AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2023-11-28, 18:06   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1100 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

My goodness, 1100 chapters..... how far we've come. Anyway, credit goes to Redon, Pewpiece, and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Thank you, Bonney". The splash features Usopp and Sanji. Interestingly, Usopp thinks of his old "pirate crew" from Syrup Village while watching Sanji cook.

-Continuing from last time, Kizaru leads a squad of marines (X Drake being among them) to Vegapunk's lab! Since the scientist just recently moved to Egghead, he didn't realize he was being spied on. Kizaru puts him in contact with Saturn, who's well aware of the of the secret (and very much illegal) deal he made with Kuma..... but he's willing to let him slide, since he approves of the idea of cloning the pirate. He also adds three extra conditions to their deal: First, Kuma must become a warlord, taking the place of one (unknown to us readers at this point) who was recently defeated by ACE. Secondly, Kuma must agree to become a cybernetic living weapon. Lastly, once the surgery is complete, his mind must be wiped clean. Vegapunk objects to the last stipulation, since erasing Kuma's mind is tantamount to killing him, but Kuma himself has no objections..... as long as he can finally save Bonney.

-Vegapunk explains that Bonney's surgery will take six months (with an additional year-long recovery period before she can finally go outside), while Kuma's will take two years. Saturn adds that Bonney will be kept hostage since it's possible Kuma could flee with her once she's cured.... so she'll only be set free once her father's mind is erased. Kuma agrees to those terms, but adds one of his own: Once Bonney is cured, she will be sent back to Sorbet so she doesn't learn her father's fate. Saturn agrees, since Sorbet is under WG watch, anyway. During Bonney's treatment, we see that she and Kuma become closer to not just Vegapunk and Sentoumaru, but surprisingly, Kizaru. Still, true to Saturn's word, Bonney is returned to Sorbet after her surgery is completed. However, she's kept under the watch of a WG medical team, the leader of which is a CP8 agent known as Alpha. Kuma gives his daughter his final farewell, thanking her for being born.....

-Afterwards, he begins carrying out his duties as a newly crowned warlord. We see a montage of several other familiar characters reacting to the news of his exploits (the other warlords, WB pirates, RA, etc.). All the while, Kuma writes Bonney a letter about his travels. At the end of the chapter we see, surprisingly enough, a younger Luffy! As it turns out, Kuma's ship was sailing near the rubber boy's home of Foosha village! However, it seems his visit gets cut short as he receives his latest government orders.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-28, 18:56   Link #2
Gerard07

Seeing the spoilers, in the end Kuma wasted all his humanity for his daughter T.T, but why did Vegapunk say before that there is a "good reason" not to give him his humanity back? (Would that be anything different than just not being able to because it's impossible?) And who was the Shichibukai that was defeated by Ace? (Will it be someone new or someone we know?) and Kuma went to Luffy's village, who will be there?, to wait for the next chapter!.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-28, 22:25   Link #3
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Now, we just need to find a proper timeline for this. If we can link it correctly, then we can get a correct timeline. Oda says that Bonney's age was 12, and if she was 12 during Luffy's starting journey, then she'd be 14 by now.

As for Vegapunk why he wouldn't give his humanity back, I'm sure there's a reason and motives behind it.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-29, 07:34   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Pretty sure Kuma will meet Luffy and become convinced he's Nika somehow. We know Kuma can extract memories so there's no problem with Luffy having met him in the past and not remembering him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Now, we just need to find a proper timeline for this. If we can link it correctly, then we can get a correct timeline. Oda says that Bonney's age was 12, and if she was 12 during Luffy's starting journey, then she'd be 14 by now.

As for Vegapunk why he wouldn't give his humanity back, I'm sure there's a reason and motives behind it.
Bonney is 12 now, she was 10 before the timeskip.
Old 2023-11-29, 11:18   Link #5
Rurik
Golden

Loooking forward to catchup to all thats going on, definitely feels we are close to end and will love to be around here once everything is done!
Old 2023-11-29, 17:01   Link #6
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Now, we just need to find a proper timeline for this.
We didn't get a specific timing of Kuma's arrival at the end. So it is anywhere between 1.5 years and 1 day before Luffy goes to sea.
Though he looks a bit too young in the panel, but we also barely see him.

