AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-18, 02:34   Link #61
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
Does that mean that the cat wouldn't be able to bind his own spirits with the book? And does the book have only a limited number of pages?

Anyway the whole show has a sad feeling about it but it's sort of a whispy regretful feeling. Thinking about it just now I'm sort of worried about how it'll end up since I can't see it having a non-bittersweet ending. But I should just enjoy the episodes now. Huh.
The book itself isn't important. It's not a magic book or anything, it's just a bunch of pieces of paper bound together. The important parts are the names that Reiko collected from the youkai, and therefore the pages they're written on. So, it's got a finite number of pages, and so far we haven't seen anything to imply that other people/youkai can't take names on their own. Presumably anyone could coerce a youkai into doing whatever ceremony is necessary to mystically put their name on a piece of paper. Reiko just happened to collect a whole ton of them and some youkai want to take advantage of that.

Edit: These are my impressions and could turn out to be wrong. I'm basing on the fact that it's never said that Reiko got a magic book or anything like that, just that she went around beating up youkai and taking their names.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 07:40   Link #62
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
Does that mean that the cat wouldn't be able to bind his own spirits with the book? And does the book have only a limited number of pages?

Anyway the whole show has a sad feeling about it but it's sort of a whispy regretful feeling. Thinking about it just now I'm sort of worried about how it'll end up since I can't see it having a non-bittersweet ending. But I should just enjoy the episodes now. Huh.
probably will just be another episode of his returning a name.. since the manga (which I've devoured in one day coz the anime is sooo interesting) hasn't ended yet. Unless they make an original anime ending...
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 20:32   Link #63
sanriki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty View Post
Am I the only one that's deeply touched by the ending theme? it's really soothing, and yet, there is so much sadness to be felt from it. I had to listen to it like 3 times because I liked it that much. the 1st time I heard it it made me get a little misty eyed - and it's been so long since an anime's ever done that. I mean, just the ED alone...

I will definitely be following this anime.
Ending theme Natsu-Yuuzora(which means evening sky in summer)is also praised by Natsume-thread in 2channeru,as the best ending in this Anime season.
It remains me of good summer memory in my childhood.

Natsu-Yuuzora sounds somewhat exotic to me, cause it's melody along with Shimauta in Amami islands.
sanriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 23:03   Link #64
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2

Oh wow. That was quite touching. That surprised me, it was just a very well executed piece of storytelling. I've suddenly become very optimistic about this series.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 09:21   Link #65
vspirit
...huh?

Hello, sanriki. Welcome to the board and thread =). I like the song a lot, too. For such a simple and peaceful-sounding song, the impact it’s had on me has shaken me to the core. I looked up the singer as well and was rather surprised to find out that he’s not quite the ‘ojisan’ I thought he was. Shimauta-style singing can be quite misleading, huh? I’m glad that the song is so well received in Japan, though. I hope Atari-san and his music will become more popular because his music is very moving and he gives me the impression of someone who’s truly musical.

I'm glad that most of you are judging and/or gauging the show from the kind of work it is, rather than what it clearly isn't. Because this isn’t an action-packed sort of thing, if that’s what you’re expecting, you’ll only be setting yourself up for disappointment and ruin an experience that could otherwise have been good. Instead, I recommend watching the show for what it is because that way, you’ll be able to notice the subtler things the show has to offer that you’ll otherwise miss if you let your preconceptions cloud your experience of the show.

As for me, I like the lessons in life that are imparted in each episode which the audience get to learn through Takashi’s experiences. Rest assured, Takashi will open himself up little by little to make friends because unlike Reiko, despite all that he’s suffered due to people’s inability to believe and accept (and what they can’t accept, they reject and ridicule instead), he still sees the good and believe in them due to the little kindness and warmth he has been shown (by the Fujiwaras, mostly, and the friends that currently surround him), and so yearns to be apart of their society and world. He’s aloof and without friends at first but you can’t really blame the boy, after knowing the kind of past he’s had (there’s more that the anime hasn’t shown yet). But here, he slowly learns to open up, even if it’s only a little (it’s limited because he’s super-wary of letting others know of his strange ability—a mistake he’s made a few times in the past and suffered the consequences of).

There will be more action-packed episodes in the future, if the anime continues in its current vein of following the manga super-closely (each episode number so far corresponds to the manga chapter it drew its story from), but it will be in the anime’s own unique fashion. Just to inform those of you who are expecting something that’s clearly out of the anime’s genre. Do keep watching though, even if ends up not being quite your thing, because I think this is the kind of show that, if watched with the right frame of mind, appeals to just about anybody, and if enjoyed properly, the lessons you learn from it can make your life a richer one. =)

Last edited by vspirit; 2008-07-20 at 09:38.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 16:27   Link #66
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Wow, another touching episode. This clearly is shaping up to be a great series.
Old 2008-07-21, 05:03   Link #67
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Episode 1 left me a good impression, and episode 2 confirmed it. This is turning out to be a very good anime and one of my favourite this season, episode 2 was very well done and touching. Hope to see more stories like that in the next episodes.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 12:40   Link #68
sanriki

Madara could be Kyuubi cause he seems to be have several tails in Ep2,but today's Ep3 he has only one.hmmm.

Nyanko sensei appears in Asakusa.

Anime staff dedicated Manekineko-style Nyanko sensei at Imado Jinja(shrine),which is well known for Manekineko.

Imado Jinja and Shrine priest Tomoe-san.
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=7BoWu8...eature=related
sanriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 12:57   Link #69
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

oh wow, Im so loving this anime. Epi 2 was nice, such a warm, touching feeling to it. Plus I still love the music in this.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 15:29   Link #70
FireChick

Holy cats!! (get it?) Nyanko is alive! Allelujah!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 23:58   Link #71
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
Rest assured, Takashi will open himself up little by little to make friends because unlike Reiko, despite all that he’s suffered due to people’s inability to believe and accept
hm...I think Reiko's reasoning for not having friends was quite a bit more deeper than that...not so much people's inability to believe, but rather, the fickle and shallow nature of human-kind. Atleast, I thought that was the underlying message when she mentioned this to Shimogami in ep2. People don't need to believe and/or accept to be part of society imho. Think religion...just because you don't believe and accept another's religion, doesn't mean you're isolated from society.

Obviously this is a little more than that (being able to see what others cannot), but hey I could be wrong...i hope they expand on Reiko more over the next few weeks.

Edit: on another note..I'm really impressed by Inoue Kazuhiko's ability to go from abnoxious cutesy voice to bad ass voice at the flip of a switch...pretty crazy lol
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 02:58   Link #72
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanriki View Post
Nyanko sensei appears in Asakusa.

Anime staff dedicated Manekineko-style Nyanko sensei at Imado Jinja(shrine),which is well known for Manekineko.
OMG, hoshii~~~~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
hm...I think Reiko's reasoning for not having friends was quite a bit more deeper than that...not so much people's inability to believe, but rather, the fickle and shallow nature of human-kind. Atleast, I thought that was the underlying message when she mentioned this to Shimogami in ep2. People don't need to believe and/or accept to be part of society imho. Think religion...just because you don't believe and accept another's religion, doesn't mean you're isolated from society.

Obviously this is a little more than that (being able to see what others cannot), but hey I could be wrong...i hope they expand on Reiko more over the next few weeks.
Hm...yeah. See, I missed that xD. All these little philosophies usually take a me a few watches to properly absorb and I'm still only up to round 2 for episode 2. xxD I can't remember if the mangaka expanded on Reiko as much for the first couple of stories but I'm pretty sure she wasn't touched upon so much in the chapters after. Perhaps they'll feature more flashbacks of her in the anime.

Quote:
Edit: on another note..I'm really impressed by Inoue Kazuhiko's ability to go from abnoxious cutesy voice to bad ass voice at the flip of a switch...pretty crazy lol
*nods nods* You have my wholehearted agreement there.
Old 2008-07-22, 03:50   Link #73
kaisama

just watch the first 2 ep, instant favourite, prefer it over pile of ridiculous over the top anime this season.
kaisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 04:59   Link #74
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Heh, if you think about it, Natsume Yuujinchou is a pretty ridiculous show in its premise. But it just handles things so deftly, it doesn't seem so outrageous. Kinda like Mushishi.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 05:04   Link #75
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Heh, if you think about it, Natsume Yuujinchou is a pretty ridiculous show in its premise. But it just handles things so deftly, it doesn't seem so outrageous. Kinda like Mushishi.
I think there's a term for that. It's called supernatural.
Old 2008-07-22, 17:40   Link #76
FireChick

Didn't episode 3 air in Japan yesterday?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 18:13   Link #77
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
oh amen to that! I usually love his voice but I almost didnt believe it was him until he switched and then I was like heck yeah! Very very excellent choice for that role.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 23:39   Link #78
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Didn't episode 3 air in Japan yesterday?
Yes. And it is my favorite of the three episodes. It kept me watching, actually.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 04:06   Link #79
vspirit
...huh?

Oh yeah. It's the funniest so far. And there's character development, too. ^_^ It's one of those episodes from the manga chapters that is better experienced animated, I think.

Man, Nyanko-sensei's antics are just too priceless. xP

Apparently it's only gonna be 13 episodes. While that makes me sad, I suppose being short has its advantages as well.

Last edited by vspirit; 2008-07-23 at 21:34.
Old 2008-07-23, 05:02   Link #80
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Personally, every single episode of this show so far has been AMAZING. Whether it's frightful, wistful, sorrowful or joyful, this show had so many emotions in only a few episodes. I haven't had that kind of feeling since the earlier episodes of Shigofumi.

It's like a much calmer and more emotionally moving version of xxxHolic.

As for the ED, I almost hate it since it keeps making me tear up... Such a great, sad song. On top of the show being entirely about loneliness and dealing with it by interacting with Ayakashi, the feeling of sweet melancholy is not only impressive, but it's leaving a weird feeling on me as a viewer. This is basically why I watch anime, though I'm not a particularly discriminating anime fan (since I do love my share of shonen and magical girl shows..)

Another thing that impresses me is that the main character isn't a distant, sullen and moody character just for the hell of it and because it's the cool thing to do. He is basically isolated by a lot of things that are out of his control (jeez, talk about real life metaphors. I can TOTALLY understand Natsume's feeling of being isolated thanks to just freakish consequences). It feels that everything in this show has some definite meaning and logic to it. I don't get that out of most shows that deals with the supernatural or Ayakashi. Even great shows such as Mushishi tends to feel a bit distant about it since Ginko has such a hands-off approach to things. Totally the opposite for Natsume, even if he has long since become a jaded teen. I'm just impressed with lots of things in this show.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brains-base, fantasy, supernatural, yokai