Old 2004-01-16, 07:14   Link #1
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Live Action Evangelion - Production Designs

You can find these at:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16790

Kate Rose???

Ray???

/watches Eva fanatics heads explode..........

What does everyone think of these?

I like some of the actual Eva Designs (but not the curvature of the Eva units spines) I'm sure there is more than enough to discuss comparing these to the original series designs......
Old 2004-01-16, 11:12   Link #2
Tboz

Cool...

Btw, I thought all along the Evangelion LA is just a rumour?

From the msg board, Kate Rose seems to be a designer, no idea who is Ray though.
Old 2004-01-16, 11:55   Link #3
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboz
Cool...

Btw, I thought all along the Evangelion LA is just a rumour?

From the msg board, Kate Rose seems to be a designer, no idea who is Ray though.
The Live Action Movie is undergoing concept work by Peter Jackson's Weta Workshop (the guys that were responsible for the excellent Lord of The Rings trilogy).This much is known.
However seeing the names "Ray" for "Rei Ayanami" and "Kate Rose" for "Asuka Langley Soryuu" (which is how I interperated it) is quite disconcerting......
Old 2004-01-16, 16:28   Link #4
Kenji Ikari
Lazy Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Kenji Ikari Send a message via MSN to Kenji Ikari
Ugh. This is 2004, right? And yet they still change character's name. Kate Rose? Is this Batman or something? Bleh.
Old 2004-01-16, 18:47   Link #5
Strider_Lee
shinobi

Well, the people of WETA said that the live-action movie is based on the anime series. If you are able to pick up the ADV Director's cut DVD of Evangelion (the one with eps 21-23), the guys that were doing the interview said to come up with character suit designs in case the roles are to be played by young adults rather than 13 year olds (and considering that ADV is suppose the main company in charge of most to almost all of the production, it will be up to them if names are going to be changed or not). Also, the name changes are possibly done in order for people who have not seen or even heard of EVA before (for example: an unknown viewer, "why the hell does all of the main characters have these Japanese names when this is an American movie???).

It was also mentioned that even though the names of the characters might change... they will still represent their Japanese counter parts. (although... I will still miss the original names if it were still to happen... it ruins the identification of the characters from the anime and mangas). It is disconcerting... but it will be up to the people of ADV in the end if the names are to change.

I totally digged the designs though, except... I think that the head shot Unit 1 looks too much like a demon. It still looks cool, but it needs to look a little more robotic in my opinion (unless this is what it will look like when Unit 1 goes berserker mode).
Old 2004-01-16, 19:54   Link #6
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Misato appears to be renamed "Susan Whitnall", if I'm reading her name correctly.
Old 2004-01-16, 21:15   Link #7
sperry

Send a message via AIM to sperry
I guess it kind of makes sense to change the names for an american, generally non-anime fan audience. But it still annoys me, and I guess probably everyone whos seen Eva as well. Ray is one thing, but Kate Rose? She sounds like a cheerleader.... I just hope they don't change their personalities as well.

About the Eva designs... I donno, they're a bit... odd. And I'm not too fond of the change in Unit 00's look. It, as well as the other Evas, look a little too organic, like Strider_Lee said. The Evas didn't have tongues in the series, did they? That's a bit wierd to me, as well, as the really tiny teeth. I'll miss 01's big red chompers. ^^;;

I do like some of the other designs though... looks like they'll do a pretty good job with Tokyo-3 and Nerv HQ.
Old 2004-01-16, 22:33   Link #8
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

WETA Workshop is not Peter Jacksons. Peter Jackson hired WETA for Lord of the Rings based on reputation and all that jazz.

As for pre-production sketches, they are just IDEAS, not definant stuff. lighten up
Old 2004-01-17, 10:47   Link #9
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Afaik, Peter Jackson is one of the founders of WETA workshop though.

http://www.wetafx.co.nz/ > Weta Digital > Company > read first line of that text
Old 2004-01-17, 11:01   Link #10
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Afaik, Peter Jackson is one of the founders of WETA workshop though.

http://www.wetafx.co.nz/ > Weta Digital > Company > read first line of that text
GHDpro, you just beat me to posting!

Peter Jackson and Richard Taylor are Co-Founders of Weta Workshops (Its just that I used Peter's name as he is probably the more well known of the two at the moment). I wanted people to be aware of the pedigree of the studio undertaking the preproduction designs.....
Old 2004-01-17, 14:48   Link #11
Strider_Lee
shinobi

Well, at least ADV and the people at WETA are also being guided by some of the people who originally had worked on the animated series... so it is possible that this up-coming Hollywood movie will not be a total blunder... (I still have some doubts though... but then again, there's always some type of screw up or blunders when it comes down to any movie being made).

And yes sperry, the EVAs did have tounges (or at least the ones who had mouths... excluding Unit 00 I think. From what I remember, I never seen unit 00 have a mouth in the anime, but I'm sure that it just never opened its mouth at all) and EVA unit 01 didn't necessarily have red chompers, they were more of an extra restraint to keep the EVA's mouth closed. Remember... near the end of episode 2 where EVA 01's "helmet and mask" fell off after the battle, you can clearly see that there was a bottom set of the red chompers (the jaw of the armor/restraints never fell off)... but there were definatly no upper set because it fell off with the mask. They probably were designed to be teeth for the armor part if the EVA's if their mouths were to open (like that of EVA 02's that you seen from the head shot pre-production designs drawings), but they were ment to be restraints none the less.

If anything, the EVA's themselves had their own set of organic teeth and an extra set of metalic teeth provided by the armor/restraints (but yes... those red chompers made EVA 01 look awsome when it went berserk).
Old 2004-01-17, 18:57   Link #12
corp20
Internet God

Be scared... very scared.

LIVE ACTION EVA LOOK!

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16790
Old 2004-01-17, 19:08   Link #13
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

weird stuff ^_^
but isnt there already a thread about it ^____~

Last edited by NightWish; 2004-01-17 at 19:27. Reason: Thread merged...
Old 2004-01-17, 20:25   Link #14
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp20
LIVE ACTION EVA LOOK!
Er, thanks!

/Wonders how many people don't read the first post in a thread.......
Old 2004-01-17, 21:59   Link #15
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

There are more images here...

Link

One that particularly interested me is the front view of Ray... it just doesn't seem right at all.
Old 2004-01-18, 02:23   Link #16
madeener
君の犬です - bow wow!

Location: i live in singapore, you know where that is? its not in china! lol
Send a message via MSN to madeener
They should use children as actors. Adults are just too weird for me
Old 2004-01-18, 04:36   Link #17
Strider_Lee
shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeener
They should use children as actors. Adults are just too weird for me
Maybe so, but you'll be an adult at some point in life.

But yes, it would be more accurate if they would get some young teens to play the EVA pilots. For some reason if they use hollywood "non-asian" actors, I see Haley Joel Osment playing the character that represents/is Shinji. I really can not see who can play the girls though.

As most movie go, it will be up to the producers and ADV to decide on how they are going to do things though.
Old 2004-01-18, 06:28   Link #18
MuGeN_BoY
<--- Lolita Complex

somehow, im not really looking forward to this..... just wotn feel the same as the anime ....
Old 2004-01-18, 06:53   Link #19
madeener
君の犬です - bow wow!

Location: i live in singapore, you know where that is? its not in china! lol
Send a message via MSN to madeener
If the story is truly based on Evangelion, than if Shinji kids and Co. are adults, what does that make Misato Kaji or Daddy Ikari? Ojii and Obaa-sans?
Old 2004-01-18, 09:56   Link #20
Mistwrath
Always confused . . .

This is going to be really weird ... wonders what is going to happen next
Closed Thread