AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-10-07, 22:27   Link #61
nicky.
animesuki
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United States of A.
The show feels so tryhard. The dialogue doesn't contribute much and it just wants to look cool.
nicky. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 22:35   Link #62
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
Right in this episode Dies tried to push some characters like the girl that was having sex with that man at the beginning while trying to be kind of "cool" but at the same time it was ridiculous, that's the way how edgy was used here. If is true that the series doesn't take itself seriously or not is up to debate because for now this has zero potential to be good with a mediocre episode like this one.
The poor guy saw something while in bed that he wasn't expecting to see that caused him to jump out of bed and run away. That was probably a missed point about that scene.


I think you'd have to play the game to follow the characters being introduced.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 22:44   Link #63
AB079
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The poor guy saw something while in bed that he wasn't expecting to see that caused him to jump out of bed and run away. That was probably a missed point about that scene.


I think you'd have to play the game to follow the characters being introduced.
Yeah, since the common route is on steam as other user suggested I think I'll give it a chance, after all its free!
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 23:03   Link #64
xeviouses
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ophir
The only thing I loved about this, was Heydrich guy punching people out of his way.

...Eh, I'll give it a shot, but is this like Fate? To better appreciate it I should have VN knowledge?
__________________
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 00:12   Link #65
AkitoW013
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
I think I'm stupid, I just missed that the 1st theme played during gladsheim was the Theme of Satanel from ParaLost...
AkitoW013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 00:20   Link #66
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
Are you trying to dismiss the next scenes with the same girl jumping out of the window in a very ridiculous dress to fight alongside the other guy? like c'mon, you can try better than that to defend the series you seems to like for some strange reason.
So? What about it? Fighting in a dress now is edgy? hellsing's Alucard is edgy....I don't see the similarity at all. At the very most I'll grant you that it's ridiculous but edgy? Your definition of edge is what's strange


What do you want to say is edgy and emo next? HexenNacht's Mary because she wears black and uses a scythe? Bank robbers who disguise themselves by cross-dressing? Cross-dressers in general?


Quote:
Originally Posted by drawr View Post
I really didn't get the impression this show was tongue in cheek at all. It seemed to be taking the magical nazi shenanigans very seriously.

Yes, but 'edginess' implies something beyond that. Case in point, hellsing or black lagoon or everyone's favorite example, that black hedgehog from sonic
__________________

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2017-10-08 at 00:36.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 01:16   Link #67
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkitoW013 View Post
I think I'm stupid, I just missed that the 1st theme played during gladsheim was the Theme of Satanel from ParaLost...
The one at the very beginning? Actually that's LDO's theme.
But yeah, it has some similarity to Satanel's theme.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 01:22   Link #68
AkitoW013
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Ah yes, you're right that's LDO's theme.

It's been a while since I've played DI and paralost.
AkitoW013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 08:21   Link #69
AB079
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
So? What about it? Fighting in a dress now is edgy? hellsing's Alucard is edgy....I don't see the similarity at all. At the very most I'll grant you that it's ridiculous but edgy? Your definition of edge is what's strange


What do you want to say is edgy and emo next? HexenNacht's Mary because she wears black and uses a scythe? Bank robbers who disguise themselves by cross-dressing? Cross-dressers in general?
Just by looking at the VN thread of Dies I can tell that you have a heavy bias towards this series and you will go out all the time to defend this.

But to be clear with you even when you're not willing to understand, I just used the most basic concept of edgy "Adjective. Taking coolness to its extreme and generally beyond the realm of actual possibility, while at the same time seemingly unaware of how ridiculous it is." In Dies case the devs probably designed these characters this way to make them look nice or cool but failed because it looks ridiculous and to be fair, maybe that's a problem of the anime adaptation.

Alucard is edgy? yes but it fits the theme of the series in a way that doesn't really look ridiculous because it was well executed while Dies is nothing but mediocre (speaking about the first episode). In Hexennacht if we talk about Mary sue, it fits her character too but sadly the way how she went from that type of dark and vengeful character to one that was almost reaching the point of being a simple jobber wasn't the best desition from Kawakami, but that's another problem not related to her design or personality.

Again, I know you're eager to defend this and you probably going to refuse to understand my point but whatever, when it comes to hardcore fans I know trying to discuss something is not the best choice.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 10:20   Link #70
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
I think understood the general gist of first episode, but it was executed in a pretty poor way. Maybe a one hour special might have helped, but looking at the overall production of the first episode the staff may not have had the budget or time for that. Since technically the story hasn't' started yet, it's kind of hard judge much of anything right now.

