AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2018-11-08, 00:45   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 924 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

That time is upon us once again! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the info:

-Chapter title is "Ha" (title seems to be at least a partial reference to this). Splash page features Sentoumaru.

-Law attempts to save Luffy after his crushing defeat by Kaidou. However, as soon as he takes action, he's struck with a nail made from sea stone, sealing away his powers! Hawkins then reveals some shocking information concerning this mineral, which spread across the world: SEA STONE ORIGINATED IN WANO!!!! Furthermore, the few craftsmen skilled enough to refine the mineral only exist within that very country! As for Kaidou, he notices that Luffy, despite being unconscious, is still glaring at him in an unyielding fashion. The emperor then orders his men to capture the rubber man and have him imprisoned, as he'd make for a powerful subordinate....

-However, when Kaidou's men approach Luffy, they suddenly collapse! It turns out that his conqueror's haki is active despite being knocked out! The bandit Shutenmaru is surprised, as the deceased Oden also possessed that power. Kaidou is equally fascinated, noting that Eustass Kid possesses CoC as well, and that very few people are able to wield it. As his men continue to deal with Luffy, he apparently decides not to search for Law, and heads off to drink again. It would seem that Law has managed to escape danger despite the sea stone....

-Back at Okobore town, Kinemon watches his wife Otsuru from a distance, who's busy tending to the wounded villagers. Suddenly, the samurai spots Shutenmaru close by, and recognizes him as none other than..... Ashura Douji!! Meanwhile, Okiku returns to the ruins of Oden Castle, where she discovers a large pit. Within the pit are Nami's group, who managed to survive! As it turns out, the one who saved them was the kunoichi Shinobu, who used her "Juku Juku (mature) Bewitching Jutsu" to "mature" the ground around them, thus making it sink! We then shift to Inuarashi, who comes across the wounded Tama in the wastelands, barely clinging to life. The old dog is enraged that Kaidou would go so far as to harm a child. Soon, newspapers are spread throughout Wano, which Usopp, Franky, Robin, and Zoro (who's still lost, and is currently on a boat in a river,) react to with some rather.... unique expressions of shock.

-The next day, in the Udon province, several samurai are being worked to the bone in one of Kaidou's factories. In the factory's dungeon, one of the guards there brings food to an unseen prisoner in a cell (a meal of poisoned fish, no less). Soon, a new prisoner is brought into the dungeon: Luffy, who's face is not only wrapped in bandages, but whose body is covered in chains. Suddenly, the guard who brought the food is pierced in the neck by one of the fish bones! While he's confused as to who attacked him, Luffy is thrown into the cell with the other unseen prisoner. Kaidou's men say that Luffy will be put to hard labor until his spirit is broken....

-Luffy's cellmate is revealed: It's a ragged Eustass Kid. The both of them think of Kaidou before finally recognizing each other. It's at this point that the curtain falls on Act One of the Wano arc....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2018-11-10 at 00:59.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-08, 05:13   Link #2
kari-no-sugata II

Wow...

Nice developments!
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-08, 12:56   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Sounds like a nice chapter. Does Kaidou being fascinated that Luffy has CoC mean he doesn't have it himself? Now that would be a twist.
Old 2018-11-08, 16:14   Link #4
Rainbowman

Juku Juku, what does that translate to? At least we know where the seastone mineral originated.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-08, 16:59   Link #5
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Juku Juku, what does that translate to? At least we know where the seastone mineral originated.
熟 = juku = mature

I hate this chapter.
It destroys the difference the TS was supposed to make between rushing into the NW and training for it. And damn were those years a torture without the crew together.
It also retcons what Brule said in seducing woods about the SN powerlevels.
Oda is sacrificing too much for hype currently.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-08, 18:02   Link #6
marvelB

Okay, updated the post with pics and a slightly updated summary! Turns out the "Ha" from the title comes from the undercover Straw-Hats' reactions to the news about Luffy..... and holy hell, are those reactions something (ESPECIALLY Robin's)! Almost beats the Eneru shock face for best reaction pic in my book.... almost.

Anyway, the highlight of the chapter for me is the sea stone reveal. Wano's got some crazy talented artisans if they're responsible for both sea stone tools AND the Poneglyphs. I wonder if the sea stone refining techniques are also something that originated from the Kouzuki clan....?

Oh, and glad to see my theory about Shutenmaru being Asura turned out to prove true, after all! I'm actually a little surprised Oda made that reveal so soon... I figured we'd have to wait a few dozen chapters before the connection was made, heh. Also, Shinobu's ability seems rather similar to Jewelry Bonney's aging power.... maybe it's the "lower-tier" version of Bonney's fruit? Oda even brought up the subject of tiered fruits in a past SBS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Sounds like a nice chapter. Does Kaidou being fascinated that Luffy has CoC mean he doesn't have it himself? Now that would be a twist.
Eh, I doubt he lacks it. We already know most of the emperors possess CoC in some fashion, so I see no reason why Kaidou would be any different. I'd only consider Blackbeard to be the wild card here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has it, as well. I think Kaidou was just surprised to see that "rookies" like Luffy and Kid have the aura of the conqueror....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
I hate this chapter.
It destroys the difference the TS was supposed to make between rushing into the NW and training for it. And damn were those years a torture without the crew together.
It also retcons what Brule said in seducing woods about the SN powerlevels.
Oda is sacrificing too much for hype currently.
My own feelings aside (which I already expressed last thread), Luffy's loss to Kaidou just proves Blackbeard's words about our rubber friend right, after all....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-09, 00:53   Link #7
coded321
He Who Games

