AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Hana Yori Dango: Love it, or hate it?
Absolutely love it! 4 57.14%
I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. 1 14.29%
Meh. Indifferent. 0 0%
I read it, but not a favorite of mine. 1 14.29%
Absolutely hate it! 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-12, 21:39   Link #1
mangameditation

Hana Yori Dango

I am still quite puzzled as to why Hana Yori Dango is so immensely popular. Regarded as a "classic" in shoujo manga, I've seen the overwhelmingly positive response to this series all over the internet and I am struck by the lack of a dissident voice.

So why is there no dissident voice? Is it because there is no one who dislikes this manga? I find that hard to believe. Considering the amount of controversial material covered in this manga, such as attempted rape, traumatizing bullying, and intense psychological, physical and emotional damage. I have read this series, and I found it rather disturbing, as people are pushed to physical and emotional extremes, and horrible events are glossed over and forgotten like yesterday's lunch.

For lovers of Hana Yori Dango, why do you love it?

For those who are less than complimentary, what doesn't appeal to you about this manga?
Old 2009-04-13, 08:20   Link #2
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, I haven't read this series. But, from what I gathered, everything that was presented is possible. Don't forget that the F4 boys are THE boys in school. It's like the A classes in Ouran. Many characters acknowledged this, and for those at the receiving end, they just swallow whatever is thrown at them and move on.

In short, they never say die. Screw the "Screw the rules, I have money" trope.
Old 2009-04-13, 10:57   Link #3
blue skies
noch einmal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangameditation View Post
So why is there no dissident voice? Is it because there is no one who dislikes this manga? I find that hard to believe. Considering the amount of controversial material covered in this manga, such as attempted rape, traumatizing bullying, and intense psychological, physical and emotional damage. I have read this series, and I found it rather disturbing, as people are pushed to physical and emotional extremes, and horrible events are glossed over and forgotten like yesterday's lunch.
HYD is one of the first shoujo series I read, but it's not really one that stuck with me. Like you said, a lot of people love it to bits (although I've seen some people who hate it like burning), but I had mixed feelings about it. It's a very dramatic manga, but as far as soap opera-ish shoujo goes, there's stuff out there that's much better imho (Bokura Ga Ita, NANA, Sand Chronicles, etc...).

For one thing, HYD is way too long (37 volumes wat). But, in short, I didn't particularly like it for the reasons you already mentioned. Domyouji is a total jackass, as are all the F4 boys, and no one will ever convince me otherwise. I just freaking hated all of those dudes. Like yezhanquan up there said, they're kind of like the Ouran guys, except not even remotely likeable. I also started out liking Makino, but as the story went on, I just lost all interest and stopped caring. It's like, "lol k, what kind of abuse is she going to take in this chapter?" Normally, I don't have a problem with "controversial" material in manga, but the constant attempted rape, assault, and/or mind-screwing got old fast. It's like you just sort of expected it with every chapter. Makino puts up with crap on top of more crap.

It's too bad, because I started out liking it and really thought it would be a great read. But in the end, I just found it a pretty forgettable manga. But Kamio kind of made up for it with Cat Street, which is about 1000 times better than Hana Yori Dango.

Last edited by blue skies; 2009-04-13 at 11:24. Reason: added the word "is" among other fun stuff
Old 2013-10-14, 15:57   Link #4
Tora-chan

Although I haven't read the manga yet I saw a Japanese (HYD) and (Boys Over Flowers) Korean drama adaptation of Hana Yori Dango.

I have to agree that at the beginning this story might be too brutal to like it and reading only
about different bullying methods, which are used against poor people by pampered rich kids might seem boring after some time. But I believe that any of those topics aren't the main point of this story. In my opinion the most important motif here is a romance between two poeple from different social classes. But this part can also screw the plot of the story if it's not done correctly, or should I say, originally.

It partially happend in Hana Yori Dango. At some places the plot seemed too dramatic or to sweet and it made feel disappointed. At some moments it was very predictable and it has made a quite promising story boring.
Old 2013-10-14, 16:13   Link #5
porzeczka

I think, the main point of the story was romance too, but more important was motive of fight between rich ones and poor ones. Something like Romeo and Julia. Story had great potential, but it was too long and amnesia destroyed everything. I hate amnesia in stories, because it makes their far-fetched.

Although my disappointing of manga, I think you should read the firsts comic books. At the beginning manga was even funny x)
Old 2013-10-14, 16:45   Link #6
Tora-chan

I must agree, porzeczka, that HYD has some similarities to Romeo and Juliet.
And that amnesia thing. I do not hate this motif, I even quite like it but in this story it hasn't been made properly. It was too shallow. If amnesia motif is well-created it can cause a lot of funny situations, not only make atmosphere more dramatic.
Old 2013-10-14, 17:33   Link #7
porzeczka

Can you instance me some examples of stories which have "well-created" motive of amnesia? I haven't meet these ones. Maybe I'm just preconceived...?
Old 2013-10-14, 18:06   Link #8
Tora-chan

I do know such stories but not in manga. In korean drama "I hear your voice" amnesia motif is kinda interesting. I do not think you're preconceived. It's a matter of out tastes. What for me is good for you can stiil remain as sth bad.
Old 2013-10-15, 04:38   Link #9
RobotCat
In a Box

I'm not that big of a shoujo fan but this is one of my favorite mangas. Frankly, the art for the first of the manga is pretty bad compared to modern manga but the story was gripping enough for me to plow through the entire thing. I've even re-read it later. I might go through another re-read though as I don't remember enough details to really give a thorough analysis of it.

I think what makes Hana Yori Dango so much stronger as a work than most shoujo manga I read is the fact that Tsukushi is truly a strong female lead. She endures the bullying, but she's completely defiant and will try to get back if possible. Even when it's not possible it just drivers her determination to succeed. She's very strong willed and stands by her beliefs even when faced with utter humiliation. She also goes through a lot of growth throughout the manga, and by the end through all her trials and tribulations she comes out a fully realized character who is capable of making her mark on the world.

Also, she doesn't fall in love with her bully because he bullies her. He actually falls in love with her first and he tries to change himself in order to meet her standards. I'm actually quite appalled by how abusive a lot of shoujo relationships are in a lot of modern shoujo manga, especially when the message seems to be that those 'bad boys' will eventually stop being abusive as long as the girl stays in that relationship. Tsukushi wouldn't stand for that kind of abuse and she really sets a good example of what a equal relationship should be.

In general all the major characters are pretty well developed and change quite a bit throughout the story, and a lot of things that might seem like tropes nowadays probably originated from this manga.
Old 2013-10-15, 07:59   Link #10
porzeczka

Quote:
I think what makes Hana Yori Dango so much stronger as a work than most shoujo manga I read is the fact that Tsukushi is truly a strong female lead.
You're right. She had to be stronger, because Tsukasa bullied her. And it is advantage of her. Generally, in this manga characters' projects are really good, but plot sometimes cries to heaven.

By the way, I noticed that this story has as many enemies as fans. In 90's it was extremely popular. And today are created series based on this manga. So popularity of this story lasts circa twenty years... Wow O.o
Closed Thread