AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2016-06-03, 05:47   Link #41
SidVicious
Anime addict

First chapter of the new manga is out.
It was really nice.
Old 2016-06-03, 05:52   Link #42
RDNexus

You mean the RAW, I guess?
Old 2016-06-03, 06:01   Link #43
SidVicious
Anime addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
You mean the RAW, I guess?
No, translated to english.
Old 2016-06-03, 07:59   Link #44
larethian

Anyone willing to take the effort to make a new thread in manga? xD
Old 2016-06-03, 08:18   Link #45
RDNexus

Whoever ends up doing it, please post the link here, ok?
Old 2016-06-03, 08:47   Link #46
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by HasuMasu View Post
You guys don't get it. There are people like me who didn't watch Cardcaptor Sakura when they were younger. Not to mention alll the kids that have been born since then. Did you ever consider that maybe this new series isn't made for you?
Well said. A brand new anime has a hype advantage, and a discussion advantage, over an older and finished and done show. Even here on Anime Suki, where there are many veteran anime fans, it can be a real struggle to get discussions going on older finished anime shows. Whether we like it or not, people tend to have a bias towards the new and the current.

A new show will bring in new fans that the older original show just won't bring in on its own, as long as the new show is at least half-decent. And a new remake isn't going to detract from the original unless you allow it to in your own mind. The recent Sailor Moon anime remake doesn't take anything away from my appreciation and fondness for the 90s Sailor Moon anime.

And it's not like the original Card Captor Sakura show is totally great and can't possibly be improved upon in any way. The show's pacing is slow, the animation is usually basic from what I recall, and the character designs definitely have room for improvement (character legs sometimes have this long noodles look to them for me). Don't get me wrong, the original CCS did get a lot right (Sakura's costumes are consistently beautiful), and I understand why some hold it in high regard. But there's definitely room for modernizing its look and style and pacing, and making it more appealing to the current anime fandom.

Or the remake might get messed up. Who knows. But I'd much rather see anime go for modernized remakes of excellent old anime classics than for anime to adapt yet another totally generic harem romcom Light Novel.
Old 2016-06-03, 08:53   Link #47
RDNexus

Yeah, I'm also all for remakes/revampings of great classics, especially because of possibly renewed character designs, animation quality and possible new content that could make the original story even better. Or, maybe, a more faithful adaption, depending on the previous one.
And yes, it could be a nice add-on to each story's franchise or a major flop that could get it's name on the mud, it all depends on it's development and execution.

Unfortunately... Such nice projects wouldn't make many LNs lose their adaptions, because of the current commercial target audience...
How I wish LN authors would step up on their game and create truly amazing LN stories...
Old 2016-06-03, 12:05   Link #48
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
sniped for space
Can I just give you a box of cookies for saying what I've been thinking this whole time, but just not feeling up to writing it out.

I pretty much agree with you on every point. I also felt that many of the battles lacked tension, but the show also had some beautiful animation sequences in my opinion, not to mention some nice insert songs, and yes I loved Sakura's revolving door of outfits. The original anime was nice, but not something I'd consider a holy cow that should never be touched again. I'd love for Madhouse to be able to work on this again, whether it be a remake, reboot, sequel, prequel or whatever, just to see what they could do with it.
Old 2016-06-03, 12:32   Link #49
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
And it's not like the original Card Captor Sakura show is totally great and can't possibly be improved upon in any way.
It's not perfect, but it's damn great. Like I said in my previous post, I hope this remake will bring something new other than updated animation. Like, do people really want another adaptation of Jurassic Park novel and Watchmen comic after Spielberg and Snyder's excellent take on them (with some liberties, like CCS anime) just so that they can have a good discussion about it with the younger generation? I sure as hell don't.

Quote:
The show's pacing is slow,
CCS is the mahou shoujo equivalent of Aria the Animation, so I think the slow pace and cheerful and funny atmosphere is well intentioned. Like MeoTwister said, it's mainly pure and benign, and that's just how it is.

Quote:
the animation is usually basic from what I recall,
Actually, there's a lot of good handrawn non-digital animation sequences throughout the series with stock footage and reused animation only relegated to Sakura and Syaoran doing their spells and sealing IIRC. I do have the copies of the Blu-ray here in my room.

Quote:
and the character designs definitely have room for improvement (character legs sometimes have this long noodles look to them for me).
Then maybe you don't like Clamps chara-designs who made CCS what it is. Do you feel the same about Code Geass's chara-designs?

Quote:
Or the remake might get messed up. Who knows. But I'd much rather see anime go for modernized remakes of excellent old anime classics than for anime to adapt yet another totally generic harem romcom Light Novel.
I can only imagine the greatness if the resources spent to do this CCS remake being used into actually making a decent adaptation of Negima, Shaman King, Kamen Rider Spirits, Rurouni Kenshin Jinchu, etc. You know, other mangas that actually could use a better adaptation than CCS manga.
Old 2016-06-03, 13:03   Link #50
RDNexus

There's no confirmation that this new project is a remake or whatever.
If some sort of commercial interest shows up for those stories you mentioned, then I'd also be all up to them... Despite me not watching Kamen Rider
Old 2016-06-03, 17:42   Link #51
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

I'll probably wait till the season is over to watch. I don't mind a remake of CCS or even a continuation, I just hope that it is done exceptionally well. CCS may have been my first Anime series to watch and I judge pretty much all magical girl anime by it (and Nanoha). That means by my standards almost all magical girl anime fail . I'll wait for it to end, read the reviews and a few spoilers and see if it's going to be depressing and overly dramatic, then I'll decide if I want to watch it. I still have every episode of CCS that I can get my fill of Sakura, I can pretend this doesn't exist if it messes things up.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
Old 2016-06-03, 18:11   Link #52
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, I'm also all for remakes/revampings of great classics, especially because of possibly renewed character designs, animation quality and possible new content that could make the original story even better. Or, maybe, a more faithful adaption, depending on the previous one.
And yes, it could be a nice add-on to each story's franchise or a major flop that could get it's name on the mud, it all depends on it's development and execution.
Yeah, that's also how I see it. Also, unless the new CCS anime is simply terrible, it can provide an useful means for promoting the older original show. If I was as passionate about CCS as some people on this thread are, I'd be thrilled at this new CCS anime happening, if for no other reason that it could easily serve as a gateway into the original show itself.

"If you like this new CCS show, I think you'll love the original!" And then maybe list a few reasons why. If the new show gets a decent-or-better response after its first few episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Can I just give you a box of cookies for saying what I've been thinking this whole time, but just not feeling up to writing it out.
Ha ha! I appreciate the thought. Any cookies with peanut butter in it is a big winner for me.

I agree with what you wrote about Cardcaptor Sakura. The animation quality in the show is fine, certainly. But I don't recall an animation sequence in it that wowed me like you'll find some of in many KyoAni productions. My general impression is that the overall quality of anime animation has improved since CCS aired. I definitely think there's a chance to get more engaging and intense action scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Like, do people really want another adaptation of Jurassic Park novel and Watchmen comic after Spielberg and Snyder's excellent take on them (with some liberties, like CCS anime) just so that they can have a good discussion about it with the younger generation? I sure as hell don't.
Then I guess we're different. I generally think it's nice for each generation to have its own version of a popular classic, and this may well be the only way for such classics to truly thrive in our modern world. The slow pace may be "well intentioned", and I can see why some would like it, but that doesn't mean everybody likes it.

As for CLAMP's chara-designs, most are fine, but their approach to limbs (especially legs) is one area that I sometimes don't like. Code Geass' character designs are strong enough overall that this is something I can overlook in their characters. And when Sakura is in full costume, I can usually overlook it in her character as well. But when her and her classmates are in their student uniforms? Yeah, the noodle-like legs can stand-out in a bad way to me there.
Old 2016-06-03, 20:12   Link #53
Kazu-kun

Quote:
How I wish LN authors would step up on their game and create truly amazing LN stories...
They'd probably start flopping if they did that.
Old 2016-06-03, 20:54   Link #54
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Then I guess we're different. I generally think it's nice for each generation to have its own version of a popular classic, and this may well be the only way for such classics to truly thrive in our modern world. The slow pace may be "well intentioned", and I can see why some would like it, but that doesn't mean everybody likes it.
Truth be told, I’m never against a remake if the original old product is considerably flawed and ripe for improvement. I mean, look at the successful Hollywood remakes like Cronenberg’s The Fly, Kaufman’s Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Russell’s The Blob, and Carpenter’s The Thing. Each of those remakes are better than the original products because the originals are such flawed works. It had great concept but poor in execution. On the other hand, we have remakes of the great classic The Day the Earth Stood Still, Total Recall, Poseidon, The Omen, The Invasion, Conan the Barbarian, etc that really pales in comparison to the originals and pretty much doing a disservice to them. Of course, there’s the “so-so” category where the remakes both improve the original in some notable aspects but also do worse in some other aspects. For example, Peter Jackson’s King Kong: it greatly improved the spectacle and creature effects compared to Cooper's 1933 original, but it was also unforgivably bloated and padded to hell and back.

If you ask me, I’d rather see each generation has their own classics and masterpieces that’s not a remake of past existing classics and masterpieces. (50s has Godzilla, Ben Hur, Seven Samurai etc; 60s has the good Connery Bond movies, Psycho, Space Odyssey, etc; 70s has The Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars, etc; 80s has Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, etc; 90s has Jurassic Park, Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, etc; 00s has LOTR, Kill Bill, Pan's Labyrinth, Memento, etc). But like I previously said, I’ll give this CCS remake a chance with an open mind because once in a blue moon, a remake of a classic can actually stand on its own and can stand up to the original like Soderbergh’s Ocean’s Eleven and Madhouse’s Hunter x Hunter remake. They’re not necessarily better than the previous work but they actually add something and being thoughtfully different than the original in a good way. Since this remake is already happening, I’m hoping for the best (like JoJo: Stardust Crusader) while also bracing for the worse (like SMC…ugh).