Last edited by Hoodspirit; 2023-11-29 at 17:18.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-29, 18:52   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Kizaru even joined in on the Nika dance. It's hard to get a read on what he's actually feeling deep down though, his expression hardly ever changes. Would be cool to see him turn traitor after realizing Saturn can be beaten.

I get why Kuma accepted Saturn's deal. What I don't get at the moment is why he didn't run away with Bonney at Sabaody. Bonney had escaped WG custody and earned the title of Supernova, there's no way he didn't know about it. Why would he still choose to become a mindless machine knowing they had an opportunity to be free and sail the seas together like they dreamed of?

Also, really cute that he used her drawing as his Jolly Roger. Best dad.
Old 2023-11-29, 19:09   Link #8
grecefar

you could tell that even kizaru know how messed up all of that situation is but in the end he is loyal to the WG and the navy so there must be a reason for that.

at least kuma got to spend all that time with bonnie and enjoy his last moments with her, a little joy in such a tragic past.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-29, 22:44   Link #9
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I get why Kuma accepted Saturn's deal. What I don't get at the moment is why he didn't run away with Bonney at Sabaody. Bonney had escaped WG custody and earned the title of Supernova, there's no way he didn't know about it. Why would he still choose to become a mindless machine knowing they had an opportunity to be free and sail the seas together like they dreamed of?
The only thing that I can think of is that if Kuma runs away with Bonney at Sabaody, it won't end well for both of them. Saturn can hunt them down all the time, and Kuma refuses to put Bonney in constant danger under his protection.

If Bonney becomes a pirate through her own volition, Kuma has no rights to stop her. It's her future and he'll be surely keep an eye on her all the time. It's similar to Garp where he'll be secretly supportive of Luffy's desire, as he kept laughing and bragging about his achievements.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-30, 09:28   Link #10
Theia_Loki

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is leading up to the moment where the Goa King gets assassinated? That's what came to mind, and knowing that Kuma was sent there and how Stelly is the current King of the Goa Kingdom, that might be what happened. Or at least part of it.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 08:59   Link #11
Rainbowman

This talk of former warlords makes me wonder when the warlord system even started before knowing the ones we infamously knew when Luffy’s journey began.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-02, 12:42   Link #12
Gerard07

Having seen the chapter, it was explained about Kuma's deal with Saturn (I think Kuma has the biggest heart in the manga), it was unexpected to see Kizaru sharing with everyone (even dancing) and so was the fact that Kuma apparently already I knew Luffy, what would happen?, and although I was hoping they would explain why the Bucaneer race is so "special" it was a good chapter, let's wait for the next one!.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-02, 23:08   Link #13
marvelB

Hm, it's interesting to see that Kizaru had such an active role in Kuma and Bonney's past. Coupled with his earlier reluctance to take down Sentoumaru, it really does seem like Oda's setting him up to follow in Kuzan's footsteps and turn on the government. Actually, it seems all three OG admirals will end up defying the elders at some point. Recall Sakazuki had even voiced his displeasure with them at the end of Dressrosa.... but in his case I think it's more likely he'd attempt a coup and take their spot as top dictator in charge, rather than dismantle the WG entirely. We know all too well that he isn't the type to sympathize with pirates (or pretty much anyone he views as "soft"), after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia_Loki View Post
Does anyone else get the feeling that this is leading up to the moment where the Goa King gets assassinated? That's what came to mind, and knowing that Kuma was sent there and how Stelly is the current King of the Goa Kingdom, that might be what happened. Or at least part of it.
This is an interesting idea, and I could indeed see Kuma being connected in some way to the previous king's murder. However, I doubt he'll be the one who pulled off the deed in question, since he still has his humanity at this point (I mean, it doesn't seem he even finished off the king who terrorized his own homeland, so...). Maybe he'll end up causing some sort of distraction that leads to someone else taking advantage of the situation, thus resulting in Stelly gaining the crown?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-04, 04:15   Link #14
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Heartbreaking chapter.
I can't help but think that Marine, civilian, and pirates might be able to get along if we banished World Government. St. Saturn is a power-hunger jerk.
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-04, 23:21   Link #15
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Heartbreaking chapter.
I can't help but think that Marine, civilian, and pirates might be able to get along if we banished World Government. St. Saturn is a power-hunger jerk.
There's still a good four more of them. Five if we count Imu.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote