AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

View Poll Results: By what method did you get recruited in to fansubbing?
I started at the bottom and worked my way up with tutelage from my peers 53 39.26%
I started my own group and learned as I went along 41 30.37%
I joined a new group with one or two *experienced* fansubber who taught us how to do stuff 23 17.04%
I joined a new group and all of us were new and we worked it out as we went along 18 13.33%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-08-05, 12:04   Link #41
Cloud668
Nice Boat.
*Fansubber

Started a group out of nowhere with a few friends who worked on a square enix fansite with me, and received alot of criticism
Cloud668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-05, 15:39   Link #42
PlasticYakuza
Space Pirate

Send a message via AIM to PlasticYakuza Send a message via Yahoo to PlasticYakuza
Some friends of mine were starting out working on a series on their own and I ended up learning how to time just to help them out. Got tossed around the internet with them until ending up over at live-evil. Not really all that much to it.
PlasticYakuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-06, 01:06   Link #43
BimuEriku22

I started a group for no reason with 2 friends! XD
I got nowhere in 2006.
Then in 2007, I decided to try it out again with my friends.
Got 2 releases as Sene-Kah Subs.
Working on multiple projects in the renamed group KousenKarasu-Subs(Lead by me.)
BimuEriku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 02:49   Link #44
pichu
*Fansubber

well, i was dragged by someone in 2003, and he asked me to encode for one of his projects. I think it was Chrno Crusade (the group was later disband lol but I was already addicted to fansubbing ;_. Considering how convincing is he, I joined him since I knew encoding since the early 1995.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-11, 20:36   Link #45
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

I have actually "retired" from the translating/fansubbing part of the community. I worked with a group when VHS subbing was a popular way of anime groups exchanging anime. I worked with SAHA (Slow as Hell Anime) with Greg Azar and Ben Broady - not that anyone would remember their names anymore. SAHA was pretty big back in the day. I started off by helping them finish Jubei-chan and then worked with them for the completion of Excel Saga and Koutetsu Tenshi Kurumi.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-12, 15:28   Link #46
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
I worked with SAHA (Slow as Hell Anime) with Greg Azar and Ben Broady - not that anyone would remember their names anymore. SAHA was pretty big back in the day.
Not anyone? I still remember those guys. Sachi was also doing some of their own stuff, Kodocha was doing Kodomo no Omocha, Technogirls were doing lots of shoujo titles like Brother Dear Brother, Bruce and Karen Duffy did "Chou Kuse ni Narisou" and some others, etc. So don't say 'not anyone'.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-12, 16:51   Link #47
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Not anyone? I still remember those guys. Sachi was also doing some of their own stuff, Kodocha was doing Kodomo no Omocha, Technogirls were doing lots of shoujo titles like Brother Dear Brother, Bruce and Karen Duffy did "Chou Kuse ni Narisou" and some others, etc. So don't say 'not anyone'.
It is not that anyone 'does' not remember, it is just that it is rare to find someone who does. I appreciate there are those around, such as yourself, that was around to appreciate the VHS saga.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-29, 11:21   Link #48
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Was taught how to sub by local tapesubbers pre-digisub. Quit when digisubbing started taking off to... ah... leech... Started subbing again in 01 or 02.. can't remember. Always done freelancing as well as having a home group. 90% self taught except for the syncing stuff for tapesubbing. I mainly started fansubbing so I could get to watch stuff. May seem weird but back when I started it made since... trust me ;x
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 18:15   Link #49
Sinful
Weirdo in the Bush!!

I started my own group

I used to watch anime as a kid on tv. (1 movie a week) i had no internet and thats all that showed, if it showed! Then my mate decided that he would browse the net and see what cool stuff he could find when i convinced him after a year that he needed internet because i loved my little connection. 2 mins walk from my house but he had to have internet so we could talk lol

well that when he found Naruto!!! lol it all started from there. Next thing i know he has found Japanese lessons and we both started from there. The idea came from a media project i had done for school in which i made a short film and had to make another version with foot notes.

