Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-12-19, 19:55   Link #81
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Same here... I put off my thoughts on the OP's question because I was stewing on how to answer (among other things :P). The OP question was how one's *TASTES* in anime personalities differed from their tastes in real life people. Not necessarily whether one preferred one or the other.
That's also a good question. I'd say that in real life I'm looking for a member of my preferred gender that makes me think, challenges me and provides me with a new perspective on life so that everything else becomes more interesting for being in their presence. Oh, and sex appeal is definitely a plus!

In anime I'm just looking for a fun stereotype who makes me smile to see them and how they live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
However, I also tend to have a broad spectrum of personality types I like .... about the only type I *don't* like in anime are the submissive servant anime archetypes -- the "let me bring you tea and be your mommy" types. And fortunately, in real life, even people who exhibit that trait tend to be more complex.
Oh dear yes. Those kinds give me tsurris. It's like, "Get your own life first, then I'll think of you as a person instead of a toy."

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 03:55   Link #82
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

BetoJR:
I'm going to try and keep this short to avoid the wall of text effect.
Upon further reflection, I've seen the kind of awkward but interested geek you describe too, and in fact I'd say some of the members I've seen join our club since the Valentine's Day thing probably fit this category. That said, I'm also very familiar with the type of geek who always has some hobby to be tinkering with rather than meeting girls. I assume they have some sort of "fantasies", but there seems to be little drive among this group to put them into reality.

I'm not sure I've seen many guys around here oogle cosplayers, but I can definately understand the attraction. Unfortunately my favourite cosplayer from my last convention is still a couple years short of what I'd consider acceptable for a date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Personally, I prefer real life members of my preferred gender, not because of appearance or personality, but for a reason that hasn't even been mentioned yet. I like real life people because they can surprise me. No matter how sweet, cure, tsundere, complicated, cool, sexy or whatever you like best in an anime person, they never challenge me.
This really is just a manifestation of the fact one is real and one isn't, and why even a fairly introverted, geeky type like myself still talks to people. That said, as a writer, I have trouble with the idea that a fictional character can't challenge someone. My characters are essentially a manifestation of my thoughts, they may not be able to challenge you of their own will but if they aren't challenging you at all... it means I'm not pushing the right buttons.

Bottom line, though, is that I don't think anyone here can make a really compelling argument against 3D being more dynamic and lifelike, while 2D is clearly superior at fulfilling certain types of fantasy. There may be overlap between the two, but there are also exclusive zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
However, I also tend to have a broad spectrum of personality types I like .... about the only type I *don't* like in anime are the submissive servant anime archetypes -- the "let me bring you tea and be your mommy" types. And fortunately, in real life, even people who exhibit that trait tend to be more complex.
I generally dislike this archetype too, but I also happen to own a Eruruu wallscroll nearly as tall as I am. Definitive proof that I'll go for anything in a charming enough package, I guess.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 04:10   Link #83
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Verbose thread ended up being tl;dr

Anyway, I tend to favor characters based on the same kind of traits I look for in real life women...For instance, the main personality trait I look for in women (But ultimately never find ) are those that are self-sufficient and are able to hold out on their own, sometimes usually synonymous with any personality that's without the naivete attitude, and also usually tomboy complex or forward types... Secondary traits usually come in with similar hobby interests, like military/firearm weaponry, photography, and bass/guitar...That laid out, equivalents when translated into anime characters have me naming characters like Yuna Akashi, Kazumi Asakura, and Modoka Kugimiya (All from Negima) as my favorite characters based on my outlines...

Of course, it only works in translation from real life traits to anime traits, as the reverse order of anime traits to real life traits doesn't tend to translate at all...
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 06:00   Link #84
Netevolution

It may not seem like it, but anime is only a shadow of the real thing. Trust me
Netevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 18:38   Link #85
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

The death note girls are quite pretty actually (without the big eyes) especially misa misa

Last edited by kk2extreme; 2008-12-28 at 22:16.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 20:52   Link #86
Sniper Wolf
Untamed,Solitary

It is a weird topic comparing real life people with anime people....fiction...i personally am very picky with guys but in animes there are so many anime boys who look attractive maybe that's why i like yaoi...j/k sorta but eh i do wish they were real but my taste can probably be familiar....for example mello from death note in real life i do like that style and look,long hair.but everyone feels different..i actually think i am pretty weird cause of that....
Sniper Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 01:57   Link #87
u43368
Disabled By Request

The kind of women I like in anime usually end up in maximum security prisons in real life.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 03:24   Link #88
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

You know, it occurs to me that big thing that separates those who merely prefer anime girls from those that probably won't get laid isn't their preference - it's what they're willing to settle for.

I don't think anime girls have personally put me in a worse position in terms of dating prospects - I of course see anime girls as fantasy, and have always realized I'll have to settle for reality. The one that's probably more dangerous for me is that the girls I meet online often seem far more interesting than those I know offline. I'm pretty sure that this is just that people tend to reveal more interesting stuff about themselves online (I wrote an essay on the topic for one class), but it's still hard not to feel like I'd be settling for less when I talk to most girls in real life.
Old 2008-12-27, 07:45   Link #89
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
I look at anime as a, if I can put it that way, an unfortunate and unfulfilled fantasy, because anime girls and guys are often portrayed in a way that none IRL being can be. For example, we have friendships between few guys which is portrayed in a light that is almost unthinkable to see in our world. They are often encountered with some disaster, or they are fighting for the sake of mankind, or some other reasons, and they usually talk about those situations. But from time to time, we see their regular talks and they appear nothing as two normal guys would. In anime they would talk about various topics and only scratch the surface when talking about girls saying stuff like ''Do you like her? Is she cute?'' and in some we see that they would use a word like ''hot'' and ''sexy'', words to describe the opposite sex.

But for our real world talk, we see guys talking about entertainment, school/callege/buissiness and girls. But my problem is the talk about girls where, at least how I see things around my parts, they describe girls nothing but a sex object adding inappropriate names and adding that topic as soon as some girl would pass by, saying stuff like ''Man check out her chest/ Look at that ass!'' and other stuff where the opinions and reaction of guys reach the the ones close to a regular animal. I know that most of us is like that, including myself sometimes because I love girls, it's just that I respect them and don't go on and on about them every time , but that is just my thought, so don't flame me with stuff like ''look at your sig!''

In anime we have regular perverts, but even those guys who are interested in their own goals and the ones which concentrate into fighting or obtaining something where girlfriend appears along that way. Of course, if we were in their skin maybe we would be like that as well, who knows.

The same I can say for girls where in anime they appear as a shy or a fighter type, but they always have something cute in them like their determination, different approach on certain things, their never ending love towards you etc. But that is mostly all fantasy, and, it's unfortunate and hard to find something like that IRL.

As for the real girl, I just wished if she would respect my opinions and love towards certain things, although to like at least some stuff like I do so we can share opinions. Now if I were to be in anime, I think I would like 90% of them
Old 2008-12-27, 09:25   Link #90
xeqtR
<3 Belldandy. =D

Send a message via MSN to xeqtR
I like anime girl better, although its hard to find some in the real world,
if theres one, just like the anime girl,
Ohhh. maybe its paradise,.
xeqtR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 18:01   Link #91
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think its hilarious how few people are actually answering the OP question. It doesn't ask whether people prefer one over the other. It asks if there are DIFFERENCES between one's preferences in anime characters from one's preferences in real life people.

For example, I happen to be fond of small petite assertive women in real life .... which bear a fair resemblance to the "loli-tsundere" characters I like in some anime. So in my case, there's an overlap -- I prefer capable assertive personalities with side of 'dere' (whatever their other facets: sword, tall, quiet, loud, short, etc).
Old 2009-01-01, 01:37   Link #92
Hentanimanga
Memory Bank

Send a message via Yahoo to Hentanimanga
Yeah, um, I really like anime chicks, and I really like real chicks, but I sort of like in anime characters like an earlier Chi of chobits & Nyuu from Elfen Lied (Not Lucy, Nyuu).
Ya know ignorant to the point that you can get them to do anything.

On the other hand, in real life I like the same sort of body type, but a different personality, one who's mean and takes control of all situations. Like Asa or Sia from SHUFFLE!

By the way, I just love short women, like 5'3, even though I'm 6'1. I just like getting pushed around by cute and petite bodied, but boistrous, chicks
Hentanimanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 15:42   Link #93
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Hentanimanga's post just made me realize that I never discussed what sort of personality types beyond that my preference in both anime characters and real women is for nerdy types.

In the case of real women, I look for three things: first, the girl should be legal. Second, that she has a level of intelligence similar to mine. I want someone I can talk to about a wide variety of topics and have her be on the same page (I think this also explains why I like slightly nerdy types). Third, I look for girls who aren't confrontational. This doesn't mean they have to be shy or submissive, it just means I dislike "looking for a fight, shove opinions down my throat" types. I hate talking to such people, so it's no surprise that I wouldn't pursue a relationship with one.

While I don't specifically look for shy girls in real life, I really like such girls in anime. However, I only have vague memories of actually having meet any shy girls in real life, so that may be part of the issue.

I would tend to consider myself very practical minded in terms of my picks in real life, whereas some anime girls get on my list for being interesting or just plain exotic characters. I tend to think this is why I sometimes feel like I'm settling for less with my real life choices. I keep having to remind myself that "interesting" and a good match are not necessarily the same thing.

And just to throw something in concerning physical attraction, I love animal-eared girls in my anime. In real life, I'm attracted to people who cosplay such characters at conventions, but the attraction just isn't as strong. As greatful as I am to the Eruruu cosplayer who let me hold her tail in a photo at my last con (possibly the ballsiest request I've ever made of a girl - yeah, I know), it's just not the same when you know she's faking the reaction.
Old 2009-01-01, 19:15   Link #94
GreatTeacherKen

Hmm, this is a tricky question for me.

There are anime girls that I would most certainly like in real life (Nagisa from CLANNAD, Miyako from ef, Shiori from Kanon) but at the same time, there are others that I might not (Revy from Black Lagoon, Haruhi Suzumiya before she softens a bit in the chronologically later episodes)

I don't know if there's any particular pattern in my tastes.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 19:19   Link #95
Snider
Banned

Hmm...2d girls are pretty interesting mostly because you can find a lot of types, some personalities found in anime cannot be found in real world
Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 21:56   Link #96
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snider View Post
Hmm...2d girls are pretty interesting mostly because you can find a lot of types, some personalities found in anime cannot be found in real world
No, you can generally find these kinds of people if you find hard enough. Its just that their personalities do not lean to any one side (i.e too dere dere or too shy). People have personalities that are shaped by different factors and depending on the day and situation it can vary from one to another.

Personalities for real people overlap just as Vexx said about his preferences. Although I've yet to find a dominatrix kind of girl in this side of the world.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 23:09   Link #97
onehp
Banned

1) The similarities are typical female attractive appearances, but not to the extreme like ginormous breasts. It doesn't matter what she wears because I find any female can be attractive in any clothing so long as it follows certain patterns, like the clothings showing the curves.

Personality wise, I have to check 3D personality to see if she is of acceptable standards. There will be exceptions. In anime, all I look for is some interesting personality that grabs me.

Last edited by onehp; 2009-01-01 at 23:33.
onehp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 15:40   Link #98
Robotnik
Not a member

This thread has given me a lot of laughs (most at my own expense), because it's made me think of old girlfriends, crushes and one-sided loves in anime character terms.

Without stretching things too much I now realize I've been involved in real life with several tsunderes and bokukko, although I wouldn't claim them as my favored "types". My tastes in apperance and personality have been all over the board and I'm tempted to say that my tastes in 2D and 3D just overlap so much that it's hard to tell where one influenced the other.

But that would be a lie.

The one clear instance of anime and manga influencing my real-life attractions is to the dreaded dojikko! Yes, I love the lovably clutzy, clumsy, often ditzy type!

Sure, when taken to the extreme it can be very hard on the dishes and glassware (and health insurance), but when blended well with other traits it's that extra bit of moé that tops everything off. And that's as much of a self-analysis as I'm willing to go into...
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 10:15   Link #99
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
While I don't specifically look for shy girls in real life, I really like such girls in anime. However, I only have vague memories of actually having meet any shy girls in real life, so that may be part of the issue.
One of the main problem, I think, about making comparisons between real people and fictional characters is that most of the time, the characters you see in animes have "no secrets" in the eye of the viewers. You can see what the character does, what she/he "is thinking" etc. There are no guesses, you can catch their real opinions, personality etc. for sure.

IRL, you can't read people's minds. For example, a person can be shy and try to hide it. So a lot of people don't see him/her as shy, while he/she is, and show his/her true personality only to a few people. You may be able to see the real side if you become close to that person, but since you might think from the start that she/he is not your type, then you will never know the truth.

It's easier to understand the characters from animes because most of the time, you know everything about them. IRL you can only guess what they think and you can't be sure that you are right about what you think of them. While it would be easy to start a discussion with an anime character since you know what they think for sure, it's more difficult to do the same with real people.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 14:48   Link #100
Ahiru77
あひる

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroni View Post
The kind of women I like in anime usually end up in maximum security prisons in real life.
I lol'ed...XD
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote