AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 06
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 21 15.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 28 20.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 42 30.43%
7 out of 10 : Good... 24 17.39%
6 out of 10 : Average... 13 9.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 4 2.90%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 2.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 3 2.17%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-11, 21:30   Link #61
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
so, can someone tell me who was the cloaked person who kirito chased over the roofs?
I believe it was Kains.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 21:34   Link #62
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
I am shocked to learn that Asuna never adds Kirito into her friend lists. This must be a rare encounter that Asuna can met Kirito under the tree or she just have a superb stalking skills.

I guess this episode is where Asuna's stalking career started. LOL
This episode showed you don't need stalking skills if you're got someone on your friendlist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
serving no real purpose except for filler.
They're actually giving a LOT of very subtle hints that will be very important later. In a show, don't tell way. When things happen later they won't be new. For instance, we learned in an earlier episode how teleport crystals worked, and saw them again in this episode. So when the 'deaths' were explained with teleport crystals, no one had to explain their function. We're learning the rules of the world in SAO, and some of them are subtle.

Quote:
No mention of the fact that he might also solo because he still feels guilty over what happened to Sachi and the Black Cats, or at least a pained expression on Kirito's face? It's almost as if the Kirito of episode 6 exists in a different universe from the Kirito of episode 3.
Why, exactly, would Kiritio tell someone he's at least vaguely interested in, and has known since the beginning, that he murdered an entire guild full of people... randomly? That sounds like a pretty massive mood killer to me. Also, it's been quite a long time since then, at least six months?

Quote:
For example, in this episode we learn that married couples share all of their items when Asuna explains it to Kirito. Really, she is explaining it to the audience, because after over a year in-game, Kirito should be aware of this fact.
The LN version of Kirito knows this (the anime totally skips over why he knows how the system works). The Anime version had this discussion because they needed to basically eviscerate the detective bits to make it all fit. Same way they 'broke' the killer so fast. There wasn't time for him to be all smug and lie his way through it.

Quote:
where Silica is apparently unaware that Pina can be revived until Kirito explains it to her. It's really not believable that Silica, as a beast tamer, wouldn't be aware of this information
To be fair it's recently recieved information from a higher floor. Kirito knows because he's been there and cleared the floor, our beast tamer doesn't because it's several levels higher than she could ever think of going.

Last edited by Adigard; 2012-08-11 at 21:49.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 21:41   Link #63
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
This episode showed you don't need stalking skills if you're got someone on your friendlist!
Really?

Asuna checked Kirito whereabout. "So there you are"
3 minutes later
Asuna checked Kirito whereabout. "Oh dear, you are still levelling at this time..nice effort "
3 minutes later
Asuna checked Kirito whereabout. "Eh? Why is he at Cheesecake Inn? "
3 minutes later
Asuna checked Kirito whereabout. "Why is he still at cheesecake inn? "
and so on.

Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 21:44   Link #64
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Really?

3 minutes later
Asuna checked Kirito whereabout. "Oh dear, you are still levelling at this time..nice effort "
3 minutes later
3 minutes later
and so on.

Kirito: Now you know guys why I'm still a solo player though I like Asuna?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 21:44   Link #65
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
Really?

3 minutes later
3 minutes later
3 minutes later
and so on.

We got our SAO Yuno version but without killing intent.

I really wish there was a bit more scene from the red guild
Old 2012-08-11, 21:47   Link #66
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I kind of disagree with your take on Grimlock and the mystery on a very fundamental level. You can say none of the characters "matter in the slightest" - but they were still the bulk of the last two episodes. Doesn't the entertainment value of those episodes and the quality of the characters written matter too, as well as the "point" of the arc? This is an entertainment, after all - and the journey matters just as much as the destination.
You're quite right; when I said they "didn't matter in the slightest", that was hyperbole on my part. Of course they do matter. For my part, I was reasonably entertained by that part of the story... but I really felt that what was being conveyed "between the lines" was pretty clearly more important than the lines themselves: particularly points about how the game system works and the groundwork of Kirito and Asuna's friendship. I guess I can go with the explanation Trajan had above about it being "fact-building": in this episode, the mystery seemed to progress only in such a way that it served the information they wanted to convey about these other two storytelling aspects. It wasn't really the story of the Golden Apple guild or the death of Griselda, but it was the story of Kirito and Asuna told through the lens/context of this particular turn of events.

