AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-23, 13:59   Link #1301
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Pretty much agree with FRS above. Hate is overblown and the whole thing makes more sense in context of the two previous eps as well. I'm a bit in the longing for some more real fighting now, though. Hopefully it will come soon enough.

Still, keep up the delicious TSF CGI.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 14:05   Link #1302
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
If the BETA are that stupid, what does that say about humanity considering they're on the brink of extinction thanks to them? You're severely underestimating them just to prove that Yuuya doesn't need the experience. What was the point of showing how savage and destructive they were in the first 2 episodes? From what I can gather about the simulations, they're the minimum requirements necessary to fight and understand the BETA; but the chances of you surviving are still low even if you ace the simulation. However if you struggle the way Yuuya did, you're toast.
The BETA are winning because they have insane numbers. They're zerg-rushing everything. But tactics? I have yet to see anything even remotely resembling complicated tactics, and certainly no tactics that are "beyond humanity's ability to predict."

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
At the same time, I still wonder why Yuuya declared outright to Yui that she was a Japanese Doll at the end of episode 3, before the chain of provocations in this episode.
That was an inner monologue, not an outright declaration. Yeah, he was upset at Yui brushing him aside like that and for good reason. I mean, "I'm disappointed with you" is not exactly what I call constructive criticism, especially when, by all means, he'd won that mock battle. What she did there was more what I would call an insult.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 14:16   Link #1303
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The BETA are winning because they have insane numbers. They're zerg-rushing everything. But tactics? I have yet to see anything even remotely resembling complicated tactics, and certainly no tactics that are "beyond humanity's ability to predict."
I don't necessarily disagree with that but it doesn't change the fact that actual combat with the BETAs is different from a simulated enviornment where you have the benefit of additional information (which is what Yui mentioned).
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 14:31   Link #1304
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree with that but it doesn't change the fact that actual combat with the BETAs is different from a simulated enviornment where you have the benefit of additional information (which is what Yui mentioned).
not to mention
in a simulated environment you will feel safe unlike real battlefield
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 14:34   Link #1305
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

What additional information? While I agree that, yes, no simulation can ever go against actually having your life on the line, I don't really see what additional information is lacking from the simulation.
Old 2012-07-23, 14:40   Link #1306
sikvod00

The information refers to what Yui said in the latest episode: knowing the enemies' numbers, abilities, and actions in advance.
Old 2012-07-23, 14:48   Link #1307
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Next episode implies the vs with Yui using her personalized TSF. Yuuya doesn't even has one.
As things stand right now, if Yui wants to personally show Yuuya how to use Japanese TSFs properly it would probably be better to show him what the "unusable" training TSF can do (it's probably better than what Yui had in ep 2)... though really, giving that training TSF to one of the other test pilots to practice with would probably be much better.

Right now, Yuuya's problem seems to be that he isn't even seriously trying and is more going through the motions - and putting more effort into complaining and paranoia.

Though maybe he'll like the 'real' unit more than the training unit (which seems to be hurting his pride).
Old 2012-07-23, 14:54   Link #1308
hoarfrost

The social commentary in this episode strikes me as odd. Yuuya's mother responds to her father's negative generalizations of the Japanese with positive generalizations, defeating the entire purpose of pointing out that her husband is a human being too. Most people in America or Europe would respond by citing the merits of the individual himself, and saying that he can't be tarred with the brush of a group, whereas she undertakes the rather unrealistic task of defending the merits of a whole group of people.

I feel like the author was trying to make some tolerant point, but due to the vastly different mainstream attitudes of the Western and Asian world with regard to collectivism vs individualism (especially where it involves ethnicity) it came off as confused and ham handed.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 15:03   Link #1309
sikvod00

Collectivism and individualism are both important aspects of identity; I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. It's a balancing act, really. Sometimes citing the merits of the individual is insufficient to combat racism. That's because basically all Yuuya's mother would be doing is saying that her husband is individually a good person, even if he belongs to a group that's looked down upon. It's similar to saying "Oh, he's a Jap, but he's one of the good Japs" (i.e., exception to the rule). Who cares if an individual minority is considered equal to others if his own group is still treated like crap by society? It does nothing to stop prejudice against the group if you only care about the individuals. She wants her husband to seen as a good man anda Japanese person who has good characteristics like any other nationality. And the fact of the matter is that all (most) cultures, races, groups, nationalities, and etc. have noteworthy merits that others can admire and learn from (as well as negatives, of course).
Old 2012-07-23, 15:07   Link #1310
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
The information refers to what Yui said in the latest episode: knowing the enemies' numbers, abilities, and actions in advance.
.... which can all be simulated.

Though if you meant "what to do in an actual battle"

Numbers: Assume endless.
Abilities: All categorized and known quantities, and therefore a non-issue. BETA aren't exactly rapid evolving.
Actions: They will charge at you.

Still not seeing this whole "we can't predict the BETA" speech here.
Old 2012-07-23, 15:07   Link #1311
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
Having watched ep 4 i have to side with Yui, Yuuya deserve that trashing, he may have the talent but he does not seem to be willing to adapt to the situation and always push the blame around him:

At the end of ep 3 he trying to play the macho nationalistic card and got shoot down in flames but hey it's the japanese girl fault not his never.

In this episode he disrespect her in front of the squad, he tried to play the hero and got himself encircled but of course it's the fault of the mech, he doesnt even have the decency to thanks her when she bailed him out of the russian enclave and you are still wondering why as a superior officer Yui trashed him ?
+1. This episode shows that very clearly yet there is still a lot of people getting on Yui's case and how such a bitch she is. So if what Yui did makers her a bitch, what does that make Yuuya? A hero? She may be acting like a bitch but Yuuya at the same time is also acting like a total ass. In addition to acting like an ass, he's also acting like an ass to his superior officer.

Even though she is currently having problems with Yuuya, when Yuuya was caught in the Russian enclave, she still went and bail out her subordinate since it's her responsibility. What does he do in return?

I was so so shocked when she bailed him out and yet he disrepect her who is his superior officer. That's just very bad. I'm still very surprised after how much attitude Yuuya have been giving his superior officer, the only thing that happened back to him was verbal thrashing by Yui. I say that's very lenient already.

There's also another thing. He identifies himself as an American. True since he really is an American. However he also have his roots in Japan. He shouldn't be acting the way he did although it's understandable why but it's still wrong. I'm an American born Asian. I AM American. However when other American sees me, they first see me as an Asian then they see me as an American when they talk to me. In other words, I identify myself as an American but I'm Asian first and foremost as that's how others will see me. That's the thing Yuuya went through. He used to be proud of him Japanese side and American side. He however identifies himself as an American. Other people sees his Japanese side first and he was bullied because of it. He then decided to throw away his Japanese side. Even if is able to toss it aside, other people will still see him as part Japanese and part Caucasian and that will never change. What he should be doing is embrace his other side and show to other people that he is an awesome American that is Japanese. NOT show that he's an awesome American while the Japanese suck when he is in fact part Japanese.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 15:14   Link #1312
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post

Even though she is currently having problems with Yuuya, when Yuuya was caught in the Russian enclave, she still went and bail out her subordinate since it's her responsibility. What does he do in return?

I was so so shocked when she bailed him out and yet he disrepect her who is his superior officer. That's just very bad. I'm still very surprised after how much attitude Yuuya have been giving his superior officer, the only thing that happened back to him was verbal thrashing by Yui. I say that's very lenient already.
Why are you shocked? She had to bail out her pilot. In fact, he should have been briefed on not where to go in the area as part of his welcome to the base briefing. So basically, the base is at fault also.

It would have been nice if he had thanked her though. But still waters run deep.
Old 2012-07-23, 15:16   Link #1313
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
.... which can all be simulated.

Though if you meant "what to do in an actual battle"

Numbers: Assume endless.
Abilities: All categorized and known quantities, and therefore a non-issue. BETA aren't exactly rapid evolving.
Actions: They will charge at you.

Still not seeing this whole "we can't predict the BETA" speech here.
It is all simulated. That's the point. According to Yui, you don't know all that info. in advance when actually engaging BETAs.
*Shrugs* Now, if you don't believe what she said or think she's lying or exaggerating the enemies' unpredictability and capabilities, then we just disagree.
Old 2012-07-23, 15:21   Link #1314
shadow1296

i still dont get the connection with the silver haired russian sisters; if the MC's are yuuya and yui than why do i get the feeling they are going to be important
Old 2012-07-23, 15:35   Link #1315
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
i still dont get the connection with the silver haired russian sisters; if the MC's are yuuya and yui than why do i get the feeling they are going to be important
Because the promo pic for the series has Yui and the older sister on it. So that older girl is also technically an MC. She's also the second to get introduced in the OP after the title flash.
Old 2012-07-23, 15:35   Link #1316
Divini
Senpai!

In Yuuya's flashback, I can't take those Americans seriously when they show their prejudice to the Japanese when they're speaking Japanese themselves.

I know everyone speaks Japanese in anime but seriously.... I just can't.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 15:38   Link #1317
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
+1. This episode shows that very clearly yet there is still a lot of people getting on Yui's case and how such a bitch she is. So if what Yui did makers her a bitch, what does that make Yuuya? A hero? She may be acting like a bitch but Yuuya at the same time is also acting like a total ass. In addition to acting like an ass, he's also acting like an ass to his superior officer.

Yes, telling a new pilot "I'm disappointed in you" in rather rude terms (kisama is a rather unfriendly term to use) at the first conversation you have with a person, and then proceeding to tell him what basically amounts to "you're not Japanese enough" is certainly going to endear someone to be grateful, and gosh how strange it is when he's not exactly grateful when an officer does her duty and pulls him out of a fire he had no way of knowing would be there with the exact same discontent she has shown so far.

Let's face the music here, the one who started this whole mess was not Yuuya. Yui was the one who began tossing insults here.

Quote:
There's also another thing. He identifies himself as an American. True since he really is an American. However he also have his roots in Japan. He shouldn't be acting the way he did although it's understandable why but it's still wrong.
Bull. Yuuyi was born and raised in America, which makes him an American in body and mind. He is the one who decides which side of his blood he identifies with most. Him. Not anyone else. This line of thinking is exactly one of the angles where racism comes from.

Quote:
It is all simulated. That's the point. According to Yui, you don't know all that info. in advance when actually engaging BETAs.
*Shrugs* Now, if you don't believe what she said or think she's lying or exaggerating the enemies' unpredictability and capabilities, then we just disagree.
And yet what we see in this episode directly contradicts Yui's claims. Given that this is nor the first time Yui would be lying, the odds of me ruling things in her favor are rather slim...

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-07-23 at 15:53.
Old 2012-07-23, 15:41   Link #1318
sikvod00

^What contradiction are you talking about?
Old 2012-07-23, 15:48   Link #1319
orion

Quote:

There's also another thing. He identifies himself as an American. True since he really is an American. However he also have his roots in Japan..
How do you know that he still has roots in Japan? His father abandoned him and his mother apparently. We don't know the circumstances. But his American granddad wasn't amused. If he died and left Yuuya's mom a widow, then graddad wouldn't be angry.

And..any relatives in Japan could be dead post invasion.

And.. I agree with Keroko. Yuuya is the only one who should tell people what his identity is. He should not let anyone else decide for him. This happens with mixed race kids.
Old 2012-07-23, 15:54   Link #1320
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
^What contradiction are you talking about?
"You can't simulate BETA numbers, abilities and tactics!"

*Simulation proceeds to simulate BETA numbers, abilities and tactics*

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen