AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-11-28, 10:06   Link #381
karumofin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiran86 View Post
I would imagine 26. 26 seems to be the standard for this kind of show.
someone in this thread said its jsut 20 i believe.
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-29, 22:11   Link #382
NickelXenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Anyone notice some striking resemblance between Michiko's somewhat gayish friend (sorry, forgot the name) and Spike? It's all in the hair, man...

And worse then the sub foul-up with the Favela-city thing, was episode 4's written portuguese: whatever "do Pepê Lima". Well, she was a girl, right? Should have been "da", then. Still pretty funny, tho.

And the cat in episode 1 should have been Blanca and not Blanco, right? It had a pink ribbon, so it was a girl cat wasn't it?
NickelXenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 03:19   Link #383
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelXenon View Post
And the cat in episode 1 should have been Blanca and not Blanco, right? It had a pink ribbon, so it was a girl cat wasn't it?
Notice that as well. Also it was rather odd or dumb? that she said that blanco meant shiro (Japanese for white) considering that their in Brazil that line doesn't make sense. Think about it for a sec and you'll see it was rather odd to say, if the show took place in the U.S. and they were american saying that "White means Shiro" that would be just as dumb, except that it was worse with the line "blanco means Shiro" because they also got the gender name wrong for the cat.

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2008-11-30 at 03:43.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 07:21   Link #384
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Except that "Blanco" is not a portuguese word, but a spanish one (in portuguese, white is branco - I know, one letter, but still)... so the explanation actually makes some kind of sense. It's also a possibility on why a female cat was named with a masculine name, since the owner might not know it's wrong. Or the production team simply fouled up. Or the cat was, in fact, male. I mean, I have seen male pets adorned with ribbons around...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 08:41   Link #385
ZODDGUTS

Ah it seems Branco is used in Portuguese language both for Portugal and in Brazil. Heh not that much of a difference between Branco and blanco so I don't think the whole explanation was needed. Seems to me the production team just mess up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branco
Old 2008-11-30, 09:08   Link #386
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Another possibility is that japanese-speaking people usually can't differentiate the "L" from the "R" when speaking, so...

Old 2008-11-30, 12:33   Link #387
NickelXenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Another possibility is that japanese-speaking people usually can't differentiate the "L" from the "R" when speaking, so...
That's what I was going to say. But I just kept laughing when they called the cat a masculine name while it was wearing a pink ribbon.
Old 2008-11-30, 12:50   Link #388
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Exactly, that's another translation blunder.

Although I don't claim to be a master of Portuguese, I can somewhat understand it, but all in all they've been pretty faithful to it (I dunno about the bull-fighting though).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 13:08   Link #389
NickelXenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Exactly, that's another translation blunder.

Although I don't claim to be a master of Portuguese, I can somewhat understand it, but all in all they've been pretty faithful to it (I dunno about the bull-fighting though).
I've never been to Brazil, so can anyone tell us if they really do bull-fighting there? I speak Spanish so I can understand most of the Portugese in the anime.
Old 2008-11-30, 13:32   Link #390
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

No, we don't have bull-fighting like the one shown in the anime here. It was a funny scene, tho.

Old 2008-12-08, 12:20   Link #391
Movskian
Hmm.

Episode 7 impressions.

Spoiler for episode 7:

Something funny from episode 5.

Code:
... here, I'm going on with life.
Well, in the name of our years-old friendship,
Take care of that brat you see there.
Her name is Hacchin.
She's just like you see her,
tiny, disheveled, silly and honest.
To make things worse, she has a short fuse.
Sometimes she'll burn water with her belly button.
She eats anything, if you let her, she'll eat even trash.
She's left-handed just as she's right-handed.
I had to pause for a couple of minutes after reading this.

(Actually, it's written in the masculine and you can see a different name slashed over and replaced with "Hacchin", but it's funny regardless. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebee View Post
What genre of music would you guys call the opening song?

I want to say it reminds me of some lounge or jazz from the 60's.. at least in terms of the vocals. But is there a more specific name for this style?

Here are some other songs with similar sounding vocals. 1 2 3 4
I can't help about defining a style either... I asked a friend who's better than me at music, and he just said things like "this song sounds like a xxx, with elements of yyy, and this other is different".

As for the vocals, I believe they're prominent in bossa nova and MPB. Note that, today, MPB is more like an umbrella term for music that "sounds Brazilian" in a certain way—the comment about a "certain aesthetic quality" at the end of that Wikipedia article is quite appropriate.

BTW, those four songs were great to hear, thanks for posting them.
Movskian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 20:30   Link #392
karumofin

now episode 7 was some rgeat stuff. after my disapointment with the previous two parter this episode was truly outstanding again. As far as I'm concerned they may as well skip the mainplot, because the standalone episodes have all worked far better then the important ones (1, 5, 6).
Old 2008-12-09, 00:37   Link #393
Oxtail

Grrr. I hate seeing Michiko as some idiot bimbo who gets played by some jerk with a couple of corny lines. It really lowers my opinion of her.
Oxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 01:04   Link #394
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
Grrr. I hate seeing Michiko as some idiot bimbo who gets played by some jerk with a couple of corny lines. It really lowers my opinion of her.
Pretty much. It was lame seeing her like that, glad hatchin said fuck this and left though she was saved later. Anyways didn't like this episode because of how Michiko acted, so easily played by a player.
Old 2008-12-09, 05:53   Link #395
karumofin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Pretty much. It was lame seeing her like that, glad hatchin said fuck this and left though she was saved later. Anyways didn't like this episode because of how Michiko acted, so easily played by a player.
i think the series has made it clear by now, michiko is no superhero. shes naive, shorttempered, irresponsible. Hatchin is really the smarter of the two, but also too young to make use of it herself.

The point of the episode? Well thats a bit hard to say, but in the end Michiko is shown realizing how stupid she has been (even before she fidns out about Hatchins accident), later we see her unconscious completely drunk lying next to a recovering Hatchin, so yeah, I think its meant to say she learned her lesson. Overall however I think the episode told us more about Michikos relation towards Hiroshi.
Its very interesting how such trivial resolutions are never shown but only hinted a the end of some episodes, a style I could get used to. We could have spent minutes watching Hatchin get rescued and how Michiko had her breakdown about how she messed up, instead its all just hinted very subtly, I like that a lot.
Old 2008-12-10, 17:08   Link #396
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

odd I think 8 and 9 aired today.
karinvampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 18:47   Link #397
Oxtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by karumofin View Post
The point of the episode? Well thats a bit hard to say, but in the end Michiko is shown realizing how stupid she has been (even before she fidns out about Hatchins accident),

She only realizes it after the hairdresser basically bitch-slaps her and tells her to stay away from her man because she's just another bimbo being played.

The thing I hate about that episode is not that Michiko was weak and useless, it's that it trivialized the whole point of the series. She was about to ditch her quest to find Hiroshi(and isn't Hatchin only there to help find Hiroshi?) to hook up with a guy because of a couple of cheesy lines. It makes the whole premise of the series seem kinda inconsequential.

It would be like if halfway to Mordor, Frodo decided to trade the 1-ring for a bag of dried corn.

Or if Fuu in Samurai Champloo gave up looking for the Sunflower Samurai so she could have an affair with a cute married doctor in Nagoya.

I really really hope that's the last we see of pathetic Michiko.
Old 2008-12-10, 22:06   Link #398
7Th
Mixtape

Episode 7 Michiko was pretty much the Michoko we always knew. She was always childish, naive, selfish and without a clue of what to do with Hatchin. She is not a super-woman with resolve of steel; she is a strong woman that despite everything never grew up. Bruno was used to taking advantage of girls like her.

Michiko is easily swayed, and her temptation was very realistic and well-delivered.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 22:23   Link #399
v1cious

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinvampire View Post
odd I think 8 and 9 aired today.
yeah they did. 8 is the best episode so far.
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 19:05   Link #400
Oxtail

Hmm. I wonder where the plot is going to go from here. I never realized the potential of Hatchin as a reverse trap before. Lol.