AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-04, 13:21   Link #2341
Jimmy C

Who said Quint had an IS?
Old 2009-09-04, 23:01   Link #2342
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Who said Quint had an IS?
Fact that Subaru and Ginga practice family style that is ineffective without something like that? Fact that Wing Road was NOT called result of them being cyborgs as Vibration Shatter? And fact that they are her exact clones? And i also remember something among that lines, but thats where i can be wrong - indirect evidence is still enough.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2009-09-05, 00:18   Link #2343
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'm pretty sure that when they said that Subaru and Ginga practiced Quint's family style, it referred to her combat style.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-09-05, 00:39   Link #2344
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Exact clones of Quint was disputed once, and I don't recall them being exact matches of Quint. What confuddles me (and my crew as well) is the mention that they are similar in genes... but Quint did not mother them biologically.

Who should we believe? Which one is red truth?
Old 2009-09-05, 01:20   Link #2345
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Subaru and Ginga practice Nakajima-style Shooting Arts, which is Neo-Belkan magic.

All users of Inherent Skills have been cyborgs, which is a strong argument that humans don't have Inherent Skills... because humans use magic.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-09-05, 01:22   Link #2346
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
So an IS is just a customized programmed propensity for magic use?

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2009-09-05, 01:35   Link #2347
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

It is mentioned that Jail clones people for their IS. That is enough to show that people have IS in the first place.
Old 2009-09-05, 01:37   Link #2348
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
"Inherent Skill' might more be a refference to the 'Natural Design Ability' of the cyborg in question rather than what seems to be people thinking 'Inherrited Skill' as one passed down geneticly.

As an example: If I had Wolverine's Adamantium Claws. It would be said that my ability to rip your face off violently would be an 'inherent' trait to having said claws. An Inherent Skill.

So 'Inherent Skill' most likely reffers to an ability that is inherent in the function of a particular cyborg's body. Subaru was engineered to have the ability to use vibration as an attack. The ability is inherent to her physical structure itself. It is not provided by outside factors.

A regular human doesn't have an Inherent Skill, because they weren't spacificly designed like a peice of weapons engineering.
Old 2009-09-05, 03:30   Link #2349
Nijiru

I've searched this thread, and cannot find an answer to a question I have. Is it known when the Modern Belka style of magic was formed?
EDIT: Corrected wording.
Old 2009-09-05, 03:34   Link #2350
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Nope, we've never been graced with that information. We've more or less been filling in this particular gap with our own estimations, though I pretty much follow Aaron008R's version on when it originated. (but then again, seeing as how everything was tied in together back in OCT1, I'm assuming most of us are using his version in the OC thread)
Old 2009-09-05, 04:04   Link #2351
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I always figured that what Jail meant by that statement is that the cloning and culturing processes he uses determines what kind of Inherent Skill the cyborg gains. Not that he clones them because the people he's getting the genetic base from have the Inherent Skill themselves.
Old 2009-09-05, 04:05   Link #2352
Nijiru

I just looked through both timelines in the current OC thread, and cannot find a mention of the creation of the Modern Belka magic system. Do you happen to have a link to the post or know the year? I'm fiddling with ideas right now, and need to know if I should bother continuing. :P
Old 2009-09-05, 04:08   Link #2353
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
"Inherent Skill' might more be a refference to the 'Natural Design Ability' of the cyborg in question rather than what seems to be people thinking 'Inherrited Skill' as one passed down geneticly.

As an example: If I had Wolverine's Adamantium Claws. It would be said that my ability to rip your face off violently would be an 'inherent' trait to having said claws. An Inherent Skill.

So 'Inherent Skill' most likely reffers to an ability that is inherent in the function of a particular cyborg's body. Subaru was engineered to have the ability to use vibration as an attack. The ability is inherent to her physical structure itself. It is not provided by outside factors.

A regular human doesn't have an Inherent Skill, because they weren't spacificly designed like a peice of weapons engineering.
That is all fine and dandy except it does not account for that Jail cloned people in order to preserve the expression of IS.

This is a weird bugger in itself, because the IS has to be expressed in some way in order for Jail to know that the person has that IS. The easiest way is to see person use IS, however if the person can't use the IS, then how did Jail know that person has the IS? And if humans can't use IS, how did the doc even discover the existence of IS for him to begin selecting choice individuals to collect, kill and clone?

I'm not implying I am right, I'm stating what I know and how it seems to imply that people can use IS. You guys have valid points, but they are totally valid only if it didn't contradict this line where it states that IS were preserved via cloning, because it implies Jail selected his targets meaning that he knew they had IS, which then begets the question of how did he know.

Edit: Got ninja'd. Alright then, we need the Silver Retriever power, now! I think it's in one of the DVD booklets. Original and translated versions would be best.
Old 2009-09-05, 09:43   Link #2354
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
Nope, we've never been graced with that information. We've more or less been filling in this particular gap with our own estimations, though I pretty much follow Aaron008R's version on when it originated. (but then again, seeing as how everything was tied in together back in OCT1, I'm assuming most of us are using his version in the OC thread)
Well now... I'm flattered.

Just to be clear, the 'version' that I follow, as Nya~n says is more specifically that the 'Modern' Belka style has been there since even before the first Nanoha series. Quint (Subaru and Ginga's mother) and her Revolver Knuckles were the main basis for this. So far, most of has have been assuming that the style has been there for a while now, except that after the events of A's the Neo Belka style experienced a great amount of research advancement and integration into the TSAB Magical Academy, since Hayate and the Wolkenritter came over to the side of the TSAB.

To be fair, our folk at the OC Thread never really did come into an official agreement as to when it started. All that we know is that it has been there for good while.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Old 2009-09-05, 15:25   Link #2355
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

perhaps the number was slow as the researchers hadn't perfected the transitional from one style to another. bardiche and raising heart requesting more parts <.<; that factors in somewhere i'm sure

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2009-09-05, 16:36   Link #2356
Password

Well, four got their IS via cloning (Uno, Cinque, Sette, Nove). The rest got it from mix and matching DNA and hoping for the best.

I'm thinking that IS is just Jail's fancy generic name for "super-powers cyborgs were born with". Other people's special traits are just called special traits <<
Old 2009-09-05, 16:38   Link #2357
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

I still prefer customized programmed proficiency for magic since that makes sense when manufacturing a team.

Old 2009-09-05, 21:57   Link #2358
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Thing is, we're trying to leave out preferences and interpretations and get to the core of what canon states on the topic itself, in this case, the nature of IS.

Looks like even the Silver Retriever is having trouble finding it... I haven't found that article either.
Old 2009-09-05, 23:48   Link #2359
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Well, the purpose of the combat cyborgs was the ability to create your own army. the purpose of having so many different skills was probably marketing and team resonance. So i don't think my view is out of bounds.

Old 2009-09-06, 00:52   Link #2360
Password

True, but based on StrikerS Sound Stage 3, the Doctor didn't have the technology to easily cherry pick abilities.

Cinque: And, while clones easily display special characteristics, it has problems with production efficiency and cost. They're to obtain the special skills the originals possess, creating models specializing in one art.
Wendi: Ah, like Nove's "Air Liner" and Cinque's "Detonator".
Cinque: Culturing is for mass production. It's hard to obtain desired abilities but their production is stable.

So he had a choice between "high chance of getting specific cool ability, low success rate" (Cloning), or "high success rate, low chance of getting cool ability" (Culturing).
Closed Thread