AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon 2006 Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 235 52.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 135 30.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 8.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 25 5.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 2.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 0.89%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.45%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-05-19, 01:30   Link #161
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I will get there. However, reading the summaries of the game and anime I'm not sure there's much room for variation there is in judging how it all plays out, especially since the anime and game are so similiar. Once I'm done things will still be the same because as crazy as it is, I've studied the Kanon story like crazy to the point where I know the events that happen in the anime before I see them play out in video and audio.

@Ascaloth: All I can say is wait. I may have shot myself in the foot by reading the plot before watching the episodes so its a bit slow, boring and predictable for me for obvious reasons (as it would be to read Fellowship of The Ring and then immediately thereafter start to watch the movie), but I intend to finish things by the end of the summer (hopefully). I will assure you that I know my Kanon story however.
It doesn't matter if you know your Kanon story. What matters is how willing you are to immerse yourself into it.

In that respect, you're being far too technical and robotic about it, looking only at the plotline instead of where its true strengths lie; in the emotional connections between the characters. Because of this, I hold little hope that you'll like Kanon even if you finish; you simply don't get media portrayal of interpersonal relationships, as can be evidenced by the rating you gave for Sola 03.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 01:47   Link #162
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I will get there. However, reading the summaries of the game and anime I'm not sure there's much room for variation there is in judging how it all plays out, especially since the anime and game are so similiar.
No, in fact, the anime has a finale never portrayed, as far as I know, by the game.

Quote:
Once I'm done things will still be the same because as crazy as it is, I've studied the Kanon story like crazy to the point where I know the events that happen in the anime before I see them play out in video and audio.
Uh... what kind of drug are you on? May I have some of that, which will allow me to see the object through other people's subjective conceptions of it, without needing the time to analyze the object myself to form my own subjective opinion?

I propose you modify your statements, then, and say: "I believe Kanon 2006, as far as 5 episodes go, sucks and is not worth of my time". That's it. No need to resort to a whole series judgment, and no one will force you to do that. You're free to watch a series as far as you want to take it--but don't go around making statements like you've watched carefully the series in its entirety and analyzed every aspect of it. After all, you might know its storyline, but Kanon 2006, as the year denotes it, is just an interpretation of a certain animation studio, just like Toei made its own interpretation a couple of years ago. Now, if it's Key what you don't like, why even bother to watch a series based on a Key game? Why even bother to comment about it, since you know you won't like it no matter how hard you discuss it?

EDIT: I think I found something really ridiculous. I just looked at the poll and you, my dear Kaioshin-kun, voted for a 7. Now how does that cope up with all your talk?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2007-05-19 at 01:59.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 01:56   Link #163
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Now, if it's Key what you don't like, why even bother to watch a series based on a Key game? Why even bother to comment about it, since you know you won't like it no matter how hard you discuss it?
Why ask why? Bud Dry! (I just had to do that!)

Quote:
I will get there. However, reading the summaries of the game and anime I'm not sure there's much room for variation there is in judging how it all plays out, especially since the anime and game are so similiar. Once I'm done things will still be the same because as crazy as it is, I've studied the Kanon story like crazy to the point where I know the events that happen in the anime before I see them play out in video and audio.
But you've studied the game story; the anime story is a different animal altogether.

EDIT: And Kanon 2K2 doesn't count!

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2007-05-19 at 02:07.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 02:05   Link #164
Ascaloth

Quote:
EDIT: I think I found something really ridiculous. I just looked at the poll and you, my dear Kaioshin-kun, voted for a 7. Now how does that cope up with all your talk?
Guy made a final decision before watching the show, that's how.
Old 2007-05-19, 02:13   Link #165
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Guy made a final decision before watching the show, that's how.
But for all the bashing, giving it a 7... well, we might just differ what a 7 means. Who knows.

Old 2007-05-19, 02:34   Link #166
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
But for all the bashing, giving it a 7... well, we might just differ what a 7 means. Who knows.
Like I've said, wait a little bit longer. I'm no slouch, I have done my research on the 2006 anime and the game and all will become clear. I understand your displeasure believe me, but I ask that you give me time to explain things as I run through the rest of the series. The reasoning behind the 7 will become clear I assure you.

