AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2007-07-22, 11:43   Link #1
nanafan
horo fan

Crystal Kay

Anyone heard of her? I think she is awesome, many of her songs get stuck in my head. She's got a great voice.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 20:15   Link #2
Dnous
wut

Yeah, got hooked on her music right after hearing "Motherland". The third FMA ED.
Dnous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 21:30   Link #3
nanafan
horo fan

holy crap, finally a response! yay. i liked what she did for fma too. that was the first time i had heard of her. can't say that i know much about her other than that she is half japanese..i think.
Old 2007-07-28, 00:37   Link #4
Siegel Clyne

Crystal Kay's Multiethnic Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
holy crap, finally a response! yay. i liked what she did for fma too. that was the first time i had heard of her. can't say that i know much about her other than that she is half japanese..i think.
Born and raised in Japan, Crystal Kay's father is an African American and her mother is a Zainichi (Chaeil Kyopo in Korean), or a long term Korean resident of Japan.

Crystal Kay speaks English and Japanese fluently. She does not speak Korean - which is not surprising given that her mother is sansei (samse in Korean), or third generation, born and raised in Japan.

While most ethnic Koreans living in Japan are not Japanese citizens, a significant minority of them are. They constitute the largest group of naturalized citizens in Japan.

Softbank founder Son Masayoshi, singer and television personality Wada Akiko, jazz vocalist Lee Keiko (Keiko Lee), pop singer Sonim, and voice actress (seiyuu) Pak(u) Romi are ethnic Koreans born and raised in Japan.

Born in Los Angeles, California and raised in Hawaii, American singer Yuna Ito (Itou Yuuna), who played and sang as Serizawa Reira in the NANA live action movie, is half Japanese and half Korean. Japanese actress Matsuzaka Keiko is also half Japanese and half Korean. And so is Japanese rocker Miyavi.

Rikidouzan (Rikidozan; Yokdosan in Korean), the "father of Japanese professional wrestling (puroresu)" and mentor of Japanese pro wrestler-turned-politican "Antonio" Inoki Kanji, was born Kim Sin-Nak in what is now North Korea.

Kyokushin karate founder Ooyama Masutatsu (Mas Oyama) was born Choi Yeong-Eui (Choi Bae-Dal) in what is now South Korea. (Some accounts have him born in Japan.) Ooyama's most famous pupil is Japanese actor and martial artist Chiba Shin'ichi, better known as Sonny Chiba.

Japanese baseball homerun king Ou Sadaharu (Sadaharu Oh) is half Japanese and half Taiwanese. So is actor and model Kaneshiro Takeshi, born in Taiwan to Japanese and Taiwanese parents.

The late Andou Momofuku (Momofuku Ando), Nissin founder who invented instant ramen and Cup Noodle, was a naturalized Japanese citizen of Chinese heritage, born in Taiwan.

(I seem to recall that someone said that the character designer of the KimiKiss love simulation game, which is being turned into an television anime series called KimiKiss pure rouge, is also a naturalized Japanese citizen of Taiwanese background.)...

...and so on regarding people of Korean, Chinese, and other ethnic backgrounds who have made contributions to Japanese culture and society, in spite of discrimination and prejudice that they may have faced along the way.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2007-07-28 at 08:11.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 12:13   Link #5
nanafan
horo fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
Born and raised in Japan, Crystal Kay's father is an African American and her mother is a Zainichi (Chaeil Kyopo in Korean), or a long term Korean resident of Japan.

Crystal Kay speaks English and Japanese fluently. She does not speak Korean - which is not surprising given that her mother is sansei (samse in Korean), or third generation, born and raised in Japan.

While most ethnic Koreans living in Japan are not Japanese citizens, a significant minority of them are. They constitute the largest group of naturalized citizens in Japan.

Softbank founder Son Masayoshi, singer and television personality Wada Akiko, jazz vocalist Lee Keiko (Keiko Lee), pop singer Sonim, and voice actress (seiyuu) Pak(u) Romi are ethnic Koreans born and raised in Japan.

Born in Los Angeles, California and raised in Hawaii, American singer Yuna Ito (Itou Yuuna), who played and sang as Serizawa Reira in the NANA live action movie, is half Japanese and half Korean. Japanese actress Matsuzaka Keiko is also half Japanese and half Korean. And so is Japanese rocker Miyavi.

Rikidouzan (Rikidozan; Yokdosan in Korean), the "father of Japanese professional wrestling (puroresu)" and mentor of Japanese pro wrestler-turned-politican "Antonio" Inoki Kanji, was born Kim Sin-Nak in what is now North Korea.

Kyokushin karate founder Ooyama Masutatsu (Mas Oyama) was born Choi Yeong-Eui (Choi Bae-Dal) in what is now South Korea. (Some accounts have him born in Japan.) Ooyama's most famous pupil is Japanese actor and martial artist Chiba Shin'ichi, better known as Sonny Chiba.

Japanese baseball homerun king Ou Sadaharu (Sadaharu Oh) is half Japanese and half Taiwanese. So is actor and model Kaneshiro Takeshi, born in Taiwan to Japanese and Taiwanese parents.

The late Andou Momofuku (Momofuku Ando), Nissin founder who invented instant ramen and Cup Noodle, was a naturalized Japanese citizen of Chinese heritage, born in Taiwan.

(I seem to recall that someone said that the character designer of the KimiKiss love simulation game, which is being turned into an television anime series called KimiKiss pure rouge, is also a naturalized Japanese citizen of Taiwanese background.)...

...and so on regarding people of Korean, Chinese, and other ethnic backgrounds who have made contributions to Japanese culture and society, in spite of discrimination and prejudice that they may have faced along the way.
long quote, thanks for the info! i heard that she was korean, but i wasn't sure. wierd that she doesn't speak korean though, guess because she was raised in japan?
Old 2007-08-01, 12:54   Link #6
Flame-X
Anti-fan

she has excellent singing. my fav song from her is REEEWIND! featuring m-flo. those 2 make a really good combo. =]
Old 2007-08-01, 16:50   Link #7
nanafan
horo fan

i will have to check that one out. have you heard her latest cd all yours? it's really good imo.
Old 2007-08-01, 17:37   Link #8
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Many ethnic Koreans raised in Japan (Korean-Japanese, I guess?) speak very little or no Korean, even though most do attend Korean-language schools. Just like the Asian-Americans in the states.

She has a really good voice... her ED for Nodame Cantabile anime was great.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 18:16   Link #9
nanafan
horo fan

some reason she doesn't look korean to me looks more japanese..
Old 2007-08-01, 19:00   Link #10
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
some reason she doesn't look korean to me looks more japanese..
Well, technically speaking most Japanese has Korean ancestry... but the Japanese themsevles are a mix of East-Asians and SE Asian/Polynesians with a bit of Ainu thrown-in, so you can find Japanese who looked like all sorts of people. I find that a significant number of Japanese do resemble Koreans, but I would never say it out loud.

Here's Crystal Kay's website in case you don't have it:

http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/Info/C-Kay/
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 23:27   Link #11
nanafan
horo fan

true. i shouldn't say it don't want to offend anyone..thanks for the website..wow i didn't know that she released that much she has to have been around for a few years or more..
Old 2007-10-18, 16:46   Link #12
Dnous
wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Many ethnic Koreans raised in Japan (Korean-Japanese, I guess?) speak very little or no Korean, even though most do attend Korean-language schools. Just like the Asian-Americans in the states.

She has a really good voice... her ED for Nodame Cantabile anime was great.
Try listening to Butterfly's Garden (it's on her latest album All Yours). I just can't stop listening to that song >_<.
Old 2007-10-19, 16:58   Link #13
nanafan
horo fan

wow you brought back my thread to life...
Old 2007-10-20, 21:03   Link #14
Aoi_chan
☆ガ♂ル☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnous View Post
Try listening to Butterfly's Garden (it's on her latest album All Yours). I just can't stop listening to that song >_<.
All Yours is a great album! I really like "Sugar Rain", "Lonely Girl", and "Last Kiss." I think All Yours is my favorite out of her albums so far. I do really like "Crystal Style" a lot as well.
Aoi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 18:14   Link #15
nanafan
horo fan

all yours is the only cd of hers i have heard. i like it a lot i love the song she did for nodame cantabile
Old 2007-10-28, 07:39   Link #16
Dnous
wut

Got almost all of her albums. All Yours, Crystal Style and Call Me Miss are my favourite ones though.
Old 2007-10-30, 12:19   Link #17
nanafan
horo fan

sweet, i would love to get her other stuff but don't have much money. i will check them out.
Old 2007-11-04, 12:17   Link #18
Dnous
wut

Heh, got her single for the FMA ED now too. The 2nd song "As it Began" is really addicting :X (only CD I had before with "Motherland" on it were FMA Best and CK5).
Old 2007-11-04, 13:14   Link #19
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Isn't she the one who do the song of Nodame Cantabile Konna ni Chikaku de
I love her Voice
But I didn't lessen to her Other songs ....what is her last album Name ???
Old 2007-11-04, 15:40   Link #20
Dnous
wut

She did that song yeah. Her latest album is named "All Yours".