I think its best to start your own group because everything you need to know is out there, i mean alot of info is on this site. Also when its your own group i.e me and my mate. we found that we could take on lots of work and learn by experience. I dunno if its just me but when you sit down and sub then check then time then check...over and over again you start to do it by habbit. Another habbit is leaving all the nasty jobs i cant do to him...encoding mainly and finding raws.

well that my view. I would say im a pretty good subber, it also helps when your in your own group because we were constantly proof checking eachothers work. When its your own work its difficult for you to spot errors but when you have an arrogant egotistical spellchecker to help...you find that even 1 missed comma will end in you paying for lunch.....Oh the money i have wasted lol

Edit- I forgot to mention....it helps if your friends step dad already edits movies and what not....it helped us through our most difficult moment
"erm...help i dont know what button to press but i think its this button" "it cant be its that one" "Ok i know, Rock paper scissors" "yeh you do that while i go ask someone who has half a brain"

ah the good times ..... i still think rock paper scissors wouldve solved it all, But NO! smarty pants had to be right
Not one of my best moments ....trying to insert our end theme into an overlap stream. wouldve been nice to watch the anime and have a non stop end theme playing centre screen lol

Last edited by Sinful; 2007-09-14 at 18:25. Reason: forgot something
Sinful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 18:47   Link #50
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
I started fansubbing in 2001, did a sub of Tenchi Muyo GXP episode 1 under the group name "Dragonlord Anime" - it was just me. I was soon recruited into Anime-Works, and we worked together on GXP for a little while.

When Tenchi Muyo OVA3 hit Japan, I formed FoT, but had to pull in help from A-W, because I don't trust anyone except egelteek to time my stuff. He's fast and dependable, and an awesome dude. FoT has, since then, grown and shrunk a couple times, and it's mostly just me and one other, plus egel as always

In any case, I don't regret forming my own group, really...

As far as whether there's a trend now for people to make their own groups instead of joining established groups... I can see it, I suppose, but I still tend to nab subs from groups I am familiar with usually. I don't think the creating of lots of new groups is hurting anything, but it would be nice to see some bigger collaborations and coagulations like in the past. (Triad, anyone? :P )
Garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 14:03   Link #51
TaMz
ninj4 from the north

Send a message via MSN to TaMz
First I practiced a little with one of my friends and after that I offered myself to some groups from which one took me under it's wing and I worked for them for some time and learned new stuff and then I left them and created my own group which then died and then I offered my services to random people again and now I just sit on my lazy butt doing nothing.

So ya, umm.. kthxbye
TaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 01:58   Link #52
kevin13
Disabled By Request

I was hanging out in IRC one day talking to someone who asked if I'd like to help fansub.

I said I didn't know Japanese well enough, they said that didn't matter as I could time, he then explained how fansubbing works then hooked me up with a middle of the range group who do some more obscure stuff but had one or two experienced guys and I'm learning there- like they fix my mistakes and tell me what I'm doing wrong and that.

Hopefully when I'm better I'll be able to move up in the world, thats the plan.

Maybe I'll start my own group in a few years, I'm currently learning Japanese, so who knows.
kevin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 17:24   Link #53
Isako
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Isako
I joined a new group that was looking for staff, but at they same they had a couple of experienced people already there. It helped that I taught myself a bit about timing and tsing a couple years back, and that I was close friends to other fansubbers before I finally joined them. I think the later, more than anything, help me prepare for what to expect.

Because I forgot most of the ass stuff, and my timing skills have reduced quite a bit, I'm just a qcer now >.>
Isako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-18, 16:53   Link #54
pingu^
Mishi-Corp

I got recruited into Mishi-Corp because they needed editors, encoders, and QCers. I now QC and edit, and will probably do some backup encoding (since the encoder they have right now is very good, and is on more than i am).
pingu^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 13:02   Link #55
Zeus-san
King Zeus
*Fansubber

I started fansubbing last year when I start a part time jop at place that do (audio dub) for japanese animation , it's just like this , I learned fansubbing from the guys there (timing (Aegisub) Basic typesetting and Karaoking"to write the staff of the studio...etc) .
I didn't join any (really) fansub group till now , so I don't know if I can call myself a(Fansubber) :P
But I do what they usually do ^_~
Zeus-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 13:31   Link #56
cyth
Banned

