AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 43 37.72%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 31.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 18.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.63%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.88%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.88%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.63%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-24, 13:07   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Fullmetal Alchemist (1st Series) - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire 51 episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design

• How did the anime compare with the manga?
  • Whether there should be more footage (DVD only) that you think it might be worthy.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.
And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Adaptation from Manga: 1-10
Editing: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.
Old 2008-05-25, 13:32   Link #2
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Even if some people disagree with the way it ended... wonderfully light on fanservice, engaging without being pretentious, wonderfully acted in both languages, fantastic animation and visuals, a stirring soundtrack, and a great plot all the way through. Fullmetal Alchemist is one for the history books - this is how you do animation, and I hope that BONES and other studios remember going forward what made this series so great.
Old 2008-06-01, 16:41   Link #3
tommetass

I thought it was a superb show.
I haven't read the manga, and I'm actually glad cause then I think I wouldn't like the show that much.

The characters were great and well developed..

The animation was good..

The story was just amazingly exciting..

The music is the best music I've heard from any anime.. ever..

All in all a great, great show!

This and HunterXHunter kicks ass!
Old 2008-07-22, 21:15   Link #4
geovanny1991

Characters were well developed and not paper thin. Animation wasn't the best, but it did its purpose and most certainly didn't suck. Story line got a bit weird at times, but the overall feel was great. Music again wasn't the best, but it was good. It wasn't the 'best' in any one category I think. However I do think it was the best in not compromising in any category and thats what made it well. The only flaw I see in it is that it ended so quickly when it could of probably gone a bit farther. Should of given a chance for a sequel series you know ?
Old 2008-07-23, 14:14   Link #5
Amray

"Fullmetal Alchemist" was an anime that suited my preferences a lot. Therefore I gave it 10/10.

It was a really happy, funny anime, yet it was also a really dark thriller that was sometimes really upsetting and deppresing. The story was awesome and some of the scenes regarding the main storyline were epic and just plain amazing. Not to mention it had a mesmirising OST. I loved the characters and also loved the story. The setting of the anime is good too, like olden day Europe. I also liked the ending to both the series and the movie.
Old 2009-01-07, 08:28   Link #6
Mugsy
{Anime Mafia}

Send a message via AIM to Mugsy
My thoughts on FMA is that it was a very impressive and touching searies, especially early on with the "Mother" episode and whatnot. I voted this series as a 9 out of a 10 and plan on rewatching it a second time before the new series comes out, I have yet to see the movie, however I plan on seeing it shortly.

I love the voices in the series, Al's voice is just so innocent and he is a very compassionate and giving person, definatly my favorite innthe series. Hopefully FMA2 will be as good as the original, and hopefully CN picks it up for [adult swim]......
Old 2009-01-24, 10:04   Link #7
TheCaptain

I have only been a fan of anime for a few months now, and FMA has been the series with the most impact on me, it's amazing! I love the characters, the dubbed voice overs, the action and the story. There has been some seriously sad episodes (Mother) and some shocking episodes like when Mr. Tucker did what he did to his daughter and wife, my jaw hit the ground. All in all I voted this series a 9 out of 10, it is amazing and I am not even 100% done yet with it.

PS: I also agree with those who found Al's voice to be very giving and innocent, he was a well thought out character and an ancor in this series, kudos.
Old 2009-01-25, 05:50   Link #8
Charred Knight

8/10 it wasn't as good as the manga, but considering that I give the manga a 10 that's kind of hard. The battles where nice, the plot was creative, and the plot holes (which are usually minor) only show up if you read the manga.

Considering that the staff was working with a first half that was never meant to setup the second half its excellent, Most anime can't go three episodes without screwing everything up when it stops following the manga, but the anime held up pretty well. I was dissapointed by Dante, but Lust is one of the most well developed anime characters I have ever seen, and brilliantly done.

What else can you say about the animation quality other than fantastic, I was shocked to find out that this was Studio C's first anime. I can't wait to see what Stuido D can accomplish with the remake.

The battle between Roy and King Bradley was especially exciting, and had me on the edge of my seat.
Old 2009-02-15, 19:40   Link #9
Princess Peach
Peach girl

I would give it 8/10 it's awesome and funny XD
Old 2009-02-17, 21:29   Link #10
Megacrash Gr
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
The best anime I've seen...seriously, Perfect 10.
Old 2009-03-20, 01:15   Link #11
solomon

Best shonen EVAR....well at least I think so.

Not quite a masterpiece but not thaaaaaaaaaaaatttt far off. Excellent Fantasy adventure.

Animation ranged from fair to excellent, Character design adaption was great, Art direction very good as well.

Michiru Oshima's music was wonderfully orchestrated.

Both US and Japan's performances were roundly entertaining.

I remember reading in a Newtype interview that the network asked the staff to create their own ending. If you notice, even in the first half the show is only SOMEWHAT similar to the manga storyline so they most likely created it with a different aim in mind. In otherwords, taking the basic components breaking them down and reassembling them in a distinct way.

In that way you could say Director Mizushima and Writer Aikawa ALCHEMIZED Aikawa's manga.

Looking at it that way, the reinterpretation was roundly excellent. Some of the early episodic stories were a little meh, but the follow through later on MORE than makes up for it. For a mainstream show it got gutsy with the heavy themes but managed to be relevant WITHOUT BEING PRETENTIOUS (I can think of certain shows with such problems).

Strong reinterpration of an excellent manga, just for being (very) creatively successful with a well known and excellent basic source material gets it 3.5 stars.

Add in the great visuals and acoustics and it gets a weak 4 stars from me (strong 4 stars is perfect). Or better yet say 9/10.
Old 2009-04-13, 16:46   Link #12
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

it was an excellent show. though the ending didn't quite do it for me. the movie i hear is a direct continuation, so i'll watch that next. the characters were excellently developed and the story was engaging, though once again, i felt the last episodes (maybe the last two or so) didn't quite match the rest of the series. i know the anime ending doesn't follow the manga, so i'll probably look into that too see what's different about it
Old 2009-04-15, 11:55   Link #13
Code Geass
Princess of Geass

Fullmetal Alchemist has always been ONE OF my most favorite series ever. The storyline is very moving, the characters are great (many are quite attractive), and the morals make sense. It even reaches the point of a human relationship with God and tests familyhood. The series itself was (and still is) a genius idea and is, in my opinion at least, an instant classic from the very first episode all the way to the last. Even though I wasn't too thrilled with the ending, I still gave it a perfect ten because of how it has held my interest for a few years now, even with all the other anime series I've watched.
Old 2009-04-17, 01:40   Link #14
molitar

Well after watching the first episode.. I don't even see why this one needed to be remade.. when I heard Fullmetal Alchemist two I was hoping to see it where the original left off.. alot of good anime out their that I didn't get the impression I missed anything from the first watching of it. I also was not impressed with the cheesy off the wall expressions and humor.. the first one too me was way better.. it kept a more darker feel to it.. this one was too cartony for my taste.. the original to me was better.
Old 2009-04-17, 16:38   Link #15
karumofin

wow, so i decided to rewacth this series and skipped a couple of eps here and there to do it quickly and i was blown away by how... horrible this was...
The writing is truly hidious, i knew i hated the latter half, but the first half isnt so strong to begin with either. theres some very few moments that shine in this one, but mostly the story is quite a mess. only thing that i found superior to the new series was the soundtrack. im looking forward to the new series now and i hope when it follows to that manga more closely the story will actually pay off.
Old 2009-04-18, 01:18   Link #16
SnowCrasher

I loved the first series. 10/10 (well okay, more like 9.6/10 but that's pretty close)

I liked how the narrative introduction before the opening sequence changed according to the storyline and the music was beautiful.

They did pretty good job creating new story and theories for the anime series. I especially enjoyed the emotional changes and relationship of Homunculus and the humans.
It's hard to please the original manga fans when an anime adaptation goes with its own original approach, but IMHO they pulled it off and I like both of them on their own.

The voice acting was great. <3 Romi Park as Edward!
I was surprised when I first heard Alphonse's voice (you don't really expect that from a big hunk of armor) but as soon as I heard it I thought it made perfect sense and was brilliant.

