Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-06-12, 13:02   Link #241
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, I did wish for Goro to be called on his hypocrisy in wanting the Phantom Thieves to be punished. Most of what they did isn't actually illegal. There's nothing in the books against "stealing hearts".
What if they drive someone to suicide by stealing their heart? Can that not be considered murder still under the eyes of the law? I think you could make a serious case for it.
Old 2018-06-12, 13:45   Link #242
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
What if they drive someone to suicide by stealing their heart? Can that not be considered murder still under the eyes of the law? I think you could make a serious case for it.
You'd have to prove intent, so that's out. But even for homicide, you'd have to prove some kind of causality between whatever they did and the death. Tall order. I don't think posting a few mean messages can get you into much legal trouble, even if the recipient commits suicide, and that's all that'd be provable.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-12, 17:22   Link #243
Twi

Cyber-bullying led suicide are something that can get you taken to court, and considering the nature of their activities, they'll likely get slapped with a ton of other charges.
Old 2018-06-12, 22:13   Link #244
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
The result of heart stealing isn't suicide. It's a desire to admit guilt and make things right. So the game took care of that option.
Old 2018-06-13, 00:52   Link #245
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The result of heart stealing isn't suicide. It's a desire to admit guilt and make things right. So the game took care of that option.
Didn't Kamoshida basically say he was going to kill himself until Ann called him a coward for it? Changing someone's heart can most definitely lead to suicide if the target feels like that's the only way to make amends.
Old 2018-06-13, 01:26   Link #246
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Cyber-bullying led suicide are something that can get you taken to court, and considering the nature of their activities, they'll likely get slapped with a ton of other charges.
It's not like they led a massive sustained campaign against their victims. So the "cyber-bullying" isn't going to fit.

The most they could get charged with at that point is vandalism, maybe breaking and entering, depending on what they did to get their messages out.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2018-06-17 at 11:16.
Old 2018-06-14, 14:19   Link #247
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
It's not like the led a massive sustained campaign against their victims. So the "cyber-bullying" isn't going to fit.

The most they could get charged with at that point is vandalism, maybe breaking and entering, depending on what they did to get their messages out.
Or, if they want to make an example out of them, involuntary manslaughter.
Old 2018-06-14, 18:53   Link #248
Magewolf

Quote:
How? Would they be charged with using Voodoo to make someone kill themselves?
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-14, 19:47   Link #249
The Green One

This series hasn't really been shy with showing that it doesn't matter if you're guilty of a crime or not. Just that enough people have to think you are. Or the right people in power have to think you are. Once you've been arrested all they have to do is twist your arm into signing a confession. By force if necessary....
Old 2018-06-14, 19:48   Link #250
Twi

Presumably the same way Episode 1 began with Joker being arrested.
Old 2018-06-16, 16:46   Link #251
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Today's episode felt quite good in terms of animation despite the long necks.

The new awakening was pretty cool (PERSONA ON MOTORCYCLES!) but once again the fight felt weird. It was like the characters from Yugioh kept throwing monster cards at the enemy but with season 1 logic.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-16, 21:46   Link #252
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

All hail the queen!
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 00:11   Link #253
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Those Butt shots. Hoo boi XD
Old 2018-06-17, 08:59   Link #254
Random14

Its a good thing they have magic powers or else there would be no way out. Blundering into a crime lord's den like that, not one of their brighter moments. Well, not like they have much idea what they're doing most of the time anyway. Now that Makoto's got her persona (and is hopefully over her issues), she can advise them better.

So yay, Makoto has officially joined the thieves. So-so fight, but animating a motorcycle Persona was always going to be awkward. Even the game only had it appear during her attack animations. Young Makoto was adorable. I hope they do a decent job with the infiltration next time, this is around when I found the game starting to get repetitive. I can only hear "horrible adults" so many times before I start tuning out their dialogue. Well, since they're all outcasts (of sorts) their awakening scenes are all pretty similar too ("Are you ready to rebel?!").
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 11:16   Link #255
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
How? Would they be charged with using Voodoo to make someone kill themselves?
Exactly. The problem with condemning people for using magic in those kinds of settings is that first you have to prove magic exists, and the only way to do it is with the help of people with a vested interest in that not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Presumably the same way Episode 1 began with Joker being arrested.
Ep 1 started with some serious vandalism, as well as reckless endangerment. And went on with various acts of breaching the peace. It wasn't magic. You can get arrested for those.
Old 2018-06-17, 11:17   Link #256
Wandering Soul

I sort of hope they just get through this infiltration quickly. This palace was honestly the weakest for me story wise and one of the weakest gameplay wise
Old 2018-06-18, 15:19   Link #257
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Exactly. The problem with condemning people for using magic in those kinds of settings is that first you have to prove magic exists, and the only way to do it is with the help of people with a vested interest in that not happening.
The Green One said it right: the point of the series is in part that what people think is often times more important than what's actually true.

And it would be rather simple to use the involuntary manslaughter charge. They would basically accuse them of bullying the victim into suicide by threatening them with the cards and maybe a bunch of other trumped up charges.

I'll also remind everyone of the first episode where Joker was being beaten and drugged until he signed a written confession so the show has my back on this one
Old 2018-06-18, 16:06   Link #258
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
The Green One said it right: the point of the series is in part that what people think is often times more important than what's actually true.
Oh, what's actually true is that magic exists and they brainwash people with it. There's no getting around that. What people think is more fluid.

Quote:
And it would be rather simple to use the involuntary manslaughter charge. They would basically accuse them of bullying the victim into suicide by threatening them with the cards and maybe a bunch of other trumped up charges.
People get trolled all the time, much more brutally than what the Phantom Thieves have done. Without anyone considering that actionable. Oh, sure, at some point you can claim that Japan's some kind of dictatorship and that kids running afoul of the establishment will get condemned by kangaroo courts despite there being no evidence of illegal activities. But that's all it can be... unless society accepts that magic is real.

Quote:
I'll also remind everyone of the first episode where Joker was being beaten and drugged until he signed a written confession so the show has my back on this one
After they very publicly did shit that was very obviously illegal.
Old 2018-06-18, 18:31   Link #259
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
After they very publicly did shit that was very obviously illegal.
Look at Joker's outfit. They were inside a palace. How he managed to get arrested despite using methods that should make him impossible to catch is part of the mystery.
Old 2018-06-18, 20:41   Link #260
The Green One

It was said Joker was betrayed. The question really is, who is the traitor?