I started fansubbing together with my cousin. One day we just decided to fansub something without really having any knowledge of the business. I handled the technical side of things and one of my IRC buddies helped me understand that left click sets the lead-in and right click sets the lead-out in SubStation Alpha. He also explained the "typesetting" process behind Adobe Premiere and encoding with VirtualDub and XviD.
Now that I think about it, I was actually able to put out a fansub completely on my own back then while I'm fairly hesitant to do that now since editing and encoding aren't my fields. The fansub was shit but, eh... it was fun while it lasted.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 17:04   Link #57
Ky_Kiske
Unleash the fury mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpsicat View Post
All in all, I think "I joined a new group and all of us were new and we worked it out as we went along" is the best fit for me. Three years after moving to the US, I wanted to use my Japanese more actively because it was getting rusty with disuse. A series of coincidences led me to agree with someone who knew about IRC/fansubbing that I should try translating as an exercise. It seemed like such a reasonable idea at the time... In any case, I had no idea fansubs and IRC even existed, so I was a total noob and needed someone to set me up with a group.

The first group I was introduced to was a relatively new group with some experienced people, but their translator had disappeared. I was completely on my own with regard to translating. There was also no real mentoring of any kind on the overall IRC & group organization stuff, as there was no staff cohesion whatsoever beyond some talk about gaming and capcom vs. something, which I couldn't relate to at all. I generally lurked and wondered what the hell I'd gotten myself into. I tend to not count this as a real fansubbing experience (well, aside from the drama).

The second group I joined was even newer and struggling to get itself off the ground, though we had a fair number of (semi-?)experienced people so it wasn't a totally "noob" group. We had no real idea how to do things--at least not how to do things well. We weren't very popular with the established crowd, and of course our releases weren't great. We had a lot of internal shaping up to do in order to stay operational as well as improve. There were no "senior" translators for guidance, either, but I now had staff I could actually talk to about how I might best format my scripts to make it easier for timers/editors etc., so I started fine-tuning what I could. It was discouraging/stressful but also strangely motivating that we were looked down upon by other groups. Some of us would discuss how other groups set up things and whether that'd improve things, etc. I'd like to think all those discussions made us a better team (though sadly, most of the people from that "era" are now gone...). Apparently, we're now considered acceptable (maybe even "old"/"dying" to some) and a lot of people don't remember how noob we were.

Given the above experience, I would personally find it too hypocritical to automatically denounce new groups for even trying or automatically assume that if a group sucks, it always will. I also think older groups tend to get somewhat complacent and can start depending on their previous reputation instead of maintaining that drive to improve or keep up (i.e. if a group is good at one point, it doesn't mean it will stay that way forever), but that's true of most organizations. It may start feeling more like a non-paying job than an enjoyable hobby once you start worrying too much about things like that. "Fansubbing: serious business", perhaps?

I agree. In the end, group dynamics figure significantly in a group's lifespan.

Sorry for the longish post.
run's lured me with the prospect of candy when i was a wee lad. i've been missing ever since...
Ky_Kiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 13:34   Link #58
kubus
learning~

I started fansubbing when D.Gray-man just came out. Not as a fansub group though, it was just by myself and for myself (I was just experimenting). I did the translation, timing, typesetting and encoding without having any experience with those, so it was pretty crappy XD.

Then months later, when Death Note came out, I started my own fansub group and did everything myself again with the exception of QC and encoding. I dropped the project at episode 25, and again a few months passed before I joined a Dutch fansub group who are doing One Piece. Now I'm translator and typesetter for them X3.
kubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 09:38   Link #59
theshadowtaker

I just want to subtitle something to help myself learn Japanese. Not really for anyone else but I have started subtitling some asian kung fu generation concerts.. Japanese and English, plus I traslate a load. Its a hobby really.
theshadowtaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 23:19   Link #60
Alister

I was watching a group's subs, and I liked everything they were doing except for their editing, which was seemingly non-existent. Shortly thereafter there was an opening for editor, so I sent in an application and voila, I was in.

At the start there was some "omg ur doing it wrong. english is lyke this not lyke dat" from other, more experienced members of the group, but it seemed like that quickly went away until I was in fact the most experienced editor. Thus, there hasn't been much "working my way up" - the group I'm in is still pretty close to the "bottom" of the fansubbing world.
I need to join a group that can help me work upwards. I'm decent, but I'm not as good an editor as those in some groups whose subs I watch purely for the editing, rather than for the story/the anime itself.
Alister is offline   Reply With Quote