AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2007-02-05, 00:36   Link #41
DrewGSR

Pride FC, UFC, and K1 are fun to watch. Always exciting to see a striker KO his opponent. Though I prefer Pride over UFC but i still watch both, saw last nights UFC 67, kinda a weak bout imo though.
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-05, 23:16   Link #42
Ewok

Send a message via MSN to Ewok
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKumdo View Post
You know what's great about kendo? We don't brag about it being the strongest, most bestest (yea I know, it's a joke) fighting style in the world. Worse than those, "my kungfu is betta than yo's" type? The "If it's so great, why isn't he/she in the UFC?" type.

New Zealand should have a kendo dojo. I'm pretty sure they competed at the world championships in december.
Kendo is one martial art where you can "feel" the kiai - its a very weird and interesting feeling.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-06, 20:40   Link #43
u43368
Disabled By Request

I used to do some basic karate for 2-3 years, it was ok, but I really didn't care about it all that much. Now I'm interested in doing swordfighting for fun or exercise.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-06, 21:06   Link #44
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
Kendo is one martial art where you can "feel" the kiai - its a very weird and interesting feeling.
Try tai chi push hands -- it's also a unique feeling.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 01:39   Link #45
konkoruRules
konkoru fan boy

anyone here do omg yong doe it is a bunch of diffent Martial Arts like judo and some other stuff
konkoruRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 14:52   Link #46
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
Where's the love for judo? *sniff* I've been doing judo for four years now and I love it! Also started TKD and Capoeira through my school. I'm really starting to enjoy capoeira for the high energy and the music!
harukamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 16:43   Link #47
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Man there is no Kendo in Las Vegas it ticks me off. That something I've been wanting to do for years. I do have a lot of shotokan under my belt though and some taekwondo. Its been a while...I need to get off my lazy ass and hit the mat...you can find some cute girls that are into combat sometimes.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 02:52   Link #48
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

tkd but only to brown, tore my acl, mcl and achilles in a motorbike accident shortly after promotion. It's a tough thing to train in TKD if you have no confidence in your legs keeping you upright. So I've decided to take up something a little bit more upper torso oriented. I've taken up arnis (Filipino stick fighting) and I tell you what the amount of damage you take to your arms and hands in sparring is brutal. But it's good because there's a strong focus on unarmed combat particularly grappling.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 12:24   Link #49
Gemstar
Banned

I practice Boxing.
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 18:16   Link #50
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

i practice wrestling (I guess that falls under grappling) I mean it not a fight sport but It dose come in handy in a real fight. Most people dont expect me to use a firemans toss on them in a street fight (>.<)
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-25, 18:34   Link #51
Leedizzle

There is a large amount of McDojos that teach martial arts which are no better then daycare centers unfortunately in America.

If you actually want to take martial arts for self defense purposes, the best is Boxing, for striking, and Wrestling, particularly shooting and holds.

As for Tae Kwon Do, it is probably not the most effective form of self defense but some schools teach Hapkido which is kind of like Judo in that it teaches you to take down your opponent which is effective but the situation that arises where you can use certain forms is limited and many unnecessary movements are made.
Leedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 09:19   Link #52
tkdtiger

I've done TKD, Hapkido, some Aikido, BJJ, Judo, Tai Chi, some MT, and Hungar. My friend also taught me some techniques from Hwarangdo and a few wrestiling techniques and I learned some boxing. Although I'm out of shape now since I haven't been training.

@Leedizzle, I actually found that depends on what techniques you put emphasis on in TKD. If you just put emphasis on the high kicks than I agree, but what people tend to forget is that TKD does teach punches, elbows and knees. It also has many techniques to the legs, but they're not utilized as much as lets say Taekkyon and Muay. It's just people don't train those areas of TKD (well at least most; there was one guy I knew that had some devastating punches, elbows and knees, but that's an exception)
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 12:40   Link #53
Gemstar
Banned

The style Bruce Lee uses , what is the difference between his style and other styles such as Boxing, TKD and Jujitsu? And in Martial Arts what is the best muscle you should develop or is the most important.
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 17:43   Link #54
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar View Post
The style Bruce Lee uses , what is the difference between his style and other styles such as Boxing, TKD and Jujitsu? And in Martial Arts what is the best muscle you should develop or is the most important.
- The style Bruce Lee orignally learned, Wing Chun, is best known for its vertical, straight-line punch. It's a southern style of kung fu, meaning it places its emphasis on hand strikes as opposed to kicks, and is a very short-ranged standing combat form. It has been described as learning how to fight in a phone booth.

- The style Lee developed, Jun Fan Kung Fu, is Wing Chun mixed with a bit of boxing and fencing stances. At the time of his death, he was starting to work in a bit of wrestling.

- The philosophy Lee developed, JKD, is the idea that you mix and match various martial arts. It's a good idea, however, the means by which Lee drew this conclusion is poor, and his following idea to abandon all traditional martial systems is likewise ultimately flawed.

- The differences between boxing, TKD, and JJ?
Boxing focuses exclusively on hands and attacks/defenses for the upper body. Their stances and fighting style reflect this, as they may not instinctively pay attention to guarding their legs and/or crotchal area.

Taekwondo, a derivative of karate, in most but not all competitions focuses on points and high kicks. Reportedly, very good at teaching you how to intuitively deduce your opponent's attack range.

Two common forms of jujutsu. The original, Japanese Ju-jutsu, is more of a comprehensive system incorporating a few strikes, standing grappling, ground grappling, and throws.
The more commonly-seen-in-mixed-martial-arts version, Brazilian/Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, focuses almost exclusively on ground grappling.

There is no "best muscle" to train. There is also no secret method of training that will magically make you superb.

Wait -- I take that back. Possibly the most important, universal muscle to train is the heart for conditioning so you don't gas out quickly.
Old 2007-08-26, 21:22   Link #55
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
- The style Bruce Lee orignally learned, Wing Chun, is best known for its vertical, straight-line punch. It's a southern style of kung fu, meaning it places its emphasis on hand strikes as opposed to kicks, and is a very short-ranged standing combat form. It has been described as learning how to fight in a phone booth.

- The style Lee developed, Jun Fan Kung Fu, is Wing Chun mixed with a bit of boxing and fencing stances. At the time of his death, he was starting to work in a bit of wrestling.

- The philosophy Lee developed, JKD, is the idea that you mix and match various martial arts. It's a good idea, however, the means by which Lee drew this conclusion is poor, and his following idea to abandon all traditional martial systems is likewise ultimately flawed.

- The differences between boxing, TKD, and JJ?
Boxing focuses exclusively on hands and attacks/defenses for the upper body. Their stances and fighting style reflect this, as they may not instinctively pay attention to guarding their legs and/or crotchal area.

Taekwondo, a derivative of karate, in most but not all competitions focuses on points and high kicks. Reportedly, very good at teaching you how to intuitively deduce your opponent's attack range.

Two common forms of jujutsu. The original, Japanese Ju-jutsu, is more of a comprehensive system incorporating a few strikes, standing grappling, ground grappling, and throws.
The more commonly-seen-in-mixed-martial-arts version, Brazilian/Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, focuses almost exclusively on ground grappling.

There is no "best muscle" to train. There is also no secret method of training that will magically make you superb.

Wait -- I take that back. Possibly the most important, universal muscle to train is the heart for conditioning so you don't gas out quickly.
Well I think Bruce Lee believed that one should make the martial art a part of them and not the martial art the man. This means he doesn't mind the traditional ideas that these martial arts bring, but one shouldn't be bound by them. It wasn't just about mixing and matching. It is studying what works and doesn't work for the individual. For example a short person is not going to fight a large person the same way he would a person of equal height.
Old 2007-08-27, 02:24   Link #56
aolas
King Of The Night Sky
*Graphic Designer

Right now i practice aikido. but long time ago i practiced taekwondoo & my country martial art "pencak silat"
aolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 09:47   Link #57
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
Well I think Bruce Lee believed that one should make the martial art a part of them and not the martial art the man. This means he doesn't mind the traditional ideas that these martial arts bring, but one shouldn't be bound by them. It wasn't just about mixing and matching. It is studying what works and doesn't work for the individual. For example a short person is not going to fight a large person the same way he would a person of equal height.
Lee often referred to traditional martial arts as a "classical mess."