In the end, I suppose it's the same as the previous episodes in that regard; most of the characters introduced in these short stories matter less for themselves, but more for what they contribute to our knowledge of the mechanics, and how they contribute to the backstory of our main protagonists.

To your points that criticized Grimlock's behaviour (or at least the way it was portrayed), I agree that it wasn't very convincing for me. The only rationale (that I saw someone mention previously as well) is that it was pretty clear that he had already lost it anyway. I think it would indeed have been more convincing if they didn't show him collapse after Asuna's statement, but rather let that just weigh on us and the other characters. In the end, they tried to show as if he regretted his actions based on that one statement alone, but I think he could have just stayed crazy to better effect.

Oh: another thing this episode introduced (I think) was the paralysis status effect. I assume that, as the name implies, it makes you unable to move. Hopefully you can still use a potion or something to clear the effect, otherwise solo players like Kirito had better get immunity.
Old 2012-08-11, 21:55   Link #67
zaz122

Quote:
Another example of this is from episode 4, where Silica is apparently unaware that Pina can be revived until Kirito explains it to her. It's really not believable that Silica, as a beast tamer, wouldn't be aware of this information, but it was required for the story. Whether the pet revival flower ever matters again remains to be seen.
Well, to be fair, SAO is a very new MMO and the beta test only showed the earliest floors at most. No information is available from anywhere except from the front liners(who don't really interact with the lower levels), and even then with the conditions needed for the flower to show up and how rare "beast tamers" are in SAO, I am actually more surprised that Kirito took the time to learn about the flower, guy must really enjoy just wondering the fields and paying for whatever information that catches his fancy.

OT: I found the episode very good. The studio adapted the arc while cutting out the spoiler-y event with a certain character. I would have liked it if they added a bit more Laughing coffin screen time and cut out the Griselda ghost scene altogether, but that's just my preference.
zaz122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 21:59   Link #68
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Oh: another thing this episode introduced (I think) was the paralysis status effect. I assume that, as the name implies, it makes you unable to move. Hopefully you can still use a potion or something to clear the effect, otherwise solo players like Kirito had better get immunity.
This arc introduced a lot of things.

Duels, shared storage, Asuna's friendlist / some of her friend's / tracking someone on your friendslist, the system invulnerable message and player's being invulnerable in towns, marriage, paid for rooms being system locked, items having durability and breaking when that durability expires after time. Also the fact that more serious and powerful PK guilds exist. Whether ANY of these matter long term... well... will have to be found along the way.

LN Information on Paralysis status/anti-status effects, NOT a spoiler.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Adigard; 2012-08-11 at 22:12.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 22:10   Link #69
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:

I'm going to put this next part behind spoiler tags in case people really want to avoid any speculation about future events. I've never read the novels, but there are a few bits and pieces I've unfortunately picked up from being a mod. So I don't know if my opinion below is partly because I'm tainted or not... but I'm really starting to think that it wouldn't matter.

Spoiler for Piecing together hints from Episode 6 (see explanation above):
As an anime-only viewer with similar situation as you ( having picked up few bits and pieces here and there mainly due getting spoiled ),

Spoiler for Reply to relentlessflame:

Last edited by Whitemoon648; 2012-08-11 at 23:33.
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 22:12   Link #70
Dark Wing

I know people are saying the reason for Grimlock killing his wife was stupid but to my knowledge people do kill other people in real life for many stupid reasons and this of course is only one example of that. Grimlock wanted more control over his wife but lost it when he realized she wasn't the person he married anymore.
Old 2012-08-11, 22:13   Link #71
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
And for people saying the reason for Grimlock killing his wife was stupid please understand that people do kill other people in real like for many stupid reasons and this of course is only one example of that.
"People do crazy things when they're in love..... killing is no exception.."
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 22:23   Link #72
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Well...told you... Those one hit kills were too convenient.
I'm a bit confused about whether griselda is alive or dead now though lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDF2050 View Post
We got our SAO Yuno version but without killing intent.

