Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2010-07-16, 03:43   Link #661
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomenasai View Post
I want to start the macross series but being there are so many out there I don't know what order to watch them in. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could list the order in which to watch it.
You'll find a list of all Macross anime in chronological order over at the Macross FAQ.
ElvenPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 11:31   Link #662
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath View Post
You'll find a list of all Macross anime in chronological order over at the Macross FAQ.
Yeah...but watching them in "chronological order" is a dumb way to do it (mostly because Macross Zero makes a terrible first foray into the world of Macross). Production order is much better way to go about it:

1. SDF Macross (1982-83)
2. Do You Remember Love (1984)
3. Flashback 2012 (1987)
4. Macross II (1992-93)
5. Macross Plus (1994-95)
6. Macross 7 (1994-95)
7. Macross Dynamite 7 (1997)
8. Macross Zero (2002)
9. Macross Frontier (2008)
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 16:14   Link #663
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Yeah...but watching them in "chronological order" is a dumb way to do it (mostly because Macross Zero makes a terrible first foray into the world of Macross). Production order is much better way to go about it:
I couldn't agree more. But, speaking as someone who does love the series, you can even skip Macross 7. I would recommend watching it, but you don't need to.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 08:20   Link #664
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Will agree with Yot-chan's list, and not with Beto saying you can skip Macross 7, because everyone should watch that show.
Old 2010-07-19, 14:43   Link #665
erfine
hugs@Ranka

Quote:
Yeah...but watching them in "chronological order" is a dumb way to do it (mostly because Macross Zero makes a terrible first foray into the world of Macross).
The Macross series that I ever watched was Zero, and I found it quite enjoyable. I waded through SDFM after finishing Frontier, and while I can appreciate its position as a "classic", I found it to be an incredibly tedious watch at times, especially towards the end. Also, SDFM's approach to themes such as cultural imperialism and assimilation are handled rather poorly in comparison to its successors, if you're viewing the series critically. Personally, I don't think I could have stomached watching it first.

---

Macross isn't afraid to reinvent itself, so if you find a series that doesn't gel well with you, you might find something more to your taste by skipping on to the next series in the list. Unless you're absolutely determined to finish them all, of course.
erfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 21:50   Link #666
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfine View Post
The Macross series that I ever watched was Zero, and I found it quite enjoyable. I waded through SDFM after finishing Frontier, and while I can appreciate its position as a "classic", I found it to be an incredibly tedious watch at times, especially towards the end. Also, SDFM's approach to themes such as cultural imperialism and assimilation are handled rather poorly in comparison to its successors, if you're viewing the series critically. Personally, I don't think I could have stomached watching it first.

---

Macross isn't afraid to reinvent itself, so if you find a series that doesn't gel well with you, you might find something more to your taste by skipping on to the next series in the list. Unless you're absolutely determined to finish them all, of course.
True, true...different strokes an' all that. But my point is that SDFM sets up all the basic facts of the world of Macross very clearly in the first episode, while Zero assumes you have already seen either the TV show or DYRL, and thus already know what the Macross is, know who the Protoculture were, and know why the armed forces are using VFs.

As such, while I think Zero is great little OVA, with absolutely, flat-out stunning battle scenes, it doesn't introduce the "world" of Macross as well as the original series does.
Old 2010-07-19, 21:55   Link #667
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:

As such, while I think Zero is great little OVA, with absolutely, flat-out stunning battle scenes, it doesn't introduce the "world" of Macross as well as the original series does.
That is why Macross Zero remained an OVA and not a TV-series

It was for fans. And maybe an appetizer for potential converts

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 12:49   Link #668
Trudy

I went through the Light Novel discussion thread in full and didn't find anything pertaining to this.

Is there anything in the light novels about Sheryl's parents--who they were, or how they died? Is she aware of her ancestory (e.g., that she was related to Mao)?

Thanks again for any details you can offer.
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-01, 08:06   Link #669
TyG3R

Quote:
Well the light novels (which are canon and proofed by Kawamori, IIRC) confirmed that Sheryl and Alto slept together then. Yeah, it's great.
It's this for real ? Proofs ?
Old 2010-08-01, 10:50   Link #670
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyG3R View Post
It's this for real ? Proofs ?
This was confirmed months ago by those who had a copy of the novel, including myself. You can find confirmations of this by backtracking posts or by the comments posted on Amazon Japan.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2010-08-01, 12:26   Link #671
TyG3R

Great , thanks.

That's what i wanted to know.
Old 2010-08-01, 12:32   Link #672
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
This was confirmed months ago by those who had a copy of the novel, including myself. You can find confirmations of this by backtracking posts or by the comments posted on Amazon Japan.

- Tak
Are those comments in English? Because to us non-initiated, reading Kanji is kinda impossible.
Old 2010-08-01, 13:04   Link #673
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Are those comments in English? Because to us non-initiated, reading Kanji is kinda impossible.
Well, we were talking about those comments a while back, too

- Tak

Old 2010-09-20, 23:07   Link #674
Kudryavka

Can somebody translate the Nyan Nyan song from Chinese?

Quote:
Hao chi lai lai
Mei gu niang!

Niang niang, niang niang
Ni hao niang!

Gorgeous, delicious, deculture!
Mainly, what is niang niang?

And also, so, are they living on the spaceship in Macross 1? And have daily life there? Not on a planet?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 23:23   Link #675
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Can somebody translate the Nyan Nyan song from Chinese?

Mainly, what is niang niang?

And also, so, are they living on the spaceship in Macross 1? And have daily life there? Not on a planet?
"Niang" means "girl," but it's also the name of the restaurant: "Nyan-Nyan."

But yeah, if I recall correctly (I asked quite a while back), it simply means, "How are you? come, come, pretty girl. Nyan-Nyan, Nyan-Nyan, hello girl. Gorgeous, Delicious, Holy shit!"
Old 2010-09-20, 23:26   Link #676
Kudryavka

Quote:

But yeah, if I recall correctly (I asked quite a while back), it simply means, "How are you? come, come, pretty girl. Nyan-Nyan, Nyan-Nyan, hello girl. Gorgeous, Delicious, Holy shit!"
Holy shit that's good food? Thanks.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 08:32   Link #677
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:

Actually, the name of the restaurant is "Niang-Niang". My translator found the Chinese to make sure he got the name correct. The part about looking like a cat in the commercials is a play on the name since it sounds like "Nyan-Nyan"(the sound a cat makes - plus it's Japanese, unlike the name of the restaurant).
Old 2010-09-21, 08:43   Link #678
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, you do learn something new every day.
I always thought it was actually "Nyan-Nyan", really.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 10:36   Link #679
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Holy shit that's good food? Thanks.
Bah, Yotty exaggerates. Deculture can simply mean 'awesome'.

- Tak

Old 2010-09-23, 19:27   Link #680
moncikoma

Anybody know when is sheryl birthday? ... What her size and is she a virgin...? I heard she got raped while she was still a little girl... I forgot where I read it...some forum.. Maybe
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a