Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-04-11, 06:51   Link #61
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
Ok, so I just read the chapter. I'm looking forward to Gear 4 but to me it feels too soon. We are just hitting the big leagues here and Luffy can't even make one dent with his King Haki which he's been training with for two years? I fear what will happen for him when they'll have to face Big Mom soon, what than? He could hardly handle the big bird here. I know Kid will come into play when we enter the Big Mom arc, wonder if Law will still be with the Strawhats at that point? You'd think after this that Law would need to rest a bit.

That's my concern on this is all. Two week break on this? I don't know any other Manga series that has so many breaks, feels like we just had one
Pretty sure Gear 4th is not the only major power-up Luffy has achieved, there had to be some kind of a bone thrown to fans because it would be ridiculous if Luffy didn't reveal anything new against someone like DoFlamingo.

I mean we Had like what almost 3 full arcs since time-skip without anything new except for the same attacks infused with Haki.
Old 2015-04-11, 06:59   Link #62
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Pretty sure Gear 4th is not the only major power-up Luffy has achieved, there had to be some kind of a bone thrown to fans because it would be ridiculous if Luffy didn't reveal anything new against someone like DoFlamingo.

I mean we Had like what almost 3 full arcs since time-skip without anything new except for the same attacks infused with Haki.
So what your saying is, Shit's just about to get real.
Alright got it. This is what were going to see what Luffy's truly made of post time-skip.
Hell maybe Gear 4 might be something involving 'Sky Warfare'. lol (small chance of that though)

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13

Last edited by Ravagerblade; 2015-04-11 at 08:07.
Old 2015-04-11, 08:33   Link #63
bonsobon

Quote:

I beg to differ. I think Gear 4 is the only new major technique that Luffy developed over the time skip and that we aren't going to see anything like that for a long while after this arc ends. I also think you're underestimating his use of haki. Let's not forget that he didn't know how to use any form of it before the two year period, other than unintentionally. He had to learn how to use them at will and that probably took most of the time period. He likely developed Gear 4 during the six months he was left by himself on the island after Rayleigh left, leaving him with no time to develop anything else. Hence my belief that he won't show any new major technique for a while yet.
Old 2015-04-11, 08:47   Link #64
Gilly

Oda is evil. Gear 4th teaser, a break, then a break after the next chapter due to holidays. Did he time it like this on purpose? Evil bastard.
Old 2015-04-11, 11:09   Link #65
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

I'm not against Gear 4 and know Dof isn't a push over, I guess I was just hoping Oda would have shown how much Luffy's improved with his King Haki over his two year training with it. This would have been the perfect arc to show off that training in my opinion along with improvements of his Gears and new moves that Oda just showed us in MI arc. I was thinking the Big Mom arc would have been the better arc to introduce Gear 4 to us, she's going to be even stronger than Dof.

I don't read H x H series so LOL. Forgot about that one though.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-04-11, 13:06   Link #66
itachi-san314

^the way I see it is that the 2 years were used to get Luffy's Conquerors Haki to be at the level of pirates like Doflamingo.
Old 2015-04-11, 13:55   Link #67
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
I beg to differ. I think Gear 4 is the only new major technique that Luffy developed over the time skip and that we aren't going to see anything like that for a long while after this arc ends. I also think you're underestimating his use of haki. Let's not forget that he didn't know how to use any form of it before the two year period, other than unintentionally. He had to learn how to use them at will and that probably took most of the time period. He likely developed Gear 4 during the six months he was left by himself on the island after Rayleigh left, leaving him with no time to develop anything else. Hence my belief that he won't show any new major technique for a while yet.
Let's not forget how fast Luffy learned Gear 2nd just after seeing CP9 use Soru, and he watched a lot of people at Marineford, especially Akainu, I'm pretty sure he has something up his sleeve just for Akainu.
Old 2015-04-11, 17:10   Link #68
DarkHollowIchigo

Well, there is one thing i can conclude.

Luffy tried all his current gears, and he could not really pack that punch to Doflamingo..

So my guess would go out to Luffy's 4th gear giving him at least a huge boost of strength, otherwise it would be futile.

