2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.72%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-05-19, 00:01   Link #101
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
50-50 depending if it's true or not. Anyway this isn't the thread for that speculation so I'm dropping that for the moment. And no, haven't touched the manga yet.
I'm guessing that you're probably thinking what I'm thinking. There's not much subtlety to this story, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
The one were the useless fodder die and eren dies mainly due to bad luck. And everyone blames the fodder who would died earlier if not for erens death on Erens. Like their blood is on his hand when he is the sole reason they decided to fight and not be killed off by the giant titan.
And I'm fairly sick of you harping on the same point, because you well know my rebuttal. If you don't like the anime, you're welcome to stick to the manga, which you apparently prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
Nah. It's more of the symbolism behind that fruit is "rebirth". You see the light coming back in Mikasa's eyes after that scene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It's strange though... did they just choose to draw Mikasa's eyes normally so that they could show her dead eyes in this part only?
This is my only minor complaint. Mikasa should have those eyes full time, as she has in the manga.
And that is what I mean by reserving judgment, and also of the futility of comparing anime against manga. Different creators bring different interpretations to a story. It ought to be quite clear now that the anime chooses to make a more direct link between Mikasa's motivation and her meaning in life. Which is to say, as long as Eren is around, she's driven to act. Take him away from her, or her memories of him, and she loses her will to live.

Within the context of the anime, it makes perfect sense. It certainly makes for gripping viewing. Sure, you're welcome to compare all you like, but always remember that directorial/editorial decisions must always be judged from within the context of its work. It makes no sense to compare apples against oranges, and that's what annoys me about manga comparisons: It must be done in the right spirit, or you'd fail to evaluate the anime on a fair basis.

Anyway, all that aside, a brilliant episode. I loved it.

=========

By the way, I believe this was the first time it was brought up in the anime: There are no stairs on the walls.

Which is to say, the only way to scale it during an emergency is with functioning 3DMG...
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:05   Link #102
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puu View Post
Maybe asking when it's time to run and climb the wall ???

(By the way, Annie sure is short there...)
Annie is the same height as Eren...which shows how tall Reiner and Bert are rather than how short she is.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:07   Link #103
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Maybe asking when it's time to run and climb the wall ???

(By the way, Annie sure is short there...)
Eh, it sounds more like they were waiting for something to me, but that could be possible too.

And yeah, Annie is dwarf compared to them.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:08   Link #104
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post

And yeah, Annie is dwarf compared to them.
Imagine Christa and Armin, the two shortest members of the main cast xD
Old 2013-05-19, 00:11   Link #105
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Annie is the same height as Eren...which shows how tall Reiner and Bert are rather than how short she is.
I believe Bert is 191.

The shortest character I believe is Christa.
Old 2013-05-19, 00:15   Link #106
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Actually, scratch what I said...Eren and Mikasa are the ones with the same height. Annie is 153cm tall while Bert is a tall bastard (compared to the rest of the cast) at 192cm.

Christa is 145cm (Annie: I shall call her, Mini-me!).
Old 2013-05-19, 00:15   Link #107
Zenaku222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Actually Eren is 170cm, Annie is 153cm

Zenaku222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:27   Link #108
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
By the way, I believe this was the first time it was brought up in the anime: There are no stairs on the walls.

Which is to say, the only way to scale it during an emergency is with functioning 3DMG...
Which reminds me, the towns' layout bothers me too. I feel like there's too many open pathways. Couldn't they have laid out the city plan so that Titans (if they ever rolled by) would have a harder time navigating the area because of their size? Like more archways or winding paths lined with houses? Titans can wreck them, for sure, but it could slow them down and let people escape faster (because of their size) ....

Then again, I guess it's also because of the 3D gear they have.... (or maybe they could just do what Assassin Creed games have-- lots of towers.... )
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:27   Link #109
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Eren spent the entire first half of that episode inspiring a bunch of guys who had given up before the fight had even started. He even stopped Mikasa from having a panic attack then and there.

Eren is the only reason any of the recruits even got as far as they did. Mikasa also went against orders to go to the front-line simply because she was worried about Eren, thus forcing herself into a fight or die situation, where she fully intended to die once she heard Eren had.

Luck is the only thing that saved Mikasa, and the fact Eren's mentality was so strongly ingrained in her she acted on it subconsciously.

Notice how Mikasa spent half the episode parroting Eren's words to people? It isn't because she was handling the situation well, it was because she is clinging to the only thing she had left, her memories of Eren.

Heck, the end of the last episode even had Mikasa saying "as long as Eren is with me, I can do anything." There is also a good reason that Arwin scolded her for basically going off to die when she had effectively claimed responsibility of the lives of everyone there, what she did was technically even worse then what Eren had.

I love Mikasa, she is my favorite character, but people will kiss the ground she walks on for doing the exact same they condemn Eren for, and that bugs me.