After a highly disputed fight with Wong Jack-Man in San Francisco (Lee and his wife said that he won, Wong said that he won, other eyewitnesses said that they don't remember), Lee decided that his Wing Chun wasn't good enough on its own. (It is worth mentioning at this point that Lee's knowledge of Wing Chun was woefully incomplete -- he only learned one-third of the system -- yet chose to blame the style rather than himself.)

Lee developed a high disdain for traditional martial arts after this fight. And his philosophy of "take what works, discard what doesn't" will work for him, but would not work for everyone when looking at future generations of martial artists.

Let's say that a fighter learns a particular style, and finds that he doesn't like joint locks; he'd rather stick to punching/kicking. So he doesn't use them, doesn't train them, and completely abandons them. But what of the fighter's students? They will be denied the knowledge of previous generations, denied the opportunity to learn what does and does not work for them personally.
Old 2007-08-27, 11:00   Link #58
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
Lee often referred to traditional martial arts as a "classical mess."

After a highly disputed fight with Wong Jack-Man in San Francisco (Lee and his wife said that he won, Wong said that he won, other eyewitnesses said that they don't remember), Lee decided that his Wing Chun wasn't good enough on its own. (It is worth mentioning at this point that Lee's knowledge of Wing Chun was woefully incomplete -- he only learned one-third of the system -- yet chose to blame the style rather than himself.)

Lee developed a high disdain for traditional martial arts after this fight. And his philosophy of "take what works, discard what doesn't" will work for him, but would not work for everyone when looking at future generations of martial artists.

Let's say that a fighter learns a particular style, and finds that he doesn't like joint locks; he'd rather stick to punching/kicking. So he doesn't use them, doesn't train them, and completely abandons them. But what of the fighter's students? They will be denied the knowledge of previous generations, denied the opportunity to learn what does and does not work for them personally.
I agree that some of his concepts are flawed. For example Bruce Lee didn't think grappling was that important in most situation. He's not the only person that thought this Mas Oyama also said something similar. I disagree though in your assessment that he was telling people to completely abandon a technique that he doesn't like. Bruce Lee emphasis was on what works and doesn't work, yet also maintaining a balance. For example, I already mentioned Bruce Lee didn't like grappling and he thought that in most situation ground fighting wasn't a good idea, but because you need it in some situation Bruce Lee trained in those areas as well. As for Wong vs. Lee fight I personally think it was a tie (Which was Bruce Lee's original assessment of the fight, which he later changed). Again it's not whether you like a technique or not. It's whether it works for you or not. You can do this even with traditional martial arts. For example a person who is physically weak, but fast training in grappling is going to avoid using techniques that requires alot of strength and use techniques that requires speed and they can do this within the traditional system.

As for how much of Wing Chun did Bruce Lee learn. That seems to depend on the source. Some claim he learned the first 2 forms and began learning some of the third form, while others claimed he didn't learn any of the third form. Wong Shun Leung has said that Bruce Lee did manage to learn some of the advance techniques on his own...well he claimed he discretely taught some techniques wrong so Bruce Lee could figure it out on his own.
Old 2007-08-27, 11:02   Link #59
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
I tried Ju Jitsu for a while.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 20:42   Link #60
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

having seen a few fights in my time (this is what you get when your local pub is a dive). I have to say in IMO grapple based Martial Arts are more realistic in terms of real world use. Real world fights go one of two ways, one maybe two strikes thrown or it hits the deck and becomes a wrestle. Very rarely outside of organised competition have I seen a traditional style fight with people squaring up.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote