AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2014-02-10, 16:42   Link #561
Galaxian

The first time a Gundam fought a Taurus it got thoroughly defeated. The Virgo also overwhelmed them at first.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 16:45   Link #562
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
The first time a Gundam fought a Taurus it got thoroughly defeated. The Virgo also overwhelmed them at first.
Part of the reason was really to get the Deathscythe Hell and Altron. Otherwise, as I said, they only seemed threatening for the first couple battles against the Gundam pilots before they are turned into more cannon fodder that gets easily owned. Then, it wasn't until Zechs threw out the Virgo IIs with the new Mobile Doll System mixed with the Epyon System did they, again, provide difficulty that required Quattre to use the ZERO System in Sandrock to counter Dorothy's use of them, only for him to take it out right after and then never really having a problem with them again afterwards, reduced to more cannon fodder pretty much.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 16:53   Link #563
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Part of the reason was really to get the Deathscythe Hell and Altron. Otherwise, as I said, they only seemed threatening for the first couple battles against the Gundam pilots before they are turned into more cannon fodder that gets easily owned. Then, it wasn't until Zechs threw out the Virgo IIs with the new Mobile Doll System mixed with the Epyon System did they, again, provide difficulty that required Quattre to use the ZERO System in Sandrock to counter Dorothy's use of them, only for him to take it out right after and then never really having a problem with them again afterwards, reduced to more cannon fodder pretty much.
They did a lot better than the GN-X that were beaten without without the Gundam needing to upgrade.
Old 2014-02-10, 17:03   Link #564
kakakka

Uh no. The GN-Xs were thoroughly beaten only by the Gundams taking on upgrades/parts and Trans-Am.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 17:41   Link #565
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
Uh no. The GN-Xs were thoroughly beaten only by the Gundams taking on upgrades/parts and Trans-Am.
They were still the same MS. Wing had to replace 3 Gundam to keep up.
Old 2014-02-10, 18:07   Link #566
kakakka

Quote:
Regardless, they were upgraded to do the job.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 20:54   Link #567
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Technically, one could say that Deathscythe Hell and Altron were the "same" MS, but upgraded too. After all, they were essentially the same base designs, but much better in their stronger areas. Even Wing Gundam has very heavy (obvious) influence from Wing Gundam Zero.

Heavyarms Kai and Sandrock Kai both receiving minor improvements in armament (2nd beam gatling gun for Heavyarms Kai and the beam submachine gun for Sandrock Kai), but primarily just upgraded for space mobility since, as I said, they largely originally were made for Earth-based operations and not space fighting, which is also primarily what caused Deathscythe and Shenlong to to lose to the Taurus when it first came out, which was made to fight in either environment.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 00:24   Link #568
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
In the case of the 00 Gundams beating the GN-Xs, as kakaka said Episode 21 showed that they had a very tough time fighting them with basic equipment since the GN-Xs were doing stuff such as blocking some of their beam shots. They really only won in Episode 23 later due to their upgrades and the difference in result as well as depiction between the two battles are enormous. Not only were they one unit less in Episode 23, they were facing more numbers too since they were facing around 27 GN-Xs plus a Throne compared to the 19 GN-Xs in Episode 21.

It's the same MS of course but a lot of their raw firepower and performance of the GN Arms/Tail Booster presumably relies superior firepower by having more extensive Condensers to make up for their greatly increased particle consumption (much like Virtue, which we know to use this concept by design relative to the other three units; Nadleeh's less-than-average capacity by contrast is cited as a weakness in Episode 24). The downside to this design is that they won't be able to keep this performance once the Condensers run dry and recharging them to pre-launch volumes would be hard in the midsts of battle. Exia's Avalanche equipment is also another good example of this concept, since the it takes an hour to fully charge the Condensers onboard prior to the launch for only ten minutes worth of "super" acceleration usage. After that, the equipment is just an extra liability unless its successful charged again, which is hard to do onfield.

Trans-Am relies on a similar premise though is more of a operation mode than engineering design and is more extreme in nature in the consumption-recharge intensity.

The difference between Trans-Am suits and the ones that lack them are also quite significant as we see quite often in the series because all that power is concentrated in that short timeframe. Even then, the Gundams probably would have lost those battles that they ended up winning if the GN-X squadron stayed up and continued pressing instead of escaping. They ended up doing that only because they were blindsided by a new ability and equipment in addition to lacking intel. They also knew they had pretty much won the scheme of things so no need to waste lives and better to come with more reinforcements. The Gundams were more or less up against forces that vastly outnumber them with a slight mass production spec lowering per GN-X unit. Even Trans Am and new equipment wouldn't have countered that and they were really lucky not to have been destroyed then and there.

They would have also been far worse if Zwei finished Virtue off instead of nonchalantly leaving it to the GN-Xs (which are now unable to pierce Virtue's GN Field due to the higher compression rates Tieria tuned for this battle). It's Fangs were able to pierce the GN Field like it was nothing. There was a decent chance that Virtue would have been destroyed then and there if Zwei was deadly serious and fast enough to prevent it from transforming into Nadleeh. That would have left them with two units lost instead of one assuming the Virtue fight was handled quickly.

Last edited by SonicSP; 2014-02-11 at 05:21.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 00:51   Link #569
IceHism

My favorite gundam series is still Seed and Seed Destiny.

Although it is weighed down by stock footage, the animation quality compared to previous series was amazing. But that's not really why i like or dislike seed.

I like seed for the themes and character interactions that appear throughout the series than mostly everything else. Not saying that mechas weren't good but it's not the primary reason i like Seed/Destiny. It doesn't help that their uhhh marketing worked and i got absorbed into the 4 main characters (athrun, cagali, kira, lacus) pretty easily. I'm not really the type of person who cares if i can relate to a fictional anime character so seeing how amazing they were helped me get into the series easily (not to mention people like rau, mwu, ramius, waltfeld were cool too). Also, i found seed and seed destiny to be a lot more romantic (as in 19th century romanticism) in theme that is pretty emphasized throughout the whole series so that won some points from me. Well i could go on forever but w/e.

That's not to say that other series weren't good. I liked the other gundam series as well but they just don't capture me as much as Seed / Seed destiny does.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote