AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 9 13.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 30.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 33.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-26, 23:01   Link #61
Irenesharda

They DO create their own wormholes. They use it to get to the Hideauze nest in episode 1.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-26, 23:44   Link #62
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I hope that when Ledo finally encounters the Hideauze nest, it's revealed that he's right and they are a near-term threat to the Gargantians. I know that would create all sorts of future problems for Earth's humans. But I feel sorry for Ledo. So far the Gargantians have won all their lifestyle disagreements and have said "I told you so" a whole lot. Just once, I'd like for Ledo to be able to say "I told you so" to them.

Its not they are right its that ledo can not present a argument at all he is terrible at it talked about this somewhere else and I said a easy cop out solution would have been for chamber to argue on his behalf. Were as most critics would bash ledo for not being able to counter argument and just stare in shock when some one questions him I am kinda ok with this even master chief is a man of little words with zero social skills but he has cortana to talk for him which is what chamber should be doing for Ledo I do not expect a child soldier to be good at arguing but having no one else or a A.I. to argue for him takes away from what the series coulda been in presenting its argument and just makes it fall flat.
Old 2013-05-26, 23:50   Link #63
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

The scene where Ledo gives Bevel the Hideauze tooth was the highlight of the episode . It shows that there's more to his character than just "Hideauze? exterminating the target!". He isn't going to fight just for the glory of the alliance, or because he is programmed to, but rather because if the Hideauze do decide to attack humans on Earth, Gargantia will turn into another Gallactic Alliance where you are useless if you don't fight, like his brother. Wrong or not about the Hideauze, Ledo is being selfless.
Old 2013-05-27, 00:55   Link #64
Traece
:cool:

At one point Ledo said that the Hideauze attack civilizations that are advanced enough to be perceived as a threat. This is backed up by their nest being located in a location that's supposed to have a treasure trove of technology, and Ledo being attacked by a Hideauze while coincidentally opening a container with something that looked fairly advanced inside. This also works with their method of avoiding being attacked by the Hideauze, going completely silent. If you think about it, the pieces really do fit together. What bothers me the most was that the tooth he pried out from his mech appeared to have done damage, when the mechanics of Gargantia and all their efforts were completely unable to.

As far as the funeral goes, even if he was a character with a set lifespan I did like him. He was the resolute, wise captain of the fleet whose purpose was to be the role model and the ultimate decision maker. Not too different in fact from the captain in Space Battleship Yamato. While he didn't get much screen time himself, the character was obviously a pretty interesting guy.
Old 2013-05-27, 01:35   Link #65
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Its not they are right its that ledo can not present a argument at all he is terrible at it talked about this somewhere else and I said a easy cop out solution would have been for chamber to argue on his behalf. Were as most critics would bash ledo for not being able to counter argument and just stare in shock when some one questions him I am kinda ok with this even master chief is a man of little words with zero social skills but he has cortana to talk for him which is what chamber should be doing for Ledo I do not expect a child soldier to be good at arguing but having no one else or a A.I. to argue for him takes away from what the series coulda been in presenting its argument and just makes it fall flat.
Those that do get speechless and can't argue back to Ledo's reasoning are Amy and Bevel.

Ridget didn't even listen to what Ledo was even to say. Ridget herself is young and can't handle the pressure by herself.

If she was wise would listen to what Ledo has to say but no she left him in some corner.

Good if Amy and Bevel can relay this knowledge but as we've seen recently Ridget is out of touch with the rest of the fleet. Does she even remember assigning Amy as their liason?
Old 2013-05-27, 02:35   Link #66
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Those that do get speechless and can't argue back to Ledo's reasoning are Amy and Bevel.

Ridget didn't even listen to what Ledo was even to say. Ridget herself is young and can't handle the pressure by herself.

If she was wise would listen to what Ledo has to say but no she left him in some corner.

Good if Amy and Bevel can relay this knowledge but as we've seen recently Ridget is out of touch with the rest of the fleet. Does she even remember assigning Amy as their liason?
I was referring to Ledo dumbfounded Look when Bevel said what will the alliance do after fighting.
Old 2013-05-27, 02:43   Link #67
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Judging by the comments here if this show ends the way I think it's going to end. Well I should mentally prepare for the rage posts....
My desired ending:

Ledo is finally convinced to give up hunting Hideuze. He lives a happy and peaceful life with Amy.