Quote:
As for CLAMP's chara-designs, most are fine, but their approach to limbs (especially legs) is one area that I sometimes don't like. Code Geass' character designs are strong enough overall that this is something I can overlook in their characters. And when Sakura is in full costume, I can usually overlook it in her character as well. But when her and her classmates are in their student uniforms? Yeah, the noodle-like legs can stand-out in a bad way to me there.
So you basically don't like CCS chara-design for what they are and like a departure of what was intended by the author? Well, I can understand that as long as the updated design actually improves the original without taking out the essence of their character. The recent Black Jack prequel comes to mind.
Old 2016-06-03, 21:04   Link #55
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Oh, Madhouse did the original CCS anime. I hope they handle this new CCS series like they did with HxH.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2016-06-03, 22:23   Link #56
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

If you ask me, I’d rather see each generation has their own classics and masterpieces that’s not a remake of past existing classics and masterpieces.
It doesn't have to be an either-or situation. You can have each generation having their own classics while also having remakes of old classics. There's literally over a hundred anime shows made each and every year, so there's plenty of room for both remakes of old classics and new shows that will (hopefully) become classics of their own.

And there have been anime shows released within the last few years that may well end up being classics of their own. Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Shinsekai Yori, and Shirobako are a few likely examples of that.

I'm skipping over your Hollywood movies points, by the way, because I'm not a big film buff.

Quote:
So you basically don't like CCS chara-design for what they are...
Just because I'd most like the legs to look differently means I don't like CCS chara-designs for what they are? I think that's being overly dramatic about it.

Quote:
and like a departure of what was intended by the author?
It's a character design. It's aesthetics. Such things are very frequently changed when adapting from one medium to another. As long as any changes still maintain what people like about the character and his/her appearance, I don't see a problem with this.
Old 2016-06-03, 23:07   Link #57
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
...CCS is the mahou shoujo equivalent of Aria the Animation, so I think the slow pace and cheerful and funny atmosphere is well intentioned. Like MeoTwister said, it's mainly pure and benign, and that's just how it is....
That's ... an unexpected (though perhaps not an unapplicable) comparison. Hmm.

Well, that being said the manga chapter of the "Blank Card arc" (?) was just released, and if it is what will be being adapted I think it could be interesting - it would not necessarily be a re-telling of the original'; though I am fine with giving that a chance too, despite really enjoying the ... erm ... "original adaptation", but as long as they hold to the general "standards of excellence" of the latter I am all for "new material".
Old 2016-06-03, 23:09   Link #58
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
It doesn't have to be an either-or situation. You can have each generation having their own classics while also having remakes of old classics. There's literally over a hundred anime shows made each and every year, so there's plenty of room for both remakes of old classics and new shows that will (hopefully) become classics of their own.

And there have been anime shows released within the last few years that may well end up being classics of their own. Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Shinsekai Yori, and Shirobako are a few likely examples of that.
I’m not saying this decade doesn’t have its own anime classics. I just prefer them to keep fresh ideas coming, or at least adapt mangas, novels and LNs that actually needed and has been long overdue to be adapted into anime, not remaking anime classics and hoping to catch the lightning twice. That’s just my preference: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Quote:
I'm skipping over your Hollywood movies points, by the way, because I'm not a big film buff.
Oh, that's too bad coz there are many cases and parallels that we can make regarding remakes.

Quote:
Just because I'd most like the legs to look differently means I don't like CCS chara-designs for what they are? I think that's being overly dramatic about it.
You’re making a case about Clamp characters’ elongated limbs which has became one of their famous trademarks (just ask anybody who knows Clamp). So no, I’m not being overly dramatic. You literally just said that you dislike one of Clamp’s most notable aesthetic signatures. Which I’m okay with that, btw. Everyone has their own taste.

Quote:
It's a character design. It's aesthetics. Such things are very frequently changed when adapting from one medium to another. As long as any changes still maintain what people like about the character and his/her appearance, I don't see a problem with this.
And by appearance, that includes the signature elongated limbs that you don't like. So I merely concluded that you’re asking for something different or an improvement or a departure of the original design. Is that wrong? Not that it's bad or anything. As you can see, I also proposed the same case with the recent Black Jack anime prequel where the chara design got a considerable update for the better.
Old 2016-06-05, 02:29   Link #59
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Does anyone know if Tange Sakura is going to be comeing back to voice Sakura? I mean she's been Sakura since the beginning so It'd be weird to change her out now since she's still an active voice actress doing Dog Days and Gatchaman last year from what i remember. I just hope she can still do the Sakura voice.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
Old 2016-06-05, 03:26   Link #60
rladls2121

I suddenly miss Watanuki for some reason.
Closed Thread