AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2014-07-29, 22:40   Link #1
james0246

[Manga] Naruto Chapter 687 Discussion Thread

Welcome to the weekly manga chapter discussion thread. This thread is created early to discuss spoilers and speculation about the upcoming chapter as well as discussion of said chapter once it has been released.

As per the forums rules, please don't ask for or mention about where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc. Additionally, if you are posting another's synopsis (or their translation of a synopsis), then please provide credit were credit is due.

Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This stands for pictures and direct translations. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK as well if you want to illustrate your point but this is it.

---

I keep hoping Hinata will show up. I don't know why-maybe just for giggles; but what the hell, throw her in this mess and let the fans do what the fans do best.

Whether Hinata appears or not, here is the new chapter thread. Some may say it is too early, but they know not of what they speak. It is never to early for spoilers, and never to late to be spoiled.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 00:56   Link #2
ranchan13

Why do I get the feeling that this sets up for another entire chapter dedicated to Rin and Obito???
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 01:00   Link #3
akumaten

To Obito: Later, fucker. Any sympathy for this guy was lost when he was revived.
To Naruto:....No. You will become the WORST Hokage ever. You are just the Almighty Janitor in the worst way (no offense to actual janitors)
akumaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 01:15   Link #4
Wandering Soul

So this time we confirmed that Obito is dead. I get that Naruto gained some respect for Obito but really the coolest guy you know cost you your parents

I guess the afterlife doesn't care about age differences so Obito is still free to go on all the afterlife dates he wants with Rin.
Old 2014-07-30, 01:18   Link #5
DKN117

...Well, so much for my prediction of Kakashi getting an Eternal MS by somehow ninja-magic combining Obito's eyes into a single eye. Looks like he's now doomed to join around 80% of the rest of the cast in being thoroughly overshadowed and rendered near-completely useless, now that he has permanently lost the Sharingan and associated abilities that made him such an effective badass up to now. Damn it...
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 01:39   Link #6
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Who is this? It can't be Sakura, Kakashi or Sasuke. Since they are all standing close to Naruto and Obito.
Spoiler:
Old 2014-07-30, 01:47   Link #7
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
Who is this? It can't be Sakura, Kakashi or Sasuke. Since they are all standing close to Naruto and Obito.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2014-07-30, 02:03   Link #8
The Green One

Sayonara Obito.

Spoiler for .....:
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 02:04   Link #9
Esclair

So I guess they're setting up for a final Sasuke x Naruto duel, with the Hokage title on the line.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 03:22   Link #10
Spelt

Quote:
Spoiler:
Damn, good eye. Maybe it has something to do with that cave we saw in the background a few chapters ago?
Old 2014-07-30, 03:50   Link #11
Kumagawa

9 chapters of Kaguya and counting

Kishi better get past her soon because the ratings for Naruto are dropping with every chapter since she became the new big bad ( makes me actually miss when Obito was the main villain let alone the 23 chapters of awesome with Madara).

While I think Kishi will end the manga before the release of the next film in December (film in theatre's to mark end of the manga and then it's DVD release with the end of the TV show) I just wish we had someone else as the opponent than the silent Kaguya.
Kumagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 05:33   Link #12
JustRob

I really don't even know wtf is going on anymore. They're fighting a woman who is basically God's mom with Black Zetsu up her sleeve, changing worlds randomly... I just want this thing to be over already. This is about as painful as the last couple of chapters of the Aizen arc in Bleach when he went half-Hollow and batshit crazy.
Old 2014-07-30, 06:47   Link #13
neshru

Is the arc over yet?
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 07:07   Link #14
Soverence

I feel like this chapter was probably the weakest in the arch yet, not much happened other then Obito's final monologue which to me personally makes it the weakest chapter just because Obito was such a weak character in my mind.

As for Kaguya as a villain, my only issue is all the build-up to her being the big bad guy comes in this arch alone and I don't really remember any foreshadowing to her being the true final villain in previous arcs. On top of that, she comes off as a somewhat generic villain with her goals and ideas which I think just hurts her character even more.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Ill agree that it isn't Sakura since she would be off to the side based on where she was last chapter, but it really could be anyone at this point, maybe the kages have finished helping the sage and are about to join the fray?
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 07:12   Link #15
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
Ugh. Obito's death might of meant something if he hadn't already been fake killed numerous times before and actually had a decent back story. Instead the entire Obito and Rin plot was terrible. And tying Naruto into it just made it worse.

