Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Mecha in Real Life

Well, oneday when i'm wandering around in the internet i found this :

http://www.mechaps.com/
http://www.sakakibara-kikai.co.jp/products/other/LW.htm

What do you think? Will they succeed in bringin anime-style mecha into real life? Or even for military purpose?

Well, looks like it's not impossible to do so. Say, long ago people think it's impossible to fly and now... airplanes everywhere. So, maybe we'll see those mechas in real life quite soon too. I wonder how it will affect the world, moreover from the military view...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...

Last edited by Furuno; 2008-02-26 at 06:54.
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 05:49   Link #2
Dxon
Inactive Member

Pretty sweet. Hope they will do it.
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 06:09   Link #3
gabbytay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
Well, someday when i'm wandering around in the internet i found this :

http://www.mechaps.com/
http://www.sakakibara-kikai.co.jp/products/other/LW.htm

What do you think? Will they succeed in bringin anime-style mecha into real life? Or even for military purpose?

Well, looks like it's not impossible to do so. Say, long ago people think it's impossible to fly and now... airplanes everywhere. So, maybe we'll see those mechas in real life quite soon too. I wonder how it will affect the world, moreover from the military view...
they need to make it look like a gundam
gabbytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 06:10   Link #4
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Bleh give me a real life persocon any day
Old 2008-02-26, 06:24   Link #5
Hijiroku
Heil Mein Fuhrer

they have a vid of a test of it somewhere on youtube i seen it awhile back.So people are making more weapons to kill each other with how sad. i want the blueprints so i can burn them and blow the mecha up
Hijiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 06:35   Link #6
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Checked the video of the walking mecha in the second link and i loled at the second link.

The speed of it moving... I'm sure a senior would even out walk it. Also the way it moves.. It's not lifting it's foot up, it's just sliding/pushing it forward... Might as well put wheels under it. It might go faster that way to... And it's wobbling a lot when moving... I wonder how it's gone get up when it tumbles over

I don't think the military would have much use for mecha's. The humanoid form isn't the most efficient for combat. Gundam looks neat and all. But in a combat something this large and sticking out like a tower probably won't last to long.. Nor will the aerodynamics's help it with speed

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 06:50   Link #7
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
Didn't we had a similar discussion few years back?
Nevertheless, i know that john deere did build a prototype forestry machine few years back, with six legs. But never hear of iot since.
Giant humanoid machines for combat? Nah, even for construction work you probably want machines with more than two legs.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 06:54   Link #8
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Checked the video of the walking mecha in the second link and i loled at the second link.
Yeah, i'm kinda surprised too. I hope it's a REAL gattling gun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
The speed of it moving... I'm sure a senior would even out walk it. Also the way it moves.. It's not lifting it's foot up, it's just sliding/pushing it forward... Might as well put wheels under it. It might go faster that way to... And it's wobbling a lot when moving... I wonder how it's gone get up when it tumbles over
The Sakakibara's one kinda slow, what'll you expect from 250cc engine? Looks like MPS will use quite a powerful engine (http://www.mechaps.com/gallery/main....=302&g2_page=2 - "That HONDA Robot"? lol)...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 06:57   Link #9
ze Moose
Iä! Shub-Niggurath!
*Fansubber

I've always find the whole concept of mechs utterly ridiculous. We have tanks in real life for a good reason. The main idea of modern ground warfare is to remain unnoticed for as long as possible, using the ground as a cover as best as you can. With a mech, you would be pretty much shouting to your enemy "hello, I'm here, please shoot me!"

Add the facts that a mech could probably never reach the kind of movement speeds that tanks do. A mech would be also very unstable and the feet would be fragile with lots of moving joints. Such a target would be quite easy to immobilize and destroy. And flying mechs? Well... I think it should be pretty obvious that you can't make a human shaped robot fly as well as a plane does. In space you wouldn't have to care about the atmospheric drag but I still can't think of any reason to use mechs in space either. So why would anyone want to use mechs on a battlefield in the first place?
ze Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 07:00   Link #10
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Why? Because they would look cool. Aesthetics are very effective in causing fear or awe. But, yes, IRL they would not be a viable option for war.
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 07:10   Link #11
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ze Moose
I've always find the whole concept of mechs utterly ridiculous. We have tanks in real life for a good reason. The main idea of modern ground warfare is to remain unnoticed for as long as possible, using the ground as a cover as best as you can.
Think armoured infantry, heavy and large enough to carry mobile artillery guns. Or at least tank calibre weapons. In terms of mobility across multiple terrain, tanks are vastly inferior to infantry. The US had problems deploying M1A1 tanks in the Balkans, for example. The terrain severely limited their effectiveness.

Of course, war mecha remains very much a geek's pipe dream. But I wouldn't mind developing mecha for heavy industrial operations, like mining or deep-sea exploration. Also, if you're going to design a truly stable, multi-leg platform, you need at least six legs, not two.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 07:42   Link #12
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Nevertheless, i know that john deere did build a prototype forestry machine few years back, with six legs. But never hear of iot since.
That's probably way more viable. I'm eagerly waiting for Masamune Shirow-styled tanks to appear.

But we'll have to do cyberbrains first, otherwise where will the fun be in it? :/

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 08:12   Link #13
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ze Moose View Post
I've always find the whole concept of mechs utterly ridiculous. We have tanks in real life for a good reason. The main idea of modern ground warfare is to remain unnoticed for as long as possible, using the ground as a cover as best as you can. With a mech, you would be pretty much shouting to your enemy "hello, I'm here, please shoot me!"
OMG the colour schemes, some of them are worse then the British redcoats
Old 2008-02-26, 08:37   Link #14
Tri-ring

I once heard that if Teduka ever saw Ashimo developed by Honda that he would have probably requested for a pointed hairdo.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 08:41   Link #15
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

I PREFER A PERSOCOM THAT LOOKS LIKE CHII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cuz what could i do with a gundam if the world is against me

and also i dont want to kill i want to have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 09:06   Link #16
Shirozoku

I really don't think Mecha's would be a very good asset for war, first of all, its slow, second of all, it can lose balance and not take as much of a beating as a tank (for example), third of all, its huge as heck.

If i were to make a blind guess, i would say they'd do best in hazardous and heavy work, like handling radioactive material, or mining in hazardous environments
Shirozoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 10:08   Link #17
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

They are trying to move away from MANNED vehicles...
Old 2008-02-26, 10:59   Link #18
Sides

If someone is interested to see the john deere machine in action, go to youtube and look for "john deere walking tractor"

or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1h3vcLybfA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR3O7JSfWA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gk-yQ1H3M8
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 11:28   Link #19
Amray

I am sure that Hideo Kojima would be more than happy to help make one. ^_^
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 14:34   Link #20
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Oh hell yes, my dream of piloting real robot is coming closer and closer .