AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2011-05-27, 16:44   Link #1181
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

There's a rather affordable DVD version if you are intersted.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-27, 17:55   Link #1182
Valkyrur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I've waited a very long time, and finally the film is available to buy here in the UK. Picked up a copy this morning, and preparing myself for a rewatch tomorrow.
I know ... i heard from a friend it was out ...checked amazon Blu-ray still not released but dvd is ....

i want my blu ray

Why delay the inevitable ?
Valkyrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 00:16   Link #1183
Simon_Lord

Send a message via MSN to Simon_Lord
i also checked the Author's earlier work, also ordering them, they are easier to find. The environements are so real, it feels like i really was in Tokio's Bullet Train. <3
Old 2011-08-01, 18:36   Link #1184
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for manga:
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 09:24   Link #1185
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstellar View Post
since this is a film that makes people come back to it again and again most likely for decades to come.. this is what i did just now

it just occurred to me that this film is more concerned with a person's own inner self as in the memories buried within, rather than talking about childhood deep relationships which is generic by comparison. this is evidenced by the protagonist not chasing after his suspected childhood friend in the end which was entirely possible on foot with a woman's ~20 second walking distance.
I think this is right. The kiss is the most important moment in Takaki's life, but not finally for Akari's sake, but for what it enables him to understand about the nature and the experience of human life.

The key moment is of course Takaki's reflection narrated in a voice-over as they kiss:

Spoiler:

Shinkai seems to be saying that life and time are too vast to be contained by any one instant, no matter how important or moving, and therefore that even moments of transcendent love are inevitably transitory. This is a cause for unbearable sadness. But at the same time, the moments have an immediacy of passion and beauty that are valuable for their own sake. Takaki puts away his "anxieties" and surrenders to the pure experience of the Akari's kiss.

What is left afterwards, but a memory? one that is both beautiful and sad: beautiful, since it retains this moment of love, and sad, since the memory also records the moment's loss. The cherry blossoms and the snow become metaphors for our lives: we are always falling into death, and that is our experience of life--beauty and love, gained and lost, again and again.

Byōsoku Go Senchimētoru
is an outstanding expression of the Japanese aesthetic concept of mono no aware.
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 08:31   Link #1186
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
After watching Place Promised I decided to watch this.

5 cm per second, or 18m per hour, seems to carry on many of the themes of its predecessor, namely distance, and moving on, basically waking up from these long streams of poignant memories.

This was a rather depressing movie; with all the troubles taking a toll. Takaki seemed to really suffer with no direction in his life, unable to see someone that loves him in front, and even ended up quitting his job. It was unfortunate that everyone involved suffered such tunnel vision, and it seems that had Akari or Takaki had acted more strongly, this wouldn't have happened.

But such is life and 20/20 hindsight. Despite having the same thoughts and feelings, they couldn't act on them, and so all our leads suffered. Sometimes it just passes by. But at least by the end, they could move on, and the future always has something to offer.

One thing that really separates 5cm from other romances is that there's no real obsession over the "destined" one. Anime seems to have an obsession with having one couple as the one true, and pure one.

In 5cm, the romantic feelings are very strong, but just because they weren't together or even if they end up with other people doesn't mean the feelings were not valid. And this made the characters' feelings very real.

The visuals even managed to outdo Place Promised, which was already very good looking. In fact; it's some of the best I've seen for anime movies. But holy fuck, here, you're just completely stuck looking at all the beautiful scenery.

It goes with the name very well too, 5cm per second is a very slow speed, and when time moves slowly, it causes a lot of frustration in our cast here. The rocket was also a really good allegory, as travel through the cold vacuum of space would also be painfully tedious.

I guess I wasn't a big fan of the ending. The actual conclusion, whether they find a way back or not isn't too big of a deal, but I was still going like "wtf, this just ended?" A bit anticlimatic to say the least.

But in any case, I'll rate this a 9/10, since it's rare that this medium portrays romance in such an honest and somewhat realistic manner. Easily top tier when it comes to anime romance.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 02:32   Link #1187
YuriEcchiGirl

Such a beautiful & heartfelt story, I'm so glad I decided to buy this movie on DVD when I did
Old 2012-02-15, 00:26   Link #1188
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
After putting this off for years (like all anime movies I sort of want to see but not really), I finally sat down and watched it.

I kind of have mixed feelings about them not ending up together in the end. It's nice that it strayed from the typical cliche ending, but they didn't have to rub it in my face by having the guy become a depressed run of the mill officer worker who apparently hates his life, while the girl is getting married to someone she clearly enjoys and is apparently very happy with her life. It left me feeling somber, which I wasn't expecting. It turned out to be pretty damn depressing

It hurts most because I'm sure a lot of people (including myself) can relate in some way. I feel I'm slowly ending up the man Takaki became, it's kind of terrifying really...

(not to say I'm depressed or anything, my life is okay for the moment. )

btw, the island they're on in the the second episode makes my heart hurt. I'd love to live somewhere like that when I'm older.
Old 2012-02-15, 00:33   Link #1189
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
After putting this off for years (like all anime movies I sort of want to see but not really), I finally sat down and watched it.
On Valentine's Day? Oh man...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 02:38   Link #1190
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
The location might be somewhere that is already the 15th.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 11:31   Link #1191
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Hah, technically, Valentines Day was pretty much over when I starting watching it (Not that I have a GF or anything at the moment...) and I wasn't expecting it to be depressing, no one warned me!
Old 2012-02-15, 12:15   Link #1192
Miraluka
Banned

You never asked beforehand!

Yeah, the ending was kind of anticlimatics and it was a troll for romantic watchers, heck, it would have been NTR if the girl was keeping her relationship with the guy while enjoying her time with her new lover .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 20:07   Link #1193
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

This is definitely not a Valentine's Day movie. I'll have to suggest that my friend and his fiance watch it next Valentine's Day.
Old 2012-02-19, 00:43   Link #1194
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
This is definitely not a Valentine's Day movie. I'll have to suggest that my friend and his fiance watch it next Valentine's Day.
Doesn't that implies some else is in love with his fiance but will be forever alone?

Last edited by Miraluka; 2012-04-03 at 22:26. Reason: Typos.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 00:44   Link #1195
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrur View Post
I know ... i heard from a friend it was out ...checked amazon Blu-ray still not released but dvd is ....

i want my blu ray

Why delay the inevitable ?
That's because it's over here.
Old 2012-02-19, 09:01   Link #1196
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Doesn't that impies some else is in love with his fiance but will lonely forever?
Huh? I thought it was a joke about having people watch something not heart warming romantic on Valentine's Day.
Old 2012-04-03, 21:47   Link #1197
Somnus
Eh?

I've been meaning to watch this forever, but always stalled because I knew what to expect in the end. It stung just as much as I expected it to, but even so, what a beautiful watch. One of the tags on AniDB is "High Degree of Perfection", and honestly, I couldn't agree more.

It was so artistic, and at the same time so very realistic. Until the music video part I was so immersed in its brilliance. Though it's not "the story of my life" per-se, the scenarios could be related to very easily. Also, the very way this movie approached the passage of time was flawless. Even though there were time skips, it felt as if you could have easily pictured the time that wasn't shown on screen all the same. Needless to say a flood of nostalgia and thoughts about my own past had immediately surfaced after the movie finished.

This is probably the most positive I'll ever feel about a "sad" movie. Usually an ending I don't take a liking to (sad in some way, too many things left unresolved, etc.), or doesn't fit with the rest of the series will ruin the entire run for me. This however, is the exception.

Though honestly, I probably couldn't watch it again. The feelings behind this unrequited love is really hard for this heart to handle. It tugs too damn hard.
Old 2012-07-16, 19:50   Link #1198
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

did the novel have anything to add?

anyway wondering if any of you heard this theory

Spoiler for Theory:

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 23:07   Link #1199
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

This anime... every time I hear "One more time, One more chance" I get this sinking feeling in my chest. No other anime makes me feel like this, I feel so sad every time.

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai