AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-10-13, 09:04   Link #34921
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

To handle a BSL 4 pathogen outside a BSL 4 setting.... they should have those self contained air supply space suits even if making them positive pressure is unfeasible...At least it's more enclosed than those yellow ones they use now.

At the bare minimum, there should be a clorox shower or something similar set up before they remove the suit. Removing a suit when the exterior is still contaminated is not a smart move
Old 2014-10-13, 15:24   Link #34922
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Isn't positive pressure for sterilised environments? It doesn't do the room any good if there is any pathogens already present. Positive pressure stops pathogens getting IN, it doesn't stop pathogens getting OUT.
Old 2014-10-13, 16:42   Link #34923
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Positive pressure for the suits, negative pressure for the rooms.
Old 2014-10-13, 18:45   Link #34924
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Positive pressure for the suits, negative pressure for the rooms.
Ah, yes, I see. I was trained for sterilised environments only so I didn't consider pressurised suits. I was thinking of something like a biosafety cabinet.
Old 2014-10-14, 03:31   Link #34925
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Private Contractors Will Probably Join The Fight Against ISIS

Actually PMCs aren't that bad, provided the staff aren't just gun fanatics and are real soldiers, like that of Executive Outcomes. They did pretty well in fixing the RUF in the 90s until they got pressured to leave. The ones in the 2nd Iraq War were the real bad names to the industry.
What are the legal specifics regarding hiring PMCs? I've always wondered if it's possible to start charities with the goal of using the money to hire PMCs to go into war torn African countries and secure the safety of villages from warlords and terrorists. Seems a lot more effective than trying to send food and supplies that just end up getting taken.
Old 2014-10-14, 03:50   Link #34926
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The A-Team?
Old 2014-10-14, 04:19   Link #34927
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
What are the legal specifics regarding hiring PMCs? I've always wondered if it's possible to start charities with the goal of using the money to hire PMCs to go into war torn African countries and secure the safety of villages from warlords and terrorists. Seems a lot more effective than trying to send food and supplies that just end up getting taken.
The issue being what happens when someone in the PMC committed a crime. Even the US military finds it difficult to punish them as they are not in their legal control and can't be court-martialed. Most even get a clause for full immunity.

Normally if you want to hire guards, it is in your home country. But if you hire guards in nation A and then order them to attack people in nation B, it is a massive can of worms for any employer who isn't a government themselves.
Old 2014-10-14, 10:59   Link #34928
LoveYouSaber

Bamboo barricades arise in Hong Kong

Though the police have managed to clear it the next morning in less than one hour. To be honest, the barricades were really quite impressive - one was around two stories tall, while one had the sharp end of bamboo sticks sticking out (kind of like Braveheart movie Battle of Sterling pike formation), but I thought it was a bit over the top
Old 2014-10-14, 11:53   Link #34929
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
Charities are only allowed to hire them for defensive purposes. Unless you have something as powerful as USAID - that is a different story.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-10-14, 13:52   Link #34930
Esclair

Quote:
Charities are only allowed to hire them for defensive purposes. Unless you have something as powerful as USAID - that is a different story.
Even defensive purposes seem like they could be pretty useful though... Has anyone outside of the US government contracted American PMCs in crisis areas?
Old 2014-10-14, 14:05   Link #34931
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryenault View Post
I don't know why the rest of the world have to make a fuss about Japan having a war shrine. The people are dead, they are not worshipped. Many of them may have done horrible things as soldiers, but is allowing them to rest in peace too much to ask?
lol... why are u bringing this up all of a sudden? It would be relevant if you link to a recent news, but this just seems out of the blue to me...

To answer part of the question, the controversy 1st started when the "new" headpriest did something "shady" and then the Emperor started boycotting the Shrine afterward. As for whether other people should decide to boycott it or not is a matter of personal preference/opinion. With the exception that government officials cannot make an official visit due to separation of State and Religion (private visit is still allowed). Though this is a separate topic to the "main" debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
And? Everyone loves being victims. And the surviving Japanese civilians of the time would argue that they ARE victims.
I would agree, except that war Museum Yuushuukan does NOT focus on portraying the Japanese civilians as victims. It focus mostly on portraying the Imperial Army and its leaders as the Benevolent Good Guys(for the wwii section). The part when Japanese civilians were victims of their own military is of course, omitted as expected.

I would agree it's not a big deal by itself when it's not associated with the State. But if the topic somehow comes up, then it's certainly not immune to criticism, though it may be blown out of proportion. And let's also not assume that everyone who criticize this are singling out Japan alone. I can't speak for everyone, but I think it should be more of a criticism against Nationalism in general than any particular country, though it may seem like the latter when the criticism goes overboard and gets blown out of proportion (and it IS with PRC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
"Little interest" may or may not have any meaning depending on the practial nature of the conflict and the requirements of various alliances.
US forces occupying part of Syria will surely annoy Putin and gives him a taste of his own medicine.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2014-10-14 at 21:02.
Old 2014-10-14, 21:17   Link #34932
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
Bamboo barricades arise in Hong Kong

Though the police have managed to clear it the next morning in less than one hour. To be honest, the barricades were really quite impressive - one was around two stories tall, while one had the sharp end of bamboo sticks sticking out (kind of like Braveheart movie Battle of Sterling pike formation), but I thought it was a bit over the top
PTU's clearing them up. TV mentions an incident where pepper spray and tear gas were used in one of the in-road tunnels.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2014-10-15, 04:46   Link #34933
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

RETURN OF THE VIKINGS : BACK TO BAGHDAD

Quote:
Three members of the infamous Dutch biker gang “No Surrender” reportedly journeyed to Iraq and Syria last week in order to fight alongside Kurdish troops and against Islamic State (IS) militants.

Now, commenting on the legality of that move, the Dutch public prosecutor said Tuesday they are allowed to do so.

“Joining a foreign armed force was previously punishable, now it’s no longer forbidden,” the prosecutor’s spokesman, Wim de Bruin, told AFP.

As long as the individuals do not enlist in a battle against the Netherlands, they are not committing a crime, he added. If the members of the biker gang are found to be engaging in torture or rape, however, De Bruin said they could be indicted on criminal charges.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-10-15, 06:52   Link #34934
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Worrying for Saudi, U.S. oil output cuts could take a while
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0I40CP20141015

Supreme Court blocks Texas abortion restrictions
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0I32RR20141015
Old 2014-10-15, 10:21   Link #34935
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Spoofing the Islamic State

Old 2014-10-15, 13:21   Link #34936
LoveYouSaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
PTU's clearing them up. TV mentions an incident where pepper spray and tear gas were used in one of the in-road tunnels.
Pepper spray used, yes, but the tear gas thing was just a rumour. Nonetheless, the tunnel incident led to this:

BBC: Hong Kong protests: Police to investigate 'beating' video

I always thought something like this would happen after the police has gone under strain for so many days. But beating up a handcuffed protester is a big no-no, and understandably, managed to stoke up the heat again.

At this point, I think there must be some kind of bigger plot at work since every time the protests seem to die down a bit, someone from the PRO-ESTABLISHMENT (yep, you read that right) side manages to do something stupid to keep people returning to the streets. This police beating may be an outburst thing, but previous, there were so many incidents like cutting off arranged talks or having anti-protest thugs beating up protesters that would stir up the heat just when the protests seem to fizzle.
Old 2014-10-15, 14:48   Link #34937
Bri

Quote:
Great, organized criminals now acquiring urban warfare experience. This lot is part of a splinter group from Moluccan gang Satudarah who are in competition with Moroccan gangs (with suspected ties to ISIS) in the drugs trade.
Old 2014-10-15, 20:09   Link #34938
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Great, organized criminals now acquiring urban warfare experience. This lot is part of a splinter group from Moluccan gang Satudarah who are in competition with Moroccan gangs (with suspected ties to ISIS) in the drugs trade.
One way or another. While the government are dragging their feet on ISIS, these people have to step in.

Though it is interesting to note that it has been 1100 years since the Vikings set foot in Baghdad/Syria.

Old 2014-10-16, 01:27   Link #34939
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
One way or another. While the government are dragging their feet on ISIS, these people have to step in.

Though it is interesting to note that it has been 1100 years since the Vikings set foot in Baghdad/Syria.
Though IMO I would rather discourage this. I much rather random people not run to the Middle East to fight, even if they are technically on my side. This is reminding me too much of the crazy Crusades when random people just got together and travel across Europe only to die for nothing or worse, hurt innocents when they got there.
Old 2014-10-16, 22:51   Link #34940
JokerD

'Clipboard man' seen without any protective gear stood with workers in full hazmat suits transporting Ebola patient
Spoiler:

When 1 facepalm is not enough

Last edited by JokerD; 2014-10-17 at 00:38.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international