's not that long ago I thought I'd never get to see all of this show - but now I have, and I'm so glad I stuck around for it.

Wow. What a fantastic finale. That last scene was just incredible.

This was a fantastic rare gem of a series, and made such a change from the usual high-school hi-jinks fare.

Big thanks must go to ladholyman and the Doremi team for making the subs available and finishing the series off, and also to Huzzah who started the task all that time ago.

And to NHK for making it in the first place. Anime needs more shows of this ilk, I think.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 00:23   Link #150
Sol Falling

Ah. Ah, ah, goddamn. What an end. That was incredible. Peerless, even. A perfect place to end the anime, even if Furuta's story most certainly is not over. Seems like Hideyoshi lived past the ending of the anime after all, though I certainly wonder how the politics will play out to the future. However, with the death of Rikyuu, who did the voiceover for both the intro and the outro to each of the episodes...this end certainly is defining.

I seriously hope for a continuation. It is evident that there really is so much more to tell. This is the most impressive treatment of Japanese history I've seen in, well, pretty much anything.

Huge props to Doremi (and Huzzah at the start) for subbing this. It has really been an incredibly enriching experience. I will certainly remember this anime as an enduring member of my all-time favourites, something no other anime has accomplished since 2006's Mushishi. Many anime make pretensions towards being works of art or part of an artform, but few have so maturely and unassumingly demonstrated it as Hyouge Mono.
Old 2013-08-06, 03:55   Link #151
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Thank you Doremi team for a valiant effort to bring this series in subtitles.

It was a moving series with so many colourful characters to remember. I would have wished to see what happens with other characters but oh well what I watched so far it was a brilliant chronicle of Furuta and his obsession for aesthetics. The conclusion is definitely one of the most memorable as it is the final exchange between the deepest characters. I have to say this series was able to animate the each episode where one major character dies with such nuance and care, it was hard not to feel moved and conflicted.
Old 2013-09-23, 12:00   Link #152
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have returned to watching this series and wondered if the OST is available somewhere. I don't think it was ever released in Japan as there is no listing for it at CDJapan and no torrents for it at the usual places. Does anyone else know if there is an OST album that I simply could not find?

My trip to CDJapan also informed me that I could buy the BD release of this series, without subtitles of course, for a mere $1000 (3 boxes at about $320 each). That's something like $25/episode and way too rich for my blood. In fact I have to wonder whether anyone has bought this series at those kinds of prices. There are no sales data for Hyouge Mono in the thread here.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-14, 14:03   Link #153
cupumanager

There are 16 volumes? So basically the Anime is just little after mid-story?
Spoiler for Manga Spoiler.:

Last edited by Solace; 2014-03-14 at 15:54. Reason: Added spoiler tags.
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
historical, tea