Old 2021-05-19, 22:24   Link #1
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Kentaro Miura, author of Berserk, has passed away

Official tweet from the Berserk Project:

Quote:
【三浦建太郎先生 ご逝去の報】
『ベルセルク』の作者である三浦建太郎先生が、2021年5月6日、急性大動脈解離のため、ご逝去されまし た。三浦先生の画業に最大の敬意と感謝を表しますとともに、心よりご冥福をお祈りいたします。
2021年5月20日 株式会社白泉社 ヤングアニマル編集部
Quote:
Originally Posted by google translate
[Report of the death of Professor Kentaro Miura]

Dr. Kentaro Miura, the author of "Berserk", passed away on May 6, 2021 due to acute aortic dissection. We would like to express our utmost respect and gratitude to Dr. Miura's painting work and pray for his soul.

May 20, 2021 Hakusensha Co., Ltd. Young Animal Editorial Department
Rest in peace man.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-20, 03:02   Link #2
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Its raining today...
Old 2021-05-20, 03:32   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Words can't describe all the various feelings I have when I hear this news. Still, RIP my guy...
Old 2021-05-20, 03:33   Link #4
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Thirty years to finish Berserk weren't enough and now it's never going to happen.
Just like Yume Miru Kikai, just that there's a glimmer of hope for that one.

Truly a tragedy.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
0cean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-20, 07:51   Link #5
Golden Lily

I can't believe this just happened...
He was truly irreplaceable author and I can only hope he's in better world now.

Rest in peace, Miura.
Golden Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-20, 09:55   Link #6
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

YouTube
Old 2021-05-20, 13:41   Link #7
Frontier

We've truly lost a legend and a great creative force in manga. And far too soon.

RIP Miura-san.
Old 2021-05-20, 16:55   Link #8
QS_Bilal
Gravemind

I did not expect to read about such a tragedy in my busy afternoon.
Like many others, denial is slightly part of what I am feeling. I keep thinking it is fakenews, a coordinate social media hack.

I watched the 2016 anime, most of the Golden Ages movies, and some other animations here and there. It was enough to have me realize I was watching a masterpiece. The manga, I likely read a few dozen chapters, the recent ones. I kept thinking, I NEED to wait, buy the deluxe english manga books or better yet, learn the author's language, and read them as originally crafted. I think a masterpiece deserves respect, attention, and understanding. So I held off, hoping that this afternoon would not come to pass..

I do not know much about you, Miura. I hope your life was pleasant. I wish that you find a happy afterlife. May you rest in peace.
QS_Bilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-20, 19:34   Link #9
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

A true shame, he was a legend. And to think Berserk will never be finished.
I guess it is popular enough that they could give it the Zero no Tsukaima treatment, if he left behind enough material?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-20, 19:37   Link #10
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

54 years old too. And aortic dissection. Silent killer which one rarely notices unless they get checked regularly.....RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
Thirty years to finish Berserk weren't enough and now it's never going to happen.
Just like Yume Miru Kikai, just that there's a glimmer of hope for that one.
Trinity Blood also
Old 2021-05-20, 23:04   Link #11
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

His work unfinished in limbo, yet his legacy left behind for posterity in the decades to come.

Kentaro Miura delivered an unmatched, visual & narrative style in order to let the audience escape into the universes that he crafted with passion, ambition, and diligence.

Miura-sensei was the true or real life Berserk at struggling forward with such fierce conviction and perfectionism in order to tell the stories he wanted to tell within the boundaries of his imagination.

It will be a honor to continue reading your works (now legacies) our dear sensei.

May you rest in peace, and may you reach the Valhalla of your dreams, Miura-sensei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
A true shame, he was a legend. And to think Berserk will never be finished.
I guess it is popular enough that they could give it the Zero no Tsukaima treatment, if he left behind enough material?
Five to ten years ago I was pondering that may be Berserk should conclude with an undetermined or limbo ending. This is due that I feel Berserk is one such a story developing within a cycle of continuity rather than eternity. What I mean is that there's no such thing as beginnings and endings rather the flow of continuity moves within a spiral or helix structure that keeps going on and on feeling limitless to the audience.

Nevertheless, I never wished for Berserk to be left unconcluded due to the passing away of Kentaro Miura.

REST IN PEACE, Miura-sensei.

As I am writing this post, I'm listening to Susumu Hirasawa's "FORCES" from the Berserk soundtrack to give homage to Miura-sensei. The song to me personally feels fitting to wave the last farewell to the Master of Berserk and the Father of Guts.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-20, 23:12   Link #12
Johnny Dy

OMG, the anime/manga world is backstabbed by this news and Berserk is so far from completion....
I've just read the last chapter a few weeks ago, now I won't be able to read anything ever again. That's so fucking scary and upsetting!
Old 2021-05-21, 02:35   Link #13
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

RIP Kentaro Miura.

Unlike most readers, I read Berserk not long ago, around month after news about COVID started as I look for something to read.
Its an amazing experience if I must say, compare to other manga I've read its first time I wanted to consider a manga as a beautifully crafted storytelling medium; his fans loyalty became very understandable to me as I ended up looking forward to Duranki (his other unfinished works) as well.

Thank you for your hard works.

Old 2021-05-21, 08:58   Link #14
dragon1412

May you rest in peace Kentaro Miura.

As a long term reader, I was an avid reader and a big fan of Berserk, this new break out today for me is just painful at our time. I pray you can write the finish in heaven knowing how much of a perfectionist you are, and also pray that your assistants can continue your legacy.

I truly thanks you for everything, Berserk change my outlook on life and help me through some difficult times. Once again, I truly thanks you for everything
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-21, 09:43   Link #15
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
YouTube
I was actually there during the one in Tonberry server.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-21, 17:20   Link #16
AnimeFangirl

Wouldn't be surprised if manga companies start making the authors come up with an ending before they start the series. The ending can be regularly updated as the series progresses, but at least then they'll have something to show the fans if something tragic like this happens.
Old 2021-05-22, 03:50   Link #17
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
The ending can be regularly updated as the series progresses, but at least then they'll have something to show the fans if something tragic like this happens.
As far as I know that is a thing with very popular manga, like Meitantei Conan and One Piece, and I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get something like this for Berserk, too. But let's be honest here, if he had any clue how to end Berserk, he would have done so a long time ago. At least there wouldn't be constant delays.
0cean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-22, 04:09   Link #18
dragon1412

the delays is more likely dealing with his health and art though. berserk is extremely like already have the end planned out already, especially we were really at the final part of the story, Casca regain her sanity, Berserker armor is noted to have more to it, The Kushan starting to know about Griffith past, knowing Miura Perfectionism and all the time he needed to take a break, it's very likely there is already a script towards the end, although how detailed it is is something only up to speculation.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-22, 11:58   Link #19
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
This man have been the assistant of Miura till the latter's untimely passing

https://twitter.com/MRko_aki___/stat...81370328489985

There is a big IF about whether the publisher of Miura would allow him to carry the torch. If that does happen, lets not be too harsh on the man, and wish him to not overwork himself instead.
Old 2021-05-22, 20:40   Link #20
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
This man have been the assistant of Miura till the latter's untimely passing

https://twitter.com/MRko_aki___/stat...81370328489985

There is a big IF about whether the publisher of Miura would allow him to carry the torch. If that does happen, lets not be too harsh on the man, and wish him to not overwork himself instead.
That aside, his own art is pretty nice