I really wish there was a bit more scene from the red guild

Well... She nearly threw a fork at him... who knows...

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 22:43   Link #73
Sphire

Quote:
Spoiler for Reply to relentlessflame:
Old 2012-08-11, 23:06   Link #74
Peanutbutter

After reading the section of the LN before this episode, I just wanna say one thing.

Oh, the worries and insecurities of Japanese men.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 23:09   Link #75
blewin

as a novel reader, I'm impatient for the main plot line to proceed, but as an anime viewer, I find the details of the system of SAO revealed in each episode useful and interesting. Surely these details are making the world more real and will make the main plot more exciting to watch. But it'd have been nice if there's more action!

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 23:09   Link #76
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Grimlock killing his wife because she stopped being a Yamato Nadeshiko was lame.
Guys who kill their wives generally don't have good reasons. I've seen enough true crime shows over the years to find "she didn't act the way I wanted," to be a sadly believable motive for murder -- and it doesn't matter whether you're in Japan or the USA.

But to understand what the story is about, you have to look at it from Griselda's perspective -- she was stuck in a stultifying life with an oppressive husband who expected her to be a subservient housewife. Her only escape was into the RPGs her husband let her play, where she could become an assertive warrior without drawing his ire. But then one day the game becomes real and her husband expects her to give up the role and revert back to her "real" self while she wants to continue "playing" the role of Griselda the Warrior.

At this point in the series I don't think it's a spoiler to say that, "What does it mean that SAO is a role-playing game?" is a major theme of the series. We've seen examples with the way Kirito took on the mantle of Beater, and how Sachi could never fully assume the role of a fighter, and how Asuna's changed since episode 2, and now Griselda refusing to go back to being a Yamato Nadeshiko.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 23:14   Link #77
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
I don't disagree with you here. But the one thing that was absolutely clear to me in this entire arc was that this was never really a mystery story at all, and neither Grimlock or any of the other guild members mattered in the slightest. The only point in the whole thing was that Asuna made "you didn't really love her, you just wanted to own her" statement, leading into the conversation that followed. And that whole thing sort of makes me mad for reasons that are totally not the anime's fault at all, but have more to do with this forum and the desire to try to keep a sense of surprise.

I'm going to put this next part behind spoiler tags in case people really want to avoid any speculation about future events. I've never read the novels, but there are a few bits and pieces I've unfortunately picked up from being a mod. So I don't know if my opinion below is partly because I'm tainted or not... but I'm really starting to think that it wouldn't matter.

Sounds like a bad case of Late-Arrival Spoilers.

PS: It's not our fault it sounds like a spoiler. It's theirs, mostly bacause there's too much info to say that it still is considered one.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 23:20   Link #78
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihan View Post
First thing first, please tell me it was my sub that was just trolling me:
Images
Kirito answer on who the murderer is
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Was a good episode, better than last week. The reason for killing was unexpected and the way how those two players faked their death by stabbing themselves to destroy their armor was a great idea.
What Kirito said in that scene was:
"十中八九グリムロックじゃない"
Literally: 8 or 9 cases out of 10, it's not Grimlock
A possible TL: In all probability, it's not Grimlock
They were discussing who the robed figure was, remember? And Kirito deduced that it was Kains in the next line. So yeah, either it was a troll sub or the TL was subbing while drunk

As what some had mentioned, this episode introduces a few more aspects and mechanics of the game like marriage possibility, a PK guild, etc. But more importantly, it develops the relationship between the two mains (anyone can tell that they are the leads even before the anime aired right? ). This is like a turning point (or should I say, milestone), and now they have 'friended' each other in the game. It's connecting the dots so that you won't get a 'large' transitional skip, imo.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 23:22   Link #79
n120cky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
Famous words from Kirito:
"I'm willing to bet my virginity".
Too bad is not words from Asuna.
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 23:30   Link #80
NoemiChan
Banned