AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: What translation do you want?
Shibaratsu (same as before) 14 10.37%
Shubarutsu (phonetics) 0 0%
Schwarz (German for "black") 48 35.56%
Schwartz (Also from the German word for "black") 73 54.07%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-07, 01:09   Link #61
ArchDragon
The Ultimate Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Fox
That is incorrect. There is no such thing as a correct variant of a language. There's only the one you think is best. I, for one, prefer the British spellings.
It doesn't matter what you and I think is best, what truly matters is what the rest of the world think is best.

Language is used to communicate, so the variant that is used/understood by most, is by concensus the "correct" one.
Old 2006-02-07, 01:34   Link #62
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Well, the only country that strictly uses American English is the USA and the only country that uses country that strictly uses British English is the UK. All other English speaking countries use a mixture of the two, usually favouring one over the other for particular words.
Old 2006-02-07, 10:09   Link #63
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDragon
When it comes to languages with multiple variants, like English and Chinese.
The one that is most widely used around the world is the correct one.

So why don't you experts enlighten me, which one is most widely used around the world? American English, or British English?

It doesn't matter what you and I think is best, what truly matters is what the rest of the world think is best.
Language is used to communicate, so the variant that is used/understood by most, is by concensus the "correct" one.
No, Rob the Fox is right. English has variations, two of which are British English and American English. With my own preference for my own country's variety aside, one is no more correct than the other. They're variants of English, simple as that. It doesn't matter one bit which is more widely used. Stop being so arrogant.
Old 2006-02-07, 13:40   Link #64
ArchDragon
The Ultimate Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
It doesn't matter one bit which is more widely used. Stop being so arrogant.
So, you don't care one bit about what the rest of the world thinks, yet you call me arrogant?
Look in the mirror sometimes...

English has a lot of variants, some variants might not be understood in other English speaking communities.

But there are 2 variants that are generally understood by almost every English speaking communities.
From those 2, the one that is more widely used should be the one to be used as a standard.

It's as simple as that.
So, tell me, which one is it?
Old 2006-02-07, 14:13   Link #65
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDragon
So, you don't care one bit about what the rest of the world thinks, yet you call me arrogant?
Look in the mirror sometimes...
Um, yes I do. That's why they're equal and varieties. If I was coming up with some ridiculous reason why British English was correct, THEN that would be arrogant. I do accept the rest of the world's varieties, which is why they're equal.

Quote:
English has a lot of variants, some variants might not be understood in other English speaking communities.
Ever met anyone that didn't know what color meant? Ever met anyone that didn't know what colour meant? If one knows what materialise meeans, it's not hard to guess what materialize means, and the reverse. Normally education includes little things like this, as shown by the fact most British people understand American spellings, and most Americans understand British spellings. No problems.

Quote:
But there are 2 variants that are generally understood by almost every English speaking communities.
From those 2, the one that is more widely used should be the one to be used as a standard.
Sure, maybe one day that'll be the case. As it stands now, they're equal varieties. You're not 'correct' just because you spell a word like the so called 'majority' do, and standardisation won't be, and never has been, a simple case of 'Oh people took some letters from our words, but there's more of them now, let's go with that'.

No, forget it. The point that me and Fox have been stressing over and over again is EITHER IS FINE. If Doremi want to put 'Materialise' in the subtitles, go for it. If Doremi want to put 'Materialize' in the subtitles, go for it. They both mean the same thing, and even asteron, who didn't realise that Materialise was the accepted British spelling, knew very well what was meant - it's not a difficult deduction to make. I have no idea where Mace and Lad are from, but it's their right to use whichever variety they prefer, although consistency would be a good thing. However, both are acceptable spellings of the word and one is no more correct than the other. That is all.
Old 2006-02-07, 14:14   Link #66
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Well I live in Canada and was taught mainly the British spelling of the words in school, however if someone was to use the American spelling its not wrong either. It also depends on where in the world you are, places with British influences will most likely be using British spelling and vice versa.
Closed Thread