AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-14, 14:09   Link #81
LKK

Funimation just announced streaming & home video rights for the series for Yona of the Dawn. [Source]

Just between you, me, and the rest of the forum, I expected Sentai to pick up the home license.

I thought episode 2 was as strong as episode 1, and that's a good thing. I'm sad though that the young palace aide died. I was hoping he'd turn out to be the youngster in the credits. I really wanted him to be rewarded for his courage.

I wonder if Soo-Won's history lesson was the truth. I believe that he believed what he said about the king. (A roundabout way of saying I don't think he was lying.) But is that what really happened? How does he know what he claims? I think there has to be more to that event than we've been told.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2014-10-14 at 14:15. Reason: spelling these names is gonna be the death of me
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 14:25   Link #82
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
So in the end Soo-won's actions come down to plain revenge. Maybe he saw something as a kid, but the whole story seems pretty ridiculous. First of all that guy killing his combat god older brother seems pretty hard to believe. Honestly if he did stab him with a sword I'm already guessing mercy killing. Maybe it ties into Yona's mother or something also.

Props to the guy who got killed to assist in the escape. Saved those two a couple times and should be remembered on that point.

Felt pretty bad that Yona even had to ask if Hak was her ally. An "of course " is hard to apply here considering the one other person she really trusted was the one who murdered her father. Kind of hard to have a high level of faith about anyone immediately after that kind of trauma.

Guess the key for now will be to recover from this event and figure out where to go next. Will also depend on how Soo-won spins this event. The guy also feels like someone being used and I wonder if someone is pulling his strings behind the scenes.
Old 2014-10-14, 16:15   Link #83
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Pretty good adaptation, strong candidate for best manga to anime adaptation. This seems a bit more shoneny then the manga, which given the plot is probably for the best.

Don't really agree with the Ange comparisons earlier on. Ange is dark fantasy, this is historical-esque. No point in comparing, just enjoy the one you like more or both.
Old 2014-10-14, 16:39   Link #84
carmolita

I really love this anime it has a balance and a plot...and lots of hot guys *grins* guess that makes this a reverse harem reminds me a bit of the story of saiunkoku. It appears that Soo-Won is being manipulated by that noble idiot guy and might not find out the truth until later.. I must admit he had me fooled... one moment their were scenes reminiscent of Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii and then it got serious real quick..... So far ..I'm loving it can't wait for the next episode... I'm addicted
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 17:09   Link #85
Shana

So I binge-read all there is available in English of the manga. I wish they'd emphasized why king Il killed Soo-Won's father (it's not a good reason, but makes the whole thing believeable enough).

Also about the flashforward at the end of the episode...

Spoiler for manga:
Old 2014-10-14, 17:36   Link #86
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 02

Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Great! This is sooooo good. I am really, really enjoying the adaptation. I like the fact that it is taking it's time as well. With 2 cour why not?

Hak is awesome (thunder beast indeed!), but Soo-won can certainly handle himself well with a sword too - not just a "pretty boy". And Yona ... poor Yona ... talk about being in a state of shock! And it is a little dramatized, but only a little. When something like that occurs to someone it is very, very possible to be in a state like that for days - it happened to me as well. (In my case it was so bad I literally lost all sense of direction and my reaction time was cut to 1/3 of what it normally was.)

Am also a little curious about the choice to put a sort of mini pv before the ED about where things were headed in terms of those traveling with her. However ... plenty of time for showing how she, Hak and they all meet.

Oh yes - the OP is stupendous. Period. For me the best OP of the season, only thing somewhat close is the OP of Parasyte.
Old 2014-10-14, 18:13   Link #87
Irenesharda

I simply liked this series at first, but now I'm completely loving it.

Yona is loads better than Ange, and I'm really glad I tried this series.

So, it looks like there's a whole lot of grey area going on. This isn't some simple black and white, good and evil story.

So the circle of hatred returns as it seems that Soo-wan is getting vengeance for his father who was supposedly killed by King Il. He doesn't really want the throne, but he will see justice done for his father and for the people. It seems as the royal family has been staying in their castle, the land has begun to fall to ruin and the people are getting over run. Soo-wan simply wants to do what he thinks is right.

Now, if King Il killed his brother, Soo-wan's father, than I can't really fault him for trying to get justice, especially in this era. However, his desire for justice and revenge has cost him the friendship of Hak and Yona. It is the cruel hands of fate that has thrust these characters here. However, I'm beginning to think there is something else going on here. I mean, Soo-wan's father was in the army and a great warrior and campaigner. His brother was a cowardly marshmallow. How the heck did the king kill his brother with a sword? And for what reason? Both men seemed happy in their places in life, so what happened? And the fact that the king covered up his brother's death as an "accident" isn't helping his case. but what happened? Did Il catch him by surprise or something?

I think there is definitely a lot more here than meets the eye.

I knew the servant boy was going to die, but it was still kind of sad. I feel sorry for Yona, who had her whole world crash around her. And I really like the sort of rebel leader she became. Despite having no mechs or guns, she's a heck of a lot more interesting a believable than Princess Angelise.

I also like that Hak couldn't believe Soo-wan would do that either, how close the three of them had been, only for the cold betrayal. And Hak isn't even interested in the princess, which is a shock. He wanted her to be happy with Soo-wan and thought they were prefect for each other, and now he's the only one left that can look after her. And his promise to stay by her side isn't sappy, you really feel for how broken she is and how much he wants to help her simply as the only friend she had left.

I'm guessing she's going to gather the other generals to her, and she will begin her transformation into a worthy leader of her people. And from that end shot there, I'd say she becomes quite the warrior queen.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 19:26   Link #88
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Ep2 was great! This series will probably be the best series this season for me. The anime adaptation is looking really good so far. 2nd ep really fleshed out the scenes that we saw near the end of ep1 and conveyed a better understanding of the situation and characters' emotions.

The part where Yona asked if Hak was still her ally was a good scene - conveyed well of her dire situation and her feelings of betrayal and uncertainty.

I think Soo-won truly loved Yona but threw away his love for revenge. And I can't help but strongly feel that Soo-won is being manipulated - fed lies that he foolishly believed to be true - and is used to overthrow King Il. It's really hard to imagine someone like King Il to actually commit murder...especially against his own brother, no less. There must be something more to the story Soo-won told. When Soo-won will eventually know of the truth, it will be a great devastation for him, and most certainly he will have lost Yona by then.

Am I the only one who's highly suspicious of Soo-won's retainer? I feel he's part of the group (or maybe he himself) that is manipulating Soo-won. And who and where did these foreign soldiers and people that Soo-won brought with him come from? I don't think they're from Kouka.

I feel sorry for Min-soo, the servant that helped them escape. I was half hoping that he would be able to escape and meet up with them later in the series but I guess his death was better to give a stronger impact to the story...still...very sad.

I really like Yona's seiyuu...she's doing a really good job playing Yona as the innocent and naive Princess as well as the strong and persevering woman she later becomes. Her voice conveys both persona very well.

Can't wait for the next episode...and I can't wait to see that adorable squirrel!

Does anyone know how much of the manga the anime will cover (ie. number of chapters)? The manga is still ongoing right?

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 19:42   Link #89
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Does anyone know how much of the manga the anime will cover (ie. number of chapters)? The manga is still ongoing right?
There's ~80 manga chapters and I think with a little corner-cutting it's possible to adapt them all (wishful thinking? hope not ).
Old 2014-10-14, 19:42   Link #90
HandofFate

I don't see the comparison between this and Ange at all. Totally different things.

Anyway, just watched episode 1 and 2.
Wow. Amazing action. Hak is a BEAST!
When I first read the synopsis, I thought it was going to be an abusive shoujo like Wolf Girl & Black Prince, but its more of a badass otome series and reminds me a lot of Sengoku Basara.

Also, loving the BGM. A lot of series this season have been really quiet, so glad this series has some nice instrumentals thruout the battles.
T_T @ Sin-woo dying.

I was worried the Princess was just going to be helpless, but from the flashforward/back whatever, it looks like she becomes badass herself. Love what's going to be in store.

Also, this reminds me a bit of another series, the MC was also a noble blood with unusual hair color, only she wanted to be a medicine maker. Any idea what title I'm thinking of?

I just really really hope the Princess doesn't end up going easy and keep thinking and actually still loving Soo Woo.
Old 2014-10-14, 19:48   Link #91
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I just really really hope the Princess doesn't end up going easy and keep thinking and actually still loving Soo Woo.
I agree with you. I hope she doesn't fall into that typical shoujo cliche with the heroine still clinging to the traitorous antagonist on/off throughout the series. I hope she makes a stand and sticks to it!

Quote:
Also, this reminds me a bit of another series, the MC was also a noble blood with unusual hair color, only she wanted to be a medicine maker. Any idea what title I'm thinking of?
I can only think of the manga Akagami no Shirayukihime, based on your description. Can't think of any anime series like that...but then we know how my memory works. >_<;;

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2014-10-14, 20:11   Link #92
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm really finding it hard to believe the story of Yona's father killing his brother. There just isn't much motive for it. Maybe he was jealous of his brother's popularity? It seems iffy. If he did kill him which I find doubtful there is definitely something big that is still unknown about the situation.

I sure hope they don't go too cliche with Yona and Soo-won. The guy killed your father and agreed to have you executed. Let's take the guy down and just endure some minor grief about an old friend being put down. But of course they'll have to keep some romantic spark there so this reverse harem has more options.
Old 2014-10-14, 21:35   Link #93
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
I don't see the comparison between this and Ange at all. Totally different things.
It's completely different beyond the initial conception, they just happen to be two shows starting with a similar premise.
(princess loved by the people, ignorant of real situation, parent murdered by betrayal of loved one, throne usurped, the start of episode shows the princess grown, turned into hardened warrior)
Sort of like if Sword Art Online and Log Horizon started in the same season.

Last edited by aohige; 2014-10-14 at 21:49.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 22:34   Link #94
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
There's ~80 manga chapters and I think with a little corner-cutting it's possible to adapt them all (wishful thinking? hope not ).
Thanks! Then there's a lot of material to cover. The manga is still ongoing, right?

Quote:
So I binge-read all there is available in English of the manga. I wish they'd emphasized why king Il killed Soo-Won's father (it's not a good reason, but makes the whole thing believeable enough).

I think the flashfowards act like teasers (or makes it feel like all the events happening are flashbacks, retold by Yona) but I think they will cover the events that will lead up to that scene.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2014-10-14, 22:36   Link #95
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
I know that there's a lot of chapters to cover, so I'm hoping that there would be more development for Yona instead of skipping it to the present. That would be a frickin' waste if they skip that for a 2-cour anime series.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 22:51   Link #96
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Currently there are 96 chapters of Yona, holy jeezus, but don't worry, it doesn't take nearly that long for Yona's development to get underway (since there's no way we're getting all of that, my best guess is that we'll end somewhere in the 60s?)
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 23:04   Link #97
Esclair

The appearance of magical flying ninjas at the end threw me for a loop.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-15, 01:21   Link #98
BPD Renegade

Am I the only one that was disappointed by this episode? Everything that happened seemed predictable, and except for the servant's death, expected. This would probably drop to a third tier watch for me after this episode, but I'm still banking on the teasers we've been shown and manga-readers saying it picks up after she loses the hair, so for now, it'll remain in tier two.
I guess I should also admit that I'm being harsher in judging this because of the fact that I know Pierrot can animate better than this. I was hoping for quality maybe not on par with Korra, but better that what we've been shown. It feels like it's been given the budget of a Naruto filler episode. I could not feel any energy in the action or urgency at all. The fight between Soo-won and Hak was good, but for everything else, Hak just waves his spear around and the blade barely touches his kills. Is this supposed to be some special ability, or is it lazy animation?

Meanwhile, I'm with PreSage in thinking that Soo-won's being manipulated by the dark-haired guy. So far, except for the twist with Soo-won (which was played to death in the PV, so it wasn't a real surprise), everything's turning out to be straight-forward in terms of character direction, and the show's really pushing the retainer to look like some shady manipulator. Soo-won doesn't seem like he genuinely wants to take the throne or commit regicide, but is doing it out of duty from something he was told. Regardless, the revelation garnered more of a 'here we go again' reaction from me, rather than any sympathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I thought episode 2 was as strong as episode 1, and that's a good thing. I'm sad though that the young palace aide died. I was hoping he'd turn out to be the youngster in the credits. I really wanted him to be rewarded for his courage.
I also didn't want him to die. It was a surprise when he did, because I thought he was the kid in the opening as well.

Quote:

Spoiler for manga:
Well, thanks for ruining the speculation about whether the king really killed his brother...

About the flash forwards, I'm not a manga reader, so this is just my guess, but it's probably to keep viewers from dropping it after the first couple episodes. Sort of a "We know it's one cliché after another, but hang in there, it gets better!" thing. As a disclaimer, I have nothing against clichés, but the show hasn't really executed them in a gripping manner so far. Right now, the teasers are the only thing telling us that this has the potential to rise above its current state of averageness. Only a manga reader can tell us for sure.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-15, 01:35   Link #99
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
Well, thanks for ruining the speculation about whether the king really killed his brother...
There isn't any evidence that he killed him or not, but Soo-Won said he did, so unless otherwise proven, I'll say he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Currently there are 96 chapters of Yona, holy jeezus, but don't worry, it doesn't take nearly that long for Yona's development to get underway (since there's no way we're getting all of that, my best guess is that we'll end somewhere in the 60s?)
Spoiler for manga:
Old 2014-10-15, 07:43   Link #100
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Episode 2. Wow. Am I seeing something that is potentially Seirei no Moribito quality in storytelling and presentation in the fantasy genre after 8 years?

This episode was significantly better than the first episode where half of it was annoying shojo tropes with the other half being pretty solid. But this episode just blew me away. Dark horse of the season for me.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, akatsuki no yona, anime, fantasy, reverse harem, romance, shoujo, yona of the dawn