Animation and story-wise Episode 42 and 51 especially left a strong impression in me.
Old 2009-04-18, 02:50   Link #17
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Since NoSanninWa went to the trouble of making a new thread, I guess I'll give a full review.

Some thoughts before the nitty-gritty of my assessment:
Fullmetal Alchemist (from here on out will be referred to as FMA) was one of the first anime I watched, I believe it was on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, when they still aired great shows like Cowboy Bebop and Cyborg 009. I watched almost religiously, and I really loved all the characters, bad guys included. Well, except Envy because he killed Maes Hughes, who was one of my favorite characters. Anyway, I watched as many episodes as I could on television, but I eventually bought the DVDs, and I never regretted the loads of money THAT cost me. When the movie Conqueror of Shamballa came out, I was ecstatic, and the fanatic in me did a Winry "SQUEEEEE" just like I'm sure a lot of you did. I thought it was a faithful continuation of the story that the anime had brought forth.

To be honest, I had never read the manga until some months after the Conqueror of Shamballa. I had just rewatched the series and the movie and ran across the FMA manga discussion on the Animesuki Forums. I had never really considered even reading the manga, but after hearing how different the two were, curiosity drove me to buy a few volumes. Boy was I in for a treat! New characters, different twists, and new plotlines drew me in and I was instantly hooked. It's a lot different than the anime, but somehow that makes me appreciate the two mediums for what they are. In any case, I will judge the anime and the anime alone. I might use manga for OCCASIONAL reference, but I will take special care to not judge the anime for what may or may not be in the anime, because I consider the two to be telling a different story.

Animation Quality: 10/10
Let's be honest, this anime was as perfect as I can think of. From beautiful and stunning openings and endings to silky smooth action sequences and great character expressions ranging from joy to despair the animators really went all out. I think the best kind of animation is the kind you never notice because it's always good, and FMA delivered on being not only beautifully animated, but being nice and consistent as well. Not very many shows can do that for an extended period of time. Whether it's transmutations or someone smiling, it's always well done. Not to mention, how many other animation directors can get a TALKING SUIT OF ARMOR to express physical emotion? That's impressive even if nothing else is.

Voice Acting: 10/10
What can I say? This is honestly one of the few anime where I can say I liked the English voice acting just as much (heck, even maybe MORE) as the Japanese seiyuu. Vic did a great job as Ed, though he wasn't the only one. I was impressed (and I still am) when I hear inflection in their voices and I could take away the animation, have sound only, and still know what the look on their faces would be. Well, except Alphonse because he facial expressions don't show unless it's an exaggerated scene (which usually means its not a very serious situation). Some people though that Nina's voice with the lisp was annoying, but I thought it made her cute.

Editing: 9/10
While for the most part it was great, occasionally I felt certain flashbacks were a bit too long. I know they were essential points for the plot, but they lasted so long and were a bit too drawn out for their actual content. I'm mostly referring to Izumi's training arc which lasted an episode or two too long in my opinion. Although I know it was an important plot point, it still bored me. Other than that, no qualms really. And another comment on editing: FMA is one of the only shows that can pull you from laughing so hard to can't breathe to crying your eyes out with the snap of a finger and then back again. It's that good.

Script: 10/10
The script was just about perfect, though the charisma of the various star voice actors could conceivably make ANYTHING sound good. The script could say "let's kill babies", but if Ed said it, I would just laugh and say "oh, that Edward...". I suppose Scar's insistence on being a hypocrite annoyed me a lot, but that's part of his character so I can't blame the script. As I mentioned in editing, the script can go from glad to sad in nanoseconds, and both happy and sad moments are well written. From Ed and Panako's banter to Ed lamenting his own powerlessness, the script always fits. The best line in the entire series was easily Alphonse's last speech in episode 51: "Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete. Equivalent Exchange doesn't encompass everything that goes on here, but I still choose to believe in its principle, that all things do come at a price, that there's an ebb and a flow, a cycle, that the pain we went through did have a reward, and that anyone who's determined and perseveres will get something of value in return, even if it's not what they expected. I don't think of Equivalent Exchange as a law of the world anymore. I think of it as a promise, between my brother and me. A promise that, someday, we'll see each other again." *Sniff* Beautiful.

Adaption from Manga: N/A
I can't say much for this because it's such a complete departure from the manga storyline that I don't think it's fair to really compare it directly to the manga. What I will say, however, is that the SPIRIT and of the manga and anime both are roughtly the same. The tragedy and drama for both are quite powerful in their own right, as well as the funny moments, etc.

Character Development: 9/10
Ah yes, character development. This series, as far as supporting cast goes, is FREAKING HUGE. I haven't seen a cast this big since, well... ever. If I'm counting right, there have got to be somewhere around 90 characters if you include all the minor characters that we run into during the course of this series. From the military to the civilians, the FMA population is definitely big. And not only are there a lot of them, just about all of them are developed. I thought Maes Hughes' life was cut short way before his time (his death came out of nowhere for me, and really shocked me), but his character was still fully formed and lovable. Even the villians managed to pull off some kind of empathy, except for Gluttony because he doesn't have much character to begin with, and doesn't seem like the kind of character which would have it in the first place. Lust and Greed were probably my favorites, and even though they both died, in some ways they were more human than evildoers like Kimblee ever were. Scar's relationship to his brother was also fleshed out nicely, and the origin of his arm was well explained. Ed and Al need no rating, for they are the driving forces behind the whole series. Take either of them out of the picture, and the plot collapses, as well as the motivation. I won't say any more because I don't think I need to. The only complaint I have is Dante, which I will explain in the "Plot" rating section.

Plot: 8/10
Although for the most part it was indeed superb, there were a few things I really didn't like. I didn't like how Greed was nerfed. I know he was beaten in a logical manner, but for being the ultimate shield, I had expected him to at least last a little longer against Ed. I also didn't like Dante. Aside from her not being in the manga, I had always thought (even before I read the manga) that she was an incredibly flat character. She didn't have a very strong motive for doing what she was doing, other than seeking some kind of eroding immortality, of which Dante should have understood the futility. Her relationship with Hohenheim always struckk me as somewhat hollow as well, and I eventually learned why. Anyway, it was a case where they could have done so much more and didn't. I will say though that this anime's plot wraps up quite nicely with Conqueror of Shamballa, although the fact that Winry is left alone at the end and also never confronts Roy about her parent's murder always bothered me. I thought her and Roy's particular story arc was "unfinished", so to speak, and is another reason I deducted another point.

Overall: 9/10
Though better series have come and gone, and I realize some flaws that were made in FMA due to the fact they didn't follow the manga very closely after some time, it still manages to make it in my list of top ten favorite anime every time. And considering how many anime I've seen, I would say that's pretty impressive.

Well that's it. I may have missed some things, but I talked about as much as I really wanted.
Old 2009-04-18, 03:08   Link #18
molitar

Honestly I loved the first series.. goofed when I voted.. thought I was voting on the new crap 2009 series and not the original. Too bad I can't correct my vote above.. the first was a 10! The new crap is just that crap and painful.. trying to make it have a cartoony feel.. the new version is just aweful! I will stick with this original that had the look and feel of what the show should of been with all the bad stuff they kept running into.
Old 2009-04-18, 08:15   Link #19
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
Honestly I loved the first series.. goofed when I voted.. thought I was voting on the new crap 2009 series and not the original. Too bad I can't correct my vote above.. the first was a 10! The new crap is just that crap and painful.. trying to make it have a cartoony feel.. the new version is just aweful! I will stick with this original that had the look and feel of what the show should of been with all the bad stuff they kept running into.
What are you on about?

Brotherhood is an adaptation of the source material, you know the manga. The original series did that in some ways, though at the same time treated it like a brand new story. I'd just you to accept that instead of hating on Brotherhood because it's nothing like the first series.
Old 2009-04-19, 12:48   Link #20
Karnot
Banned

After episode 31 i just stopped watching. Still bought the DVDs, mind, but i cant force myself to watch the second half that was obviously written by someone smoking grounded nail clippings.
Closed Thread