Then again, Luffy is able to accelerate his own bloodflow, would be cool if this phenomanon could expand, making the air around him so hot that it is practically unable to breathe in.
Old 2015-04-11, 18:27   Link #69
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHollowIchigo View Post
would be cool if this phenomanon could expand, making the air around him so hot that it is practically unable to breathe in.
Wouldn't that hurt Luffy too ?
Old 2015-04-11, 20:32   Link #70
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

gear 4 would be where he coats his entire body in haki like vergo to increase str but sacrifices speed and agility
Old 2015-04-11, 22:33   Link #71
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

^That's not a gear. That's just CoA haki, and I don't believe that reduces speed.
Old 2015-04-12, 06:58   Link #72
DarkHollowIchigo

Quote:
Wouldn't that hurt Luffy too ?
For every problem there is a sollution .
Old 2015-04-12, 08:31   Link #73
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
Ok, so I just read the chapter. I'm looking forward to Gear 4 but to me it feels too soon. We are just hitting the big leagues here and Luffy can't even make one dent with his King Haki which he's been training with for two years? I fear what will happen for him when they'll have to face Big Mom soon, what than? He could hardly handle the big bird here. I know Kid will come into play when we enter the Big Mom arc, wonder if Law will still be with the Strawhats at that point? You'd think after this that Law would need to rest a bit.

That's my concern on this is all. Two week break on this? I don't know any other Manga series that has so many breaks, feels like we just had one
Well, so far, Haoshoku wasn't portrayed to give you a strength boost like Busoshoku. It was only used to knock out the weak ones, so there wasn't any reason to believe, that the King's Disposition would make Luffy hit harder.
We will see how far Luffy can take it with Gear Fourth. To me, this is much more interesting than his improvement with Haki, because like Crocodile said, not many have mastery over their Devil Fruit and achieving this is rather hard.

And yeah, like others mentioned, HxH definitely is the worst when it comes to breaks How long has it been now? Nine, ten months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960
If not the combination of the two then what?
There are hundreds of possibilities and there are already so many theories out there on the fan boards. I bet Oda is gonna give us a good one

Furthermore, there was improvement in Gear 2nd (not having to charge it, thus not having to use it all the time and control over which body part is activated) and Gear 3rd (the air not being equally distributed, so he can withdraw faster and still stretch while using Gear 3rd) over the timeskip, plus he already showed a combination of the two techniques pre-timeskip, hence there is no need to name it Gear 4th now. We will see, but I definitely bet on a completely new thing.

Last edited by ri0; 2015-04-12 at 08:57.
Old 2015-04-12, 08:49   Link #74
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0 View Post
And yeah, like others mentioned, HxH definitely is the worst when it comes to breaks How long has it been now? Nine, ten months?
Miura and Berserk say hi
Old 2015-04-12, 09:02   Link #75
ri0

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
Miura and Berserk say hi
I completely forgot about Berserk
But I guess, HxH is higher on my priority scale, that's why I don't keep such a keen look on Miura's doings...

BTW: I really like your avatar!
Old 2015-04-12, 15:30   Link #76
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
gear 4 would be where he coats his entire body in haki like vergo to increase str but sacrifices speed and agility
Why would he bite his arm if it was as simple as that ? Also, I'm pretty sure anyone who knows Haki is capable of doing that, no point in giving this a unique name like Gear forth.

However it's possible that he will coat his body and set it on fire, Gear 2nd + What you're saying = Luffy in Flames
Old 2015-04-12, 17:30   Link #77
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

Do you guys think Luffy developed a gear to enhance his cognitive abilities? We've seen him augment his body to produce different physical effects with the gomu-gomu, but what if he developed like gear 5 or 6 for mental instead of physical purposes? Like if he's in a battle where power alone can't win(Kaido?) Or to get out of certain situations? That is - if he has anymore gears after 4.

Raleigh could have inspired him to find different(non-physical) solutions to problems.
Old 2015-04-13, 00:15   Link #78
itachi-san314

Quote:
However it's possible that he will coat his body and set it on fire, Gear 2nd + What you're saying = Luffy in Flames
Flaming Luffy would be horrible. Naruto already did that and it was the beginning of the end for me as a fan of that series. the second Naruto was on fire, I started to care less and less until I stopped entirely. I really hope Luffy never has a move where he ignites on fire. that should be left to Sabo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belise View Post
Do you guys think Luffy developed a gear to enhance his cognitive abilities?
No.
Old 2015-04-13, 07:28   Link #79
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Flaming Luffy would be horrible. Naruto already did that and it was the beginning of the end for me as a fan of that series. the second Naruto was on fire, I started to care less and less until I stopped entirely. I really hope Luffy never has a move where he ignites on fire. that should be left to Sabo.

No.
Your quite the downer. Besides he does at least have Red Hawk. So that does go against your view. I guess you can go leave now.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Old 2015-04-13, 08:03   Link #80
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
Your quite the downer. Besides he does at least have Red Hawk. So that does go against your view. I guess you can go leave now.
red hawk is an existing technique and it does create some fire of course, but it's not like a body armor type. i was responding to a post about a theoretical gear 4 in which luffy is just literally on fire. that rips off a bad idea from naruto and steps on the toes of ace and now sabo's ability.
Closed Thread