No character wasted more pages than Obito, so I guess it is fitting his death chapter just dragged on with a rehash of hammered home themes and flashbacks. You can tell Kishi thought this was great stuff and fans should be crying over him, but I never wanted a character more gone than Obito. I truly hope that was the last of Obito and Rin.

And yeah, Kishi has gotten himself into another major rut with Kaguya. Another endless loop. And outside of the Kages, there is nowhere else for him to go for a break since every other character is in dream land. Speaking of which, shouldn't they have turned into white Zetsu by now?

Quote:
Spoiler:
It is a crack. The way Kishi drew it sort of makes it look like the silhouette of a person. But it is probably just a crack in the landscape.

Last edited by Ulquiorra; 2014-07-30 at 07:26.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 07:26   Link #16
Tchadnis

so Obito was all about Rin until his death , they will be together in the afterlife! will be their personal kind of date
Old 2014-07-30, 08:43   Link #17
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
So this time we confirmed that Obito is dead. I get that Naruto gained some respect for Obito but really the coolest guy you know cost you your parents

I guess the afterlife doesn't care about age differences so Obito is still free to go on all the afterlife dates he wants with Rin.
I'm viewing it like Discworld's after-life... you get to experience whatever you want to experience there if you feel like you deserve it. (But Discworld does it in a non-serious, silly way.)

Well, I actually thought that this was an excellent chapter. This was probably the first very emotional chapter for me in a while. There was that old Naruto feel again from before Shippuden like with the first rasengan arc even if it was only brief....

Also, I was just talking with a friend about how Kakashi has become useless without sharingan and his first words were: " " That was priceless.

I'm now hoping for some actual Kakashi badassery that will be worth it after his whole original arc in the anime that I really rather liked.

I actually can see why Kakashi-> Sasuke and Obito -> Naruto... because both of them are very similar to each other in many ways... So of course, Naruto would have thought that Obito was a cool guy, and of course Naruto would say that in that position because he wants to honor Obito's death in his final moments.

I like that even know it's being done in such a black and white way... with making the villains think that the good guys will despise Obito (because that's clearly a stupid idea in the first place), it is touching upon deep themes like Obito being hated by both sides and actually failing to accomplish any of his dreams, and him finally making that last realization because he met Naruto again.

Obito definitely at least redeemed himself in his last moments for me in that when he died he was a good guy (mostly except for that Rin angst ). He can't make up for his previous sins, but at least when he died he had good intentions, which makes a large amount of difference in how his friends and Naruto will remember him.

I also like how he reminds Naruto that his ninja way is that he never goes back on his word... and it's why Naruto couldn't bring himself to say that he would save Obito or else... he would have gone back on his word... Since this is shonen, it obviously won't become tragic to the point where Naruto would be wrong about something like that lol, but at least he has to live on with the pain.

Even with all of the black/white here from the villains... the protagonists are getting more and more gray morality as the series goes on, which is rather nice, I'd say. (it's good for the kids in Japan who watch this...)
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 08:50   Link #18
GDB

Good lord Kishi, did we really need an entire freaking chapter devoted to a character you've already essentially killed off multiple times? What a freaking mess this has become.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 10:27   Link #19
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulquiorra View Post
It is a crack. The way Kishi drew it sort of makes it look like the silhouette of a person. But it is probably just a crack in the landscape.
i doubt it's a crack. it's shaped too strangely for that. but the version i read doesn't have 2 legs. someone doctored this one
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-30, 10:30   Link #20
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

All heil Obito. On one hand the man was a self-deluded screwup who spent two generations and countless lives cobbling together a genocidal cluster fuck over his childhood crush but on the other hand -and more importantly- he wanted to become Hokage once upon a time.

This chapter was totally worth it just to see that Naruto still has his priorities straight.

Last edited by Hunter; 2014-07-30 at 10:45. Reason: typo
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion