Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-09, 02:33   Link #1
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Big-O

So I just had the great pleasure of watching season 2 of Big-O. I hadn't watched the first half of the series for quite some time, but I remembered enough to get me along. However, while I loved the ending, it left me quite confused. Does anybody have any ideas as to exactly what was going on? Oh, I've read a theory or two and I'm currently searching for others.

The one serious theory I've found so far argued that:

Spoiler:

I've also heard people complain that the story is simply a mess because of the odd way in which it was contracted. The sheer quality of the anime, itself, seems to deny this criticism in my eyes. I think there definitely must be an explanation, albeit one that wasn't conveniently handed to viewers in the end.

So, any ideas?

Note to Mods: I have no idea whether this thread exists purely because the search function does not allow me to search for either "big" or "o" and turns up nothing for "big-o". If such a thread exists, well, do your thing.
Old 2004-11-09, 14:24   Link #2
Fronzel
Schmuck

I'm terrible at this sort of thing, but I remember what one Big O page told me; that, in computer science, such a thing called "big o notation" exists, used for expressing the ammount of time it takes for an algorithm to run.

Maybe this one takes 40 years, hm?

Er....

The floodlights above the clouds over the city seem a clear symbol that the whole situation is contrived.
Old 2004-11-09, 15:12   Link #3
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Damn server crashed and I lost my post

Big o Ending
Spoiler:
Phew! 2nd time because of dumb server is busy message.
Old 2004-11-09, 17:10   Link #4
Poops
Viva Monster Union.

Wow. That's real trip man. I'd have to get pretty high to understand that.

What was the deal with the children with the barcodes that roger had flashes of?
Old 2004-11-09, 17:32   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
Note to Mods: I have no idea whether this thread exists purely because the search function does not allow me to search for either "big" or "o" and turns up nothing for "big-o". If such a thread exists, well, do your thing.
There isn't one, but here's a search tip: When a show's title is made of words less than 4 letters search for the names of main characters. I searched for Roger Angel or Roger Dorothy and only found this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poops
What was the deal with the children with the barcodes that roger had flashes of?
Those are flashes of reality. The kids are the tomatoes.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-11-09, 20:08   Link #6
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Out of the whole series the plot point I didn't get was RD.
We know it was Dorothy but in the 2nd season that plot point was written out. And just concentrated on Tomatoes and Mecha fights (Not that I didn't enjoy those )
Old 2004-11-09, 20:13   Link #7
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
There isn't one, but here's a search tip: When a show's title is made of words less than 4 letters search for the names of main characters.
DOH!

Anyway, I've done some searching since last night, and nobody seems to agree on exactly what the series meant. There is an entire (large) forum devoted to discussing theories at a site called Paradigm city.

In fact, there is apparently a large number of people clamoring for a third season.

In addition, the creators seem to have said that they would like to continue the story as well and have nearly admitted that it IS an incomplete work.

The two theories above are both possible, but neither seems terribly complete.

I know that I will be purchasing season 1 in the next few days to rewatch it and look for clues. One thing is certain: I really loved this whole series.
Old 2004-11-09, 20:17   Link #8
Diplomat
Traceur

Send a message via AIM to Diplomat Send a message via MSN to Diplomat
so there's only two seasons? i got the first on dvd might go out and buy the second
Old 2004-11-10, 10:42   Link #9
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat
so there's only two seasons? i got the first on dvd might go out and buy the second
yeah, I would wait a couple of weeks, though. The second season is supposed to come out as one package for 40-50 dollars in a couple of weeks! hope you like it
Old 2004-11-10, 15:01   Link #10
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

The only problem with your theory there wsheit is that at the end right before the reset occured
Spoiler:
That's why your theory isn't quite a good fit. The strange scene at the end is where everyone thinks there is a 3rd season.
Old 2004-11-11, 04:30   Link #11
Fronzel
Schmuck

I wonder what a third season would be like....strange as hell as it may be, it did kind of have an air of finale to it.

On a tangental note, Let's all thank Cartoon Network for putting up some of the cash for Big O 2.
Old 2007-12-28, 01:54   Link #12
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Well doesn't seem like it has a lot of fans

I just finished watching the whole series and i love it a lot the first season was so much more interesting then the second season
Old 2007-12-28, 13:58   Link #13
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Once a series is over and goes R1, it rarely gets talked about.

The only reason Big-O even has posts is that it is probably the first anime that was released in English before in Japanese.

1st Season - Japanese - Cancelled
2nd Season - English - Finished...but cancelled

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2007-12-28, 17:47   Link #14
Aquifina

Big O was the series that actually first got me into anime, despite a youthful and brief exposure to Robotech; I thought the first season downright brilliant, and the second... well, disappointing. Actually, in my less generous moments, I'd call it a pretentious mess. The action scenes were great, along with the general "style" of the show, but what I liked the most was the interactions between Roger and Dorothy and Angel--the second season had enough of that to save it for me, and the style was still strong, but I really felt the weird plot of the second season a distraction more than anything else.
Old 2007-12-28, 20:36   Link #15
Robotnik
Not a member

Big O's still one of my favorite shows, and one of the first I collected on DVD.

There's definitely a big disjoint between the first and second seasons, due in great part to the number of years that passed between the cancellation of the first season and the production of the second. Art-wise, the reused first season footage (with everything black-outlined, as was the norm then) is jarringly out of place in the second season, when colored outlining had become typical. The writer and director had also gone onto different things, and IMO it's nearly impossible to revisit an earlier work and reconnect with that original vision, since *you* will have changed and grown in that time.

Years ago, over at the Paradigm City forums (now archived), there was also speculation that Cartoon Network (who co-produced the second season) forced story and "standards and practices" changes on the series. I don't believe anything was proven conclusively, but I'll at least point out that the smoke-filled bar where Roger meets his informant is suddenly a non-smoking zone in the second season. Makes you wonder...

As for the ending, I took it as a "life goes on" type of ending, or more precisely a "life *should* be allowed to go on" ending.
Spoiler for anyone who hasn't finished the show:
Old 2007-12-28, 22:06   Link #16
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
Big O's still one of my favorite shows, and one of the first I collected on DVD.

There's definitely a big disjoint between the first and second seasons, due in great part to the number of years that passed between the cancellation of the first season and the production of the second. Art-wise, the reused first season footage (with everything black-outlined, as was the norm then) is jarringly out of place in the second season, when colored outlining had become typical. The writer and director had also gone onto different things, and IMO it's nearly impossible to revisit an earlier work and reconnect with that original vision, since *you* will have changed and grown in that time.

Years ago, over at the Paradigm City forums (now archived), there was also speculation that Cartoon Network (who co-produced the second season) forced story and "standards and practices" changes on the series. I don't believe anything was proven conclusively, but I'll at least point out that the smoke-filled bar where Roger meets his informant is suddenly a non-smoking zone in the second season. Makes you wonder...

As for the ending, I took it as a "life goes on" type of ending, or more precisely a "life *should* be allowed to go on" ending.
Spoiler for anyone who hasn't finished the show:
Your interpretation of the ending strikes me as about what I thought the ending was, although I haven't seen it in ages. I really should revisit the series, though; it certainly had its moments.

I actually thought the basic premise had great potential; if everyone really had such a case of mass amnesia, then how would individuals figure out how to get on with their lives, and re-establish their identities. And in Dorothy's case, this was especially important, because, well, she was a robot created to be a replacement for someone else. But I just thought the second season got overly infatuated with being mysterious and obscure, and swamped the characters in an increasingly convoluted plot.

All that being said, I think the series sorta ended okay; it seems clear now there won't be a season 3, but if it was just more confusion, I would see that as pointless.
Old 2008-09-20, 08:33   Link #17
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
That's why your theory isn't quite a good fit. The strange scene at the end is where everyone thinks there is a 3rd season.
That and Cartoon Network having apparently optioned another 26 episodes when they commissioned the second 13.
Old 2008-09-20, 22:55   Link #18
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
That and Cartoon Network having apparently optioned another 26 episodes when they commissioned the second 13.
Welll an option is an option. They don't have to exercise it, but they have first chance and the gig.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2008-09-21, 02:53   Link #19
Robotnik
Not a member

Options usually have an "expiration date" and we may well be past that, considering how long long it's been since the end of the second series. Also, IIRC the original "anime friendly" group at Cartoon Network/Adult Swim who helped bring us the second season in the first place have moved on as well - their departure (removal?) brought us a brief period of *no* anime on AS. And frankly, CN would probably prefer to fund more of their (ugh) original shows (or a more shounen-y anime) than try to revive Big O again after five years.
Old 2008-09-21, 16:02   Link #20
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
Options usually have an "expiration date" and we may well be past that, considering how long long it's been since the end of the second series. Also, IIRC the original "anime friendly" group at Cartoon Network/Adult Swim who helped bring us the second season in the first place have moved on as well - their departure (removal?) brought us a brief period of *no* anime on AS. And frankly, CN would probably prefer to fund more of their (ugh) original shows (or a more shounen-y anime) than try to revive Big O again after five years.
Well, as far as I've heard, Big O ended with the second season, and even that was never supposed to air. The creators(?) in Japan only wanted the first season, and that's it. The second season was really rushed, you can tell this much by the lack of opening credits... (But this is only a rumor I heard a while ago....)
Also, what's the significance of Paradigm City actually being New York City?
Closed Thread