Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-11-02, 14:13   Link #1
Tatsukishi
Junior Anime Addict

Something to smile

Hey there,

I recently stumbled over some nice animes that constantly made me smile/laugh thanks to cuteness overload and am now on the search for more of them. Here the ones I've stumbled over:

Acchi Kocchi: I just love the art style and the comedy was extremely refreshing compared to what I usually get. Only weak point is that in the end there isn't any real progress made.

Aishiteruze Baby: Yuzuyu is absolutely adorable! I also liked the romance touch.
Usagi Drop: Similar to Aishiteruze and a very nice art style.

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko: The weakest in the "constant smile" category but still managed to cause a lot of smiles.

I know I'm no good in describing what I like about the different series... but i tried to at least give some orientation
Old 2013-11-02, 16:27   Link #2
Dawnstorm

Ichigo Marshmellow seems to fit the bill. Big sis taking care of her sister and friends. (Though sometimes the little sister seems more responsible, it's the big sis who's got a job.)

Less sure about this, but maybe Kimi no Todoke. Ostensibly a romance, it's really the story of an outsider opening up. Very slow-paced, though. Great show and definitely produced a lot of smiles from me, though I'm not sure it's quite what you're looking for. (Check it out anyway. )

And if you're up for something totally different that has that feel, I recommend Shirokuma Café. It's about a polar bear who runs a café, and it's one of the most smile inducing shows I've ever seen.

Also maybe the often overlooked Nekogami Yaoyorozu, which is about a lazy cat goddes who lives with an antique dealer(?been a while; I might misremember the job?). Includes lots of other fun deities, too.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 22:44   Link #3
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Kiniro Mosaic. Personally the best of its genre. I still suffer a slight withdrawal from time to time after it finished airing last season.

There are tons other shows like this but I shall recommend just this for now.
Old 2013-11-03, 03:40   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'll strongly second Kiniro Mosaic is a wonderful show of this type.

I'd also suggest Working!! and A-Channel, both fit into this same kinda of series.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 09:55   Link #5
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

I wholeheartedly recommend Gin no Saji (aka Silver Spoon) if you haven't seen it before.
that show puts a smile on my face. I didn't think a farming show actually made
me love it so much; it's quite loving, charming and warm.

I can go on and on with the show, you'll have to watch it and see it for yourself.

and Mikage Aki from that series. <3
Old 2013-11-04, 12:02   Link #6
Tatsukishi
Junior Anime Addict

Thanks for the many suggestions, looks very promising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
Less sure about this, but maybe Kimi no Todoke. Ostensibly a romance, it's really the story of an outsider opening up. Very slow-paced, though. Great show and definitely produced a lot of smiles from me, though I'm not sure it's quite what you're looking for. (Check it out anyway. )
I started watching this directly after starting the thread since I "had" to watch something and it was on my want to watch list. It's not exactly what I'm searching for here but still a good watch (I'm currently nearing the end of season 2).
Old 2013-11-04, 16:41   Link #7
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsukishi View Post
I started watching this directly after starting the thread since I "had" to watch something and it was on my want to watch list. It's not exactly what I'm searching for here but still a good watch (I'm currently nearing the end of season 2).
I thought it was a bit dodgy for this thread, but I'm glad you're enjoying this. (And if you made it this far... Most people who don't like it lose patience during the first season, and I think the first season is a lot better than the second [though the second has its moments]).

Interesting coincidence.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 23:18   Link #8
Theowne
耳をすませば

If you don't mind older series, I think you would enjoy Kodomo no Omocha. It's an extremely smile-inducing kind of series, though it takes a few episodes to settle in.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 23:30   Link #9
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
How about the Aria series?
Old 2013-11-11, 09:45   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I recommend Hidamari Sketch for the "cute-high-school-girls-do-cute-things" genre. It's a SHAFT production by Akiyuki Shinbo, better known these days for Madoka Magica.

Lucky Star has its moments though you might wonder why the first episode spends so much time focusing on eating chocolate cornucopias. It's from Kyoto Animation and has a bunch of in-jokes that reference the studio's famous Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. The lead role in both shows is played by Hirano Aya.

Another excellent show that largely flew under the radar was Ikoku Meiro no Croiseé, a culture-clash story about a 16-yo Japanese girl who travels to late 19th century Paris to work for an ironmonger. Yune ran a strong race against Rin from Usagi Drop for cutest character of 2011.

Finally if you're open to a show with a mix of comedy and drama, I'll suggest Kurenai. A sixteen-year-old boy with an unusual and dangerous part-time job becomes the caretaker for a seven-year-old heiress named Murasaki. This was the breakout voice acting performance by Yuuki Aoi who has since appeared in a number of prominent roles.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 17:17   Link #11
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
How about the Aria series?
I'll second Aria. It's the absolutely best "healing" show that I've ever seen and I can hardly remember an episode where I wasn't smiling and left with a warm heart at the end.

Hidamari Sketch and Tamayura are good follow ups to Aria but aren't quite as amazing imho. Still great shows though, the first one in particular.