Last edited by Applehell; 2017-10-08 at 17:38.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 13:04   Link #71
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
Just by looking at the VN thread of Dies I can tell that you have a heavy bias towards this series and you will go out all the time to defend this.

But to be clear with you even when you're not willing to understand, I just used the most basic concept of edgy "Adjective. Taking coolness to its extreme and generally beyond the realm of actual possibility, while at the same time seemingly unaware of how ridiculous it is." In Dies case the devs probably designed these characters this way to make them look nice or cool but failed because it looks ridiculous and to be fair, maybe that's a problem of the anime adaptation.

Alucard is edgy? yes but it fits the theme of the series in a way that doesn't really look ridiculous because it was well executed while Dies is nothing but mediocre (speaking about the first episode). In Hexennacht if we talk about Mary sue, it fits her character too but sadly the way how she went from that type of dark and vengeful character to one that was almost reaching the point of being a simple jobber wasn't the best desition from Kawakami, but that's another problem not related to her design or personality.

Again, I know you're eager to defend this and you probably going to refuse to understand my point but whatever, when it comes to hardcore fans I know trying to discuss something is not the best choice.
My interpretation is different from Cosmic on the matter, but I can already see some problem in your argument.
First, the definition if edgy you choose to use imply there is a lack of self awareness on the writer's on what gas been written. But that definitely is not the case. Anyone has some remote knowledge on Masada's style knows he know very well he is doing. He is very conscious about his chuuni-ness and that he is doing it for the chuuni.

And it is weird for you to say that Alucard fits it's own theme but DI does not. Remember, DI is a series about psycho chuuni doing psycho chuuni things. And you are saying when some totally over the top psycho chuuni thing is done, it does not fit the theme if the show?
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 13:30   Link #72
AB079
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
My interpretation is different from Cosmic on the matter, but I can already see some problem in your argument.
First, the definition if edgy you choose to use imply there is a lack of self awareness on the writer's on what gas been written. But that definitely is not the case. Anyone has some remote knowledge on Masada's style knows he know very well he is doing. He is very conscious about his chuuni-ness and that he is doing it for the chuuni.

And it is weird for you to say that Alucard fits it's own theme but DI does not. Remember, DI is a series about psycho chuuni doing psycho chuuni things. And you are saying when some totally over the top psycho chuuni thing is done, it does not fit the theme if the show?
Check the previous page where other people who knows the source of the series explained that this has a strong chuuni focus, which is not something that someone who has no idea about the source (like myself) will know straight away. Now I understand that if I took that POV explained by other users here then I can say it make sense, but from the anime-only POV I can't say it works and it looks ridiculous because is like "too much", that's my issue with this and I hope you understand that.

Is almost like you're expecting people should know about this from the beginning without taking in consideration what the anime-only viewers can think about it.

Last edited by AB079; 2017-10-08 at 14:39.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 15:27   Link #73
IceHism
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
That was a weird ep0 to introduce the LDO and reaffirm Reinhard's love for the world. I couldn't tell what they were going for tbh. Also red Anna not being a loli threw me off. I think it would have been ok if the animation wasn't so bad.

They skipped the part where Reinhard made everyone suicide in Germany. Nooo. What if they shorten or skip the chants. That was the only thing I want from this adaption.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 15:29   Link #74
ArrowSmith
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Just another highly stylized battle anime, skipping.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-10, 11:50   Link #75
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
Just by looking at the VN thread of Dies I can tell that you have a heavy bias towards this series and you will go out all the time to defend this.

But to be clear with you even when you're not willing to understand, I just used the most basic concept of edgy "Adjective. Taking coolness to its extreme and generally beyond the realm of actual possibility, while at the same time seemingly unaware of how ridiculous it is." In Dies case the devs probably designed these characters this way to make them look nice or cool but failed because it looks ridiculous and to be fair, maybe that's a problem of the anime adaptation.

Alucard is edgy? yes but it fits the theme of the series in a way that doesn't really look ridiculous because it was well executed while Dies is nothing but mediocre (speaking about the first episode). In Hexennacht if we talk about Mary sue, it fits her character too but sadly the way how she went from that type of dark and vengeful character to one that was almost reaching the point of being a simple jobber wasn't the best desition from Kawakami, but that's another problem not related to her design or personality.

Again, I know you're eager to defend this and you probably going to refuse to understand my point but whatever, when it comes to hardcore fans I know trying to discuss something is not the best choice.
Don't be mistaken, I am not defending the show. I am not addressing those who subjectively do not agree with this show nor am I trying to justify it to them. Rather I am addressing you, taking issue with your using such a specific term to label aspects of a scene when there isn't enough information demonstrated for it


The whole issue is that your definition of the term appears to differ from how its generally portrayed, which is "overly dark or brutal simply for the sake of it or attempts to be but fails at it." You think Alucard isn't ridiculous and that he's well executed, fair enough, it's a subjective opinion even if to me he's a walking parody at best (or not? I don't really know with Hellsing if it takes itself seriously) and at worst a plot device for introducing excessive violence without any good reason and minimal characterization (the definition of edge)

However the scene you are talking about literally is someone in a white dress killing a sex partner and falling out a window before going to fight another guy in a rather bland manner. It's 4 actions at most. You want to put a label on something based on something so skimpy? Or in other words, Alucard isn't edge simply because he wears red and shit talks. He has actually done way more over his story to justify the term.


And finally....I don't think Mary fits the definition for edge at all either. She's much too well fleshed out for that. So it may indeed be a difference in your interpretation but even then, the point about affixing a specific label based on a character's scenes where the character literally does nothing but screw someone, kill him, drop out of a window and grapple another guy all in an awkward manner with minimal exposition, still stands.

Quote:
Is almost like you're expecting people should know about this from the beginning without taking in consideration what the anime-only viewers can think about it.
Yes, I am speaking in consideration of a first time viewer's POV. 4 flat actions alone tell you absolutely nothing at all about a character
__________________

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2017-10-10 at 12:29.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-10, 13:38   Link #76
RectangularCat
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: St. Petersburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I was having a good time laughing looking at Karl dancing around he did the talking. It's already 10/10 for me
Same here XD

The episode was good, the visuals in general were nice and even the fights weren't as bad as most people say. Also, many might disagree with me, but in my opinion the decision to start with Die Morgendämmerung was the right one, especially given the medium and time limit. That was a nice way to introduce the L.D.O. members, show a bit of their powers and provide some information on worldbuilding to those who are unfamiliar with the VN. Sure, the episode may seem confusing, but it only requires the audience to pay some attention.

Have to say I liked the composition. It was nice to see them start with the final battle and then switch to the past, showing Reinhard who happened to have a strange dream. That hints at recurrence, and besides that was one of my favorite moments in the novel, so I'm glad they've used it. Despite being cut short, the prison scene was done perfectly, a pleasure to the eye. Some other scenes were changed, but I don't really mind, since they've kept all the important stuff and managed to convey the necessary feelings, at least, for me. I liked how the talk between Rusalka and Trifa hinted at their backstories. Reinhard's awakening scene was very powerful (Is it just me, or they've sligthly changed Letzte Bataillon?), Karl was awesome as always. Also, Eleonore atop the Brandenburg gate looked so badass.

Still can't believe this is actually happening.
__________________
"Don't let anything or anyone hold you back. All worlds, all of time are yours to explore" (c)
RectangularCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 02:29   Link #77
Krudelu
???
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: ???
After hearing from someone in other place that it's going to be Tsukihime 2.0, I decided to give this adaptation a look out of curiosity.

Okay, as someone who read the VN, from what I'm seeing, the episode feels more like a fanservice for the VN readers. I'll be honest here but the episode looks like a mess.

Sure that we VN readers know what is exactly going on but this episode is not newcomer friendly (especially if they picked it in the anime season chart or just ride the bandwagon since it was "one of the most anticipated animes out there") so if some of the newcomers end up not understanding a thing and gave up due to this episode, I guess I can't really blame them on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
Yeah, since the common route is on steam as other user suggested I think I'll give it a chance, after all its free!
I'll just leave it here just in case especially for those who wish to do this as well
Spoiler for steam and some spoilers:
Krudelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 13:51   Link #78
Stark700
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Somewhere on Earth
Well, episode 1 turned out to be better than the messy episode 0.

The school life setting, eerie song, etc. I'm really curious about that golden girl Ren kept having visions about. Not really impressed by the theme song. It just feels average. The other characters feels like they are just there right now.

Still, this week's episode made me curious about rest of the series.
__________________
<img src=http://i.imgur.com/Kze54WA.png border=0 alt= />
Stark700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 14:59   Link #79
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dollars
Biggest surprise for me is the guillotine song which is far better than the VN and actually sounds like an actual song now . I heard they got guys who donated their kickstarter to sing it.
__________________
「何かが起こっても、わたくしが守ります」

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-13, 18:41   Link #80
Nivek von Beldo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
This series give me massive Lunar Legend Tsuhikime vibes and that episode when far better 0 did make pretty obvious set a lot of walking mysteries.

Rie-Senpai was a troll in first level
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
harem, not harem

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.