@Ascaloth: My Sola 3 review is both manic and robotic because the summary is meant to be what I feel watching the episode as a splurge of thoughts and the reviewing is done in a strict formal manner that has me separate myself from the powerful feelings I have while watching the episode and review the episode on the merits I derive from it. Even though its not immediately apparent though, those evoked feelings are still taken into account inside my head, but in a way that they don't overwhelming influence my train of thought in rating things. That's just the way I prefer to make my reviews public. I could spruce things up I suppose for a change in an upcoming one, mix it around, kick it up a notch. Why not.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-19, 02:51   Link #167
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
The reasoning behind the 7 will become clear I assure you.
Actually, there's no way that could happen. Even if you in some stance or the other ended up with an opinion that justifies that 7, that's not gonna change my mind. Rating a series before watching it, basing yourself on the outsider experiences of other people, or solely on the source material, has no possible justification. No possible justification at all. Sorry, but I'm not buying anything you may present me with. How ridiculous would be a critic that bashes a LotR movie only because of the book on which it's based? As ridiculous as you, I presume. No matter how many 'research' you make about a series, if you don't watch it, there's no logic to rating it.

Of course, if you want to go and bias yourself before watching a series by reading detailed summaries of it, go ahead, but that doesn't make your critique very authentic. Unlike you, I went and watched the series without hearing a single remark about its storyline. The only things I knew were that it was immensely popular, and that it was based on a Key game. Only that. And thus, I may call my reaction to it much more authentic than yours, since you seem to have read the script before seeing it in action. And remember, anime is not all about storyline--it's about music, animation, voice acting, direction, execution; lots of things you can't just find in a sheet of paper that just details its plot.

Old 2007-05-19, 02:56   Link #168
Ascaloth

Quote:
Like I've said, wait a little bit longer. I'm no slouch, I have done my research on the 2006 anime and the game and all will become clear. I understand your displeasure believe me, but I ask that you give me time to explain things as I run through the rest of the series. The reasoning behind the 7 will become clear I assure you.

@Ascaloth: My Sola 3 review is both manic and robotic because the summary is meant to be what I feel watching the episode as a splurge of thoughts and the reviewing is done in a strict formal manner that has me separate myself from the powerful feelings I have while watching the episode and review the episode on the merits I derive from it. Even though its not immediately apparent though, those evoked feelings are still taken into account inside my head, but in a way that they don't overwhelming influence my train of thought in rating things. That's just the way I prefer to make my reviews public. I could spruce things up I suppose for a change in an upcoming one, mix it around, kick it up a notch. Why not.
The impression we're getting here, Kaioshin, is that throughout your reviews, you seem to be trying to justify the 7 you have already given, instead of working with a blank slate like the rest of us here have. And by blank slate, I didn't mean totally new to the story; I meant that the rest of us actually followed Kanon 2K6 week by week, not knowing for sure how it would turn out in the end, whether or not we have any preconceptions of the source material it was based off on. However, the way you do things, we can't help thinking that you merely read the synopsis AFTER it was done, made an on-the-spot judgement of whether you'll like this or not, and now doing everything in your power to convince yourself that you made a correct judgement. There's no avoiding skewed bias that way.

And I'm not especially interested in how you did your Sola 03 review; all I'm saying is that, from the looks of how you did it and the Kanon reviews thus far, I'm sure I can reasonably assume that you simply think of character development sequences as "boring dialogue"; all you care about is the plot. Which is why I said you've missed the point entirely; stories like Kanon and Sola derives much of its strengths from the interactions between characters, and plot is only the other half of it. That means it's almost a given that you're never going to like Kanon, or Sola for that matter; you simply don't care for the characters, and once you take that away in your reckoning, there goes the magic for you.

Hence, why you'll never get it. Unless, of course, you learn to appreciate it for what it is, and not what it's not.

EDIT: Wanderingknight keeps beating me to the punch. >_<

EDIT 2: Not only that, he's even more concise than I am. *bows to Wanderingknight* I'm not worthy!

EDIT: And I've noticed that Skyfall and Pellissier have been hanging around here a lot more than I expected them to.
LOL, can't blame them for worrying that the fuse is about to be put to the powder keg.
Old 2007-05-19, 03:15   Link #169
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Actually, there's no way that could happen. Even if you in some stance or the other ended up with an opinion that justifies that 7, that's not gonna change my mind. Rating a series before watching it, basing yourself on the outsider experiences of other people, or solely on the source material, has no possible justification. No possible justification at all. Sorry, but I'm not buying anything you may present me with. How ridiculous would be a critic that bashes a LotR movie only because of the book on which it's based? As ridiculous as you, I presume. No matter how many 'research' you make about a series, if you don't watch it, there's no logic to rating it.