Epilogue: 100 years later. Human on earth become extinct.
Old 2013-05-27, 02:56   Link #68
BoyTitan

[QUOTE=HandofFate;4697862Are people still fixated on uro being part of it and it not turning into any of the other projects he was on? Get over it.

[/QUOTE]

Actually I am starting to insult Oru himself Fate is just people talking for hours and boom fight scenes, Madoka is just omg he killed cute stuff so much plot and story best anime ever you never see people die in shounens see that moe bashers we have so much depth and plot, Psyho Pass started off strong then became the we have to kill makishima show that is the most important thing to do is get petty revenge even tho sybil is fudged up and we don't have the balls to put up with the fall out a revolution would start so maki is evil. This show is lets not kill and hug trees peace loving crap.

if this series turns out bad every future anime Gen touches I will just avoid as if it were poison.
Old 2013-05-27, 03:52   Link #69
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

I think that the concept of coexisting with the Hideauze is simply a huge fat lie people on Gargantia keep telling themselves when they have to stop all the engine and activities to be all silent when the Hideauze pass by them because they'll be annihilated if the Hideauze were to notice them.

They are just a bunch of annoying hypocrites who use firearms, the most effective killing tools in human history for self defence against the pirates. Guns are design to kill the enemies, not to simply save your ass! Also, they get angry when Ledo killed the pirates who were about to kill them... Everything Ledo does is wrong to them. They talk about their stupid ideals about peaceful coexistence with one another when they considered getting rid of Ledo when he first appeared. What a bunch of hypocrites!
Old 2013-05-27, 04:03   Link #70
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
I was referring to Ledo dumbfounded Look when Bevel said what will the alliance do after fighting.
We'll he doesn't have an answer to that as Amy and Bevel do not have an answer when the Hideauze become a threat to humanity.
Old 2013-05-27, 05:13   Link #71
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's a bit disappointing they seemingly don't intend to expand on the Galactic Alliance in the anime. There's the novel for that, but it probably won't ever be translated.
If the novel won't be officially translated, then we should make our own translation! Surely someone out there wouldn't mind acquiring the novel for translating!

Even if they're not willing to translate, I'm sure they'd be willing to share plot details and spoilers from the novel for everyone's benefit!
Old 2013-05-27, 06:38   Link #72
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Fate is just people talking for hours and boom fight scenes, Madoka is just omg he killed cute stuff so much plot and story best anime ever you never see people die in shounens see that moe bashers we have so much depth and plot
Them's fighting words!
Old 2013-05-27, 07:20   Link #73
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
I think that the concept of coexisting with the Hideauze is simply a huge fat lie people on Gargantia keep telling themselves when they have to stop all the engine and activities to be all silent when the Hideauze pass by them because they'll be annihilated if the Hideauze were to notice them.

They are just a bunch of annoying hypocrites who use firearms, the most effective killing tools in human history for self defence against the pirates. Guns are design to kill the enemies, not to simply save your ass! Also, they get angry when Ledo killed the pirates who were about to kill them... Everything Ledo does is wrong to them. They talk about their stupid ideals about peaceful coexistence with one another when they considered getting rid of Ledo when he first appeared. What a bunch of hypocrites!
I don't really think that the whalesquids didn't notice the Gargantia, they have eyes, a lot of them actually. I think that Fairlock simply wanted to make the fleet look as much as harmless as possible.

While I don't quite agree with your general assessment there is however one thing that really strikes me as very odd and that's the fact that nobody cares to know what these Hideauze that Ledo fears so much are.

It's not like they can think that he's telling lies. He pilots a robot that is like a walking nuclear bomb. It was clearly designed to fight and exterminate, that much is undeniable. If it was me I would seriously worry about the kind of enemy that requires such a tremendous weapon to be fought.

This strikes me however as a plot flaw rather than a reason to despise the Gargantians. It seems that simply the writers didn't want the Gargantians to seriously worry about the Hideauze or to make Ledo tell too much about them.

The part where Ridget was questioning Ledo was abruptly interrupted with some kind of excuse and then nobody bothered to resume it.

It kind of bothers me because if Ledo actually told Ridget everything that he knows about the alliance and the Hideauze then the latter at that point should logically ask:

"So let me get this straight, there are literally thousands of yunboroids like yours in the alliance and those aren't even your strongest weapons. You kept fighting against those Hideauze with such a massive force to no avail. And yet... you want to start a war against them by yourself, and you think you can win?"

Also Pinion and Flange would probably reconsider their plans if they knew what kind of beasts they are going to mess with. Right now they really have no idea. They just think those are some kind of dangerous squids and they don't think they can ever threaten the super-yunboroid Chamber, when in reality Ledo already lost a lot of comrades that were piloting the same machine.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-05-27 at 07:38.
Old 2013-05-27, 07:25   Link #74
Iron Maw
Banned

6000 years till any contact with Alliance? I had thought when Chamber sent his distress signal it had FTL capabilities, but I guess not. Why even bother with an SOS system if's going to take that long?

Well anyway, the scene with Bebel/Bevel was quite nice as was the handling of Amy's frustration with Ledo's dogged determination to see the end of Hideauze. I also like how it cleared that Ledo isn't just going after them because for Alliance, but for the sake of Garagntia and importantly Amy and Bevel. He's talk with Bevel also shows he's well aware what kind of place GA had to become to fight those creatures and he rather not risk it happening here. Whether he's wrong or right about the threat in the end, at least nobody can say he was doing it just for his masters.

The main point of episode dealing with Fairlock's death and Ridget's struggles with his absence unfortunately didn't leave much in the way of impact with me on the otherhand. Neither character had much on screen interaction together to derive much depth out of the emotional bond their might have had. Fairlock himself had too little screentime despite his importance and Ridget hasn't done much earn a whole lot of sympathy. I'm not even sure how this episode furthers her development beyond becoming Fleet Commander since doesn't address her flaws (in particular her questionable treatment of Ledo and her control freak like nature). So I can't say this week worked for me on whole.

Hopefully next week will just start the rather sluggish plot and pace.
Old 2013-05-27, 07:34   Link #75
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The funeral sequence gives us a chance to see Ridget make a variety of bad decisions in her first hours as Fleet Commander. She could have taken advantage of the situation to reinforce her new authority by directing the funeral events in a dignified manner. Instead she wants to engage the remaining command staff in a discussion of how to handle the fleet's separation. It seems rather forced, to be honest, given her adulation of the deceased Commander. I think we are supposed to see her unwillingness to don the funereal uniform as an symbol of how deeply she feels the loss. To put on the uniform confirms that the Commander has died. That she is unable to put aside her personal reaction and take command is a disturbing sign. Of course we end with the usual, rather hackneyed scene where she rallies the troops, and they all declare their troth.

I think she was ill-served by her senior staff. None of them suggested that they hold an immediate meeting to discuss what happens now that the Commander had died, and what to do about the division of Gargantia. Surely one of the staff members sympathetic to Ridget like the guy who said he was too old to serve as Commander could have taken her aside and given her some useful advice. Instead she comes across as so "rigid" that it takes Bellows of all people to suggest she learn how to delegate and rely on her advisors. None of this makes much sense from the perspective of an outside observer, except to confirm a patriarchal view of women in leadership roles, particularly the notion that women are "too emotional" to command effectively.
Old 2013-05-27, 07:54   Link #76
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
6000 years till any contact with Alliance? I had thought when Chamber sent his distress signal it had FTL capabilities, but I guess not. Why even bother with an SOS system if's going to take that long?
The SOS was sent months before Chamber deduced how far they were from the Alliance.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2013-05-27, 08:09   Link #77
Iron Maw
Banned

Okay that makes more sense.
Old 2013-05-27, 08:14   Link #78
Jetzero Infinity

This week's ep was pretty downbeat but we got some great emotional material here. Felt pretty sorry for Ridget with all the stress she had to go through this ep. Can't be easy suddenly losing a loved one and then having to try to fill their shoes right away. At least things were looking up for her by the end. The Ledo/Amy thing also went pretty south. Not remotely surprised at the twist that Ledo can't return to the Alliance. If that were actually going to be a possibility he probably would have been able to contact them much earlier in the story. I'm also not that surprised it hasn't really swayed Ledo's motivation, as good as that probably would have been for him. It's nice to see that Ledo's got good intentions for wanting to fight the Whalesquid/Hideauze but it's becoming increasingly obvious he doesn't know what he's getting into and I'm really curious to see where that plotline will ultimately end up.
Old 2013-05-27, 08:42   Link #79
Hamster

I'm just waiting for the Urobuchi suffering and despair before the final bittersweet end.
Old 2013-05-27, 08:53   Link #80
Iron Maw
Banned

Well you may be waiting forever then.
Closed Thread