You are making good posts that make sense, based on the facts that happened in the story. But unfortunately the person you are arguing with doesn't care about the facts and only cares about being "right" It's nice of you to explain this for us though, but you're not going to get through to this person. It'll be like the guy who thought that arrows could take out titans over using the swords. . .best to quit now since you've already made the most valid points in the argument.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:31   Link #110
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Which reminds me, the towns' layout bothers me too. I feel like there's too many open pathways. Couldn't they have laid out the city plan so that Titans (if they ever rolled by) would have a harder time navigating the area because of their size? Like more archways or winding paths lined with houses? Titans can wreck them, for sure, but it could slow them down and let people escape faster (because of their size) ....

Then again, I guess it's also because of the 3D gear they have.... (or maybe they could just do what Assassin Creed games have-- lots of towers.... )
I'd have a better solution...:
Connected tunnels... In every house.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2013-05-19 at 00:52.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:33   Link #111
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Basements and underground tunnels would benefit them a lot in an emergency situation too, no?
Old 2013-05-19, 00:37   Link #112
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
You are making good posts that make sense, based on the facts that happened in the story. But unfortunately the person you are arguing with doesn't care about the facts and only cares about being "right" It's nice of you to explain this for us though, but you're not going to get through to this person. It'll be like the guy who thought that arrows could take out titans over using the swords. . .best to quit now since you've already made the most valid points in the argument.
And the only story that matters when discussing anime technicalities is the one presented by the anime. Really, is that too much to ask? I'd really like to put this spat to rest, but it's irksome that it's the manga readers who bring it up every time.

========

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Quote:
Basements and underground tunnels would benefit them a lot in an emergency situation too, no?
All very good urban planning suggestions, considering the circumstances as portrayed in the anime. But then again, as Mikasa said in this episode, they managed to evacuate everyone without suffering any civilian casualties, so the ideas are somewhat moot. Whatever they planned worked this time round, and it has been no less harrowing than the incident five years ago.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:42   Link #113
CJ_Walker

Quote:
That would be a good idea, but how would they eat? . . .I guess they could do what the guys living underground in TTGL did for food. . .

Whatever that was
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:49   Link #114
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post

"I am strong. Stronger than all of you. Extremely strong. I can kill all those Titans there. Even if I'm alone. You are either incompetent or you are spineless cowards. How pathetic. You can sit here and suck on your fingers. Yeah, do that.......

If I can't, I die. If I win, I live.

But unless I fight, I cannot win."

And the crowd goes wild.....

Screencaped this, I'll print a poster of it and hang it somewhere in my room.
Old 2013-05-19, 00:54   Link #115
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
The one were the useless fodder die and eren dies mainly due to bad luck. And everyone blames the fodder who would died earlier if not for erens death on Erens. Like their blood is on his hand when he is the sole reason they decided to fight and not be killed off by the giant titan.
Ah~ Thomas?
I actually don't remember that scene too clearly.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:56   Link #116
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
And the only story that matters when discussing anime technicalities is the one presented by the anime. Really, is that too much to ask? I'd really like to put this spat to rest, but it's irksome that it's the manga readers who bring it up every time.

========
Fenrir was using anime examples in that excellent and well thought out post of his.
Old 2013-05-19, 01:06   Link #117
David_The_Gnome
MR Claytard

Just marathoned the shit out of this anime. Got me hooked.

However, these Recon guys are in serious need of a R&D department!

Put some engineers in a room and cook up something better than the spiderman gear. Seriously. I don't care what because so far there's only 1 person doing all the onscreen kills, and it takes a prodigy to do to the job right. Everybody else gets massacred noobs and vets alike.

It's obvious their tech is a handicap. Build some nukes, drones, trip wires, tanks, anything. Heck...go Gundam on them if you need to. Duel-wielded swords just aren't cutting it.
David_The_Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 01:06   Link #118
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Episode 7

From Ninja Swordsman to Mixed Martial Artist

This is way much cooler.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 01:09   Link #119
Ken Sanders
The Wanderer

Spoiler for Eren's Anger towards his prey:

Eren Jaeger:

I, who roared at the heavenly sky, pierced through it; I, who howled at the mighty earth, trembled upon my wake.

My fists are the Iron Hammers of Fury; however, my fury will not be quenched easily.

I will hunt them, ravage them, beat them, exterminate them, churned them, tear them, crush them, break them, shatter them, smash them, and ultimately destroy them!!!

I am the envoy of wrath; I am the physical manifestation of humanity’s anger!!!!!
Ken Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 01:17   Link #120
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_The_Gnome View Post
Just marathoned the shit out of this anime. Got me hooked.

However, these Recon guys are in serious need of a R&D department!

Put some engineers in a room and cook up something better than the spiderman gear. Seriously. I don't care what because so far there's only 1 person doing all the onscreen kills, and it takes a prodigy to do to the job right. Everybody else gets massacred noobs and vets alike.

It's obvious their tech is a handicap. Build some nukes, drones, trip wires, tanks, anything. Heck...go Gundam on them if you need to. Duel-wielded swords just aren't cutting it.
They'd probably have to deal with it being expensive though and tough on their (probably) already tight resources. We can build nukes, drones and whatnot because we have the benefit of importing materials if we don't have them... but bet those guys behind the wall don't have that luxury.....

B) Humans are more abundant....

Quote:
That would be a good idea, but how would they eat? . . .I guess they could do what the guys living underground in TTGL did for food. . .

Whatever that was
Soylent Green.........................