Of course, if you want to go and bias yourself before watching a series by reading detailed summaries of it, go ahead, but that doesn't make your critique very authentic. Unlike you, I went and watched the series without hearing a single remark about its storyline. The only things I knew were that it was immensely popular, and that it was based on a Key game. Only that. And thus, I may call my reaction to it much more authentic than yours, since you seem to have read the script before seeing it in action. And remember, anime is not all about storyline--it's about music, animation, voice acting, direction, execution; lots of things you can't just find in a sheet of paper that just details its plot.
You haven't been reading my summaries have you. I do understand the meaning of all these things and have taken them into account. Sometimes its also hard to avoid being spoiled about a series, especially when you don't particular care if it happens or not. I have different ideas on what viewing a series constitutes as well to me knowing the details is the same as watching things play out. It doesn't mean it isn't worth it to watch things play out, but it has little to no impact. I'll respect the fact however that you don't see my rating as authentic. I can see why I cannot justify this too you at all. I think we can let this go now, I'll stop trying to justify things, but I ask you not begrudge me for my decision, however foolish you think it to be.

@Ascaloth: I think its safe to say from what I've heard that I will like Sola.
Old 2007-05-19, 03:29   Link #170
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Judging from your summaries, you haven't even got to episode 10, which was the one that made the click on me. I still fail to see how can you enjoy viewing a series in that fashion. I probably saw a storyline like Makoto's a hundred or more times, but when I saw it in Kanon, more specifically, in episode 10, I couldn't help crying. The only goddamn fucking time I cried while watching a movie or series or reading a book was Kanon 2006's episode 10. How can you spoil yourself from such an experience, I cannot understand. I'm not saying it has to make you cry. But spoiling yourself... beh. Go ahead, do what you want, I'm not gonna force you or anything. It still seems pretty ridiculous to me, but damn, there are so many ridiculous things in this world that I shouldn't get so worked up over something so trivial.

Old 2007-05-19, 03:38   Link #171
Ascaloth

Quote:
You haven't been reading my summaries have you. I do understand the meaning of all these things and have taken them into account. Sometimes its also hard to avoid being spoiled about a series, especially when you don't particular care if it happens or not. I have different ideas on what viewing a series constitutes as well to me knowing the details is the same as watching things play out. It doesn't mean it isn't worth it to watch things play out, but it has little to no impact. I'll respect the fact however that you don't see my rating as authentic. I can see why I cannot justify this too you at all. I think we can let this go now, I'll stop trying to justify things, but I ask you not begrudge me for my decision, however foolish you think it to be.

@Ascaloth: I think its safe to say from what I've heard that I will like Sola.
I don't see how hard it can be to avoid spoilers from a particular series. Sure, it might well apply to SHnY, but Kanon 2006 isn't the sleeper hit that its predecessor was; there isn't a horde of fanboys spreading Kanon tidbits all over the place. One can only assume that if you're spoiled about Kanon, it is only because you allowed yourself to be spoiled.

And what you just said confirms my suspicion; you care nothing for character development at all. No wonder you rated the first six episodes of Kanon, as well as Sola 03, as low as you did. Not that I'm saying you can't do that, but it is why everyone takes your words with a great deal of salt. And before you accuse me of victimizing you again, I'm the kind of guy who'll take even my own words with a good helping of salt.

EDIT: And he beats me to the punch AGAIN.
Old 2007-05-19, 04:24   Link #172
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I don't see how hard it can be to avoid spoilers from a particular series. Sure, it might well apply to SHnY, but Kanon 2006 isn't the sleeper hit that its predecessor was; there isn't a horde of fanboys spreading Kanon tidbits all over the place. One can only assume that if you're spoiled about Kanon, it is only because you allowed yourself to be spoiled.

And what you just said confirms my suspicion; you care nothing for character development at all. No wonder you rated the first six episodes of Kanon, as well as Sola 03, as low as you did. Not that I'm saying you can't do that, but it is why everyone takes your words with a great deal of salt. And before you accuse me of victimizing you again, I'm the kind of guy who'll take even my own words with a good helping of salt.

EDIT: And he beats me to the punch AGAIN.
I have a different idea of what constitues good character development. To me it is just as important as a series plot.

@WanderingKnight: You shouldn't concern yourself too much with it. Your a good guy and I'm sorry to put you through this contemplation.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-05-19 at 04:50.
Old 2007-05-19, 10:50   Link #173
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

tldrdqall

Quote:
from what I've heard that I will like Sola.
There are a whole world of differences between judging an animated series from what you have "heard" or "read" and judging from what you have "seen".

That's exactly what a lot of people are reproaching you, you may as well drop this series or the genre where it belongs, ignore them and stick to the genres you actually enjoy. That's what I do, and that's why you'll never see me bitching in the Naruto or Gundam forums.

My bottom-line is you are not as unbiased or as open-minded as you make it seems to be.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 04:26   Link #174
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Gotta to say, Kanon 2006 sure isn't perfect but atleast show more unbiased judgement... And first things first, try to watch shows before rate them... Kanon is a drama type and people who likes Gundam stuff and Naruto maybe won't like because it has a different flow...You found it boring because it shows some flow of reality into it which is boring to others but it has to be that way to show the story's realism... And try to watch this again and try this... Put your position/perspective/ in Yuiichi's shoes... you'll understand more of the story.. just a little advice...

Kanon sure have weak points.. I respect your judgement.. But atleast give consideration on the positive side... and I mean why did you watch this until the end if you think it sucked in the first 5 episodes...

And one last thing... don't ever spoil yourself on spoilers..Because you'll definitely be bored if you know what will happen..
Old 2007-05-29, 12:29   Link #175
Cheerful

Graphics: 9.0; for smooth looking scenes and characters, although graphics can never be perfect.

music: 10; for great music coordination. I have the entire soundtrack

comedic lines: 7 Since its is mainly drama series. But I laughed alot during the funny scenes

drama: 10 One of the best dramas I ever watched (and I dont watch many xD) Although I say its tied with AIR.

ending : 10. I absolutely loved this ending. It left a great imprint on me .

overall : 9.5/10. I am a really really great Kanon Fan. Although I admit the series isnt perfect, but its definitely my favorite of all time. We need more Kanon
Cheerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 17:31   Link #176
gouf 1/2
~ Get set!

Overall i likes i series very much.
I like the characters and their relationships with each other (*cough* Yuiichi, your one lucky man*)
Graphics are very good and i enjoyed the small comedies.
Music was fantastic, i enjoyed listening to everyone of them.
Was confusing at some parts but i really enjoyed the ending.

I give this anime a 9/10
gouf 1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 10:19   Link #177
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
Simply put-with out going into a long detailed analysis-I found Kanon 2006 to be as appealing-or more so than Air for the same reasons-character development, well written story, beautiful artwork, and last but not least-fantastic soundtrack.
Old 2007-06-22, 21:54   Link #178
Pendevous
Yoroshiku
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Pendevous
I gave it a 10. I've never loved an anime so much. Fact is, I stopped watching animes 7 years ago, but returned to it thanks to this. Best ever.
Pendevous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 18:59   Link #179
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
hmmm...

Animation ~ very nice, smooth and well drawned characters, great and outstanding bg's and very nice sfx... you'll definitely see some major differences from the previous series...

Music ~ not perfect but definitely nice... some bg's suited the dramatic scenes itself...

Story ~ compared to the previous one... this definitely a much much better...

Characters ~ the dev't of the character had showned very well.... each one of them have nice and good characteristics...

rate 9.5/10... there's no 9.5 here so I rounded up and becomes 10
Old 2007-06-29, 20:02   Link #180
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Yes, I know I said somewhere (I believe it was on the Lucky Star discussions) that I dislike rating episodes and stuff numerically. However, I decided that perhaps it would be helpful for me to at least compile my thoughts about an overall series using a certain more structured criteria or standard. Anyway, I've decided on a method to do so, and I'm going to try it out for the first time on a show that I've already voted on, in hopes that it'll be an accurate reflection of my feelings toward a show. I already gave Kanon 2006 a "9", now let's see how it would stack up in my new criteria. I plan to try it out next for real on a show I haven't finished yet, Sola, so I thought I could give it a test run first, and see if it needs tweaking.

My categories are:

Characters - An average of the scores I'd give to various characters depending simply on how much I like them. Some may be selectively omitted, depending on whether I feel they are important or noteworthy.