i never imagined robin could make such a face. i kept looking at it, asking myself, "is this robin?" its like my entire mental image of her completely collapsed. i know she's been more expressive after the time skip, making more exaggerated, cartoonish expressions like the rest of the crew, but this chapter really takes it to the extreme.
coded321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-09, 00:58   Link #8
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

I never thought Robin could make such face like that. I do hope it doesn't make her mission goes to blunder. Still, this is interesting but also put me to question. How did Marines get a hands of Kairoseki if it was originated from Wano?
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-09, 01:44   Link #9
Wandering Soul

Like s bunch of other people, I'm still stuck on the face Robin made when she read the news. Sure she's been more expressive lately, but that was one real surprising face.
Old 2018-11-09, 02:01   Link #10
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Anyway, the highlight of the chapter for me is the sea stone reveal. Wano's got some crazy talented artisans if they're responsible for both sea stone tools AND the Poneglyphs. I wonder if the sea stone refining techniques are also something that originated from the Kouzuki clan....?
This just strenghtens the ties of Wano to the void century. I'm really wondering when this part of the story will get fully revealed.

Quote:
Oh, and glad to see my theory about Shutenmaru being Asura turned out to prove true, after all! I'm actually a little surprised Oda made that reveal so soon... I figured we'd have to wait a few dozen chapters before the connection was made, heh.
Well, this part wasn't too surprising. The silhouette was really unique.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-09, 09:33   Link #11
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Sabaondy dejavuuuu!! it's Eustass + Luffy + Law combo agaiiiinnn!!!

Robin's face though...
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-09, 10:22   Link #12
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

was kidd the one that spat out the fish bone?
Old 2018-11-09, 11:06   Link #13
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
I don't think what Oda did to Robin in this chapter is going to go over well with some fans. LOL

Also, yeah, it was unclear to me if Kidd spat out the bone, or if that's a third inmate. I assume it's kid because the way he's shown beside Luffy at the end would typically follow some build-up and establishment shots, which I presume the panels with parts of his silhouette is supposed to be.
Old 2018-11-09, 11:07   Link #14
coded321
He Who Games

This feeling I have, it must be the same thing robin felt when chopper and franky switched bodies, and franky was making all sorts of facial expressions that chopper would never make, and Robin ordered him never to make such expressions with chopper's face. Oda, please, never have robin make a face like that ever again...
coded321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-09, 12:25   Link #15
TURI123456

Except on the way of the team has survived I love this chapter because it transmitted a feeling of ending and beginning.
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-09, 12:47   Link #16
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
About the only development I'm not liking in this arc is that up to this point, Oda has been a super-imaginative mangaka, and the only stuff that you see that was remotely Japanese was Zoro being a samurai and the color illustrations we'd get for holidays. But now... it's a case of "everything in this world is connected to my version of Ancient Japan!" I get that Japanese readers are the primary audiences, but after all these super-creative islands, he chooses the one that resembles Japan to be the epicenter of the world events... dammit Oda, you were doing so well to break the mold that every other manga was iin.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-09, 13:12   Link #17
necrolyte

I won't repeat people before me talking about Robin's face or Ashura reveal, but what do you guys think who will be the one to train Luffy or give him some directions how to defeat Kaido. Or would it just be another contest of strenght and endurance?

I think Ashura Douji will be the one who will teach him something but who knows, maybe Kid will give him some advise or will tell him that they can defeat Kaido if they fight together against him(probably with Law-Hawkins too).
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-09, 13:41   Link #18
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolyte View Post
what do you guys think who will be the one to train Luffy or give him some directions how to defeat Kaido.
Still sticking with Dogtooth on this one. I think we'll be seeing BM's crew show back up and fight Kaidou and his crew. That probably won't be for a while though. If Kidd learned Awakening and teaches Luffy somehow that could be interesting as well. A new old-world pirate could show up too, but I'm kind of bored with that trope.

Quote:
Or would it just be another contest of strenght and endurance?
It'll probably end up being this at some point.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-09, 15:47   Link #19
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

anyone else think the other person inside the cell is Kozuki Hiyori, Momonosuke's sister?
Old 2018-11-09, 16:19   Link #20
kari-no-sugata II

One thing that occurred to me recently: perhaps Oda will do something different for the defeat of Kaido. That instead of it being Luffy vs Kaido that it'll be many people including Luffy vs Kaido and only the combined force manage to take the guy down. That would be interesting at it would be both a win (in that his side came up on top) and a loss for Luffy (that he himself wasn't good enough).
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote