AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-05-15, 10:26   Link #201
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

the society here is pretty much liberal so there's no harm if you say you're into anime.

just avoid those old conservatives telling that anime is for 'kids'

psshh, BS!
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 15:14   Link #202
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I think only my closest friends know for sure that I'm watching anime since I keep pestering them with the subject ^^.
However outside of that little circle I think some know I watch since I talk about it rather often in public...not that I care if they have anything against it.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 15:48   Link #203
Da~Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Ouch, man. Ouch.

Honestly, I'd quit too if I were him, and quicker than that too, perhaps with a big "fuck you" to go with it. If your university is big enough, I'm sure he'll find a more accepting niche somewhere else. It's probably not worth it hanging out with such people in the first place anyway, if they're so concerned about "image" that they'd ostracize a good player for god knows why like that.
Yeah well, I would have quit if it wasn't the only Jazz band in college. I've played enough rock in the past to want a change. I would've tried to form another band with the ace bass player but it seems the other jazz band members weren't alone in thinking relatively lowly of cartoon watching men, so getting other members in along with us (who watch their rep so they can perform more I think) would've have been difficult.

It's usually the case for most musicians anyway. They usually try to keep a certain image so that they sell better. That said, I've never heard of a single anime watching jazz band to date.

Oh well, thankfully I'll be graduating from my university soon.
Don't know what more life will throw at us for this hobby in the future...
Da~Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 12:38   Link #204
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
old thread ressurection rules)

until recently, i've been going to a lot of job interviews and one of the common questions was
"what are your hobbies?". every time i had to restrain myself from answering "anime".
i can guarantee, they wouldnt have hired me))
besides that, i dont tell most people about anime, because i'm too lazy to answer the question that follows - "what is anime?"
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 13:12   Link #205
Endrance
~Rock ☆~
*Graphic Designer

yeh thats how i am i dont feel like explaining to people what anime is so i just dont bother mentioning it
Old 2009-04-03, 13:34   Link #206
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I tell it to whoever is close enough to me to talk about hobbies. Certainly i wouldn't tell it to my employer and neither to my teacher...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 17:20   Link #207
kyousukey

I dont out of the blue tell people but if something comes up i sometimes say something anime related and everyones like " whaaa? O.o" then i have to explain xD
kyousukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 23:06   Link #208
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
old thread ressurection rules)

until recently, i've been going to a lot of job interviews and one of the common questions was
"what are your hobbies?". every time i had to restrain myself from answering "anime".
i can guarantee, they wouldnt have hired me))
besides that, i dont tell most people about anime, because i'm too lazy to answer the question that follows - "what is anime?"
Must be a Russia thing, in the US employers aren't allowed to ask about your hobbies (for just that reason).

I'd suggest the hobby name of: World Cultural Studies -- just say you're interested and like to read about cultures around the world.
Old 2009-04-03, 23:20   Link #209
LeoXiao
思想工作

I've never "told" anybody I watch anime, but everybody I know really well knows that I do. I bring it up with my friends or mom every once in a while (sometimes my friends and I will watch an anime movie together), but I don't talk about it too much otherwise. There's nobody else I know who is interested in what I do.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 01:50   Link #210
othera

If someone asks, I'll say yes.

Only time someones asked is when they have seen me checking out anime dvd's at the shops and stuff, Though i don't really talk about anything with my friends/family I think my mother, a friend and 1 brother know i like anime.

I'd talk to more people about it, if they didn't all think it was cartoons for 5 year olds(The friend that knows i like anime sais OH HEY U WOULD LIEK THAT every time he see's something japanese which is quite annoying)
othera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 02:40   Link #211
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

To answer the question; no, I've never actively told people that I watched anime. Mostly becuase it never comes up, whenever I've been in a group of peers and was talking about television, I've enjoyed a good amount of cable programming to where I don't feel a need to mention it. I do have a cousin that's into anime, so whenever I feel the need to discuss the release of something new or get a suggestion irl, I go to her(though, I end up doing most of the suggesting.)

I don't really know about where you guys live, but when I was in high school, I never heard or saw anything about anyone getting picked on about watching anime. Mostly, I think it's because of series on Adult Swim like The Venture Bros., Robot Chicken, Frisky Dingo, and the more popular The Boondocks. These shows, especially The Boondocks, were so popular in my high school that students would actually shout out one-liners from the show and most of the class would get the joke. It sort of made those raunchy cartoons/animation awesome to discuss again, discounting the obvious stuff, like South Park. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-04-04 at 04:07.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 09:14   Link #212
Kizer
Super Robot Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Kizer Send a message via MSN to Kizer
I don't go out of my way to tell people I watch anime because I do not feel it's important. If they ask me however, I'll say "Yea, but I am very particular as to what I watch". Though I am very confident almost everyone knows I do. Their opinion of me hasn't changed THAT much. I guess it's because it's not painfully obvious if you talk to me about anything else.
Kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 09:58   Link #213
christine_cute
A total anime freak^^

No because then some people just make fun of me saying that i watch "cartoons" and i dont have other stuffs to do......and anyways i have a friend-circle, online-groups, forums like animesuki where i am satisfied.
christine_cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 17:45   Link #214
Kizer
Super Robot Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Kizer Send a message via MSN to Kizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine_cute View Post
No because then some people just make fun of me saying that i watch "cartoons" and i dont have other stuffs to do......and anyways i have a friend-circle, online-groups, forums like animesuki where i am satisfied.
and then you bring up "So what? Cartoons aren't just for kids. There are more adult cartoons too."
Then you bring up shows like Family guy and stuff. Shows that you could be the dumbest person on the planet and the jokes are just so simple you can still find them funny.
Kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 07:30   Link #215
KimmyChan

I've always told my friends and work colleagues that I watch anime

And they're all cool with it, but some of them don't know what anime is
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 07:57   Link #216
klowny
OH NO

No i don't really tell people i watch anime because well it never comes up in conversation, we usually talk about other things like college or whats going on in the hood
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 09:08   Link #217
jerkette
Sore Ga, Ai Deshou! <3

I don't open the topic first. I don't tell anything to anyone unless I discovered that they're into anime too.

"Not everything is as it seems."
jerkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 19:59   Link #218
animeboy12

I very secretive about my anime hobby. It's not that I'm ashamed of it but I just don't feel like explaining to everyone that anime is more than DBZ, pokemon, or naruto. Personally I really don't care, I'm a senior in highschool so most of the people I know are the typical anime fans and don't really care for any deep insight in an anime.
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 21:05   Link #219
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

I see I have lots of company in the 'I talk about it if it comes up, but I don't go out of my way to tell people' camp. Validating my preference for anime to critics is an unnecessary hassle, easily avoided by not volunteering the information.

At the same time, I don't go to any special lengths to keep it a secret. If someone is curious about all the DvDs, books, or my desktop wallpaper, they can ask. Then I'll give them the primer on anime.
Pixelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 00:26   Link #220
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

It's always fun to see old thread keep popping up again, but I guess that just shows how much the topic is discussed.

As for me, it depends on people. I have few friends who watched maybe couple animes in their lifetime, and they aren't in the mindset of anime are for kids, and these friend I don't mind telling that I watch anime. Also, close friends who don't really care whether I watch anime or not, I tell them that I do when I do. But people who I don't really know, I don't bother telling them about anime, as its not a hobby that's commonly shared, and I would gain nothing (but maybe lose something) should I tell them that I watch anime.