AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-10-16, 01:29   Link #2161
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
I finally got into the Ender's Game universe. Finished Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and Ender's Shadow over the last 3 weeks.
I received Ender's Game from my mother's best friend for my 8th birthday. It changed my life, and started me on my life-long love affair with sci-fi. I went from reading things by Beverly Cleary, to devouring Isaac Asimov, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, etc. Luckily, we had an amazing used book store near my childhood house, which sold paperbacks for 10 cents/piece, which for my paltry allowance ($10/month lol) in those days, was like heaven.

I think if I ever go crazy and have kids, I'll skip the Dr. Seuss, the Boxcar Children, etc, and teach them to read straight from sci-fi.

As for my last read, I just finished reading Sharps, by K. J. Parker. Not sure how I overlooked this author. Planning on picking up his Fencer Trilogy next.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 22:04   Link #2162
Anime-fan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Just finished reading Soul Catcher , was hoping someone knew of a story(mostly the love part) just like it , i thought it was great .

Just started The Hunger Games book 1 , this is insane . I'm loving it.
I just finished the series. I really enjoyed it. I was satisfied with the way things ended. Anyone else read The Hunger Games trilogy?
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 03:42   Link #2163
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

I've got my hands on .hack//AI Buster recently and it was really good. Definitely for those who like MMORPG stories.
Old 2012-10-21, 10:33   Link #2164
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime-fan10 View Post
I just finished the series. I really enjoyed it. I was satisfied with the way things ended. Anyone else read The Hunger Games trilogy?
I have read the entire Hunger Games Trilogy! How can you be satisfied with the ending
Spoiler for ending of hunger games:
Old 2012-10-21, 11:21   Link #2165
Anime-fan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2352 View Post
I have read the entire Hunger Games Trilogy! How can you be satisfied with the ending
Spoiler for Ending for Hunger Games:
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 12:40   Link #2166
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime-fan10 View Post
Spoiler for Ending for Hunger Games:
True. I agree with that perspective.
Old 2012-10-22, 08:35   Link #2167
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Finished H.G. Wells' The Time Machine in an hour. It's got some interesting parallels to Gulliver's Travels and is set in a comparatively more modern universe
Old 2012-11-07, 08:56   Link #2168
calorie

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami.

I would call this a typical Murakami novel. Plenty of genuinely wise, poignant stuff wrapped in an easy to read, Lynchian-mindfuck. If I wasn't hardened by the internet, weird animes and other Murakami works, maybe I would find the plot too much to handle.

In any case, I'm glad I read it and will remember several sentences, characters (Nakata) and weird but kakkoii situations fondly.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 00:22   Link #2169
Suomi
Kaiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po99okie View Post
I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and started its sequel The Girl Who Played with Fire. Both are extremely good and I highly recommend them. However, both have mentions and sometimes graphic details/scenes about sexual assault (ie rape) and if it is a sensitive subject to you or something you would not want to read about, then these two, plus the third, are not the books for you. If you can overlook that part, these books are very interesting and hard to put down. You will especially like them if you are fond of mysteries.
They were EXCELLENT. So awesome. I LOVED them. The third book was kind of slow-going though. Despite the graphicness of it all, I loved those books so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2352 View Post
Great books.

I finished Hidden (House of Night #9) by P.C. and Kristen Cast, now reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, for school reading Fresh Air Fiend by Paul Theroux and New and Selected Poems by Mary Oliver.
Old 2012-11-08, 09:05   Link #2170
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Currently reading The Passage, finding it hard to keep at it though as I'm working full time and studying a degree sort o full time, most of my reading is focused on studying, but what from I've read so far I'm loving it.
Old 2012-11-08, 17:37   Link #2171
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Finished 2 books but got more
I finished One of the books in the Blood Coven Series by Mari Mancussi which is Soul Bound. Mancussi never fails to suck me into a book and keep me on the edge of my seat.

The next one is The Slayer Chronicles. One of the characters of The Chronicles Of Vladimir Tod gets his side of the story told. These two books are written by Heather Brewer. She really made me love the books and the characters <3
Old 2013-03-25, 00:12   Link #2172
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

The last one I read was "Un Lun Dun" by China Miéville. I wish there will be anime for that book. Another one was "Woman in the Dunes" by Kobo Abe. Provocative and interesting book.

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 13:15   Link #2173
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Recently picked up Hounded by Kevin Hearne. I was looking for something different than my usual sci-fi/fantasy reading, and this book didn't diasapoint. Very entertaining reading, and I think I might pick up some of the other books in the series.

Endless "An annoyingly long-lived fugitive" Soul
Old 2013-07-15, 13:48   Link #2174
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

right now i am reading "Mistborn: The Final Empire" by Brandon Sanderson, the magic system is very interesting
Old 2013-07-16, 06:00   Link #2175
jdennis007

I just finished Unseen Academical s by Terry Pratchett and now I am reading Castle Kidnapped by John DeChancie.
Old 2013-07-16, 21:50   Link #2176
P99

I recently finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman and have almost completed Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. I highly recommend both to anyone who is in need of a good book to read!
Old 2013-07-18, 02:13   Link #2177
TaquishaJohnson

I've been listening to The Count of Monte Cristo on my daily commute for quite a while now, and I absolutely love it. I acquired the 37-disc Blackstone Audio version through my local library, and John Lee is a spectacular reader. I'm quite a fast reader, so I could've been finished with the thousand-page book long ago if I simply sat down and read it, but Lee's voice makes it too much more enjoyable for me not to listen. I highly recommend it to anyone who can find it.
TaquishaJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 04:41   Link #2178
Shay
Monarch Programmer

With all the Snowden shit going down I recently re-read 1984. Read back in the day in school and thought nothing of it but this time around it was very disturbing. Now that I am almost grown up at the age of 31 .
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 05:28   Link #2179
bigdeal000
malefic

Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason. Anyone interested in crime fiction should try it. It also has a little genetics in it. The action takes place in Iceland, a country I'm sure some people would be fascinated with (I know I am ).
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 05:29   Link #2180
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Started Frank Herbert's 'Dune' I had sitting on my shelf for awhile.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books