Plot - Kind of self-explanatory. Do I like the story, whether it be the journey or the destination?

Setting - I place high emphasis on the world that a show takes place in and any special concepts that it plans on implementing. Do I want to be in such a world?

Directing - really just a catch-all for any comments or thoughts I have on stuff like storyboarding, overall pacing, and directing of minute scenes.

Animation - How pretty and fluid the show is. If I didn't care about animation, then I'd rather be reading books than watching anime. It doesn't make or break a show, but it certainly has an impact. As Jason Miao puts it, "Saying that animation quality doesn't matter in anime is like saying height doesn't matter in basketball."

Music - This category is divided into two parts: background music, and OP/ED/Insert songs. Both are given equal weight.

Voice Acting - How good of a job did the seiyuus do? Did any of them grate my ears, or did they captivate me with their character?

Brownie Points - Stuff that doesn't fit into any other category. This is pretty much all completely subjective, usually stuff that might only appeal to me personally. For example, something like Read or Die might score high here simply because origami is one of my hobbies.

Not all categories are of equal weight, as I value some categories over others. The character score is multiplied times 2, and the plot and setting scores are multiplied times 1.5. Total amount of points possible is 100.

Now, let me apply this for the first time.

Characters - 8

Interestingly enough, I did not dislike any of the characters in the show, although none of them are really highly ranked enough to be considered among my top favorite anime characters. I won't post actual character descriptions, but here are the individual scores:
Yuuichi - 9
Nayuki - 8
Ayu - 8
Shiori - 9
Mai - 8
Sayuri - 9
Makoto - 7
Amano - 7
Akiko - 9
Jun - 8
Kaori - 8

Plot - 8

Well, it certainly did grip me and made me emotionally invest in it. Shedding tears certainly doesn't hurt its score. I suppose I could divide this up into individual rankings of each story arc, but I'm kinda lazy right now...

Setting - 9

Snowy town in the middle of winter. I love the snow and winter, so that already scores high with me. Many scenes also take place at a school, which, while overused, is still one of my favorite settings. The supernatural elements of the world don't feel invasive, so overall I think it works rather well.

Animation - 10

Easily one of the best animated shows I've seen to date. I still rewatch some scenes just to look at how pretty everything is. I actually kind of like the character designs (guess I'm just used to Kyoto Animation). Action is smooth and pleasing to look at. Oh, and the SNOW! I can just stare at the falling snow for so long...

Music - 9

Two parts to this score, averaged together:

OP/ED/Insert Songs (8) - I actually really, really liked "Last Regrets", but I felt that "Kaze no Tadori Tsuku Basho" felt out of place in what may have been all but 2 episodes. But for those 2 episodes, I loved how the show would transition into the ED...if only it weren't that abrupt for the end of, say, episodes 21 or 22.

Background music (10) - I must admit, I really liked the background tracks. My favorite would probably be Mai's theme, "Girl's Prison". Also, the use of classical music such as Pachebel or Tchaikovsky scores big points with me.

Voice Acting - 9

I have no real complaints here. Solid work, IMHO. Loved Sugita's sarcastic and teasing voice, but also enjoyed his performance of Yuuichi's utter shock in episode 22. The fact that none of the girls' many catchphrases bothered me is also a big plus for this category.

Directing - 8

Overall pacing was shaky at some points, especially towards the end, but still not too bad. I really enjoyed the pacing within many episodes too. Also, some scenes were really well-directed, IMHO. Still, points off for a somewhat rushed conclusion.

Brownie Points - 9

+1 for the Kyon-ification of Yuuichi. "Why are you narrating, Aizawa-kun?"
+1 for EPIC DANCING (in episode 12)
+1 for the hairband scene with shota Yuuichi and loli Ayu in episode 24.
+1 for Sayuri explaining the title in episode 14.
+2 for naming every single episode after a classical music sub-genre.
+1 for Akiko's jam.
+1 for all the potential EFZ jokes. (Akiko's Final Memory ftw!)
+1 for a cornicopia of catchphrases and other speech quirks.

FINAL TALLY:

Characters - 8 (x2)
Plot - 8 (x1.5)
Setting - 9 (x1.5)
Directing - 8
Animation - 10
Music - 9
Voice Acting - 9
Brownie Points - 9

Total score: 86.5 / 100 (rounds up to a 9/10)

K, and so concludes my first practice attempt at scoring a series with a structured point system. Yay?
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote