AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-02-26, 21:52   Link #3041
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I'm not sure on the validity, but during my 'weed-imbibing phase' in college, I recall many pro-marijuana people using the argument about hemp being widespread throughout the world actually (including the founding fathers of the United States among those who grew it). I remember reading the Chinese medicine quote Don links above as well, but I also recall somewhere that the knowledge faded over time of this use. It is true though that the Indians used it as an entheogen, in particular the ascetics known as the Sadhus.

What Sumeragi says is quite possible, as though hemp and cannabis are of the same species, they are different cultivars with different traits selected. I'd assume were you to smoke the buds of industrial-use hemp, you'd have a very minor effect compared to cannabis that has been selected as a hallucinogen. So, even with widespread hemp use in Japan, unless the cultivars selected for psychoactive effects were present, there may have been no association with 'getting high.'
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 17:39   Link #3042
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. I remember reading from Herodotus(written about 500 BC) that the Scythians from the Steppes of modern day Ukraine/Southern Russia would "sit inside an enclosed tent with hot stones in the center. They would throw hemp seeds upon the stones and howl with pleasure"(I paraphrase). Indians also had a long practice of using cannabis, and from my reading of Wikipedia, it's properties were well known to Chinese medicine, Shamans and Taoists. According to "Shennong Ben Cao Jing" "To take much makes people see demons and throw themselves about like maniacs. But if one takes it over a long period of time one can communicate with the spirits, and one's body becomes light".

That said, it may be that Soldiers popularized it outside of medicinal circles. That said, I can't imagine farmers could have not come across the recreational properties of hemp.
Burning the field after a harvest is usually a pretty good first clue
Old 2013-03-04, 07:40   Link #3043
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Hello guys! I heard that Alodia has become a member of a newly-formed idol group Super Dolls.
...Honestly, I don't think that this so-called idol group would last long. It's not like they would hold a candle against the likes of the already-established idol groups.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 06:12   Link #3044
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Hello guys! I heard that Alodia has become a member of a newly-formed idol group Super Dolls.
...Honestly, I don't think that this so-called idol group would last long. It's not like they would hold a candle against the likes of the already-established idol groups.
Yeah, I heard that too. I don't know if that will bring honour to us with the fact that it's related to IDOL/Anime. Wait, does she have Japanese fans?

Anyway.. A question.

When did the "peace sign" became to be used in Japan during photo shoots? Is it related to WWII or something?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 07:10   Link #3045
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In World War II it was the "V for Victory" sign and associated with Winston Churchill.

I've wondered how that became transformed into it signifying "peace."
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 07:19   Link #3046
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
In World War II it was the "V for Victory" sign and associated with Winston Churchill.

So why is it being used in Japan as a very usual pose in pictures?
Old 2013-03-08, 07:27   Link #3047
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
So why is it being used in Japan as a very usual pose in pictures?
because it's a standard sign?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 08:05   Link #3048
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Anyway.. A question.

When did the "peace sign" became to be used in Japan during photo shoots? Is it related to WWII or something?
Is that even a Japanese thing...I see it all over the world
Old 2013-03-08, 08:11   Link #3049
Ridwan

History likes ironies a wee bit too much. I have a similar problem myself.
Old 2013-03-08, 08:18   Link #3050
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Is that even a Japanese thing...I see it all over the world
Well, true but I find it again very common in Japan, especially teenage girls...
Old 2013-03-08, 08:26   Link #3051
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Well, true but I find it again very common in Japan, especially teenage girls...
Well, true but I find it again very common in rest of the world, especially teenagers...

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 08:27   Link #3052
LeoXiao
思想工作

I find it especially common among East Asian girls, not so much others.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 10:33   Link #3053
Sumeragi
Banned

It's supposed to look cute. Need any other reason?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 10:40   Link #3054
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Yeah, I heard that too. I don't know if that will bring honour to us with the fact that it's related to IDOL/Anime. Wait, does she have Japanese fans?

Anyway.. A question.

http://patrickmccoy.typepad.com/lost...se-custom.html

Couldn't find a shot of her actually doing a peace sign .. That .. and I always thought of it as a "V" for "Victory" when used in the Japanese context instead of "Peace"
Old 2013-03-08, 10:46   Link #3055
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Just make sure you don't flash a reverse-V sign in a British pub, or you may well spark off a violent bar brawl.

Quote:
The Rude Reverse peace sign derives from the Hundred Years' War.

Incensed by the losses inflicted by English archers, French knights would cut off the middle and index fingers of any archer they caught, to prevent them from ever pulling a bowstring again.

So, it became popular among English veterans who survived the war to taunt the French by showing them the two fingers, in effect saying: "Ha, I can still shoot you with my two fingers, Frog!"

Today, the sign simply means: "F*ck off, you twat."
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 11:51   Link #3056
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
It's supposed to look cute. Need any other reason?
I thought it is a warning sign to guys, "We are cute, but if you offend us, we will cut that off."

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 11:52   Link #3057
Sumeragi
Banned

You mean you have something I can cut off? I thought you didn't have it.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 11:57   Link #3058
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
You mean you have something I can cut off? I thought you didn't have it.
I was referring to the, uh, great which synonym of that is R18?No matter, as a guy I do have that.

I actually heard that from a female friend of mine long time ago, when one of us boys asked that same question. She wasn't happy when another guy gave a flippant explanation of "Act cute mah".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-03-08, 16:12   Link #3059
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Yeah, I always thought the incessant peace sign thing was kinda goofy. I'm pretty sure I've heard them say 'peace' so I don't think it's v for victory. Not that I'm one to talk; I used to flash the peace sign myself in every photo when I was a little kid up to like age 10. I had no idea that Japanese girls did it, just one of those weird little kid things lol.

Interesting history about the reverse two finger sign, I'd seen it and recognized it as an insult, but never knew for sure.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 17:31   Link #3060
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Yeah, I always thought the incessant peace sign thing was kinda goofy. I'm pretty sure I've heard them say 'peace' so I don't think it's v for victory. Not that I'm one to talk; I used to flash the peace sign myself in every photo when I was a little kid up to like age 10. I had no idea that Japanese girls did it, just one of those weird little kid things lol.

Interesting history about the reverse two finger sign, I'd seen it and recognized it as an insult, but never knew for sure.
Actually, I still find it cute. Maybe it's because I am a lolicon that is why I find it so

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture