Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-09-29, 08:10   Link #1
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka-Updates
Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou is a mystery series where Shinokawa Shioriko, a young owner of a bookstore in Kamakura, unravel mysteries of ancient books that are taken there.

The story begins with a young man named Daisuke, who grew up practically without reading books due to a "phobia", brings the complete (and autographed) works of Natsume Soseki, Japanese writer of the Meiji era, inherited from his grandmother in the mysterious bookstore. Will the shy and introvert Shioriko solve the mystery of the books?
Alright, I managed to finish a draft of the first volume out there, and since the manga is translated by Japanzai up till Chapter 4, I think it would be appropriate to begin a thread here. (Chuffed at the fact that volume 1 is done, but I do not think I will begin work on volume 2 until next year)

Of course, I would say it is an absolute delight to read this series, and also to work on this. It is certainly a refreshing change from the usual stuff, for once.

Also to wit, the main genre of this story is 'mystery'.
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 09:13   Link #2
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

A very great LN(although MW Bunko is not considered as light novel label). If you like mystery with hint of romance, this is a must read IMO. The case is never been about murder or complicated trick, but somehow Mikami-sensei still manage to make an entertaining read from a mundane case.

Also, Shioriko is so hngghhh inducing, and Goura is a strong and good male watson character.
Old 2013-09-29, 11:16   Link #3
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
A very great LN(although MW Bunko is not considered as light novel label). If you like mystery with hint of romance, this is a must read IMO. The case is never been about murder or complicated trick, but somehow Mikami-sensei still manage to make an entertaining read from a mundane case.

Also, Shioriko is so hngghhh inducing, and Goura is a strong and good male watson character.
Seriously?!

You mean to tell me this is a manga mystery series that doesn't involve murder or some weird ass event that leaves me thinking "just wtf is going on here?!"?!

Well now you have my full attention, off to read me thinks!
Old 2014-04-29, 22:09   Link #4
itisjustme

Great LN, I haven't read tons of LNs but it's the first one that reads like a novel instead of a manga script. Great mood, great characterization, mysteries were fine, it doesn't take the reader for an idiot but explains everything clearly at the same time. And Shinokawa is <3 <3. I can understand why this is so popular in Japan.

The translation/edition is great too it almost read like an english book with few mistakes so thank you Ping!
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-20, 01:14   Link #5
velderia
Former NEET.

I'm stunned that there's so few posts on here. I marathon'ed the drama that's based on this (thank you Crunchyroll), and it's so SO SOO GOOD. It had me floored. I'm kind of addicted to books again now. Since my Japanese reading level isn't that great, though, I might have to pick up the manga instead of the novels. (There's two versions though? One by Afternoon and Kadokawa...? ...??)
velderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-20, 02:27   Link #6
Zefyris
図書館狼

Those boards favor more LN with action/harem/ ecchi I think.
But yes, considering how well it sells in Japan, this thread is surprisingly dead.

I'm reading the novels (read all of them except for the 6th) and I agree that it's a really nice read. I think it appeals more to bookworm like myself than to the general western LN reader audience though.

How much of it was translated in english anyway? This may be another cause of this thread not getting a lot of post.

There's two manga yes, although I haven't read them, so can't tell why there's two and what's the difference between them, sorry~.
Old 2015-01-20, 06:16   Link #7
Amanomurakumo

Is it similar to Hyouka?
Amanomurakumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-20, 16:09   Link #8
Zefyris
図書館狼

Yes and no. MC are young adults already working and not high schoolers.
And the mysteries are only about books and their owners, nothing as random as Hyouka's mysteries.
Also, the one solving mystery is the woman MC rather than the male MC.
It has a similar vibe to it, and those are mysteries with no violence and little criminality involved in both case, but that's about the only common point. If anything, I would say it's actually closer to the bannou kanteishi Q series on quite a lot of points.
Old 2015-01-20, 21:22   Link #9
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Currently, the translated manga is still at 4 chapters, only through the first part of the Koyama Kiyoshi story.

For English version, only v1 is fully done (I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry)

Volume 6 certainly feels very ironic.

And I'm in tears that there are finally replies here.
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 02:20   Link #10
Zefyris
図書館狼

2015 is sure starting far better for this thread than the previous years, looking at how many posts there was per year~

Well if as much as a full volume is done,that would not be surprising to see more activity in this thread. Guess western LN readers like stuff like IS better (maybe I should point that to the idiots who always complain while looking about sales reports about how Japan has bad taste, asking if they still think that western readers are better after this~)

Ironic? That's a weird opinion for a volume of this series ;O
Quote:
(I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry)
lol~
Old 2015-01-21, 03:15   Link #11
larethian

Guys, you realize that "Only I Am Not Attacked In A World Overflowing With Zombies [Web Novel]" (which has a synopsis that made my eyebrows form a straight line) just got created and it already got 2 pages. Expecting Biblia to have a continuous discussion is quite impossible given the crowd here.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 05:42   Link #12
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefyris View Post
2015 is sure starting far better for this thread than the previous years, looking at how many posts there was per year~

Well if as much as a full volume is done,that would not be surprising to see more activity in this thread. Guess western LN readers like stuff like IS better (maybe I should point that to the idiots who always complain while looking about sales reports about how Japan has bad taste, asking if they still think that western readers are better after this~)

lol~
Accusing western LN readers is a bit out of place considering that the majority of them don't know Japanese and thus cannot even read a lot of this title to begin with.

Also, this kind of story is just not suited for the average western anime viewers. There's a reason that this was adapted into a J-Drama and not an anime. It hits home far more for mainstream japanese viewers than it ever will for a western viewer. It's not like people in the west have to read Kokoro by Soseki in high school and stuff like that. IS is a fantasy work on the other hand. It doesn't require a lot of cultural context since a lot of things are going to be made up anyways and fantasy/Sci-fi are the two highest selling genres in the world.
Not to mention that translating Biblia is probably 100x harder than translating something like IS if you want to put out even just a decent translation.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 08:45   Link #13
RBomber

I've seen two chapters on Batoto, and, (un)surprisingly, this is quite strike with my taste.

I like non-violent, smart detective stories, like works of Motohiro Katou (QED, CMB). He could make lover arguments into a compelling detective story. This works seems to hold similar tone.

And, yes, this kind of works rarely get attention from translators. I was lucky that QED and CMB was translated in my country, else I can't enjoy it for quite some time, before translators got interested.

EDIT: At first, I think Shioriko-san is the cool beauty tipe. Then at the end at ch 3, THAT FACE .

You can see why Daisuke fall on her. Hook, line, sinker.

Last edited by RBomber; 2015-01-21 at 09:31.
RBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 10:35   Link #14
Tenzen12

After I finished Hikaru I tried two chapters and while I like both characters, deductions sounds too unplasauble and I am bit affraid that Daisuke will continue to be mere Watson/errand boy replaceable by anyone.

Any insights regarding of that?
Old 2015-01-21, 11:04   Link #15
RBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
After I finished Hikaru I tried two chapters and while I like both characters, deductions sounds too unplasauble and I am bit affraid that Daisuke will continue to be mere Watson/errand boy replaceable by anyone.

Well, our Watson actually likes his new employer (in more ways than one), and Miss Sherlock, for once, actually find a guy who didn't mind her (and actually mildly encourages her) to be "talkative boring". So yes, there's chemistry.

But the main selling of this stories is the detective works, which may sounds a little implausible, but then again, the story is about old-books, printed in old ages, where everything was (should be) more predictable than today. And, the stories is happened in Japan. This might makes much more plausible for Japanese.
RBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 12:12   Link #16
Zefyris
図書館狼

As for Daisuke, he's quite useful actually. Rather than having the role of Watson, he's closer of Gosick's Kazuya; because Shioriko has no strength, doesn't meet a lot of people so cannot collect the necessary hint to solve the problem, and because of the romance.
Also, if you managed to read that horrible thing that is Hikaru until the end of tenth volume, I'd say that you don't need to fear a lot of novels on the point of being implausible. On that point, I never saw a novel as far away from a working suspension of disbelief than this one was. Besides, the mysteries aren't especially implausible ImO. I don't see what's the problem is on that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Accusing western LN readers is a bit out of place considering that the majority of them don't know Japanese and thus cannot even read a lot of this title to begin with.

Also, this kind of story is just not suited for the average western anime viewers. There's a reason that this was adapted into a J-Drama and not an anime. It hits home far more for mainstream japanese viewers than it ever will for a western viewer. It's not like people in the west have to read Kokoro by Soseki in high school and stuff like that. IS is a fantasy work on the other hand. It doesn't require a lot of cultural context since a lot of things are going to be made up anyways and fantasy/Sci-fi are the two highest selling genres in the world.
Not to mention that translating Biblia is probably 100x harder than translating something like IS if you want to put out even just a decent translation.
I'm actually not accusing western readers. If they don't like the title, they don't, end of story. I was saying that idiots who always complain about which books and which doesn't by saying Japan has poor taste/that only otaku pandering sells should really look at our own part of the world before spitting on their taste; that's nothing new; but this thread is kind of the perfect example of this.

Also, not knowing Japanese isn't a problem since one volume is available translated. We have thread that goes for many pages right away for less than that available in this board. Like you said, it's a problem of not fitting the taste of a lot of people here. Which is fine; I'm not complaining about it, nor blaming anyone for it. Such things are besides the point anyway~
Old 2015-01-21, 20:27   Link #17
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefyris View Post
Cause they're helping the antagonist of volume 01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Guys, you realize that "Only I Am Not Attacked In A World Overflowing With Zombies [Web Novel]" (which has a synopsis that made my eyebrows form a straight line) just got created and it already got 2 pages. Expecting Biblia to have a continuous discussion is quite impossible given the crowd here.
To be fair, Biblia's degree of completion per volume is so high that there really aren't much to discuss, especially a few months after the volume's finished with no new volume in sight. At one point, 2ch's discussion was purely just on Shioriko's boobs and Gouriki's ability to ruin everything, which are hardly plot related.

Quote:

Unplausible how? Would like to hear more about this.

Mikami is an author that I respect a lot, especially reading his life story as well. He actually spends a HUGE deal of time researching these stuff, way more than your usual author just flipping the web. Unplausible is literally the last thing on my mind when reading this series.

Old books neta are ridiculously hard to find and write, as such Volume 7 will be the last of the 事件手帖 series. The way he weaved them so elegantly into a story is an art in itself (even though he himself barely has much knowledge regarding this business when he start writing except for his previous job experience). Back volume 4, he already said in an interview that were would be only 2-4 volumes left, I would hoping to last until 8, but that doesn't seem to be happening. This is vastly different from your other series that authors manage to just churn out with unlimited supply.

Regarding Daisuke, due to his "condition", he is never even Watson status except for the narrative POV. Watson is at least mostly a walking knowledge bank, Goura knows almost nothing. He does, however, at points show he does have insights at few points even if the observations do not necessarily lend themselves to solving the case at hand.

Biblia first and foremost isn't a detective series, it's just a mystery. If you want something completely 100% logic proof you should read book related on the left instead. They don't call Aosaki the Ellery Queen of our generation for nothing. If you want a mystery series with duo leads that are both useful then wait for SM series assuming the anime doesn't turn Moe into an idiot like the drama (or better yet, try G series, which is also related to SM).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 20:31   Link #18
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
To be fair, Biblia's degree of completion per volume is so high that there really aren't much to discuss, especially a few months after the volume's finished with no new volume in sight. At one point, 2ch's discussion was purely just on Shioriko's boobs and Gouriki's ability to ruin everything, which are hardly plot related.
Well, the example thread I posted only had 1 chapter or so translated if I'm not wrong
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 21:34   Link #19
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
Unplausible how? Would like to hear more about this.

Mikami is an author that I respect a lot, especially reading his life story as well. He actually spends a HUGE deal of time researching these stuff, way more than your usual author just flipping the web. Unplausible is literally the last thing on my mind when reading this series.

Old books neta are ridiculously hard to find and write, as such Volume 7 will be the last of the 事件手帖 series. The way he weaved them so elegantly into a story is an art in itself (even though he himself barely has much knowledge regarding this business when he start writing except for his previous job experience). Back volume 4, he already said in an interview that were would be only 2-4 volumes left, I would hoping to last until 8, but that doesn't seem to be happening. This is vastly different from your other series that authors manage to just churn out with unlimited supply.

Regarding Daisuke, due to his "condition", he is never even Watson status except for the narrative POV. Watson is at least mostly a walking knowledge bank, Goura knows almost nothing. He does, however, at points show he does have insights at few points even if the observations do not necessarily lend themselves to solving the case at hand.

Biblia first and foremost isn't a detective series, it's just a mystery. If you want something completely 100% logic proof you should read book related on the left instead. They don't call Aosaki the Ellery Queen of our generation for nothing. If you want a mystery series with duo leads that are both useful then wait for SM series assuming the anime doesn't turn Moe into an idiot like the dra ma (or better yet, try G series, which is also related to SM).[/td][/table]
I don't realy get you, why are you asking when you imidietely note it's flaws on your own? My problem is that heroine deduction goes against Occam's razor (or common sense in general) and pick always right option despite other being more likely in comparisson or despite having close to zero information to base it around. I don't need 100% logic, but at least 35% would be nice.

I love mystery/detective stories (and no, I don't think so there is need differ in this case). Gosick, Neuro, KamiMemo, Un-go and even academy Q I like them all, but that because even if some deductions went on quite weird tangents often, it could still be followed at least from hindsight, here it's close to regular asspulls.

And thank you for giving Daisuke even less value than Watson, I was worried it's that case. So sum it up, it doesn't realy make sense, protagonist is here just provide PoV and author did lot of research on old books.

I guess it's nothing for me. It's pitty, I found premise and characters (not even mentioning stunning ilustrations) interesting a lot

EDIT: If I will have opportunity I will give a try to your recommandations, thank you.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2015-01-21 at 21:50.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 21:59   Link #20
Kunagisa

Quote:
I don't realy get you, why are you asking when you imidietely note it's flaws on your own? My problem is that heroine deduction goes against Occam's razor (or common sense in general) and pick always right option despite other being more likely in comparisson or despite having close to zero information to base it around. I don't need 100% logic, but at least 35% would be nice.
Nothing I've said was anywhere close to saying the story's unplausible. Also, fyi, she doesn't always pick the right option; her mother does. From the first volume (or whatever you've read so far), what other options are more likely in comparison?

Quote:
EDIT: If I will have opportunity I will give a try to your recommandations, thank you.
You're welcome.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote