AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-12-14, 19:01   Link #35161
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

A man (men?) has taken hostages at a shop in Sydney (Lindt store in Martin Place, for some reason).

Quote:
Some hostages standing with their hands up at the windows in the popular Lindt chocolate shop, which has two or three entrances. There is also a black and white flag being held up in a window. It is believed to be the Black Standard, a jihadist flag.
http://www.news.com.au/national/a-ma...-1227156241649

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-cle...14-127824.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/ <- live stream (ABC news feed)

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2014-12-14 at 22:12.
Old 2014-12-14, 19:56   Link #35162
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

The terrorists say they have 'devices' set up around the city. So...bombs set up around the city...

I'm sick of jihadists and Islamic extremists. Just so sick of them.
Old 2014-12-14, 20:54   Link #35163
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

What the heck is with these nuts.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-12-14, 21:40   Link #35164
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

So....

Yeah...

I think i will stay at home today...
Old 2014-12-14, 21:52   Link #35165
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I'm sick of jihadists and Islamic extremists. Just so sick of them.
You're not the only one.

Don't they have any shame by looking like the worst bunch of mentally retarded misfits in history? Let me say that it has to be extremely bad if I call someone or a group of people as such.
Old 2014-12-14, 23:10   Link #35166
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I don't know 'the worst bunch of mentally retarded misfits in the history of the world' is a really good one for the GOP.

The Islamic terrorists are just straight up evil, though. Simply cruel and pure evil.
Old 2014-12-14, 23:19   Link #35167
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quite worried.

There is yet evidence about whether the case is just a hostage act, or a terrorist incident, or part of a bigger terrorist operations. As the gunman did get a hostage contacting toward outside and talked about either he's being involved in some other operatives, or other operatives will involve in the incident

And he picked a fairly specific shop as well. During less crowded period, so possibly do this alone and can control 10 or so hostage better than. As during peak hour. normally there will be three times the amount of customers

Old 2014-12-15, 00:48   Link #35168
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I think an AWM in .308 AP can slot that guy from outside.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-12-15, 02:49   Link #35169
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I think an AWM in .308 AP can slot that guy from outside.
It can, but it cannot be used in hostage situations and build up areas for fear of it penetrating to somewhere it shouldn't.

Some hostages managed to get out:
5 people flee Sydney hostage-crisis building

Anyway, he just raised a black flag in front of the store, we still don't know anything about the hostage taker and his/her motives yet, so I wouldn't start partitioning blame just yet.

Anyway, closer to my home:
I am the hero to Malays and Islam, you are ‘bangsat’, Ibrahim Ali tells critics in Umno
Seem like race supremacist trying to call moderates race-traitors, hopefully this doesn't turn into something more extreme.
Old 2014-12-15, 04:58   Link #35170
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

My office is around 800m away from that shop. I'll still be going to work tomorrow. Hope nothing happens.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

Old 2014-12-15, 06:13   Link #35171
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
My office is around 800m away from that shop. I'll still be going to work tomorrow. Hope nothing happens.
A friend of mine is worried that one of the people trapped in there is his relative.

Old 2014-12-15, 06:14   Link #35172
Mr Hat and Clogs

Found out tonight that one of my guildies in WoW was there, walked out of the store literally 1 minute before it happened only because they didn't have the chocolate he wanted to get, otherwise he'd be in there now. he was pretty shocked about it.
Old 2014-12-15, 06:34   Link #35173
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Guys can you carry guns out there in Sydney? My friend is raging about taking out his "gun out for a walk", but I read that concealed carry is not permitted in Australia.

Old 2014-12-15, 07:34   Link #35174
Mr Hat and Clogs

Nope we cant. It's quite strict to be even able to get a gun licence over here, let alone to be able to get permission to carry it around outside of very specific requirements. If your friend wanted to take his gun for a walk he'd probably end up being charged if he was found carrying.
Old 2014-12-15, 08:57   Link #35175
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Oh goodness the selfies over the internet.

I don't know what to say.......is this how you Aussie mock and troll the jihadis by not taking them seriously?

Old 2014-12-15, 11:02   Link #35176
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Australian hostage taker named as Iranian refugee charged with assault
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0JT1H820141215
Old 2014-12-15, 12:14   Link #35177
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Australian hostage taker named as Iranian refugee charged with assault
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0JT1H820141215
Well, it sounds like it is just one guy. Good. It means we won't have to worry about multiple strikes. The fact that he has prior record of criminal behaviour means it is unlikely he would have been picked for a team terrorism plot. I expect him to be killed or just arrested and that would be that.
Old 2014-12-15, 12:29   Link #35178
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Well, it sounds like it is just one guy. Good. It means we won't have to worry about multiple strikes. The fact that he has prior record of criminal behaviour means it is unlikely he would have been picked for a team terrorism plot. I expect him to be killed or just arrested and that would be that.
To me, it look like what happened here in Canada not long ago; lone guy influenced but not directly related to terror groups. Religion-themed terrorism is just another path for a empty or wasted life but, contrary to petty crime, it provide a false impression of being superior over the other around.

On another subject: For police reformers, California city shows a rough road
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0JS0HL20141214
Old 2014-12-15, 13:18   Link #35179
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Gunman and one hostage dead in Sydney
Old 2014-12-15, 14:45   Link #35180
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
Gunman and two hostages dead.

No one is happy about this.