AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2007-09-20, 00:19   Link #2441
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeshoDesho View Post
2.that a crossdresser? WTF
Yeah, that's me.

And for a video of me doing the Hare-Hare Yukai dance, click below:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0AdYCJ19KIU

Enjoy!!
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 09:02   Link #2442
Kittie Rose

I'm wondering; Haruhi's famous "head-dress" is basically two thick ribbons pulled tight around her head(giving the "appearance" of a hair band on top because it's flat and wide but it's not really) and tied as shoe laces at either side?

I'm setting up an SOS Brigade here, and as the Chief, I really need something to say that fact. The wrist band would be a bit tacky in real life...
Kittie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 09:11   Link #2443
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
I'm wondering; Haruhi's famous "head-dress" is basically two thick ribbons pulled tight around her head(giving the "appearance" of a hair band on top because it's flat and wide but it's not really) and tied as shoe laces at either side?

I'm setting up an SOS Brigade here, and as the Chief, I really need something to say that fact. The wrist band would be a bit tacky in real life...
Actually, from official art it was found that the Ribbins are attached to a plastic headband, like the one below: (it's called an "Alice" headband)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-Headband.PNG

And here is a link to a commercial version of Haruhi Headband, with the "Alice" built-in.
http://www.myimportstore.com/store/i...hiHeadband.jpg

The headband version supplied by the USA Haruhi DVD is different, because of either cost or difficulty in fitting it in the box.
Old 2007-10-02, 11:38   Link #2444
VicViper_Mk2
Combat Maid

i have a question regarding the name of the series. Why do they call it "the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" i didn't know what melancholy means so i looked it up in the dictionary. It means depression, or mood disorder. So what exactly is this suppose to mean?

Second, why is this series so popular? I can think of several possible reasons

1. because the female casts are pretty

2. fascinated by the fact that a high school student is practically a god yet oblivious to the fact

3. the semi sci-fi setting, lots of techno mumbo.

4. all of the above

please correct or add anything i might have missed. much appreciated.
VicViper_Mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 13:27   Link #2445
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicViper_Mk2 View Post
i have a question regarding the name of the series. Why do they call it "the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" i didn't know what melancholy means so i looked it up in the dictionary. It means depression, or mood disorder. So what exactly is this suppose to mean?

2. fascinated by the fact that a high school student is practically a god yet oblivious to the fact

4. all of the above

Well, let's see......HM!
Why Melancholy? If you've actually watched it, you'll notice that the crazy girl has some serious mood jumps, not to mention the fact that the whole world better watch out whenever she gets bored or upset. I actually like the American title quite a bit.

And it's hard to judge why any particular show becomes popular, but with this one, I'm not surprised at all. It's different. So yes, you've named off several possible reasons, but there are plenty other explanations for why the show has hit it so big.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 16:13   Link #2446
Silasj
SOS団 Member

Send a message via AIM to Silasj Send a message via MSN to Silasj
Regarding why it's popular, I can't really come up with a word for it. I just instantly loved it, the energy, just the Haruhi character, after seeing a few episodes you just love it, indescribeable :P
Old 2007-10-02, 17:07   Link #2447
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

It's got a whole lot of something most other anime doesn't have: a big heart that's still grounded somewhere in reality.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 20:40   Link #2448
~ Lawliet ~

I've watched it in both the order it was aired, as well as chronological order. Nagato Yuki is full of pure and epic win.
~ Lawliet ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 16:07   Link #2449
ClaFanN1
Banned

If anime serties could be arrested for being too horrible, this sure would be the first one to be busted
ClaFanN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 02:30   Link #2450
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicViper_Mk2 View Post

4. all of the above

Cos Haruhi wills it to be so.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 20:31   Link #2451
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo View Post
If anime serties could be arrested for being too horrible, this sure would be the first one to be busted
Is that an insult to this anime?
I understand that people have their own opinions and tMoHS might not appeal to everyone, but I'd like it if, if you came back, to say why you didn't like it.

Must not flame... must not flame....
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 21:10   Link #2452
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
[Offtopic] You spelled series wrong tempo :/ [/offtopic]

I believe the Haruhi series is so popular because of the characters, and the concept of the story. The series has unique characters with back story (this is very true for Haruhi herself) and character development. There is a balance in the story whether or not the current book or episode you are reading/watching is (or based off) one of the shorter stories or in itself a complete "arc" of the series. I just liked it because it was fun, and fun for all the right reasons.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 22:16   Link #2453
symbiotes_021
Arke Knight

Just watch the series and man, I couldnt get enough of it. The characters and storyline is real unique.

Watch untileps 10 till yesterday.

Fear me, even Setsuna's Exia wouldn't stand a chance of winning my Zaiaku!!
symbiotes_021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 02:20   Link #2454
Sol Falling

Somehow (lol no actually I know exactly how) I am probably looking down on other fans of Haruhi Suzumiya, 'cause...

I think the initial hook of the series is the very relatable premise: the real world is boring, fiction is more fun--why don't we try to live out fiction? I don't think anybody's completely immune to the feeling of what we go through everyday being boring or pointless--that the main character of the show seems to be doing something about this catches our attention.

What the show is actually about, though, is learning to find the real world interesting, not being obsessed with fiction. It's about seeing what's in front of you. It's not about being angry or bitter at the world for being boring and acting like it owes you something.

Unfortunately though, what many fans get from the story is only the hook. "Here is somebody who thinks normal things are boring and worthless! I do too--I like her, and will treat her as a static template for myself in this story." The don't follow Haruhi's development into somebody who moves away from this attitude. Instead, they just latch onto Haruhi as a figurehead so they can justify and whine to themselves that they shouldn't have to be exposed to all those "worthless" things.

It's ironic. The series' message deals with overcoming ADHD, but the audience is often too ADHD to pay enough attention to get the message. "I can't wait to see what crazy hijinks Haruhi thinks up next!" Ugh...

I just really can't reconcile the fact that so many people prefer the final episode in airing order as opposed to chronological without the feeling that so many people missed the point completely. It might be popular, but popularity doesn't really mean anything.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 12:37   Link #2455
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
What the show is actually about, though, is learning to find the real world interesting, not being obsessed with fiction. It's about seeing what's in front of you. It's not about being angry or bitter at the world for being boring and acting like it owes you something. [...] It's ironic. The series' message deals with overcoming ADHD, but the audience is often too ADHD to pay enough attention to get the message.
Interesting conclusion on both the show's theme and its fans. Not sure that I totally agree, though. You suggest that a lot of fans find themselves identifying with Haruhi's boredom/"melancholy", and so miss the development that shows her growing to appreciate the "real world". But, actually, I might suggest that there's another way of looking at the show, and that'd be identifying with Kyon. It's still very much about "learning to find the real world interesting", but in a totally different way. Kyon is very bitter and sarcastic -- the grown-up who put away childish things long ago, and had come to accept the "real world" as being plainly uninteresting and boring (sort of "that's just the way it is"). However, over the course of the show, Haruhi adds a great deal of colour to his life; he finds himself falling in love with her eccentric, off-beat way of looking at the world and getting drawn into her latest adventures. The two points of view and perspectives complement each other perfectly. So at least from an anime perspective (I haven't read the novels yet), I'd say the show is aiming to achieve an equilibrium between Haruhi and Kyon -- they're going to find a way of appreciating "the real world" through each other. And in terms of the audience (who, at least in Japanese society, are probably more "Kyons" than "Haruhis"), there's not necessarily any harm in finding themselves wishing they could add a bit of colour to their own lives (and thus wanting to see whatever Haruhi comes up with next).

In terms of whether the fans "get the point", or not, though... well, who knows. There are different levels of appreciation/realization about these sorts of things. For some, it may be only a subtle undercurrent that they can't put their finger on, but contributes to their appreciation for the material. Although the chronological viewing does make more sense in light of the show's overall theme, the achronological order had advantages in terms of suspense, drama and mystery that made for interesting discussions at the time. So there are probably good reasons to appreciate both (and the producers of the show seem to agree).
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 22:33   Link #2456
Sol Falling

mm, I've had this discussion before. Yes, Kyon is also a character we can identify with, and is also a character who develops. I wouldn't necessarily say that his growth is learning to enjoy and accept Haruhi's antics, though. At least, not those whose aims are anti-social and unrealistic. I'll clarify what I mean by the show's "message", then.

Haruhi thinks "the world is boring, so I'll do something about it." Kyon thinks "the world is boring, but there's nothing anybody can do about it." What the novels are saying, and what the anime will eventually more clearly say (I dunno? I'd prefer season two to be achronological too, but the anime really has no substance without the character development) is that "people make the world interesting." As in, "doing stuff with friends is fun!" That's about it. If you think/look a bit carefully, neither Kyon nor Haruhi really have any friends when they meet (like, good friends. Significant people. I don't think Kyon could have cared less whether or not he knew Taniguchi/Kunikida--until Haruhi almost remade the world, at least ).

So my protest was, whether or not the SOS Brigade is engaged in wacky hijinks or just on a picnic in the mountains doesn't matter--as long as they do it together. Both the novels and anime are very funny--but watching the show just for the laughs is misled.

As for the merits of chronological versus aired order, I made some points in the thread discussing that. Basically, I think that the aired order is only worth watching for the first run (unless you're introducing the series to friends and are watching it with them, or something). Chronologically, though, the show is endlessly rewatchable. Well, I've done it 5 times, at least.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 19:03   Link #2457
Sepirts
Backward Stripes

I used to try to watch the series in some order after I finished it the first time. (aired, then chronological, then ep 1 then chrono) but then, I started making up my own orders, then I just watch the series all the time. Yeah I'm pretty crazy.
Sepirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 10:11   Link #2458
Dxon
Inactive Member

I have to say. The serie is very confusing with all those different orders...
This anime made think about life.. (wow.. First anime to do that with me.. ) I also think it would be fun to have aliens, time travellers and espers.. But I know they just dont exist. That makes me sad. Since I want to snap out of this boring life. Always the same. Different thing happening is going up classes in school getting a job and stuff. But same thing is the daily routine on a normal day (The days that happen the most)
- waking up
- breakfast
- go to work/school
- get back home
- do homework/fun time
- dinner
- do homework/fun time
- sleep

Then it comes back at the top. BORING!!!
Hellooooooohoooo!!! ALIENS OUT THERE!!! (if you are there...) COME OUT TO MAKE LIFE INTERESTING SUCKA's!!!!
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 10:20   Link #2459
mikoo
Banned

Quote:
Haruhi is now the official mascot character of the Beijing Olympics. Kind of.
It looks like a text book that teaches primary school children all about the Olympics.
http://www.dannychoo.com/fauna_detai...lympic+Haruhi/

mikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 10:33   Link #2460
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo View Post
China. Land of the Rising Bootleg.
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen